SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:57   #1
deadite
Groovy.

Gander Mountain in GR

I just moved to Grand Rapids and haven't met many people yet. I strolled into the Gander Mountain on 28th street just to look around. I noticed that the prices on firearms were really high compared to what I'm used to, but I'll give them one thing. The two guys that were there behind the counter were really very nice and helpful. One guy went out of his way to write down names and addresses of all the gun clubs around, gave his opinion of which one I should try for different shooting tasks, and in general, was a good guy.
Moving from the east, I'm used to the jerk counter guys that wouldn't pee on you to put a fire out. Talking to these guys made the trip worth it.

deadite
deadite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:34   #2
gsbell
Consumed

Welcome to the area!

A Few Gun Shops:
Silver Bullet, Al & Bobs, MC Sports 28th SE only, Riley's ACE Hardware, Gander Mountain

Action Pistol IDPA & IPSC in Dorr at South Kent http://sksc.org

Next Weekend is the UP North Classic IDPA regional in Cadillac. A little north but a good chance to meet some shooters.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:46   #3
deadite
Groovy.

Thanks gsbell!!

deadite
Old 07-20-2007, 14:52   #4
gsbell
Consumed

There is a spot just south of Caledonia on state land for free informal shooting.

Here are Direction from Grand Rapids:

Paved Road Directions (only about ¼ mile of dirt road) for Pansies
1. Take M-37 south thru Caledonia
2. At 100th Street turn left (East) continue for 2.7 miles
3. At Whitneyville turn right (South) continue for about 2 miles
4. At Parmalee turn left (East) continue for 3.6 miles
5. At Solomon turn left (North) follow the road as it curves to the right continue for 0.6 miles
6. At Huhmprey (dirt road) turn left (North) continue for 0.4 miles gravel pit will be on your left

Alternate Directions (about 1 ½ to 2 miles of dirt roads) Quicker
2. Turn left on 100th Street
3. Turn right on Coldwater about ½ mile past Morse Lake Rd. (follow signs for Caledonia Sportsman Club)
4. Turn Left on 108th Street (just past Caledonia Sportsman Club)
5. First Right is Huhmprey Road. The gravel pit is ¼ mile on the right

Michigan Glockers

Link to Satellite View

My shoulder is just getting back into shape and I need to do some shooting So I'll probably be out there this weekend. If you are interested in checking it out shoot me a PM and we will set something up.
Old 07-21-2007, 18:43   #5
deadite
Groovy.

Thanks!

deadite
Old 07-22-2007, 14:07   #6
deadite
Groovy.

Quote:
Originally posted by gsbell
There is a spot just south of Caledonia on state land for free informal shooting.

Here are Direction from Grand Rapids:

Paved Road Directions (only about ¼ mile of dirt road) for Pansies
2. At 100th Street turn left (East) continue for 2.7 miles
3. At Whitneyville turn right (South) continue for about 2 miles
4. At Parmalee turn left (East) continue for 3.6 miles
5. At Solomon turn left (North) follow the road as it curves to the right continue for 0.6 miles
6. At Huhmprey (dirt road) turn left (North) continue for 0.4 miles gravel pit will be on your left

Alternate Directions (about 1 ½ to 2 miles of dirt roads) Quicker
2. Turn left on 100th Street
3. Turn right on Coldwater about ½ mile past Morse Lake Rd. (follow signs for Caledonia Sportsman Club)
4. Turn Left on 108th Street (just past Caledonia Sportsman Club)
5. First Right is Huhmprey Road. The gravel pit is ¼ mile on the right

Michigan Glockers

Link to Satellite View

My shoulder is just getting back into shape and I need to do some shooting So I'll probably be out there this weekend. If you are interested in checking it out shoot me a PM and we will set something up.
How does it work there? Just pull up and make sure you don't shoot anybody? Are there hours of operation, like sunrise to dusk? Can you shoot anything? Are there many folks there and when is a good time to go that nobody is there? Lots of questions, but it sounds cool. Living in the east, I'm used to very formal shooting ranges and not having the range nazis there sounds inviting.

Thanks buddy!

deadite
Old 07-22-2007, 15:24   #7
jolt8me
Your the devil

im going to have to check that out when i have more time. Looks like that might be near me as well.

When life gives you aids, you make lemonaids.
jolt8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 16:52   #8
gsbell
Consumed

How does it work there? Just pull up and make sure you don't shoot anybody? Pretty much so, there are a few berms spread out more than one group can shoot there.

Are there hours of operation, like sunrise to dusk? There are a few homes close by so just be reasonable.

Can you shoot anything? Yea just pack your garbage out, a few slobs don't.

Are there many folks there and when is a good time to go that nobody is there? Luck of the draw usually if I go out we are the only ones. I have shared the area a few times without trouble.

I was out there a few hours ago and the weeds are getting high so you may want to wear jeans.
Old 07-22-2007, 23:22   #9
10 Ring Tao
Red White Blue

I've had the same experience with gander mountain. Great and incredibly helpful staff (shooting and fishing), but very poor gun prices. Of course, my standard of prices is mostly based on FTF sales.

Now, about that shooting area.

When I was in kzoo, we used to drive north on 131 and go to a small side of the road area where we shot into the side of a hill. All I remember about it is that it was about half way between kzoo and GR, not too far off 131. We might have passed through a town to get there.

I ask because it seems like caledonia is too far north to be the one I shot at. If someone has pics taken there, I think I remember what it looked like.

Visit to help!!-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
10 Ring Tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:45   #10
douglasd
CLM Number 164
Charter Lifetime Member

Re: Gander Mountain in GR

Quote:
Originally posted by deadite
I just moved to Grand Rapids...
I highly recommend Silver Bullet Firearms on S. Division, just north of 54th Street.

A first class operation; friendly, helpful staff, and a great indoor range.

Best prices I've found on guns in the area, and a good selection as well. They also rent guns.

(No, I don't own it or work there )
Doug - The necessary consequence of man’s right to life is his right to self-defense. In a civilized society, force may be used only in retaliation and only against those who initiate its use. All the reasons which make the initiation of physical force an evil, make the retaliatory use of physical force a moral imperative. | Ayn Rand - “The Nature of Government,” The Virtue of Selfishness, 108

"When seconds count, the police are just minutes away."
douglasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:10   #11
deadite
Groovy.

Re: Re: Gander Mountain in GR

Quote:
Originally posted by douglasd
I highly recommend Silver Bullet Firearms on S. Division, just north of 54th Street.

A first class operation; friendly, helpful staff, and a great indoor range.

Best prices I've found on guns in the area, and a good selection as well. They also rent guns.

(No, I don't own it or work there )
I'm thinking of taking my concealed carry class there. I hear they're really good in that area.

deadite
Old 07-23-2007, 08:33   #12
douglasd
CLM Number 164
Charter Lifetime Member

Re: Re: Re: Gander Mountain in GR

Quote:
I'm thinking of taking my concealed carry class there. I hear they're really good in that area.

deadite
I can't speak to that issue, but if their classes are anything like the rest of their operation, I would think you're right.
Doug - The necessary consequence of man’s right to life is his right to self-defense. In a civilized society, force may be used only in retaliation and only against those who initiate its use. All the reasons which make the initiation of physical force an evil, make the retaliatory use of physical force a moral imperative. | Ayn Rand - “The Nature of Government,” The Virtue of Selfishness, 108

Old 07-23-2007, 11:20   #13
gsbell
Consumed

I bought a few guns at Silver Bullet, their prices were a bit better when they first opened. They have risen a bit, but not to the outrageous level. Great indoor range. I also shoot IDPA with a few of the guys that work there.
Old 07-23-2007, 15:00   #14
DennisH
FFG-60

Re: Gander Mountain in GR

Quote:
I just moved to Grand Rapids and haven't met many people yet. I strolled into the Gander Mountain on 28th street just to look around. I noticed that the prices on firearms were really high compared to what I'm used to, but I'll give them one thing. The two guys that were there behind the counter were really very nice and helpful. One guy went out of his way to write down names and addresses of all the gun clubs around, gave his opinion of which one I should try for different shooting tasks, and in general, was a good guy.
Moving from the east, I'm used to the jerk counter guys that wouldn't pee on you to put a fire out. Talking to these guys made the trip worth it.

deadite
The gent in charge of the firearms dept, while a relatively young gent (he's in his 20's, I'm 52) should be named "Kent." I've known him and his 11 other brothers and sisters, and his parents since 1970. He (and they) are all the salt of the earth and some of the finest, most honest, hard-working people you'll ever meet. If you go in there and ask for Kent, just tell him that Dennis sent you. His family owned a gun shop up near Alpena (Spruce) for years, so he knows his stuff.
Glock 30 .45ACP, Big Dawg #1213
Glock 33 .357 Sig, Top Gun #1955
S&W 649 .357 Mag
Ruger Blackhawk .357
Taurus PT-111 9mm
Browning DA 9mm
DennisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 16:55   #15
rmw66

Re: Re: Gander Mountain in GR

Quote:
Originally posted by DennisH
His family owned a gun shop up near Alpena (Spruce) for years, so he knows his stuff. [/B]
Was it Will's on Hubbard Lake ? If they went out if business I am sorry to hear that
rmw66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 23:46   #16
councilman24

Quote:
Originally posted by 10 Ring Tao

When I was in kzoo, we used to drive north on 131 and go to a small side of the road area where we shot into the side of a hill. All I remember about it is that it was about half way between kzoo and GR, not too far off 131. We might have passed through a town to get there.

I ask because it seems like caledonia is too far north to be the one I shot at. If someone has pics taken there, I think I remember what it looked like.
Pretty sure that was west of Allegan. There a place right along the road. I head out that way to go hiking. I'd have to look up a map to give you the road. As I drove by always seemed to be a little to casual for me. But I belong to the two gun clubs here near Kalamazoo.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:53   #17
douglasd
CLM Number 164
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
I bought a few guns at Silver Bullet, their prices were a bit better when they first opened. They have risen a bit, but not to the outrageous level.
They are still the lowest prices I have seen anywhere in central Michigan, though. I get to G.Rapids quite often, and with gas prices as they are, I will pay an extra $10 or $20 per gun so as not to have to drive 100 miles to get it. The cost of gas would wipe out any savings on the gun, unless it was quite substantial.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:46   #18
gsbell
Consumed

Quote:
They are still the lowest prices I have seen anywhere in central Michigan, though. I get to G.Rapids quite often, and with gas prices as they are, I will pay an extra $10 or $20 per gun so as not to have to drive 100 miles to get it. The cost of gas would wipe out any savings on the gun, unless it was quite substantial.
You are right about the price of gas wiping out potential savings, but the last gun I bought was a Glock 34 and I saved $45 going 3 miles up the road to Al & Bob's. Lucky find? Who knows but I was glad I shopped around on that one.
Old 08-24-2007, 20:13   #19
douglasd
CLM Number 164
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
...the last gun I bought was a Glock 34 and I saved $45 going 3 miles up the road to Al & Bob's.
Good deal. I'll have to check them out...I haven't been there yet.

Old 08-24-2007, 20:59   #20
gsbell
Consumed

Quote:
Good deal. I'll have to check them out...I haven't been there yet.
Kind of a little hole in the wall type place, small gun counter in a hunting-fishing sporting goods store. Friendly guys and they always seem busy when I've been in there. It's where Doug the co-owner at Silver Bullet came from.