Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-13-2007, 00:01   #1
jack19512

Sata ?

I would like to have some input from those that are familiar with SATA drives. If you could explain in simple terms why someone would use SATA instead of PATA drives would be much appreciated. I have tried to research this subject but would like to hear from someone that has used both. Thanks
jack19512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:14   #2
teamgreen02

SATA is typically faster than PATA (also known as IDE). Most new computers will come with SATA drives (CD/DVD and hard drives). The smaller SATA cable also allows for better airflow.

PATA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT_Attachment

SATA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

Be aware that new SATA drives will require a 15 pin SATA power connector instead of the typical 4 pin molex connector.

Bottom line: Get SATA if your pc is set up for it.
teamgreen02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:08   #3
Washington,D.C.

The SATA drives are cheaper to make and better for multiple drives. They really are "faster". The interface is faster but the limiting factor is the ATA drives themselves which at current PATA interchanes is already max'd out, so aa faster interface such SATA won't tranfer data any faster.
Washington,D.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 13:53   #4
srhoades

Smaller power cable, smaller data cable, easier to plug and unplug both, and the most important they are faster, espcially if you get a SATA II drive with a 16MB cache.
Old 07-15-2007, 18:49   #5
jack19512

Thanks for the replies. I researched this and as usual ended up more confused than anything. Some reported SATA being faster while some reported they couldn't tell much difference if any in the speed. Some made mention about the SATA cables where they plug in being kind of delicate.

The motherboard recently went out in my grandsons computer so I purchased a motherboard, ram, and processor and the new board is set up for SATA 3Gb/s.

Since he is into light to medium gaming I didn't know if I should consider SATA or just keep the new IDE drive that is in the computer now. Your opinions are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by jack19512; 07-15-2007 at 18:53..
Old 07-15-2007, 20:16   #6
Glock Bob
Snack Attack!!!

The biggest reason to use one or the other is what your motherboard supports. My Dell XPS 410 only supports SATA drives. There are no EIDE connections to be found.

SATA (Serial AT Attachment) is the newest thing. PATA (Parallel AT Attachment, aka IDE and EIDE) is older and has been around for many years. PATA mobos usually have two EIDE slots that can only support two drives each, for a total of four drives (be them harddrives, cd-roms, dvd-roms, etc). SATA drives are connected directly to the mobo, each with their own cable (as opposed to PATA which uses one cable for each mobo connection and has two device connections, one for slave and the other for master). With SATA each connection is numbered on the mobo so it's much easier to hook everything up. Master goes in slot 1 and everything else goes in whichever slot you want them to go in. I also believe there are no jumpers on SATA drives which takes out alot of the headaches of working with them as opposed to PATA.
Old 07-15-2007, 22:12   #7
jack19512

I didn't realize it at the time but the motherboard I ordered only has one EIDE slot which as far as I know limits me to one harddrive and one CD rom drive. As far as jumpers go the SATA drives have a jumper that limits it's speed or something like that. According to my research a lot of people forgot to take these jumpers off and it limited the drives speed. I think.
Old 07-15-2007, 23:14   #8
srhoades

Quote:
Originally posted by jack19512
I didn't realize it at the time but the motherboard I ordered only has one EIDE slot which as far as I know limits me to one harddrive and one CD rom drive. As far as jumpers go the SATA drives have a jumper that limits it's speed or something like that. According to my research a lot of people forgot to take these jumpers off and it limited the drives speed. I think.
I know I did it. The jumper is incredibly small, like smaller than a grain of rice. But I did notice the difference once removed.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:57   #9
Glock Bob
Snack Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by jack19512
Just ONE EIDE slot? Sure it's not for a floppy drive and the rest are SATA? I've never heard of just one EIDE. However, if it is just one EIDE then you are limited to two drives (HDD, CD, DVD, etc), but you can buy a card that will fit in a PCI slot to give you more slots.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:39   #10
Washington,D.C.

Quote:
Originally posted by Glock Bob
Just ONE EIDE slot? Sure it's not for a floppy drive and the rest are SATA? I've never heard of just one EIDE. However, if it is just one EIDE then you are limited to two drives (HDD, CD, DVD, etc), but you can buy a card that will fit in a PCI slot to give you more slots.
Some of the new motherboards have only one EIDE slot. Usually for connecting old hard drives or more commonly the CD/DVD drives.
Washington,D.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 23:38   #11
Deanster
CLM Number 250
Cheese?

Like most things, a majority of people will never notice the difference. SATA is the current standard, and at this point in time, I wouldn't buy anything non-SATA without a very good reason.

The biggest place SATA makes a difference is when you have multiple drives - each drive has its own individual connection, where earlier standards often had two drives sharing a connection, which put a big crimp in real-world speeds when both were working at once. Individually, it's faster, but multiples is where it's a 'life-changer'.

Really, the driving element, as noted above, is what you've got connectors for.

A new mobo most likely has 4 SATA connectors, and you'd want in most cases to build it with one or two SATA drives, and have the other two available for adding on. Even if the board has an EIDE connector, I would avoid building with it, as that leaves you in a tough spot for adding things later - if you build with one or two SATA drives, you've got two SATA connectors AND one EIDE connector available for master/slave, so you can add a pair of drives to either type of connector.

Using EIDE initially, you've got four SATA and a slave EIDE spot open - not so much with the flexibility in that config.
Deanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:38   #12
srhoades

They make SATA DVD drives now so this whole discussion about EIDE should not even be happening. EIDE is antiquated, there is no reason to continue using it.
Old 07-18-2007, 19:44   #13
jack19512

Quote:
Originally posted by srhoades
They make SATA DVD drives now so this whole discussion about EIDE should not even be happening.

You have to keep in mind others computer knowledge. I had already ordered a new EIDE drive for this computer. I know now, just didn't before and there are a lot of people that don't know as much as I do about computers.