Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-24-2007, 13:13   #1
alinc

help a newbie?

I've been wanting to learn to shoot for awhile. My boyfriend said he'd teach me, but he fails at keeping commitments so I've decided to go it alone. After looking at the various offerings, I went with a Beretta Neos with the 6" barrel. I'm a lefty so no grief about not getting a Ruger please. It'll be mine on Wednesday!

I live in Lexington. Is Bud's the nearest range? Any opinions on it? Are there any other ranges in the area? I'd be particularly interested in ones that allow you to buy bulk time/memberships or offer discounts to female shooters. I'm not picky about indoors or outdoors.

Also, is there anywhere that offers classes beyond the one day CCW? I'm looking to work on my technique and improve my accuracy. I'm not inclined to carry at this time. I figure my knife or my car would be better picks than a poorly aimed .22.

I've searched KY's dept of fish & game, KC3, KSP, etc.'s sites, but I've yet to find an answer regarding outdoor shooting regulations. Is there anything on the books as far as going outside of town and plinking is concerned?
alinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 13:30   #2
cwshootersupply

Welcome to shooting alinc. There are plenty of members here who live in Lexington and they will help you.
I do know of one outdoor range. It is in Wilmore, The Bluegrass Sportsman Club. I think the dues are 150 a year and this allows use of theranges the club offers.
Hey Clyde you are in Lexington He would know.
I am in Louisville and will help you if I can.
I will invite you to shoot the Thursday night league at Bluegrass Indoor Range. We have several ladies who shoot and they are better than me.
I will post links later for you if the others don't. Again welcome.
CEW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
cwshootersupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 13:54   #3
alinc

Thanks for the welcome!

I did look into Bluegrass Sportsman's League but I'm not sure that $125 dues + $175 initiation is worth the expense. I'm in the process of changing careers so I could end up anywhere next year.

When I did FATS, I made one non-lethal hit out of the six or seven shots I'd fired. The rest killed a pair of walls. The conclusion was that I had good judgement (did well on the no-shoot scenario I'd played) and horrible accuracy. Would that sort of "success" rate be welcome or would I be considered a detriment to the league?
Old 06-24-2007, 14:04   #4
cwshootersupply

No I dont think that you be a deterent. The Thursday league is centerfire and requires some equipment to shoot ,but hey you can get you a Glock in 9mm and all the stuff to go with it.

http://www.glipsc.com/ is the link for the Thursday night shoot.

cwshootersupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 14:09   #5
alinc

Looks like fun. I'll definitely give that a go if I decide to move up in calibers/buy more stuff.
Old 06-24-2007, 16:23   #6
merc859

There is actually a member here who is a NRA pistol instructor. I believe his name on here is Bren, he should be able to help you out. You also could contact Lin Edwards from Bluegrass Sportsman League, I'm sure he could direct you to someone. His number is available on they're website. I'm from lex as well and I know there someone at Classic Arms and Archery who is a instructor as well. Good shooting!
merc859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 17:41   #7
alinc

Awesome. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2007, 21:57   #8
TreehugginGlock

Glad to see another gal breaking into the sport. Don't let your boyfriend's lack of enthusiasm spoil it for you. He's probably just scared you'll get better than he is. (seen that lots) It is a ton of fun and filled with some awesome folks. Nearly everyone that I've run into is helpful and willing to share their knowledge to help make you a better shooter. I shoot in the GLIPSC Thursday night league and enjoy it every time. (even when I screw up and we ALL do from time to time.)

Until you find a range to do live fire shooting, I suggest that you spend lots of time dry fire practicing. There are some wonderful videos that can help you with the basics like grip and proper stance, but if you can't find any you can just go to ShootingUSA.com and watch their video library, especially the ones with Todd Jarrett. I watched one where he talked about shooting prone. The next weekend I was at KAPS and they had a prone shoot at 35 yards. The boys will have to admit that I did darn good at that shoot and even beat some of our best shooters on that target. Dry fire practice on your trigger pull. Try to get as smooth as possible. Look for zero movement when the trigger fires. Go for a smooth trigger pull. Don't try to shoot fast. Shoot slow and steady. The speed will come. (I have to keep reminding myself of that too.)

Lin Edwards at the Bluegrass Sportsmen League has been a tremendous help to me. He will absolutely steer you in the right direction even if you don't think that BGSL is the right club for you.

Good luck and good shooting. Hope to see you shoot some time.

TreehugginGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:16   #9
alinc

No worries. The laziness about teaching me was indicative of larger failings and I've since dropped the dead weight.

Thanks for the link. I hadn't found that site yet.

I was under the impression that dry firing a rimfire was a bad idea?

I intend on hitting Bud's this weekend and then trying places out as time/budget allows. I've got a late flight out of Louisville next month, so I may try out Bluegrass Indoor in the morning.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:44   #10
Houngan

Correct, don't dryfire the rimfire.

What aspects of shooting are you wanting to work on, in particular? If you're just starting out, then there are some things you need to develop, and some things that will only come with practice. From what I'm reading, you don't have the time or resources right now to get a lot of live practice in, so you'd better work on fundamentals.

First, the grip. Watch this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

Shooting is like golf in a lot of ways, the first being that the grip is INCREDIBLY important. The second is that it feels weird at first, but will become second nature.

After establishing the correct position from that video, the next big thing to learn is that it is your weak hand, not your strong hand, that supplies most of the gripping force. The biggest detriment to accuracy is what happens when someone pulls a trigger. Muscles move, recoil anticipation comes in, flinches start, etc. The first thing to eliminate is muscle tension caused by gripping the gun too hard with the strong hand. You want a firm grip, but only up to the point that you can still calmly, smoothly work the trigger without any of the other hand muscles sympathetically twitching. Think of the gun + strong hand as the entire tool, and the weak hand as the support that moves the tool around.

Last tip for today, develop a good stance; this means be relaxed, don't lock any joints, and lean forward. You want your weight 70/30 on the front of your feet, to soak up recoil. (note that some of these tips will not be as relevant until you move up to centerfire pistols.)

There are a few more fundamentals, but that's enough for now. Let me know if you have any particular questions.

H.
Houngan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:05   #11
alinc

Quote:
Originally posted by Houngan What aspects of shooting are you wanting to work on, in particular?
As mentioned above, I got to play through some FATS scenarios and it was... fun, for lack of a better term. However, my accuracy blew and my primary goal is to improve it. If I can manage consistently hitting what I'm going for, then I'll consider moving up in calibers, defense, carrying, etc. Secondarily, I'm looking for a hobby that's more accessible than figure skating and doesn't rely on having a partner to practice with like kendo.

Thanks for the tips and the video link. I've got several of those left-handed diagnostic targets to help me figure out what I don't do correctly. I'm sure I'll have more specific questions once I've had the opportunity to practice and discover my specific weaknesses.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:33   #12
TreehugginGlock

Sorry about the bad recommendation of the dry fire practicing. I'm a Glock gal, and hardly anything will hurt a Glock. As for shooting one morning at Bluegrass Indoor Range in Louisville, you might want to check out their website for hours of operation. I'm thinking they don't open until mid morning, but I'm not sure.

Good luck. And Congrats on dropping the dead weight. Find you someone who will encourage you. I'm still looking too, but I know there's bound to be one out there somewhere with a brain.
TreehugginGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:22   #13
alinc

No worries. That's the great thing about the interwebz - lots of people with answers. I got to play around with an unloaded 17 and 19. I like that the safety is ambi-friendly, though fumbling around in the dark for a magazine release on the "wrong side" was less thrilling.
I'm not leaving SDF until 4 PM so a 10 AM opening time ought to allow me an hour or two of practice time before I depart.
Brains are good. As an Alzheimer's researcher, I can never have too many of them. I figure if zombies ever attack, we could strike up some sort of trade agreement.
Old 06-27-2007, 20:07   #14
pupcuss27
CLM Number 119
Charter Lifetime Member

Eye Dominance Problem

Hey Newbie,

Your lucky to have access to the FATS machine. I love training on it
my employer actually owns one and I always hit the bad guys. Remember
you can't shoot fast enough to make the misses count! (Old Saying).

From what you have mentioned it sounds like you are fairly new to
shooting I guess. Wilson Combat in AK. a custom 1911 manufacturer,
has a VCR tape on the Glock that I purchased a longtime ago. Bill
Wilson demonstrates proper stance, sight alingment, trigger pull and
much more on the tape. Try calling them or check wilsoncombat.com
and their tapes may help you through the basics.

Eye dominance, meaning the eye you use to focus in the best, must be
determined for you to properly hit the target with a handgun. You
can determine which eye is your dominante eye by aiming an "unloaded"
handgun through the gun sights at a target, close one eye determine
your sight picture, then in the same stance & sights close the other
eye and determine your sight picture. Try this, I know it might not
be explained like a professional trainer, but I think you'll know
what I mean if you try each eye separatly through the gun sights.

Your accuracy may be very simple to fix if you are using the wrong eye
to sight with to hit the Bad Guys on the FATS machine.

You'll also save a lot of money on ammo using the FATS.

Good shooting
Old 06-28-2007, 17:42   #15
alinc

Re: Eye Dominance Problem

Quote:
From what you have mentioned it sounds like you are fairly new to shooting I guess.
This is true. I've had the opportunity to get to know various guns, but have yet to do more than dry-fire one. Thinking about it the other day, I always seem to be doing so in the dark as well. I'm looking forward to going to the range this weekend and having the chance to shoot with the lights on, with a pistol I can use left-handed, and not having to give it back at the end of the day.

Quote:
Bill Wilson demonstrates proper stance, sight alingment, trigger pull and much more on the tape.
Thanks for the rec. I'll be sure to check that out.

Quote:
Eye dominance, meaning the eye you use to focus in the best, must be determined for you to properly hit the target with a handgun.
I think I've got eyes and hands down now. Innately, I'm left-handed. However, my parents switched me when I was younger and so I'm quasi-ambi/mixed dominance now. Initially I thought I was right-handed, left-eyed. Turns out that left-handed, left-eyed was easier for me. Right eye's about as strong as the left, but I see no reason to be cross-dominant. I think more practice, more light, and lefty-friendly controls will go a long way towards helping me out.

Quote:
You'll also save a lot of money on ammo using the FATS.
Alas, that was a one-time occurrence as a part of our Citizen Police Academy class. [/plug] We got to use the crayola Glocks last Tuesday in our building search exercise and while I've got the handling rules down, it's just not the same. I figure my .22 will be the next cheapest thing for practice. If I can find a nice middle of nowhere friendly farm, I'll be set for cheapness.
Old 06-28-2007, 18:08   #16
45gunner

Thanks for the U-Tube link H. It's really good.
Old 06-30-2007, 14:13   #17
alinc

Quote:
Originally posted by TreehugginGlock
Hope to see you shoot some time.
First attempt (5 yards)
Worked on this guy at 5, 7, and 10 yards
This one at 10 yards
Still wrist issues at the end of the day (7 yds), but at least I've got more in the center