SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-01-2007, 16:15   #1
Glock Bob
Snack Attack!!!

Mandriva problems (RPM db)

I have Mandriva installed as a dual boot option along with XP. I was trying to install Winamp 3.0 beta 1 and it said there was a problem with XFree86. I attempted to update X but I didn't pay attention and overwrote some files. I ended up trying a reinstall but the RPM database seemed corrupt (did not show any packages as not being installed). I tried another reinstall, this time redoing the partitions in Mandriva. That didn't work so I deleted the partitions in XP, formatted it to FAT32, then tried a reinstall. Still no luck. It would seem that after that many reinstalls it would load a good RPM database. What can I try to fix it?
Old 07-01-2007, 16:48   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Re: Mandriva problems (RPM db)

Quote:
Originally posted by Glock Bob
I have Mandriva installed as a dual boot option along with XP. I was trying to install Winamp 3.0 beta 1 and it said there was a problem with XFree86. I attempted to update X but I didn't pay attention and overwrote some files. I ended up trying a reinstall but the RPM database seemed corrupt (did not show any packages as not being installed). I tried another reinstall, this time redoing the partitions in Mandriva. That didn't work so I deleted the partitions in XP, formatted it to FAT32, then tried a reinstall. Still no luck. It would seem that after that many reinstalls it would load a good RPM database. What can I try to fix it?
Winamp for Mandriva?

I've not used Mandriva in a long time, but it would certainly seem you've taken every step possible. Did you install Mandriva to Fat32? If so, you might try reformatting that Mandriva partition to NTFS(which I think should give it back to XP), then re-partition the drive and reinstall Mandriva...

Wierd problem...

GIF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 16:55   #3
Washington,D.C.

The last version of Mandrake/Mandriva to use Xfree86 was 10.0 I think. Newer versions use Xorg. Either way when updating the X server the X server should not be running. It should be updated while running in text mode. I think there were name changes done when Mandrake became Mandriva and this makes the websites change the names. Is it that it can't find any updates?
Washington,D.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 17:01   #4
Washington,D.C.

Some interesting RPM's here

http://rpm.nyvalls.se/

Best fix for Mandrivq RPM's here (follow instructions, copy and paste final result and run in terminal)

http://plf.zarb.org/
Old 07-01-2007, 17:12   #5
Washington,D.C.

Winamp for Windows is up to version 5 now. Winamp 3 for Linux was a test version that never worked very well and was dropped(2003)(released 2002). You would be better off downloading the Win32 codecs.

Last edited by Washington,D.C.; 07-01-2007 at 17:15..
Old 07-01-2007, 17:36   #6
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
Winamp for Windows is up to version 5 now. Winamp 3 for Linux was a test version that never worked very well and was dropped(2003)(released 2002). You would be better off downloading the Win32 codecs.
I didn't even know WInamp was ever out for Linux, learn something new every day. There's a wide variety of media players to choose from rather than using Winamp.
Old 07-02-2007, 19:36   #7
Glock Bob
Snack Attack!!!

Well, I've tried and tried, but I still can't get it to work. I'm currently downloading the newest release of Kubuntu, as I've heard lots of folks raving over Feisty Fawn. Is it fairly easy to drive?
Old 07-03-2007, 04:11   #8
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Well, I've tried and tried, but I still can't get it to work. I'm currently downloading the newest release of Kubuntu, as I've heard lots of folks raving over Feisty Fawn. Is it fairly easy to drive?
Ubuntu is about as easy as it gets. Its by far got the most money behind it, and the most community support. I've been using a straight Debian system for the last month or so, and really like it.

Ubuntu is a good distro to cut your teeth on, just remember one thing. ITS NOT WINDOWS. I don't know your familiarity with Windows, but you can chuck about 99% of it out the door, because it won't mean anything when you're learning Linux. One of my favorite things to hear people say is "I'm really computer literate, and I just can't do(insert something here). Truth is, they're Windows literate, and they're used to doing things Windows ways. Once I learned that I had to completely learn a whole new OS, and almost everything I knew about Windows was useless, the switch was much easier for me.

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty

Thats a good FAQ when you have questions about adding DVD support, multimedia support, etc. Note, before you use that FAQ, completely read 1.4.10 "How to add repositories", and follow the instructions before using that FAQ, otherwise, you'll just end up frustrated when none of the commands work. Note, follow the part about "manually editing your sources list" and add all the repositories it has in the box, to get the most out of the FAQ, then make sure you follow the instructions to download the gpg keys, or you'll get errors when you update your sources list....

IGF

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 07-03-2007 at 15:35..
Old 07-03-2007, 12:38   #9
Washington,D.C.

Ubuntu is the biggest and is a great all around choice. PCLinuxOS is designed for home PC's and doesn't include any server software but it has to be the easiest to get going. It has great quality control but it's not huge operation. Dell is pre-installing Uburtu in some of their PC's now without Windows. They are using 7.04. With either one you will have to download the Win32 codecs because it's not on the install disks if you want to run Windows Media files. It's not difficult though. Also the same for playing DVD movies which is a different download. They are all free though.
Old 07-03-2007, 20:08   #10
Glock Bob
Snack Attack!!!

I actually started out in Linux with Knoppix (3.2 or so) and have had either dual- or tri-boot off and on over the past few years. For the most part I was just playing around, checking things out. However, I tried the Mandriva Live CD and liked it alot more than Knoppix, so I installed it. I got pretty serious about, to the point that I used it 99.9% of the time. I learned how to mount Samba and CIFS shares, edit scripts, chmod, the whole nine (or at least 5 or 6). I'd really like to get Kubuntu going so I can get my fix again.

On a side note, I ran the Live CD version of Mandriva again and it too said that there were no packages that were not installed. I tried the Knoppix 5.1.1 Live CD and it said that there were some left to install. It would seem to me that at least the Live Mandriva would have said there were packages yet to install.
Old 07-03-2007, 20:36   #11
Washington,D.C.

If you want the new and improved version of Knoppix you should really Sidux. It's has a straight Debian kernel and is 100% Debian compatible unlike Knoppix and iir's custom kernel. Ubuntu got a big break by coming out when Debian was going through some hard times. Ubuntu has more money than any other Linux too. Debian seems to have got everything sorted out now. Sidux can be run as a live CD. I think it's all opensource so unlike Knoppix Java is not included on the CD I don't think. It runs pretty gast which is what kept me away from Ubuntu for a while but the current version seems to have better speed than before. My PC's are old. On a new PC I most likely wouldn't notice the speed difference.
Old 07-06-2007, 18:45   #12
Glock Bob
Snack Attack!!!

Well, I got Kubuntu installed, and with the exception of getting used to the differences between it and Mandriva it's gone pretty smoothly. However, I'm having a problem with Google Earth (as I did in Mandriva) being extremely choppy when redrawing the image. I figure there may be a video mode that needs to be changed but I don't know if I know where to start looking to change it.
Old 07-06-2007, 19:06   #13
Washington,D.C.

I have Google Earth in Sabayon Linux. I don't use it often but I do have the 3d drivers for my graphics card installed. They were included in the default install of Sabayon Linux but are not part of the default install of Mandriva or Kubuntu. What graphics do you have? Intal? Nvidia? ATI? Nvidia is the one best supported by Linux. The others can be difficult to impossible to install.
Old 07-06-2007, 19:55   #14
Glock Bob
Snack Attack!!!

I have an nVidia GeForce 7 (sure glad it's not ATI).
Old 07-06-2007, 20:02   #15
Washington,D.C.

Quote:
I have an nVidia GeForce 7 (sure glad it's not ATI).
In Kubumtu 7.04 it's suppose to be easier to install the Nvidia drivers than in previous versions. I don't have it installed right now. I did download the entire the DVD. I know it's not on any of the CD's and I'm not sure if it's included in the DVD, I haven't installed yet. If you download the Nvidia Linux G-force driver it's suppose to be fairly easy to install. Not as "easy" as Windows but easier than it was in the past on older versions.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:11   #17
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

That second link that DC posted, in my opinin, is the best of the bunch. Its the one I used w/ narry a hitch. Whats the specs of this machine you're using Google Earth on? I never used Google earth(on windows or Linux), but when you posted your Issue, I just installed it, and it seems to run fine.

Interesting program!

IGF

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 07-07-2007 at 07:19..
Old 07-07-2007, 09:52   #18
Glock Bob
Snack Attack!!!

Specs (off the top of my head, anyway):

Pentium D 2.79 GHz
1 GB SDRAM
250 GB Samsung (I was unaware they made HDDs)
nVidia GeForce 7300 LE (128 MB)

It's relatively current (I bought it in August or September of 2006). I think the problem with Earth is the driver. It's now using the generic "nv" driver, which works fine 99% of the time. However, I am a little reluctant to update the driver, especially after killing Mandriva. I've got this one setup more than enough to be my everyday OS.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:59   #19
Glock Bob
Snack Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by IndyGunFreak
That second link that DC posted, in my opinin, is the best of the bunch.
The only problem with those instructions is that I don't see "Restricted Devices Manager" in my System menu. Any way to Konsole it?

As a side note, I'm having issues with customizing the K menu. I've setup a Programs entry (like Windows). Within that I have an Accessories folder and I'd like to put in an Extra folder (to hold misc programs I don't use too often). However, the Extra folder never wants to go into the Accessories folder. Whenever I try it just stays where it was (or sometimes just changes order in the menu) and adds a new entry to Accessories, starting with Extra-2 and adding, in numeric order, a new folder everytime. What's going on?
Old 07-07-2007, 12:23   #20
Washington,D.C.

Quote:
The only problem with those instructions is that I don't see "Restricted Devices Manager" in my System menu. Any way to Konsole it?

As a side note, I'm having issues with customizing the K menu. I've setup a Programs entry (like Windows). Within that I have an Accessories folder and I'd like to put in an Extra folder (to hold misc programs I don't use too often). However, the Extra folder never wants to go into the Accessories folder. Whenever I try it just stays where it was (or sometimes just changes order in the menu) and adds a new entry to Accessories, starting with Extra-2 and adding, in numeric order, a new folder everytime. What's going on?
The main part of the instructions is for Ubuntu not Kubuntu. This may be why you don't see "Restricted Devices". Ubuntu is Gnome based not KDE based. When changing desktops you often lose some feature but also gain other features. The Nvidia drivers can always be installed the old fashioned way, manually.