Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-19-2007, 22:52   #1
LawDog2006

Louisville Shooting Ranges

Ok, so I'm in Louisville for about 6 days now, are there any shooting ranges you guys would recommend. I'm looking for something simple, close and relatively inexpensive. Also might be interested in any matches this weekend that I could use a baby glock or full size 1911 for. Any suggestions?
Old 07-20-2007, 03:59   #2
Crazy4nitro
Happy Accidents

http://www.bluegrassrange.com/

Thats where I shoot. I believe it's like $9.50 per Half Hour.
I dont know if thats good as it's the only Indoor range I have shot at.

If you get the chance check out
http://machinegunshoot.com/index.html
read "Hours of operation" to find when you can go.
This is a really cool place to visit,especially during the Machine Gun Shoot..Well worth your drive from home even.....

Crazy4nitro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Crazy4nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:49   #3
domzilla9
Phone Flinger

Send a message via AIM to domzilla9 Send a message via Yahoo to domzilla9
I can recommend the KAPS USPSA match near Bardstown KY if you're up for a 45 min drive http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=730511

Do you have a holster and 4 mags with holders (five would be better) for the 1911?
Old 07-20-2007, 08:21   #4
wprebeck
Die, bird, die!

It ain't exactly cheap, unless you're a member, but Open Range in Oldham county (just east of Louisville) has a NICE range. Best I've been to, in fact.

http://www.openrangesports.com/

I usually go on Sunday afternoons and put about 100 rounds or so downrange.
wprebeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:30   #5
domzilla9
Phone Flinger

+1 on OpenRange. If I could afford it I would shoot there more often. I hope they do a Glock shoot again soon (and reconsider the rotating target thing again - get a timer!)
Old 07-20-2007, 08:58   #6
LawDog2006

Unfortunately I only have 3 mags and no holster with me for the 1911. I saw that open ragne web site before i left and I wasn't sure about it. Seemed more geared to paintballing and kids screwing around. No offense.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:59   #7
LawDog2006

Unfortunately I only have 3 mags and no holster with me for the 1911. I saw that open ragne web site before i left and I wasn't sure about it. Seemed more geared to paintballing and kids screwing around. No offense. Please correct me if i'm wrong
Old 07-20-2007, 09:06   #8
domzilla9
Phone Flinger

Quote:
Originally posted by LawDog2006
Unfortunately I only have 3 mags and no holster with me for the 1911. I saw that open ragne web site before i left and I wasn't sure about it. Seemed more geared to paintballing and kids screwing around. No offense. Please correct me if i'm wrong
The website would definately give you that impression. A lot of us have made the same observation. It's a pity really. I think the paintball stuff does a lot of business for them but the indoor range is really something to see. It's just like the super cool FBI indoor range in *insert name of Hollywood Action Flick here*.

Well, you always need spare mags and holster so go to The Oakwood Gunshop in Middletown or Shooters Supply and buy two mags, some fobus mag holders (two double pouches for four on your belt and the fifth in your gun at start)and a fobus holster you're good to go

If you want to spend the $$ I think that OpenRange has a good selection of BladeTech holsters and mag holders for the 1911 in stock. The Oakwood won't have a holster or mag holders for your but their wilson magazines are cheaper than Shooter's Supply.

Or go talk to Alan at Firearms Service Center on Bardstown road. He'll have some Galco and Blackhawk holsters for a 1911 and plenty of 8 or 10 rd Wilson or Chip McCormick mags.

Last edited by domzilla9; 07-20-2007 at 09:09..
domzilla9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:12   #9
domzilla9
Phone Flinger

If you're in Louisville next Saturday you can go to the Steel Challenge Shoot at Silver Creek in Indiana, just a few miles up I65 (takes 15 min to get there from down town Louisville). You'll need a holster and four to five mags for that too.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:27   #10
LawDog2006

Yeah i was upset that I wasn't going to be in town when I saw that.

I have my holsters for the baby glocks with me, but the 1911 is only 2 weeks old so I haven't gotten around to getting one for it. I've heard shooter supply is relatively inexpensive, sounds like a place I have at home that does a lot of volume.

How does Open range compare to that Blue Grass Indoor range? Mainly in regards to how many people are at the range on a friday afternoon.

Also, is any place cheaper than Walmar* for plain target ammo? It's usually the cheapest place in Ohio so I assume the same here.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:38   #11
domzilla9
Phone Flinger

You *might* be able to get a better price on ammo at Shooters Suppy if you're buying a case of CCI blazer or something like that. Winchester White box or Remington Bulk Packs at Wally World will always be less expensive. (Don't get me started on Walmart and China).

Openrange and Bluegrass range are very very different kinds of places. You probably won't see much traffic on Friday afternoons at either place until closer to Miller Time, I'm guessing. Btw, the range bay at Bluegrass is hot as blazes and NOT airconditioned. The bays at Openrange are very air conditioned.

I wouldn't call Shooter Supply inexpensive by any stretch of the imagination.

We can't talk you into coming to Bardstown?
Old 07-20-2007, 09:47   #12
LawDog2006

As far as bardstown goes, there's a couple concerns. First, that I only have the 3 8rd magazines, second, no 1911 holster and third it's an hour away and I'm here to take the Kentucky bar exam on Tuesday, so Sunday is one of those nothing but study and dinner days. I'm just trying to get some relaxation out today or maybe tomorrow afternoon, depending on crowds. Otherwise I'd love to join you for the match, especially since I haven't competed in any shooting match since boy scouts.
Old 07-20-2007, 17:56   #13
Berretta9

Know any good Lawyer jokes ???
Berretta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 21:05   #14
wprebeck
Die, bird, die!

Dude, my sister will be taking the Bar this week.

You didn't graduate from Northern, did you?

Oh, and PM me, if you need anything. My wife is due with our 4th kid (was due today, matter of fact, and she is PISSED), so I'll be off for a couple weeks when she does have the baby.

If you're still in town next weekend (Saturday), get with me. I'm a member at Open Range (was there today...shoulda gotten together), and it'll be cheaper for you to shoot with me.
wprebeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:17   #15
LawDog2006

Well I checked out Open Range on Friday. Sorry it took so long to post a reply but I've been a little busy. The range facility was very nice, those programs are a lot of fun and it was nice to mix it up with just straight target shooting.

There were only two drawbacks. First, there were a lot of kids/teens running around the lobby and paintball area. Second, there was an older couple two lanes over shooting their Kel-Tec 380, which jammed a few times with a round in the chamber that they kept trying to have fall out with the slide back. Well as they're both doing this I stop shooting and watch a bit to make sure something truly stupid didn't start to happen. Fortunately the range master walked in at tthat point and helped out.

Overall though, I'll definitely go back next time I get to Louisville. Thank you for all your responses and offers, maybe next time I'll have more time for a match or shooting partner.
Old 07-23-2007, 16:32   #16
Berretta9

Quote:
Originally posted by wprebeck
Dude, my sister will be taking the Bar this week.

You didn't graduate from Northern, did you?

Oh, and PM me, if you need anything. My wife is due with our 4th kid (was due today, matter of fact, and she is PISSED), so I'll be off for a couple weeks when she does have the baby.

If you're still in town next weekend (Saturday), get with me. I'm a member at Open Range (was there today...shoulda gotten together), and it'll be cheaper for you to shoot with me.
Best lawyer jokes I've heard were from lawyers.
Old 07-24-2007, 17:13   #17
LawDog2006

Well one of my favorites is an old one.

Why don't sharks attack lawyers?

Professional courtesy.
Old 07-25-2007, 14:28   #18
Berretta9

What do you call a bus load of lawyers at the bottom of a lake ?
A good start.
Old 07-25-2007, 20:12   #19
LawDog2006

The National Institute of Health (NIH) announced last week that they were going to start using lawyers instead of rats in their experiments. Naturally, the American Bar Association was outraged and filed suit. Yet, the NIH presented some very good reasons for the switch.

1. The lab assistants were becoming very attached to their little rats. This emotional involvement was interfering with the research being conducted. No such attachment could form for a lawyer.

2. Lawyers breed faster and are in much greater supply.

3. Lawyers are much cheaper to care for and the humanitarian societies won't jump all over you no matter what you're studying.

4. There are some things even a rat won't do.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:02   #20
Razoreye
♥♥Adorkable!♥♥

Quote:
Originally posted by Berretta9
Best lawyer jokes I've heard were from lawyers.
Like "here's your bill..."

And if I close my mind in fear... Please pry it open!

Smooth is fast, fast is smooth.
Razoreye is offline   Reply With Quote