Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-30-2007, 14:46   #1
southernshooter

gun show

Another gun show this weekend at Jamil. WASR's $399, mosins $118 (wood looks really good) etc. Seen one gun show, seen em all.
Old 06-30-2007, 14:51   #2
ranger88
CLM Number 130
Charter Lifetime Member

Just got back a little while ago. Nothing there that I was looking for. Not even cheap ammo. Oh well... what's an hour and $7.00 spent.
Old 06-30-2007, 22:24   #3
beavis1957
GO GAMECOCKS!

Yeah, it wasn't great. I did pick up a Stag Arms AR lower though for $120 out the door. I didn't think that was bad at all.

I've already ordered a lower parts kit for it, but am really struggling with what upper to buy and where. Any ideas guys?

Also, I overheard multiple dealers talking about how slow things were today. I'm not exactly sure why....maybe it's because the shows get more lame every time.
beavis1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:10   #4
CarlosC
AK Fanatic

Beavis, you picked up exactly what I needed. I am going today to get a lower and I am looking specifically for a Stag Arms.
CarlosC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:53   #5
beavis1957
GO GAMECOCKS!

Quote:
Originally posted by CarlosC
Beavis, you picked up exactly what I needed. I am going today to get a lower and I am looking specifically for a Stag Arms.
These guys were on the right side of the first row on the right about midway down when you walk in the door. Hopefully they have some left.

Any ideas for the rest of my build?
Old 07-01-2007, 11:31   #6
CarlosC
AK Fanatic

I found them and I got the last one from them. Good thing too because another guy wanted one, but I was there first. The advertised price was $125 + tax, but I mentioned someone had bought the same thing the day before for $120 out the door, so that's what they sold it to me for. I think the name is Upstate Arms or something like that.

As for your build, what are you going for?

I already have a full size AR and an M-4, but I am going very light, simple and inexpensive (as much as possible) on this one. I am going to build a CAR-type rifle. Bushmaster has a very thin 16" barrel that I'd like to use. I am seriously considering an A-1 upper and a 4-position stock to keep costs down.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:05   #7
beavis1957
GO GAMECOCKS!

Congrats on getting the last one, Carlos.

Well, I'm going for a carbine, I guess. I'm not really concerned as to whether it is M4 profile or not.

The main thing is 16" chrome lined and a flat top upper.

I would like to go with Rock River or Bushmaster, but really would like to get the best value. It seems uppers for those two have gone up in price quite a bit since I was last looking. I mainly want reliability.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 07-01-2007, 14:45   #8
CarlosC
AK Fanatic

Reliability will not be a problem with either of the two you mentioned. My full size AR is all Bushmaster and my M-4 is mostly RRA with a Bushy barrel and a mix of other parts. They have been 100% reliable for many years (Bushy 11, RRA 5). It actually doesn't matter where the parts come from as long as you stick with noted manufacturers since all the parts will fit together.

I am partial to Bushmaster barrels, which are chrome lined. They aren't cheap though, but you don't want to skimp on the barrel. I may try an Olympic barrel though, since they are cheaper for basically the same thing, like their 16" featherweight, 1 in 9", 416 stainless steel barrel.
I was looking at an FN barreled upper at the gun show, but the barrel was a 1 in 7 twist, which limits you somewhat in the bullet weights you can use. 1 in 9 is more versatile.

As far as uppers go, RRA and Olympic are about $50 cheaper for the same flat top upper as a Bushy.

If you go with a flat top, I would strongly suggest you also have a backup iron sight as well.

Are you planning on building the entire thing, or just building the lower and buying a pre-assembled upper?
Old 07-01-2007, 15:09   #9
beavis1957
GO GAMECOCKS!

Quote:
Originally posted by CarlosC

Are you planning on building the entire thing, or just building the lower and buying a pre-assembled upper?
Thanks for the info. I'm planning on buying a complete upper.

I've looked online at the stag uppers and a few others as cheaper options, but I haven't found a lot of reviews on them, although I've not thoroughly searched arfcom.

Do you typically buy your uppers/parts online? I've been looking at Model 1 Sales and Del-Ton, and a few others.
Old 07-01-2007, 15:48   #10
CarlosC
AK Fanatic

All my parts have been purchased on-line except for a lower parts kit I bought from Rooks Sales. I only did that because the parts were in a sealed RRA baggie.
I am a little concerned about buying parts from gunshow vendors because you can't tell who made the parts. I have seen a gunshow AR-15 hammer snap into two pieces the first time it was used. It looked like pot metal.