Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:07   #1
firedog978

Did You Change the Way You Carry?

I'm curious, since the law (in plain sight) changed for vehicle carry, have many changed their holster or routine way they used to carry.
In winter it wasn't hard to carry concealed and flip an unzipped jacket off an OWB or even an IWB to gain 'plain sight' when in a vehicle. Summer was a bit more difficult to make a carry gun fit the law when in one. It basically made mouse gun pocket holsters impossible. I also know many wore such things as shoulder rigs or holsters hung around their neck. Some had thigh rigs when in a vehicle.
Now with the law changed, did you change your rig? It just seems that no more 'in plain sight' opens up so many more possible common ways to carry. No more rearranging everything when getting in and out of the vehicle.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:29   #2
DistantTea
Monkey Vendor

Yeah I changed the way I carried...I actually CARRY now! I used to put my pocket holster in the glove compartment... no choice since I wasn't about to duct tape a clipless holster onto my forhead to stay in compliance.

Now I can actually put a jframe in my pocket, leave it there where it belongs and go about my day without attempting to ninja my firearm from my pocket to the glovecompartment seven times a day without scaring some poor lady in a parking lot.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:37   #3
gtmtnbiker98

I also carry more! I use a DeSantis IWB for my Glock 26/27 and a Nemesis for my J-frame S&W. I am actually going to use the pocket holster all the time and put it in the pocket and forget it. I'm so glad that the "plain sight" provision was removed. Now one can only hope that the Castle Doctrine passes and we're in there!
gtmtnbiker98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 15:32   #4
northcoast

Bought a 26! No longer carry my Sig 226.

Now that I am actually allowed to conceal in the car, I got a gun that is easier to conceal!

Northcoast.
northcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 18:53   #5
Beeman
NRA MEMBER

Send a message via AIM to Beeman
I used to carry IWB while out of my truck, and then put my G35 into an OWB holster while in my truck. I wasn't willing to do the 'Buckeye Tuck' (tuck your cover garment behind the grip on an IWB gun) because some of the officers around Dayton and surrounding communities told me this was illegal.
Beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:16   #6
JSK333

Send a message via AIM to JSK333
Haven't changed.

In fact, I still often leave my shirt tucked around the G20, because it's much easier to get to that way. In a car jacking situation, you don't want to be worrying about getting your clothes out of the way while someone is either drawing on you or trying to pull you out of the car...

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other." -John Adams
JSK333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:33   #7
Brian Dover

Haven't changed my habits much, although it's nice that kids on school buses or hoodlums on sidewalks won't necessarily be able to see that pistol on my hip and:

1) Suddenly grab a cell phone and start dialing frantically while looking at me with bugged-out peepers.
2) Yell 'Hey man it's da po-po!' while pointing at my truck, with me wondering what they were gonna do next.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:42   #8
gtmtnbiker98

What's the consensus on pocket holsters, namely the DeSantis Nemesis? I like the idea of pocket holster carry and never have to worry about being made by printing or a shirt rising up too high. My infant is good about kicking and arranging my shirt in a manner that my IWB G27 often times shows in mall parking lots while strapping said child. Just curious as to how many pocket carry.

I absolutely love those S&W Airweight J-frame revolvers.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:45   #9
northcoast

I have a nemesis for my 26, and I think I'll use it mostly in a winter jacket, just bc of the size of the 26. But the holster itself is nice and simple. I've practiced drawing a bit and the high-friction exterior keeps the holster in while the gun comes out.

My eyes are also open for a FIST pocket holster, though. They have a little thumb rest where you pull the gun, push the holster. I think that is a nice little feature.

Northcoast.
northcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 14:13   #10
A_Fletcher
Yardwork Ninja

Quote:
Originally posted by gtmtnbiker98
What's the consensus on pocket holsters, namely the DeSantis Nemesis? I like the idea of pocket holster carry and never have to worry about being made by printing or a shirt rising up too high. My infant is good about kicking and arranging my shirt in a manner that my IWB G27 often times shows in mall parking lots while strapping said child. Just curious as to how many pocket carry.

I absolutely love those S&W Airweight J-frame revolvers.
I used to use just a simple Uncle Mike's pocket holster with a 642. My main problem was keeping the gun from sliding around enough to end up parallel to the floor when I went about my daily activities.
A_Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 20:31   #11
gtmtnbiker98

So far, I've had the Nemesis for four days and sometimes forget that I'm carrying. The outside material is like glue in my pockets, it doesn't budge. So far, it will be my summer carry rig.
Old 07-19-2007, 16:39   #12
BallisticTip

Yes now use a shoulder holster about 40% of the time now, especially when on the bike under a vest.
BallisticTip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:27   #13
cloudbuster

I have a Fist pocket holster for my 26 and a Nemesis for my Kel-Tec. Now that the law has changed, I use pocket carry more often, but usually for the Kel-Tec. I have few pants loose enough and with pockets big enough to conceal the 26 effectively and comfortably. It will conceal in a cargo pocket or a baggy BDU front pocket. The Kel-Tec conceals in the pocket of everything except tight jeans, which I seldom wear (I have a Fist tuckable IWB holster for the Kel-Tec that conceals in tight jeans for those occasions!).

The Nemesis is excellent for the Kel-Tec. No complaints. Holds the gun in a reliable position and draw is easy.

The thumb piece on the Fist pocket holster is nice -- the Fist holster fits the G26 very snug, which is good, because nothing can get around the trigger guard. The thumb piece makes it easy to draw from. My main complaint with the Fist is that it is slippery and doesn't have quite a steady-enough base. in a wide cargo pocket, the G26 ends up in who-knows-what position: on its side, upside down, etc. In a front pocket it holds steady, because the pocket is narrower.

I still find my most comfortable carry method with the G26 is my Bianchi Carrylok OWB. I can conceal very well with it under a pretty light untucked shirt or windbreaker.
cloudbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 20:13   #14
TurboRocket

Yes, I now carry a BUG 95% of the time, where I didn't before: too much of a hassle to have had two guns in plain sight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GT S&C - We know squat.
TurboRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 13:00   #15
G37 Commando

No, I carry the same way. I still carry OWB with an untucked shirt over a t-shirt.
G37 Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 13:37   #16
glockman513
CCW Instructor

Now I'll carry the P3AT in my pocket for small trips outside the home.
glockman513 is offline   Reply With Quote