Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:09   #1
nickg

The new system is "almost" in running order except...

well, i got everything connected with ONE minor problem. at least i hope it is just a minor one.

i have to get a molex to 4 pin 12V adapter to get power to the CPU!!! the psu i got only has a 6 pin. why?, i don't know. but i ordered one and it should be here in a few days. what a PITA!!!

but everything else is connected. i know i'm at least getting power to the system itself because all of the fans and heatsink fan are running and the power buttons on the front are working, and the new SATA cd/dvd drive is getting juice with opening/closing.

but until then i won't know if the cpu and the mobo bios settings and everything else are actually in working order.

god, i'm just crossing my fingers now at this point.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:25   #2
tous
GET A ROPE!

Uh, the 6-pin connector (square) is for PCI card power.

Look again. You should have a 4-pin motherboard 12-volt connector. It may be attached to the 24-pin connector. It will be white and have a connector-lock on one side.

2.9979E10 cm/sec -- it's not just a good idea; it's the law
tous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:42   #3
nickg

Quote:
Originally posted by tous
Uh, the 6-pin connector (square) is for PCI card power.

Look again. You should have a 4-pin motherboard 12-volt connector. It may be attached to the 24-pin connector. It will be white and have a connector-lock on one side.
there are two 12V connectors on my power supply clearly marked ATX12V1 and ATX12V2. BOTH are 6 pin. there is NO 4 pin to plug into the ATX plug.

there is the 20/24 pin ATX connector but the manual specifically states that you need power to the 4 pin ATX plug or the cpu will not power up.
Old 07-02-2007, 13:28   #4
tous
GET A ROPE!

Quote:
Originally posted by nickg
there are two 12V connectors on my power supply clearly marked ATX12V1 and ATX12V2. BOTH are 6 pin. there is NO 4 pin to plug into the ATX plug.

there is the 20/24 pin ATX connector but the manual specifically states that you need power to the 4 pin ATX plug or the cpu will not power up.
I've not seen a power supply that didn't feature the 4-pin ATX 12v connector. When the MB has the 24-pin connector, the 4-pin side usually slides off in case the 12v connector is seperate. New one on me. What PSU are you using? Let us know how that works out.

Old 07-02-2007, 14:00   #5
nickg

tous -- just call me MR. DUMB ASS!!!!!!

i think the 8 pin connector SPLITS into (2) 4 pin conncectors to attach to the cpu power plug.

if it works then i will call MYSELF MR. DUMB ASS and do a major butt kicking on me.

Old 07-02-2007, 14:15   #6
tous
GET A ROPE!

Nope. Just someone that hasn't seen that particular configuration before.

Been there, done that, got the sparks and blackened parts to prove it.

Again, the ATX power connectors are usually always white and the 12v 4-pin has a lock (a pivoting part that snaps over a lug on the MB connector.)

Good luck, mi amigo.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:36   #7
nickg

well, the split 8 pin/4 pin worked. got power and everything set up...FINALLLY.

still trying to tweak though to get it to run optimized. at this point i'm not seeing any difference with programs/apps opening any quicker. in fact, sometimes it seems like it is actually slower opening them. uhh, i thought the faster processor and more ram would eliminate that!!!! so i'm trying to think of what the problem may be.

and as far as the ram goes, in my BIOS it's showing 4 GB of ram but when i check the properties in Windows (XP), it's only showing 3 GB.

if anyone has any suggestions about speeding up processes and the ram situation it would be greatly appreciated before i put it out on the curb for trash pickup tonight.

thanks.
Old 07-05-2007, 18:12   #8
chbix

Ok i may be full of it but i recall an issue with ram not displaying correctly in xp if over 3gb..... but dont quote me on that.

There are some funky psu out there that make figuring out where things go ! i too have done similar so dont kick your self too hard.

I had an issue with the last mobo i put in. I was using the same psu and it has the 20/24 connector and a seperate 4 pin for the 12v. my old mobo used the 20 and the seperate 4 pin, so i took the extra 4 pin and wound it up and zip tied it to the side of the case.

well insert new mobo that wanted the 24 pin AND the seperate 4pin and heres me staring at this thing trying to figure out what the hell was going on. In fact i almost bought a new power supply, but luckily i had to take the other side of the case off to get to a dropped screw and saw what i had done. Good luck!

Just curious what was your old system vs new. What kinda gains where you looking for?
chbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:16   #9
Rec4LMS

Quote:
Originally posted by nickg
well, the split 8 pin/4 pin worked. got power and everything set up...FINALLLY.

still trying to tweak though to get it to run optimized. at this point i'm not seeing any difference with programs/apps opening any quicker. in fact, sometimes it seems like it is actually slower opening them. uhh, i thought the faster processor and more ram would eliminate that!!!! so i'm trying to think of what the problem may be.

and as far as the ram goes, in my BIOS it's showing 4 GB of ram but when i check the properties in Windows (XP), it's only showing 3 GB.

if anyone has any suggestions about speeding up processes and the ram situation it would be greatly appreciated before i put it out on the curb for trash pickup tonight.

thanks.
If you are using the 32bit XP, then I believe that it only recognizes up to 3GB of memory. This includes additional memory such as what is included in the video card. Having memory that the system does not recognize can slow down the computer.

"The number of casualties at the site of an attempted mass shooting is usually determined by whether the gun used to stop the killer is already at the site, or whether it must be carried there in the holster of a police officer."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Rec4LMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:11   #10
nickg

Quote:
Originally posted by Rec4LMS
If you are using the 32bit XP, then I believe that it only recognizes up to 3GB of memory. This includes additional memory such as what is included in the video card. Having memory that the system does not recognize can slow down the computer.
after doing some research i did find that XP (in all of microsoft's infinite wisdom) will only read 3 GB of ram....that is unless you have a 64-bit version. then it will read 4GB+.

and another problem is making sure that if you do run 64 bit XP that your applications will be supported by it. good luck with that too.

and at this point, i don't DARE go to Vista, otherwise known as "glorified Windows ME".

nice going bill gates.

Last edited by nickg; 07-06-2007 at 10:13..
nickg is offline   Reply With Quote