Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-17-2007, 13:16   #1
passive101

Legal signs that prohibit CCW?

Are there any legal signs that mean you can't ccw in Florida like other states have? I went to a gun store yesterday and there was a sign that said NO GUNS, NO CONCEALED HANDGUNS or it might have said NO GUNS OR NO CONCEALED WEAPONS. I'm not 100% sure.

Does that mean I would be in breach of FL law if I carried into that store, or are those signs pointless to legal ccw permit holders and refer to illegal concealed carry?

I know from reading other threads that if someone sees you have a gun and asks you or tells you to leave you must do so or he can then call the police.
passive101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 13:43   #2
rvrctyrngr
Senior Moment

Signs carry no legal weight in Florida. The statute (790) lists the (few) places where it is illegal to carry. Learn it. If you carry in a place that is legal but 'posted' and they ask you to leave, leave. Otherwise, it's armed tresspass.
rvrctyrngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 14:01   #3
passive101

paperwork was right then

thank you.
Old 07-17-2007, 14:21   #4
rvrctyrngr
Senior Moment

No problemo.

The LIST:
(12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
Old 07-17-2007, 14:37   #5
geekboy
Glock Lover

Re: Legal signs that prohibit CCW?

Quote:
Originally posted by passive101
Are there any legal signs that mean you can't ccw in Florida like other states have? I went to a gun store yesterday and there was a sign that said NO GUNS, NO CONCEALED HANDGUNS or it might have said NO GUNS OR NO CONCEALED WEAPONS. I'm not 100% sure.

Does that mean I would be in breach of FL law if I carried into that store, or are those signs pointless to legal ccw permit holders and refer to illegal concealed carry?

I know from reading other threads that if someone sees you have a gun and asks you or tells you to leave you must do so or he can then call the police.
Like rvrctyrngr wrote, signs have no weight or power of law in Florida.

Having said that, most gun shops and ranges don't like loaded weapons in their store for safety reasons. Fear of a robbery comes to mind too. But how can the put a sign that reads "NO GUNS" when people bring their guns in... for repair or trade?

Always a funny sign to have at a gun store. It would be like having a sign at the entrance of a parking lot reading "No Cars Allowed"

Glock 19
Glock 26
geekboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:54   #6
Droanx

All the ranges I patron say "Weapons to be used on the range, trade ins, or repair work must be unloaded and safe" Or something to that affect. I asked the owners of the ranges about it. They both said that if you don't intend to shoot or take out your weapon and you are properly permitted they don't care if you carry. As a matter of fact they WANT you to carry in their stores.

Two different ranges BTW
Old 07-21-2007, 05:03   #7
itsnitro
Got Sig?

Send a message via AIM to itsnitro
Re: Re: Legal signs that prohibit CCW?

Quote:
Originally posted by geekboy
Like rvrctyrngr wrote, signs have no weight or power of law in Florida.

Having said that, most gun shops and ranges don't like loaded weapons in their store for safety reasons. Fear of a robbery comes to mind too. But how can the put a sign that reads "NO GUNS" when people bring their guns in... for repair or trade?

Always a funny sign to have at a gun store. It would be like having a sign at the entrance of a parking lot reading "No Cars Allowed"
I believe the sign reads "No Loaded Concealed weapons" not "NO GUNS"
because then I agree with your statement.
Glock 26 - Sub Club #7797
Sig P226 - Sig Club #7797
Florida Glockers #7797

Last edited by itsnitro; 07-21-2007 at 05:18..
itsnitro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 12:12   #8
passive101

The guy has girls for guns. A pink .25 Taurus semi auto with pink pearl grips that my g/f wants now for a ccw gun. I'm sure I'll be back to check it out
Old 09-07-2007, 14:01   #9
AggieMax
DFW sheepdog

Guys, I am vacationing in Florida next week. I have read the above reference statute. What are the rules concerning Disney world? Also, if the place is not listed in the 790 statute, what constitutes a valid warning prohibiting concealed carry on the property?

Thanks for the help.
Lone Star Glocker, Niner's Club, Kahr Club, Black Rifle Club, Tactical Shotgun #972

Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
AggieMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 14:42   #10
geekboy
Glock Lover

Quote:
Originally posted by AggieMax
Guys, I am vacationing in Florida next week. I have read the above reference statute. What are the rules concerning Disney world? Also, if the place is not listed in the 790 statute, what constitutes a valid warning prohibiting concealed carry on the property?

Thanks for the help.
Signs have no power or weight of law. You are welcome to carry at WDW so long as you do not expose your weapon or get made by Security. If you expose it or are made, Disney will take you to the security office and ask you to check the weapon with security, place the weapon in your car, or leave the property post haste. If you refuse, they will issue you a trespass warning in front of a Deputy Sheriff. If you don't leave after the warning... you get a pair of shiny bracelets (armed trespass). If you're issued a trespass warning, you will no longer be welcome on Disney property... they can ban you for hours, days, months, years, forever.

Having said that, no one has had trouble at Disney. I carry there all the time and have not been made or exposed. People who have been made or exposed were asked to check the weapon with security or place it in their car. I've only heard of one out-of-state law enforcement officer who got trespassed. He apparently refused to leave and said he was an LEO. He apparently didn't understand property rights in Florida. Disney only allows LEOs with jurisdiction to carry in their parks. (However, I don't know how LEOSA applies to that situation today.)

Regarding a "valid" warning. In order to warn you in Florida, the person in control of the property must verbally warn you or issue you a letter. I am always hard pressed to find any sign at WDW that prohibits weapons of any kind... I've never found one myself.

So long as your permit is valid for Florida, you're ok at Disney World, until you're trespassed. If you want, you can check your weapon with security in the park you're visiting. They'll give you a locker.

Glock 19
Glock 26

Last edited by geekboy; 09-07-2007 at 14:45..
Old 09-07-2007, 14:44   #11
rvrctyrngr
Senior Moment

AggieMax,

As posted in this thread...there are NO 'legally valid' signs that can be posted in FL. Nothing like the 30.06 signs in Texas.

Signs carry NO weight of law. If a place has a 'Defense Free' sign, and you carry there, and you are discovered, all they can do is ask you to leave. If you are asked to leave, LEAVE. Otherwise, you can be charged with armed tresspass.

As for the theme parks....they are ALL 'posted'. Carry is perfectly legal in all of them.

They will do cursory searches of anything of-body (bags, waistpacks, strollers, etc...). They will not search your person (haven't yet, anyway). Carry on your body, be discreet, and have a blast!

All that being said...if an establishment is not specifically listed as 'off limits' in 790.06, it is legal to carry there.

Have a GREAT vacation, and thanks for your contribution to our tax base!
Old 09-07-2007, 20:23   #12
Gmountain

Quote:

Thanks for the help.
Remember, Disney is no different than any other shopping mall. Well, you do pay almost $75 to get in

Stay out of the bars in there though. Keep your gun on you, not in a back pack or, God forbid, a fanny pack. You won't have any problems.

I'm not sure what you mean by warning. There really is no such thing. If someone wants you to leave, they tell you. If you don't go, they call the cops. You should never get to that point. If someone asks you to leave, then just leave.

They can ask you to leave for any reason, btw, and if you don't go, then you are trespassing. It could be for the way you dress or the color of your hair. Private property is private property.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 22:05   #13
AggieMax
DFW sheepdog

Great information guys, thank you very much.

One more point of clarification about the areas that are dispensing alcohol. If I go into a restaurant such as Chili's or TGIFriday's which has a bar, does that mean that I am legal to carry in the restaurant portion, just don't cut through the bar area?

Thanks again,

Deron
Lone Star Glocker, Niner's Club, Kahr Club, Black Rifle Club, Tactical Shotgun #972

Old 09-07-2007, 22:36   #14
beer goggles
Non Glocker

Quote:

One more point of clarification about the areas that are dispensing alcohol. If I go into a restaurant such as Chili's or TGIFriday's which has a bar, does that mean that I am legal to carry in the restaurant portion, just don't cut through the bar area?

Thanks again,

Deron
Yes, as long as the you are not in the area that is mainly devoted to serving alcohol you are fine.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:13   #15
rich52us

Send a message via Yahoo to rich52us
Quote:

Thanks again,

Deron
Yes. Gutmacher says in his book you are good in the restaraunt part, but you can't even pass through the BAR area to go to the bathroom, so you better be able to hold it
#3014 in the Big Dawg , Kel-Tec , Sub, HK & Black Rifle Clubs. .
rich52us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 23:11   #16
geekboy
Glock Lover

Quote:
Originally posted by Gmountain
They can ask you to leave for any reason, btw, and if you don't go, then you are trespassing. It could be for the way you dress or the color of your hair. Private property is private property.
One young man was "asked to leave" because he was wearing a t-shirt that had two geckos mating... or at least appeared that they were mating.

As Gmountain wrote, you can be asked to leave for ANY REASON that Disney chooses! Do not wear any t-shirts that are profane or otherwise distasteful... you will surely be asked to leave or change your shirt.

Glock 19
Glock 26
Old 09-10-2007, 17:15   #17
AggieMax
DFW sheepdog

Thanks for the information - 4 days till Disney

Old 09-11-2007, 14:58   #18
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Iím also planning a vacation to Florida this Christmas and I have a few questions about concealed carry Ö

Quote:
Originally posted by rvrctyrngr
As for the theme parks....they are ALL 'posted'. Carry is perfectly legal in all of them.
When you say ALL does this include non Disney properties like ďAnheuserĒ Busch Gardens and Sea World?

Whatís the law pertaining to conceal carry at the Kennedy Space center?

Quote:
Originally posted by beer goggles
Yes, as long as you are not in the area that is mainly devoted to serving alcohol you are fine.
What about restaurants that donít have a bar area, say like pizza hut that serves only beer? Can others at my table drink alcohol?

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 15:05   #19
Gmountain

Quote:
Originally posted by Sgt. Schultz
Iím also planning a vacation to Florida this Christmas and I have a few questions about concealed carry Ö

When you say ALL does this include non Disney properties like ďAnheuserĒ Busch Gardens and Sea World?
Any theme park is legal. The ONLY place off limits are listed in the Florida statutes. Businesses are not off limits, and that's all a theme park is.

Quote:

Whatís the law pertaining to conceal carry at the Kennedy Space center?
That is a Federal installation and off limits.

Quote:
What about restaurants that donít have a bar area, say like pizza hut that serves only beer? Can others at my table drink alcohol?
Perfectly fine. You can drink as well, if you want to. Even if there is a bar, like Outback, you can drink at your table.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 16:48   #20
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
That is a Federal installation and off limits.
Okay Kennedy is Federal and off limits Ö can the pistol be locked in the trunk or is that a day to leave it locked in the room safe?

Quote:
Perfectly fine. You can drink as well, if you want to. Even if there is a bar, like Outback, you can drink at your table.
Are you serious? Thatís allowed in Florida? Personally I donít think that alcohol and firearms are a good idea.

Thanks for help!

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote