Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:57   #1
J_Rico

Ruger American or Savage MKIIFVSR

Spending more and more time at the rimfire range lately.

Bought a suppressor and tried it out on a 22/45 and a S&W M&P 15-22. Fun, but want a bolt gun.

Looking at the Ruger American Rimfire or the Savage MKIIFVSR. Researching online, comments on both mostly positive. Many do not care for the Savage stock. Though that is replaceable.

Anyone tried both? Opinions? Which seems more accurate?

This will be mainly for plinking at the range off a bench. Maybe some minor pest control.

Thanks.

ETA: It is actually the RAR Compact I am considering. The #8305.

Theodore Roosevelt

Last edited by J_Rico; 03-24-2015 at 13:09..
J_Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 16:00   #2
CMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Rico View Post
Spending more and more time at the rimfire range lately.

Bought a suppressor and tried it out on a 22/45 and a S&W M&P 15-22. Fun, but want a bolt gun.

Looking at the Ruger American Rimfire or the Savage MKIIFVSR. Researching online, comments on both mostly positive. Many do not care for the Savage stock. Though that is replaceable.

Anyone tried both? Opinions? Which seems more accurate?

This will be mainly for plinking at the range off a bench. Maybe some minor pest control.

Thanks.

ETA: It is actually the RAR Compact I am considering. The #8305.
I was really excited when Ruger introduce their new bolt-action American Rimfires, so much so I brought home a pair of the compact models when they first hit the shelves locally in September 2013... These come with a Savage-style trigger (better design though IMO) that is adjustable and easily tuned to less than 2lbs. They also use the Ruger rotary magazines and have open sights with a fiber-optic front on the sporter-weight barrels. The tang safeties are a favorite feature for me.

The synthetic stocks have a solid feel and use v-shaped bedding blocks for the action. They also have interchangeable comb/butt modules that allow two different lengths of pull and two different comb heights (each rifle comes with two modules, 18” barrels have short LOP, 22” barrels have the longer LOP), but any style can be ordered direct from Ruger. I ordered the longer stock module for both (I’m 6’1”) and mounted scopes on each using Weaver #12 bases instead of the receiver grooves (they are factory tapped for the bases).

I’ve been very pleased with the .22s, both LR and Magnum, and IMO they are better guns than the Savage Mk II or the Marlin XT-22 (I owned both), and I'd say that even if they didn't take the 10/22 mags. In fact, after getting them to the range, my RAR compacts replaced the Savage Mark II FV-SR (slightly longer barrel but better stock, better mags and open sights included), and my compact American Rimfire .22 WMR replaced the Marlin XT-22M (shorter barrel, better stock, and better mags).

So… last year Ruger started offering the American Rimfire in .17 HMR, and… I now have three compact models (love the 18” barrels for field guns). I set this one up the same way (Weaver *12 bases) and mounted a 3x-9x 40mm “shotgun” scope (shorter parallax setting). I’m pleased to say it shoots even better than the .22s, thought that’s not surprising as the .17 is about the most accurate rimfire cartridge ever.

I honestly think these are the best values to come along in rimfire bolt guns in a long time (I paid $265 each for the .22s and $255 for the .17)… and they are 100% American made.

My old Savage
Rimfire Forum

My RARs
Rimfire Forum
Old 03-25-2015, 09:06   #3
J_Rico

Thanks. Feedback from someone who has owned both is excellent.

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 03-26-2015, 17:20   #4
glock30sdude

I looked at both (as well as other brands) when shopping, and went with a Ruger Compact. The deciding factor was the safety. I love the location and ease of operation of the Ruger safety. I did not like that on any of the other rifles I looked at.

And, it is a really nice rifle.
glock30sdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 20:31   #5
bac1023

Its hard to beat a Ruger rimfire for the price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:54   #6
LTR

I have the Ruger's in TB Compact in both 22LR and Mag. Accurate with Spectre. Don't forget the Ruger has a great magazine.
LTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:05   #7
J_Rico

Ok, in for the RAR. Now watching for a good sale.

Appreciate the replies.

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 04-02-2015, 07:38   #8
J_Rico

Was circling an RAR at Buds. Trying to tell myself to wait for a sale.

Then I saw this at Summit.

http://summitgunbroker.com/mos--151m--a-.html

I am sucker for the older .22s. RAR going on a holding pattern for a month or so. Unless I find a sale...

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 04-05-2015, 21:52   #9
Fanner50
NRA Endowment

I've owned both. I sold the FVSR and bought the Ruger. The Ruger can use all 10-22 rotary style magazines, even the 25 and 30 round ones. The Savage uses a six or seven round clip type magazine that is not near as nice. The Savage seemed heavier, although in reality there is very little difference in weight. The Savage stock just does not feel as good in the hand as the Ruger stock does. The Ruger's trigger seems better, although both are adjustable. The Ruger just feels trimmer and lighter, and the bolt works smoother on the Ruger. I have a buddy who still has the Savage FVSR, and I much prefer my Ruger over his Savage. I Really like the Ruger magazines compared to the Savage clips/magazines. The new issue of the American Rifleman magazine named the Ruger American Rimfire rifle "Rifle of the Year." I highly recommend the Ruger over the Savage. Another plus is that the Ruger stock can be adjusted for length of pull just by changing out the stock insert. Go ruger.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:26   #10
J_Rico

Got the Mossberg 151m. I know that is pretty far from the original intent of this thread, but figured a RAR can be found any time and these 70yr old .22s are not going to be around forever.

Will try to get pics, but I am not good at that.

It did come with factory scope and peep sight. Scope is toast. Looks cool, but no longer sealed. Crud on inside of lenses.

Front sight is a s101, but it is whompered up. The blades are way off. May try to take apart and see if I can correct it.

Found some workarounds at Havlins. Going to get some sort of sight solution. Rear sight fine and they have substitute front sights and modern scope mounts for the 151 at Havlins.

Most important was the function test. Fed it three different 22lr loads and it fed 50 round of each without a hiccup. That made me happy. IMO fixing/replacing sights a lit easier than dealing with function issues.

Again, thanks to those that replied. A threaded Ruger American Rimfire is still on my list and father's day is coming up...

Theodore Roosevelt