SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:42   #41
GSD17
Thread Killer

Here's my 411.

I am in the Calhoun County (Anniston) area.

I don't much care what kind of shooting we do. I am GA POST certified, and as far as a set course, that is really the only shooting I have ever done that was timed/scored.

I have several different GLOCKs, I'll bring them all if I can come, and give folks a chance to handle/shoot models they have never shot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- I will trade parts for full cap G17 magazines.
GLOCK Certified Armorer
GSSF Member
G17,G17L,G17R,G17T,G19cutaway,G20,G21,G22,G22,G22P,G23,G26,G27,G31,G35,G37,G42
GSD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 13:32   #42
sgtslwilson

I also live near Anniston (Talladega). GSD, maybe we can ride together and save gas money??

Anyway, Im all for any type of shoot. I've shot IDPA a few times and it was fun but I've never shot a 3 gun. I don't have any type of rifle for that. I've got a couple of Glocks and a Winnie 1300 defender but that's it.

Even if it is a formal competition, I'll still show up. It sounds like fun.

I Nominate GSD for the meeting president. someone to take charge and make this happen.

Kel-Tec Talk member# 1

Join the fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
sgtslwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 15:19   #43
GSD17
Thread Killer

Not super familiar with 3 gun, what kind of gun is used? AR? I have a Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine M4A3 I could let you play with?

I'm also all for saving gas money!

GLOCK Certified Armorer
GSSF Member
Old 08-08-2007, 16:40   #44
sgtslwilson

Sounds good.

Kel-Tec Talk member# 1

Join the fun!

Old 08-11-2007, 04:37   #45
Joe D

Just shoot on of the IDPA matches. Montgomery or Birmingham would be pretty central for most folks. Not trying to be a wet blanket, but I really don't have much intrest in just burning ammo for no purpose.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:12   #46
sgtslwilson

Hey wet blanket.

The purpose would be fellowship.

Kel-Tec Talk member# 1

Join the fun!

Old 08-12-2007, 15:46   #47
Joe D

It is OK to talk to each other during a match. Plenty of fellowship available. I think most folks are just afraid to shoot a match.
Old 08-12-2007, 19:38   #48
GSD17
Thread Killer

Ok, so since it isn't a scored competition (yet) Joe D isn't coming.

GLOCK Certified Armorer
GSSF Member
Old 08-13-2007, 05:50   #49
Joe D

Bring a timer, set up some stages and I will be there.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:01   #50
Joe D

I am not picking on anyone - just trying to get more guys and gals into shooting IDPA or IPSC. I have had zero results with the local law enforcement community here. Those guys live in their own little "Macho Club". They have convinced themselves they can shoot. The sad fact is my wife can out shoot every single member of the Hoover PD including SWAT.
Heck I have even offered to pay their match fee. Those brave souls that have shot one of our matches usually finishes at the bottom. They never come back.
When we lived in Atlanta I trained dozens of LE guys and gals. Did it for free. You would think they would like some free help here - nope. The training officer, who can't hit his ass with both hands, never took me up on my offer to help.
Don't know why I got off on this tangent.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:25   #51
sgtslwilson

I think maybe because you are arrogant?

I personally don't need you to train me. I shoot enough IDPA myself. I just wanted to get together with fellow GTers and shoot the bull as well as guns.

Kel-Tec Talk member# 1

Join the fun!

Old 08-13-2007, 11:07   #52
GSD17
Thread Killer

To be honest, I am LE, and have never competed in any competition. I am sure about everyone in this thread could smoke me.

I don't much care though. My main reason for not competing is money/time.

I'd love to get into it one day though, maybe GSSF.

GLOCK Certified Armorer
GSSF Member
Old 08-13-2007, 12:49   #53
Joe D

Let's see sgtslwilson, I donated hundreds of hours a year free of charge to any LE that wanted or needed to improve their shooting skills. Guess that makes me arrogant.
Could be I just wanted to help them with a part of their job that could either cost them their life or save their life.
GSD17, if you ever get to Birmingham your match fee is on me. IDPA, while not training, is much better than the "stand and shoot" training I see most of the LE guys get.
I guess what prompted me to offer the same deal to the Hoover PD was after seeing a female officer trying to shoot her weapon at the typical "milk bottle" target. At 10 yards fully half of her rounds were hitting the dirt under the target. Her grip, stance and trigger control were all wrong. I kept waiting for the training officer to correct these issues. He never even saw them.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:10   #54
GSD17
Thread Killer

Wow.

I am a GA LEO, while our course is no IDPA course, it does at least require: timed firing, kneeling, stepping, combat reloads, headshots, stepping and shouting, drawing and firing... and the like. There is a standard 30rd course, you have to qualify twice a year minimum. You can do that course, or another one if it is harder than the normal one.

Thanks for the invite, one of these days I'd like to get around to competitions. I always enjoy qualifying, even though I ain't the greatest. I did pull off "Top Gun" in my academy class, dunno if it was luck, or pressure.

GLOCK Certified Armorer
GSSF Member
Old 08-14-2007, 04:37   #55
Joe D

GSD, what always bothered me with the Qualification Course is it was designed not to fail LEs. I had several conversations with the guys that ran the course. They told me if they made it any tougher half the force would fail. The indoor range in Norcross was used by 3 Depts. I could always tell when Qualification would be getting close - my cell phone would start ringing. Each of the 3 Depts. provided plenty of free practice ammo and range time for their guys and gals. Most of it went unused.
The sad thing was there were only two guys that I would have felt comfortable with covering me. One of my friends was a Sgt. with Doraville. He met me at the range one day to let me shoot his new issue weapon - FN 57. What a P.O.S.! He got a blank look on his face when I asked him how he liked carrying a gun that would shoot through HIS vest. I think they have since gotten rid of that junk.
I guess I told a small lie in saying that I did the training for free. They kept me stocked up with Ranger Talon. Didn't ask for it. They just gave it to me.
I am going to help a friend of mine, that is the Training Officer with Trussville, come up with some more realistic training.
I did have great fun being the "bad guy" with the Sim Gun over in Atlanta. One "traffic stop" scenario had a rookie approach the car. I popped him twice in the face mask with the gun I was holding against my chest. He yelled "Hey that's not fair." Rest of the guys got a pretty good chuckle with that one.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:55   #56
GSD17
Thread Killer

Simunitons hurt don't they?

I have a G17T.

Big +1 on not carrying a FN 5.7.

That is the first rule, pick a vest that will stop at least what you carry.

At every fight, there is always at least 1 gun. Yours.

GLOCK Certified Armorer
GSSF Member
Old 08-15-2007, 17:53   #57
hankfan79

Umm all I can add to this discusion is that when I used to shoot outside of Montgomery. Our local shooters out performed Autauga County police in their own qualifier!!

At that particular time I think I was a NOVICE in the IDPA

Hey Joe, lets get us a badge!!

Custom--Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator
hankfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 21:45   #58
Keith5579
STONEHOUSE

Send a message via AIM to Keith5579

Quote:
Originally posted by hankfan79
Umm all I can add to this discusion is that when I used to shoot outside of Montgomery. Our local shooters out performed Autauga County police in their own qualifier!!

At that particular time I think I was a NOVICE in the IDPA

Hey Joe, lets get us a badge!!

I hope you understand there is alot more to the job than firing a weapon better than someone.

Joe, PM sent.
Old 08-16-2007, 23:24   #59
GSD17
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith5579
I hope you understand there is alot more to the job than firing a weapon better than someone.

Joe, PM sent.
Amen. This is in no way directed to be rude, but alot of people love to make fun of how alot of cops aren't gun people.

Granted, most cops are not proficient as they should be with their firearms, I agree with that. but alot are.

It isn't easy to find range time alot. I work a 12 hour shift myself, not counting the drive home and back, getting dressed takes forever to get it to look decent as well. You end up running hours and hours over every day alot of the time, since you just HAD to stop that one last car, that ends up being a DUI.

Then on offdays, city court, state court, superior court, license hearings, administrative hearings, evidence hearings, magistrate court, warrant signings, etc. etc. etc.

Then there are training requirements. Some things we have to do yearly, or twice a year. Agency meetings, in service training that takes hours, days, or weeks depending on the class and its location. I have been in this only a little over a year, and have been all over GA, and even to New Orleans for in service..

PAPERWORK!

Worrying about getting sued every time you turn around.

Legal updates... law changes faster than people change underwear.

We tote alot more than a gun.

Gotta worry about keeping up current training requirements for :
primary sidearm, backup sidearms(s), shotgun, rifle, radar, laser, ASP, OC, Taser, defensive tactics, DUI classes, etc. etc. etc....

There is alot more to being a cop than learning how to shoot, clocking in, writing tickets, and clocking out.

It is an awesome job, but the responsibility, burden on home life, and time/effort it takes just to STAY a cop by keeping up with what the agency/city/county/state/feds require that you keep up with is overwhelming.

Take this for an example. Sometimes I come home to Alabama after work (I usually stay over here in GA).

Say I get up at 3p GA time to go to work... an hour to get ready puts me at 4p, and hour drive gets me there at 5p. Enough time for roll call and to get updated on whats up. Hit the road at 6p. Sometime at night I lock up some turd for running from me. Well, I normallt get off at 6, but now I got to wait around to find a judge to sign my warrant. Try to find a judge that won't scream if you call them at 6am. By 9 I have found a judge and by 10 I am enroute home. Get home, shower, bed by noon. 1:30p judge calls, warrant was dated wrong (even though HE dated it. But I have to go back and get it resigned. So up, dress, drive, hunt judge, sign... BACK again... 24 hour day easily. That is always good IF you don't have to work that night. Which is often.

Or getting off at 6am, having to stay until 9 for court, staying at court until about 4pm, then they come in and say that they plead your case early in the morning, and that you didn't even have to be there. Then you have 2 hours until your 12 hr. night shift starts.

Am I rambling?

I am not complaining, I love every minuite... well almost... of being a polic officer, but it isn't all car chases and shootouts like on TV, and there is alot more to it that being a dead eye.

Still I agree, alot of them out there need to become more proficient with their firearms, their lives, and others depend on it. I just hope yall can see why alot of them arent.

GLOCK Certified Armorer
GSSF Member
Old 08-17-2007, 05:13   #60
hankfan79

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith5579

Joe, PM sent.

Custom--Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator
hankfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote