Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:26   #1
MADISON

Virginia's 2007-2008 Legislative Session

It is manditory that the VCDL do the following, fur Virginia gun owners:
[1] Shut down our anti-gun Governor's intempt to add more GUN CONTROL
because of the VT insident.
[2] Make a MUST DO priority to make Virginia's CCW law LIFE TIME.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:37   #2
DragonRider

Try for the serving of alcohol requirements. But, I agree that Madisons #1 item is going to take most of this years efforts....
Top Gun #6121 Sub Club #121 .40 Club #6121 Kahr Club #121
DragonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:41   #3
vafish

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonRider
Try for the serving of alcohol requirements. But, I agree that Madisons #1 item is going to take most of this years efforts....
I agree,

Stopping any additional gun laws is #1.

Restaurant Ban is #2.

Lifetime CCW, it would be nice but the current one only costs $10 per year. That's not killing me.

Rather than a lifetime permit I'd rather see Vermont/Alaska carry.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 22:44   #4
Jerseycitysteve

Both Alaska and Vermont are low population largely rural states. We will never have their laws.

The crown jewel of Virginia gun law is getting rid of the silly restaurant ban on concealed carry. I would put a zero tolerance for alcohol consumption in the bill.

I've gotten a lot of heat around here speaking my mind about open carry as if I'm some sort of liberal gun grabber. My life time NRA membership, enjoyment of hunting and practical shooting has not, to put it mildly, helped my career in the United Methodist Church. My church is rabidly anti-gun and I am a pistol packing heretic.

Now, Virginia gun owners should be proud. We have had a string of political victories. The democrats realize our power and that's why CCW holder Sen. James Webb was nominated.

We need to be vigilant and not over reach ourselves. In my opinion, we will see backlash from politically aggressive open carry. I hope I am wrong.
Jerseycitysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:13   #5
vafish

Steve,

Never say never. I'm not optimistic that AK/VT carry will happen anytime soon, I was just expressing my opinion that I would rather see it than a lifetime permit. The point I was trying to make was that while lifetime permits would be nice, I don't think it's worth expending a lot of effort over since the savings are only $10 per year. $10 barely buys lunch at McDonald's.

I hope you are wrong too.

While I disagree with your stance on open carry, I believe that you do support the 2A. But what interpretation of the 2A? Jim Zumbo was a hunter that said he supported the 2A, but then he called for regulation and banning of evil black rifles.

I believe that our founding fathers had open carry in mind when they said we had a right to keep and bear arms. To bear arms means to carry them. I don't think that any government entity should be able to stop the open carrying of firearms.

Anytime you give into antigunners and give them a little, they always comeback and try to take more.

I very rarely open carry, but it's nice to have the option to do so and it's even nicer to not have to worry about an accidental exposing of my carry gun.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 18:54   #6
Jerseycitysteve

I agree with you on 99% of the issues. If I had a place to shoot the rifle, I'd own an AR-15.

I moved out of the district because I couldn't bear the gun laws.

My Bishop hates the NRA. I've never hidden my membership.

I don't believe in open carry in large cities for two reasons.

First, tactically open carry is a bad idea. Ask anybody from Gabe Suarez to Clint Smith. Shoot, many of us won't wear a vest or a fanny pack because these items scream gun! Do what you like but I've lived in cities all my life. Cops don't even like to open carry out of uniform.

Second, we have the holophobes reeling in Virginia. The NRA and other organizations have given us some of the best firearms laws on earth! How many other nations have our laws. I don't want to galvanize the opposition with in your face tactics and street theater. I hope I am wrong.
Jerseycitysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 18:09   #7
keith56
BAD KARMA

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerseycitysteve

I don't believe in open carry in large cities for two reasons.

First, tactically open carry is a bad idea. Ask anybody from Gabe Suarez to Clint Smith. Shoot, many of us won't wear a vest or a fanny pack because these items scream gun! Do what you like but I've lived in cities all my life. Cops don't even like to open carry out of uniform.

Second, we have the holophobes reeling in Virginia. The NRA and other organizations have given us some of the best firearms laws on earth! How many other nations have our laws. I don't want to galvanize the opposition with in your face tactics and street theater. I hope I am wrong.
I agree, I have carried a handgun CONCEALED for 29 years never believed in open carry,never will.