SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-19-2012, 21:16   #1
hoghunter82
FL Glocker #182

Buck Mark or Ruger MK3

I know this question gets asked more than any other. I've had the Neos and did not like it. The 22A is too much like the Neos for me. I just simply cannot decide between the Buck Mark or Ruger. No advantage to either on shooting, both do nicely on the range. Biggest thing now is I can actually find a Ruger where as the Buck Mark locally is like a unicorn. When all is said and done, I am a reliability guy. Nothing drives me more insane than a gun that has issues. I will be shooting the blue box Federal Champion 525 stuff exclusively since I got thousands of rounds of this stuff, so if anyone had issues with either on of these firearms with that ammo please let me know. I am not going out and buying fancy CCI ammo to fit the gun. The gun needs to eat Federal Champion 525 like candy. Anyone got any experience? Thanks

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
hoghunter82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 22:11   #2
bac1023

I have both and slightly prefer the Ruger.

Both are great rimfires though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 22:21   #3
JaPes
Rimfire 1010101

I have a Ruger MKIII Standard & a 22/45 RP. Both have been flawless with Federal bulk brick ammo.

The only drawback is that the first time disassembling & reassembling a Ruger MK series can be as frustrating as trying to solve a Rubic's cube.
Glock 22 Gen4 | Glock 17 Gen4 | Glock 19 Gen4 |
Glock 29SF

Last edited by JaPes; 02-19-2012 at 22:22..
JaPes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 23:10   #4
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Have a Buckmark. A hoot to shoot. An ICE agent tried it and immediately bought one for his wife. The trigger really impressed him, I don't have enough experience to know the difference.

I've been told the Ruger and Browning are quite equal except that disassembly is more involved on the Ruger. 2 bolts to take down the Browning.

Maybe someone at the local range will give you some hands on to decide. I see a lot of each used in competition.

Last edited by Paul53; 02-19-2012 at 23:12..
Paul53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:05   #5
XDfense

We've got both in my family. My brother and I have BM's. My Mom and Dad have both. In fact, I picked this one up on Valentine's Day and love it. Frankly, I like them both equally and will pick up a Mark of some variety when the deal presents itself.

Rimfire Forum

Last edited by XDfense; 02-20-2012 at 09:06..
XDfense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 13:34   #6
orgnova

I have the 2 Buckmarks and feed them the cheapest 22lr I could find and never, never had a problem until it gets dirty after 200 -250 rounds. My opinion.
orgnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 14:24   #7
ColdSteelNail

I have a Buckmark Camper. It's very accurate and eats anything. My brother in law has a Mark III. I think my Browning is slightly more accurate and consistent. The Browning is easier to take down and clean.
Old 02-20-2012, 14:37   #8
Shadyscott69
GT Sponsor

They are equal except in two areas. The Ruger sucks to take apart. The Ruger has a much bigger aftermarket.

I shoot a MKIII in Steel Challenge and love it.

Rimfire Forum

Last edited by Shadyscott69; 02-20-2012 at 14:38..
Shadyscott69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 16:15   #9
Bob Hafler

Never owned a Buckmark, but The MKIII 22/45 is a very nice accurate 22lr pistol. The horrors of the disassembly and reassembly of the Ruger IMO is way over exaggerated. If a person reads and understands and follows the directions as there written in the manual. It's not as difficult some make it out to be. Plus there are more than enough videos on the net that can walk you through it.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 17:00   #10
Shadyscott69
GT Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hafler View Post
Never owned a Buckmark, but The MKIII 22/45 is a very nice accurate 22lr pistol. The horrors of the disassembly and reassembly of the Ruger IMO is way over exaggerated. If a person reads and understands and follows the directions as there written in the manual. It's not as difficult some make it out to be. Plus there are more than enough videos on the net that can walk you through it.
I have had mine apart 20-30 time and it still gives me a fit on occasion.
Last Friday night, I was cleaning the gun before Saturdays match.I some how managed to get the main spring back in with the hammer in the wrong position. Couldn't get it together, couldn't get it apart. After much cursing, I smacked the gun muzzle first on a folded towel causing the hammer to fall forward. Came right apart.
Shadyscott69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 17:33   #11
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I have owned a Ruger for nearly 20 years. That being a .22/45. I got a new MKIII a little over a year ago that did suffer from reliability issues. They were issues that were easily solved. They should in no way hinder a person from purchasing a MKIII.

My MK has turned into a hell of a shooter, but it's also heavily upgraded.

The only major components that are still Ruger are the upper, lower, and bolt.
With the bolt having been rebuilt with the Volquartsen bolt kit.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 18:42   #12
tall terry

Jmho. High standard got to buy used and cost starts at $500 then browning rhen ruger . The high standard is a work of art and can out shoot any other. Then being more practical the brownings and lastly the ruger. Accuracy and reliabllity are about even somewhere around 1000 rounds they need cleaned. Brownng trigger is much better
tall terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 17:25   #13
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Unfortunately people don't know which High Standards to buy.
One gun I will never get rid of is my Hamden 107 Supermatic Citation.

Last edited by Jason D; 02-22-2012 at 17:13..
Old 02-21-2012, 19:20   #14
Clem Eastwood

have had multiple buckmarks, now i have multiple ruger mkIIs. i prefer the rugers.

Where men are men, women are men, and teenagers and children are FBI agents.
Clem Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 23:22   #15
G19freak

Also had a few Buckmarks over the years---they're all gone and will only buy Rugers in the future. Even looking at another MkIII right now.

My current MkIII worked fine out of the box---but its even better after removing the mag safety and loaded chamber indicator.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:39   #16
kansasboy91
Your Opinion

MK III many it's weird the first time apart but easy once you've done it. Ruger has been domanating for a long time due to its perfected factory trigger, grip angle, bolt, and weight.
Ruger SR22P
kansasboy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 13:03   #17
tall terry

In high standards the citation trophy and victor ar the 3 I prefer or the 10X if you have a lot to spend.
Old 02-22-2012, 17:18   #18
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasboy91 View Post
Ruger has been domanating for a long time due to its perfected factory trigger, grip angle, bolt, and weight.
Say what?

They dominate because they are cheap compared to the better guns. You can get 2 and a half MK pistols for the price of a S&W model 41. Three for some High Standard models.

You can make a MK pistol into a great gun by ripping its guts out an rebuilding it with quality parts. They are an ok to good gun without modification.

I have a tricked out MKIII that is now a great gun.
I also have a Hamden High Standard and a S&W model 41. I am not saying that to brag, but even a tricked out MKIII can't compare to either of those.

Old 02-22-2012, 17:47   #19
tall terry

Well said jason d the S&W 41 is a wonderful gun as well. Out of the 2 choices by the OP I would take the browning hands down no question just my opinion but I would search for a military grip frame high standard before I would pay retail for the latest greatest ruger MK I
Old 02-22-2012, 19:59   #20
MoCop

I had both and would go with the ruger

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine