Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:39   #1
TRMN8R
Lifetime Membership
Cage Fighter

UFC 73: STACKED...Predictions?

Okay, anybody wanna' throw out their picks?

Here's mine:

1. Silva vs. Marquardt: Silva
2. Robinson vs. Florian: Florian
3. Evans vs. Ortiz: Evans
4. Franca vs. Shirk: Shirk
5. Herring vs. Nogueira: Nogueira
6. Nickels vs. Bonnar: Bonnar
7. Saraiva vs. Gurgel: Gurgel
8. Lytle vs. ???: Sure, I'll give props to Lytle.

Okay, answer me this: how the hell did Marquardt get a title shot already? Granted, he has been around for a little while, but who's he fought, especially lately, that garnered him as a contender? Dean Lister? That's the ONLY guy of any significance I can think of, Dean wasn't exactly "in line", and that fight was almost six months ago.

Next up, the Shirk/Franca fight should be pretty exciting. Love watching Franca fight, but Shirk just doesn't have any quit in him and I think he'll just overpower Franca eventually. He's gassed before in earlier bouts, but if he trained the way he did for the Florian fight, he should be good to go.

Herring and Nogueira? Nogueira's not bad, but Herring's been flat-out less than impressive, IMO. He racked up a lot of wins over in Pride and they loved him over there, but I haven't seen that guy in a long time.

Nickels is a decent fighter, but Bonnar's a friggin' psycho (hence, the nickname) and I think he's hungry for the W. Guess we'll see.

Lastly, and what I think is the most important (and probably will be the best bout) is Tito and Rashad. Tito needs this win. BAD. But Rashad's been unstoppable and just continues to get better and better. It's gonna' be a battle!

Anyone else?
P30S V1
XDM-40 Tactical
A butt-load of P7's...

Last edited by TRMN8R; 06-27-2007 at 16:38..
TRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 20:02   #2
agarr

I tend to agree with your picks.

I hope Rashad smashes Tito's face. Evans is a tough, skilled fighter and should be the victor.

It is MMA and anything can happen.
agarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 22:06   #3
Halojumper

Send a message via AIM to Halojumper Send a message via Yahoo to Halojumper
I thought Bonnar tested hot for being on the juice and wasn't allowed to fight.
Halojumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 23:10   #4
TRMN8R
Lifetime Membership
Cage Fighter

Quote:
Originally posted by Halojumper
I thought Bonnar tested hot for being on the juice and wasn't allowed to fight.
You would be correct, which is why it's been awhile since we've seen him in a bout.

However, he's (supposedly) off his "supspension" period, passed recent testing, and cleared to fight.
P30S V1
XDM-40 Tactical
A butt-load of P7's...
Old 06-28-2007, 07:47   #5
Halojumper

Quote:
Originally posted by TRMN8R
You would be correct, which is why it's been awhile since we've seen him in a bout.

However, he's (supposedly) off his "supspension" period, passed recent testing, and cleared to fight.
I'm glad to hear that. It's fun to watch him fight.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:20   #6
TRMN8R
Lifetime Membership
Cage Fighter

Quote:
Originally posted by Halojumper
It's fun to watch him fight.
Absolutely .

I don't know why it is, but even he admits hes' got "punch appeal". Must be 'cuz he's too clean cut, or somethin'. Regardless, somebody'd be makin' a biiiiig mistake thinkin' he was a wus .

OTOH, most of us know better than that by now.
P30S V1
XDM-40 Tactical
A butt-load of P7's...
Old 06-28-2007, 10:33   #7
A_Fletcher
Yardwork Ninja

Re: UFC 73: STACKED...Predictions?

Quote:
Okay, anybody wanna' throw out their picks?

Here's mine:

1. Silva vs. Marquardt: Silva
4. Franca vs. Shirk: Shirk
8. Lytle vs. ???: Sure, I'll give props to Lytle.

Okay, answer me this: how the hell did Marquardt get a title shot already? Granted, he has been around for a little while, but who's he fought, especially lately, that garnered him as a contender? Dean Lister? That's the ONLY guy of any significance I can think of, Dean wasn't exactly "in line", and that fight was almost six months ago.

Next up, the Shirk/Franca fight should be pretty exciting. Love watching Franca fight, but Shirk just doesn't have any quit in him and I think he'll just overpower Franca eventually. He's gassed before in earlier bouts, but if he trained the way he did for the Florian fight, he should be good to go.

Herring and Nogueira? Nogueira's not bad, but Herring's been flat-out less than impressive, IMO. He racked up a lot of wins over in Pride and they loved him over there, but I haven't seen that guy in a long time.

Nickels is a decent fighter, but Bonnar's a friggin' psycho (hence, the nickname) and I think he's hungry for the W. Guess we'll see.

Lastly, and what I think is the most important (and probably will be the best bout) is Tito and Rashad. Tito needs this win. BAD. But Rashad's been unstoppable and just continues to get better and better. It's gonna' be a battle!

Anyone else?

You're right on your picks, however I disagree with a couple statements that you've made.

First, Nogueira will spank Herring. Heath's done nothing impressive outside of beating Mark Kerr years ago. Aside from that, he's been a punching bag for most of the PRIDE fighters. He's incredibly over-rated and while he's made it farther than I ever will, I know that I can't compete at that level.

Marquardt is another one that's just a guy who's getting a title shot because the middle weight pool is so shallow. There's not really anyone there aside from Rich, and there won't be until Dana puts Dennis Kang or Dan Henderson in that class as well. With the addition of those two, then maybe we'll see some top talent competing against each other.
A_Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:01   #8
Halojumper

Quote:
Absolutely .

I don't know why it is, but even he admits hes' got "punch appeal". Must be 'cuz he's too clean cut, or somethin'. Regardless, somebody'd be makin' a biiiiig mistake thinkin' he was a wus
I made that mistake when he was on the TUF show. Wehn I first saw him, I thought exactly what you said and figured he wouldn't make it past a couple of episodes.
Old 06-28-2007, 13:13   #9
TRMN8R
Lifetime Membership
Cage Fighter

Re: Re: UFC 73: STACKED...Predictions?

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Fletcher
You're right on your picks, however I disagree with a couple statements that you've made.

First, Nogueira will spank Herring. Heath's done nothing impressive outside of beating Mark Kerr years ago. Aside from that, he's been a punching bag for most of the PRIDE fighters. He's incredibly over-rated and while he's made it farther than I ever will, I know that I can't compete at that level.

Marquardt is another one that's just a guy who's getting a title shot because the middle weight pool is so shallow. There's not really anyone there aside from Rich, and there won't be until Dana puts Dennis Kang or Dan Henderson in that class as well. With the addition of those two, then maybe we'll see some top talent competing against each other.
Fair enough, Fletch.

Just to be clear, I don't think I ever said I thought Herring was worth a crap. But I do know he racked up a lot of wins in Pride; he does have a 27-12-1 record. Those wins came from SOMEwhere, and it sure as hell wasn't in the UFC. To be perfectly honest, I can't even recall the last time I saw Herring actually win a fight. The guy's a scrub. I think Dana just brought him over with a few of the other Pride fighters to add some "spice" to the heavyweight division which was sorely lacking in depth. Must've got a discount for every additional fighter he signed after Mirko .

OTOH, I'd have to agree to disagree with you about the Middleweight division, though. In addition to Ace (who's flat-out my favorite fighter, BTW, with Michael Bisping a very close 2nd), even though hot'n'cold (like he was against Swick) Loiseau is NO joke, Swick IS quick and explosive (although I don't know what happened to him in his last bout), Cote's no slouch, Leben's absolutely tough as nails (he just needs to focus), DeWees IS a good fighter (just "iffy"), Baroni's a bad-ass, and of course, there's Silva.

I give you that their gene pool could certainly stand to be deeper (like the light heavyweights, which is sooooo friggin' stacked!), but their division's a far cry from the heavyweights, even with Cro Cop and Couture.
P30S V1
XDM-40 Tactical
A butt-load of P7's...

Last edited by TRMN8R; 06-28-2007 at 13:15..
Old 06-28-2007, 13:43   #10
A_Fletcher
Yardwork Ninja

Re: Re: Re: UFC 73: STACKED...Predictions?

Quote:
Fair enough, Fletch.

Just to be clear, I don't think I ever said I thought Herring was worth a crap. But I do know he racked up a lot of wins in Pride; he does have a 27-12-1 record. Those wins came from SOMEwhere, and it sure as hell wasn't in the UFC. To be perfectly honest, I can't even recall the last time I saw Herring actually win a fight. The guy's a scrub. I think Dana just brought him over with a few of the other Pride fighters to add some "spice" to the heavyweight division which was sorely lacking in depth. Must've got a discount for every additional fighter he signed after Mirko .

OTOH, I'd have to agree to disagree with you about the Middleweight division, though. In addition to Ace (who's flat-out my favorite fighter, BTW, with Michael Bisping a very close 2nd), even though hot'n'cold (like he was against Swick) Loiseau is NO joke, Swick IS quick and explosive (although I don't know what happened to him in his last bout), Cote's no slouch, Leben's absolutely tough as nails (he just needs to focus), DeWees IS a good fighter (just "iffy"), Baroni's a bad-ass, and of course, there's Silva.

I give you that their gene pool could certainly stand to be deeper (like the light heavyweights, which is sooooo friggin' stacked!), but their division's a far cry from the heavyweights, even with Cro Cop and Couture.

The main thing with Herring is that he has hot days and cold days just like everyone else. It seems like his "hot" days are more luke warm than hot. If you watch, he still bends over at the waist when he throws with anyone. The last fight of his that I was moderately impressed with, was when he fought a Russian guy. That was really good grappling and he even tapped the guy with a text book Americana.

As for the middleweights, alot of those guys are good at one thing with the exception of Rich. Loiseau is good standing up (especially with those razor blade elbows of his), Swick is actually really good at his grappling but again is lacking stand up (at least from what we've seen thus far), and Cote is well.....just Cote. If he could get with a good camp that fits his style of doing things, he'd be an A level fighter. Personally, I think he should look into Team Quest or Team Punishment. Both of those are top of the line GNP camps that would help alot.

The pool at heavy weight isn't actually too bad if you look at it on paper. While I despise the monstrosity that is Tim Sylvia, you have to give that he's got talent to be where he's at. There's Brandon Vera there (at least I still think so, I've not seen anything about him signing somewhere else), Andrei Arlovski, Cro-Cop (everyone gets caught and has a bad night. Try youtube for some of his fights. He's nothing short of awe-inspiring), Couture, Mir (who even as a shadow of his former self who I believe is afraid of getting hurt could still kick ass if he got it in gear again) and Minotauro just to name a few. I think with that class, there could be alot of fireworks. I don't know why they don't bill that more and try to help some of these guys who are lagging a little bit. I don't mean help as in give them easy fights, I mean help them as in get them out there more. Pair them against each other.

Unfortunately, at this point in time the professional top teir level MMA is just so small that we're going to get rematch after rematch. I don't know how else to fix it then to talk to each camp and maybe get some of their up and comers into the mix as well.
Old 06-28-2007, 14:03   #11
TRMN8R
Lifetime Membership
Cage Fighter

Re: Re: Re: Re: UFC 73: STACKED...Predictions?

Quote:
Unfortunately, at this point in time the professional top teir level MMA is just so small that we're going to get rematch after rematch. I don't know how else to fix it then to talk to each camp and maybe get some of their up and comers into the mix as well.
Yeah, I agree with that assessment. At least AFA things sit now.

Just for curiousity's sake, you ever get a chance to watch TapouT or WEC (WorldExtremeCagefighting)? Lots of (potential) up-and-comers available there...
P30S V1
XDM-40 Tactical
A butt-load of P7's...
Old 06-28-2007, 14:24   #12
A_Fletcher
Yardwork Ninja

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: UFC 73: STACKED...Predictions?

Quote:
Yeah, I agree with that assessment. At least AFA things sit now.

Just for curiousity's sake, you ever get a chance to watch TapouT or WEC (WorldExtremeCagefighting)? Lots of (potential) up-and-comers available there...

I've not seen TapouT, but I have seen WEC once or twice. I think Urijah Faber would make a great asset to 155. There's a few others, but the names escape me. There's also another promotion here in Ohio with a name that's something to the effect of Ohio Cage Fighting. Alot of those guys are awful, but there's a few that I'd like to see fight on a larger level.
Old 06-28-2007, 14:53   #13
TRMN8R
Lifetime Membership
Cage Fighter

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: UFC 73: STACKED...Predictions?

Quote:
I think Urijah Faber would make a great asset to 155.
Absolutely! For a 55lb.'r, that kid's a frickin' animal ! Very, very talented. Would definitely be entertaining to see how far he could take it in the UFC .
P30S V1
XDM-40 Tactical
A butt-load of P7's...
Old 07-06-2007, 20:06   #14
K-DOG

1. Silva vs. Marquardt: Marquardt
4. Franca vs. Sherk: Franca
8. Lytle vs. Jason Gilliam : Lytle

I am going with Marquardt on this one.. I would think he is going to GnP Silva. He may not be the most exciting fighters but he is undefeated in 4 UFC fights. Heck, Silva got a title shot after beating Leben in the UFC fight night. Both have impressive records outside UFC so I guess its a wash.
Old 07-08-2007, 21:39   #15
TRMN8R
Lifetime Membership
Cage Fighter

Well, looks like I'm battin' a thousand...kind of. Okay, how's .999 ?

Didn't really account for a draw and to be honest, I'm really disappointed with that fight. If Tito hadn't been deducted a point across for grabbing the cage to avoid the take down, he actually would've gotten the "W". Rashad seemed too pre-occupied with doing his normal juke and jive and Tito didn't look too interested in that crap; he came ready to bang.

Seemed to gas a bit deep in the second, though; NOT normal for Tito as his conditioning has always been a strong point for him. However, once Rashad got that late take down near the close of the third round and started imposing his will, it "could" have gone his way had there been more time remaining. Really could've put a serious hurtin' on Ortiz, had there been enough time.

Guess we'll have to wait 'til "Ortiz/Evans 2". Hopefully it'll go better than the first one .

Really kinda' pissed that the one fight I wanted to see but didn't was the Bonnar fight. UFC.com said the American Psycho made quick work of Mike Nickels by submitting him with a rear naked choke in the first round. Would like to have seen that. Look forward to seeing him in his next bout (hopefully).
P30S V1
XDM-40 Tactical
A butt-load of P7's...
Old 07-08-2007, 23:24   #16
K-DOG

Nice work..

You know what I really have no interest in seeing Tito/Rashad II. I bet they do it on a free Ultimate Fight Night.

I have no idea why Herring backed off and let him stand up... Granted many other refs would have stopped it soon as that kick landed.
Old 07-08-2007, 23:52   #17
TRMN8R
Lifetime Membership
Cage Fighter

Well, after as blah as #1 was, #2 should be free!

It'd take a whole lot for me to miss a UFC PPV event, but if that's supposed to be the Main Event, I actually might have to take a pass.

Truth be told, I was NOT expecting much from the Herring fight. Already stated I haven't seen anything impressive from the guy since I don't know when. Really figured Nogueira would just dominate him (like the first two times), but Herring must've eaten a box or two of Wheaties before the bout 'cuz he seemed to have plenty of energy.

When he rocked Nogueira with that kick, I thought it was a done deal. Herring definitely could've finished him on the ground, but for some reason wanted to stand up. I think he wanted to make a statement by knocking him out trading leather, but when you need a "W", you really just need to finish the fight, regardless of the method you utilize. Hopefully he learned that. If nothing else, Herring proved to me that he's not all hype and no heat.
P30S V1
XDM-40 Tactical
A butt-load of P7's...
Old 07-09-2007, 05:56   #18
gr81disp
Bushbot v1.0

Send a message via AIM to gr81disp
Marquardt deserved the title shot because he is 4-0 in the UFC, just after the Salaverry debacle they wouldn't put him on TV. As for the Middleweight division, it is pretty thin.

Although Cote, Leben and Dewees are all good and entertaining fighters, they are NOT title contenders. Swick is dropping to Welterweight, Baroni is fighting for Showtime's EliteXC (where he was choked unconscious by Frank Shamrock, and then tested positive for steroids) and Loiseau is not even a wisp of a shadow of his former self. Franklin broke him and he has lost his last 3 in a row.

Don't expect Faber to fight at 155 or Henderson at 185. Faber is dominant at 145 but that is mostly from a dearth of talent and he would probably be killed at 155, which is stacked. Henderson won't go to 185 because right now, all the big money fights are at 205.

The only person that would be exciting and is kinda available is Paulo Filho. Dana is sending him to WEC, but I predict that within a year, two at most, Filho will be in the UFC. The only problem is that he trains with Anderson Silva, so when title fights come up, there might be problems.

If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory.
gr81disp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:30   #19
TRMN8R
Lifetime Membership
Cage Fighter

Quote:
Originally posted by gr81disp
Marquardt deserved the title shot because he is 4-0 in the UFC, just after the Salaverry debacle they wouldn't put him on TV.

Don't expect Faber to fight at 155 or Henderson at 185. Faber is dominant at 145 but that is mostly from a dearth of talent and he would probably be killed at 155, which is stacked.
So four wins gets you a title shot? Since when? If that were the case, then Swick should've fought Rich...or Silva (not counting the Okami snafu). Yeah, I know: shoulda'/woulda'/coulda' beat Okami; but for some reason, he just wasn't all in. Regardless, before that, he had five straight wins.

Wasn't aware that Swick was dropping weight, either. I think that's a baaaad idea. I like Swick and I think he's an entertaining and explosive fighter, but at this point, I think he could get owned in WW.

Granted, I don't think he should go up to LHW (although he could certainly use the muscle/strength), but lighter? Yeah, I think MW's exactly where he should stay. Save for one crappy bout (Okami), he's been extremely successful there.

AFA Faber getting stomped in the '55 lb. division? You're on. If he bumps up, I'll take that bet. Coulda' sworn I'd already seen him fight at 55 (and win), but guess I need to do a second check.
P30S V1
XDM-40 Tactical
A butt-load of P7's...
Old 07-09-2007, 10:39   #20
gr81disp
Bushbot v1.0

Send a message via AIM to gr81disp
Actually, I was surprised Swick didn't get a title shot after beating Loiseau, but I think that had to do with Silva having knee surgery and then the promised shot to Lutter from TUF 5. Swick decided after the Okami fight he would try WW on for size, but I think moving from a good division to the best in the world is not a good career move.

Also, I should reword my Faber comment. Faber would do OK at 155, but I don't think he would ever fight for the title. With Penn (who is fighting Sherk next), Pulver, Lauzon, Gamburyan, Franca, Sherk, and even Joe Stevenson, although he has skills, I just don't think that Faber has the horsepower to contend with the above fighters. Penn, Sherk, Franca, and Stevenson started out being competitive at WW then moved down. Faber is starting at Featherweight(?) and moving up.

If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory.
gr81disp is offline   Reply With Quote