GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-20-2007, 13:43   #1
nehpets99

ATTN: University Students! Support your rights!

To all University students:

WE NEED YOUR HELP in gaining support for our cause. What cause is that, you ask? Getting states or universities to allow concealed carry on campus. I am the Miami U. (Ohio, not Florida) representative of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (SCCC). Back in the spring, a friend of mine who is the rep for U. of Cincinnati had the great idea of holding an empty holster protest to show that state laws and/or university policies have reduced CHL holders to just that: empty holsters.

But we need your help. We have an event listed on facebook http://facebook.com/event.php?eid=2359003596 but last time I checked there were only about 70-80 confirmed individuals. Wear an empty holster (OWB, shoulder, something visible that looks like a holster!) during the week of Oct. 22 (that's 10/22) and wear it ALL WEEK! The point is that we want to generate debate! We want our classmates to ask us why we're wearing holsters! We want to let people know how responsible CHL holders, how they've gone through background checks, training, etc. and that we don't go around shooting people for the hell of it.

Send me a PM if you need an invite to the event or if you have any questions about the protest or SCCC and what you can do to help.

Beg, borrow, or steal a holster! You don't even have to have a CHL but as long as you support the rights of licensed individuals then we need your help! If someone asks you if you have a CHL and you don't want to answer honestly, lie!
nehpets99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 15:06   #2
50 Shooter

Have you heard about Mathew Corwin?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56827

There's more info on the Calguns site if you click on the current legal cases at the top of the page. You need to read all the threads to understand everything behind this case. Also how the Va. Tech incident played into it.

This is something that you might want to add to you cause, use it as a worst case scenario. Worst as in what could happen when people that you know turn you in because they "think" you might do something. Good luck with your cause, won't happen in a million years here in Kali.

Another thing would be to try to get teachers to back you up or want to be armed also.

California Glockers Club Member #50

50 Shooters Forum http://50-bmg.com/forum/index.php
50 Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:58   #3
jeep45238

Send a message via AIM to jeep45238
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=2359003596

Please make sure you're signed up on it. We're near 100 folks so far, but I accidentally deleted 10-15 folks who ARE attending while I was taking out those who aren't.
jeep45238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:48   #4
M4inCA
pho_kit_all

I wish you all the best of luck, but California is not one of those states that allows anyone other the LEO's to have a CA CCW.
M4inCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:56   #5
jeep45238

LEO's last I checked aren't issued CCW licenses.

You CAN get a license in Commifornia, but it's damn difficult.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:35   #6
M4inCA
pho_kit_all

Quote:
Originally posted by jeep45238
LEO's last I checked aren't issued CCW licenses.

You CAN get a license in Commifornia, but it's damn difficult.
Let me rephrase that...

The likelyhood of a college student getting a CCW to carry on campus is right between not gonna happen and you're nuts.

As for LEO's, retired gets a CCW permit, current has a badge.

It's SO hard to get a CCW, even those people who are victims of DV and have RO's on file with reported incidents, still cannot get a CCW.

It's a joke here.

-Plato
Old 08-23-2007, 11:06   #7
jeep45238

So why not try to get the laws changed?

In Florida a grandmother worked for 7 years to pass CCW.

One person started it all, and look at the states that have them now.

Big hill to climb? Heck, it's bigger than Everest. But if you want it, why let the people you vote into office get away with voting without consulting those they represent?
Old 08-23-2007, 11:25   #8
M4inCA
pho_kit_all

You state this as people in CA have not, or are not trying to change the laws.

You do realize we are talking about Komi-fornia...

I'm not bashing you, but I don't expect anyone who doesn't, or has not lived here to understand the thought process of the majority of our local government.

Here's a great for instance:

When I was a few years younger, I bought jeans at major department stores. I don't mean 1 or 2 pair, I mean I wiped out their stock. I would fill the back end of my volkswagon rabbit with jeans. I would carry 20 to 30k in cash, buy them and ship them off to Russia where I would profit about 30-50k.

Now, I figured this would be a good cause for a CCW here in SoCal as I was a legit business man carrying a large amount of cash on a weekly business. Did my local sheriff issue me a permit? NOPE. The application was rejected for lack of "just cause".

So, feel free to come on down and voice your feelings to our government about CCW's. There are 100's of thousands of us that would apply for a CCW in this state if we could get one.

For the record, I have my Florida and Utah state CCW to cover me when we travel. But in my own state, I'm screwed.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:30   #9
jeep45238

I understand completely, but I'm lucky enough to live in a state where I can carry.

My only point is so many people go "it'll never work" without even trying.
Old 08-23-2007, 15:21   #10
nehpets99

Trying and failing: at least you tried and did something, which is more than most people

Giving up in the first place: bad mojo.

Yes, it's Kommifornia and yes, the chances of anything positive happening there ever are slim to straight-jacket, but it's still better than giving up and it might just draw attention to the cause and more support for RKBA is ALWAYS good.
nehpets99 is offline   Reply With Quote