SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-03-2007, 15:34   #1
Bones3
Retired Member

Forty Five Years Ago Today

Forty five years ago today, after 4 years as a BT on WWII Tin Cans (USS Braine DD630 & USS Arnold J. Isbell DD869) I was separated from active duty. Two trips to WestPac, stood plane guard for more carriers & chased more damn subs than than I can remember, & took one can through FRAM in Bremerton, Washington.

After separation I came home to Houston & went to college, got a job, quit a job, played folk guitar for a spell, got married, got divorced, raced sailboats, got a job in the commercial printing industry, got married again & retired last March.

Where the hell did the last forty five years go?

Enjoyed my years on the cans, but now life is good & I'll let you youngsters take over now.

Thanks for reading.

I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. - El Gato
Bones3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 17:37   #2
GotGlock1917
Lifetime Membership

45 years ago I was only 3 years old but I know how you feel.
It is hard to believe I have been out for 23 years.

US Navy Forum
Outpost Member #96
GotGlock1917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:48   #3
quaviet

Send a message via AIM to quaviet Send a message via Yahoo to quaviet
45 Years ago today I was a sixth grader. 35 years ago today I was a Fire Control Technician on Somers DDG-34 in the Tonkin Gulf. I pulled out my tattered and illegal Chinese printed Janes Book 70-71 and found Braine and Isbell. The Braine a Fletcher class and the Isbell a Gearing class. We were a converted Forest Sherman class. Thanks for the thread that spurred my memory. We know what the fourth means.

Our lunch today is barbecued baby spare ribs, sourkraut, baked beans, candied yams, mashed potatoes with home made chicken gravy, corn on the cob, potato salad and blackberry pie with store bought ice cream. Home made ice cream gives me a headache and the cow and chickens are long gone. After we let the food digest then it is time for hoseshoes.

Last edited by quaviet; 07-04-2007 at 05:57..
quaviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:36   #4
dox1842

Send a message via AIM to dox1842
45 years ago today, my dad probally was in like kindergarten. But anyway I apreciate your service and giving me the opportunity to be able to serve today
dox1842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 17:38   #5
GotGlock1917
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally posted by quaviet
I pulled out my tattered and illegal Chinese printed Janes Book 70-71 and found Braine and Isbell. The Braine a Fletcher class and the Isbell a Gearing class. We were a converted Forest Sherman class.
I don't need no stinkin' Jane's.

US Navy Forum
Outpost Member #96
Old 07-06-2007, 03:41   #6
quaviet

I don't need no stinking Janes either but it was more fun digging it out and see the other sister ships and a bio. Not to mention the data I had written down during the years past. You must have been a deck ape.
Old 07-09-2007, 23:46   #7
GotGlock1917
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally posted by quaviet
I don't need no stinking Janes either but it was more fun digging it out and see the other sister ships and a bio. Not to mention the data I had written down during the years past. You must have been a deck ape.
Ha ha.

I usually go to google images to see what somebody's ship was/is when they post about it so I thought I'd post a pic.

Actually, I was a navigation electronics/central navigation computer technician on the USS Stonewall Jackson (SSBN 634)

US Navy Forum
Outpost Member #96
Old 07-10-2007, 05:34   #8
quaviet

No offence intended, we are all cut from the same mold. I am new to the forum and was thinking about buying a home protection weapon when I joined. Then I found out that a Glock does not have a hammer. I want the new gun that I buy to have a hammer. In want them to hear the first click so they can retreat.
Old 08-07-2007, 14:13   #9
GotFour

40 years ago today........ Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club, aboard
USS Hornet, squadron HS2. "HS2 Animals"
GotFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 15:30   #10
aerod1
NRA Life Member

Re: Forty Five Years Ago Today

Quote:
Originally posted by Bones3
Forty five years ago today, after 4 years as a BT on WWII Tin Cans (USS Braine DD630 & USS Arnold J. Isbell DD869) I was separated from active duty. Two trips to WestPac, stood plane guard for more carriers & chased more damn subs than than I can remember, & took one can through FRAM in Bremerton, Washington.

After separation I came home to Houston & went to college, got a job, quit a job, played folk guitar for a spell, got married, got divorced, raced sailboats, got a job in the commercial printing industry, got married again & retired last March.

Where the hell did the last forty five years go?

Enjoyed my years on the cans, but now life is good & I'll let you youngsters take over now.

Thanks for reading.

I made two WesPac cruises. One in 1962 and the other in 1963/64, both aboard the USS Midway. I was honorably separated in 1965.
I spent my entire hitch, with the exception of basic training, aboard the Midway.
Recreational Reloader
Veteran, U.S. Navy (U.S.S. Midway)
aerod1 is offline   Reply With Quote