Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:11   #1
pesticidal
CLM Number 181
Eh?

Send a message via Yahoo to pesticidal

Outlook file backup?

Is there a decent program to backup Outlook folders in a format readable by a word processing program? I'm looking to clear out several years of old e-mails, but I'd like to archive them so I can call on them later.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:44   #2
FastZ

As long as you always have Outlook installed on the computer the backups are on, you'll be able to open the emails with Outlook and read them. No need to try to open them with Word or whatever, just use Outlook to view the backed up emails. That's my recommendation.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:54   #3
pesticidal
CLM Number 181
Eh?

Send a message via Yahoo to pesticidal

Quote:
Originally posted by FastZ
As long as you always have Outlook installed on the computer the backups are on, you'll be able to open the emails with Outlook and read them. No need to try to open them with Word or whatever, just use Outlook to view the backed up emails. That's my recommendation.
I understand that. I'm just trying to archive some of the old stuff that I may/may not ever need, but would like them available in a non-email format.

Something like this?

http://www.techhit.com/messagesave/
Old 07-16-2007, 16:17   #4
doktarZues
I'm anti-anti

The easiest way to do it would be to save all of the files to a Personal Folders file, the catch being you need Outlook to open them up and read them.

You can easily save /individual/ messages in many different formats, .msg, .rtf, .txt, etc, to any location you want, to your hard drive, external drive, etc. the catch being you can only safe individual files. Open Message and File > Save As

I realize this doesn't answer your question, but Outlook was designed to use PST files to backup and archive, and they actually work pretty well as long as you stay in an Outlook environment, it "works as intended".

Outside of that, you will definitely be looking at some sort of 3rd party software, and I can't intelligently comment on any good or bad ones. What I can say is very few large corporations deploy 3rd party (Outlook) apps due to the bugs and lack of real support.

Good luck, let us know if you find anything worth mentioning. -dok
Old 07-17-2007, 17:13   #5
Deanster
CLM Number 250
Cheese?

Pretty much covers it. Outlook isn't great about exporting, and MS is remarkably unhelpful about how it archives mail.

Now, you CAN copy the mail from your personal folders in Outlook to the IMAP folders of an IMAP e-mail account (also in Outlook), and then use a different mail client (like Eudora) to download the folders, and then have the mail in a more-standard .mbx format, or whatever the file format of your chosen IMAP mail client might be.

It's a little complex, may be slow if you're looking at many 1000's of mails, and you'd need to do a bit of research to choose a client that offers a mailbox format compatible with your needs. I don't have one off the top of my head that stores mail in individual text files readable by Notepad or Word. Cyrus does it at the server level, but I'm not sure about at the client level.

Hope this helps!
Deanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 21:02   #6
Wulfenite
The King

I spent hours trying to figure out how to archive outlook data, its tought to even undrestand how it does it and its almost impossible to veryify that you got everyhing (email, contact data, calandar data, and journal entrys).