Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-24-2007, 18:52   #1
DreamWeaver88

Got A Mac....Have A Few Questions

With my recent computer problems (not major problems mind you).....and my Jonesing for a new computer for the last few months, I ended up buying a Macbook Pro the other day and gave the Windows laptop to my brother.

I really like the Macbook so far. I have a few questions though....

Should I be running something like Zonealarm?.....or is the Firewall in Mac OS-X good enough?

Should I get some kind of Anti-Virus software? Is it needed at all?

Is there a good Usenet newsgroup reader available for Mac? I used Outlook Express on my old machine. I'd really like to stay away from web based, like Google Groups.

That's about it....

Thanks,

DW
DreamWeaver88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 19:08   #2
whitetiger7653
NRA Life Member

I've had mine for over a year now with no extra crap like that and I haven't got any viruses or anything. But I don't clicking stupid banners to spam websites like some people might do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

whitetiger7653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 19:34   #3
BLiTzNicK
Silent Member

Try this for newsgroups:

http://www.freemacware.com/igrabnews/

That freemacware site is pretty nice.
Old 07-24-2007, 19:44   #4
kevbo
CLM Number 65
Itchy Member

I use Norton anti-virus with daily updates. Seems to work for me. I use a lot of Microsoft products and most of the yoyos who send me Word docs, URLs to 'those' sites etc most of the time send me stuf full of viruses and this keeps them out even if they won't infect Macs.

At the office I have a server that uses Abaca spam filter on top of a firewall. Proguncali set me up and if he sees this he might wade in.

All in all I am a Mac man and have been for the last 20 yrs. The only routine program I use that will not boot on the Mac is Microsoft Project. With the PowerBook Pro, all I do is boot up in Windows and I am good to go. Used to use Virtual PC which was a POS. The pc side of my Mac is a screamer. I can't tell I am on a Mac running Windows. Still, Windows is a very crappy OS
Benelli Nova 12 ga/Springfield SOCOM 16/ NRA Life Member/California Glockers Club member #9
kevbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 19:58   #5
passive101

I have a macbook running os x and windows xp right now in bootcamp.

I use Neo Office (open office mac version) Opens ANY microsoft office file. It has worked fantastic for me for a word processor and spread sheets.

I use adium for my instant messengers and Skype.

Firefox is my browser of choice in os x.
passive101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 20:02   #6
RickD
Pro-Open Curry

Send a message via AIM to RickD

The purpose of anti-virus software on a Mac is to protect your friends with PCs as you might send them ("pass-through") an infected MS file that you got from another infected PC.

Rick

Last edited by RickD; 07-24-2007 at 20:21..
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 20:14   #7
noway

LOL on that last post but it's 100% true.

i haven't ran a virus checking on my last 2 macs or 3 linux workstations......

noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 20:38   #8
DDALET2000

Rick is right. You don't have to worry about viruses as much. Try Entourage. I love my Macbook.
DT
DDALET2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 21:16   #9
kash2

Here is some nice freeware for the MacBook. It lets you control the keyboard backlight manually.

http://labtick.proculo.de/
kash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 14:43   #10
DreamWeaver88

Thanks a lot for the info, guys.

Looks like I'll need some virus protection if I get bootcamp and run XP.

DW
Old 07-25-2007, 14:53   #11
freepatriot
Retired GT Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by noway
LOL on that last post but it's 100% true.

i haven't ran a virus checking on my last 2 macs or 3 linux workstations......

+1 and good luck DW88

freepatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 15:13   #12
no one special

security through obscurity is no security at all.

You don't assume you won't get a virus, no matter if it's Mac or Linux or whatever. Always run an anti-virus.
Old 07-25-2007, 16:04   #13
stonehousemm

Unison is the ultimate newsgroup reader for mac. well, for anything, but it's only available for mac.

http://www.panic.com/unison/

This thing actually sorts all files related to one and puts it in a folder for your browsing.

Congrats on the switch.
stonehousemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 21:42   #14
RickD
Pro-Open Curry

Send a message via AIM to RickD

Quote:
Originally posted by no one special

You don't assume you won't get a virus, no matter if it's Mac or Linux or whatever. Always run an anti-virus.
That's not the only reason. The Mac OS is just more secure. Folks have tried and failed. There are no viruses for the Mac. The closest they've come is writing code that still required that access to the kernal be given to the "hacker."

Two years. No virus. No spamware. No nuthin.

And furthermore, Iddd lke tu sy akt ltfjavv blee k delad m.waog

Rkci
Old 07-25-2007, 21:49   #15
NoloContendere
OAF Lawyer

Full of good software/freeware/shareware
http://www.pure-mac.com/

Great IM client
http://www.adiumx.com/

DVD Ripping
http://handbrake.m0k.org/
http://www.mactheripper.org/

To play WMV files
http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv.htm

If you have to sync to a windows mobile phone/pda in mac
http://www.markspace.com/

I don't run a virus checker on my mac. I used to use entourage for email, it's pretty cool. but, i use gmail now so i don't download all my email. I switch computers frequently.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:42   #16
Murphy77
English Member

http://eshop.macsales.com/

These guys come highly recommended on the web for upgrades.

I have bought RAM upgrades from them.
They are even cheaper for me to ship parts from them to England for me.!!
Old 07-26-2007, 08:19   #17
Deanster
CLM Number 250
Cheese?

Quote:

This is a difficult issue - you're quite right, that walking around assuming that Macs are impervious is a terrible plan, because they're not.

However, the way most anti-virus works is by comparing characteristics of known viruses against items found on the computer. This checking creates substantial overhead, and a drag on the entire system. It's a necessary evil on Windows.

On Macs, this creates a problem. As there are ZERO viruses, malware, or trojan horses in the wild to compare signatures against, so it's all wasted effort.

I'm a HUGE believer in cautious security, and I actually wish the state of Mac security were better than it is - I think that Apple has a ways to go in getting serious about security, as the latest mDNS hacks appear to show.

However, I just can't honestly see running a virus checker that I KNOW isn't checking for anything, and in all liklihood won't stop a virus that does eventually come in, because it doesn't have a profile. Slowing down everything the computer does do defend against a non-existent threat just doesn't make sense to me.

I do run ClamAV on my office e-mail server, to keep malware from passing through my Macs, and for the benefit of the Windows machines in the office, but I'll wait until the first OS X malware is found in the wild, and then go add anti-malware software on my Mac laptops and workstations.

The major counter-argument to my approach is the idea that the 'behavioral' shields in anti-malware will catch unknown bad stuff, but the reality is that at least on the Windows side, even the best 'behavioral' filters do a lousy job of catching unknown malware in tests. I recognize this as a weakness, and have concluded that I'm willing to trade a 30% chance of catching unknown malware by behavior for faster operation in general, at least for now.

Long story short, you're not wrong, but given the ZERO threat in the wild, I don't feel like the cost/benefit works out at the moment.
Deanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 19:33   #18
DreamWeaver88

Great advice so far, guys.

Now.......If I want to run Windows XP, what is the better way to do it.....Boot Camp, or Parallels?

Pro's and Con's of each?

Thanks,

DW
Old 07-26-2007, 21:17   #19
BLiTzNicK
Silent Member

I have one of the new MacBooks, running a Core 2 Duo @ 2.16ghz with 2GB of ram, and I run Windows XP via parallels. I allocate 1GB to XP when I run it, and it runs very well. My XP install is required so that I can manage AD. I also use Microsoft Expression Web to manage a website, as well as the Adobe CS2 suite of apps. I couldn't justify the purchase of the Mac version of these programs since I was already licensed for Windows. I experience no lag, and performance is good.

The only con to Parallels is that while 3d acceleration is there, it's not really all that good. If you require the ability to run Windows games, or other 3d intensive apps, boot camp is the way to go.

You can download a trial of Parallels, install XP in it, and try it out. If you don't like it, simply delete the Virtual Machine, uninstall Parallels, and use boot camp. I love parallels once I finally got it setup to suite me.
Old 07-27-2007, 00:03   #20
graydj

Re: Got A Mac....Have A Few Questions

Quote:
Originally posted by DreamWeaver88

I really like the Macbook so far. I have a few questions though....

Should I be running something like Zonealarm?.....or is the Firewall in Mac OS-X good enough?

Should I get some kind of Anti-Virus software? Is it needed at all?

Is there a good Usenet newsgroup reader available for Mac? I used Outlook Express on my old machine. I'd really like to stay away from web based, like Google Groups.
Congrats on your decision to buy the Glock of the computing world.

I do not believe that there is a "ZoneAlarm" for the Mac. I used to run it on Windows and do not worry about not running something like it on my Mac.

I have been running Mac OS X for 2 and a half years now with no AntiVirus and no problems. If you are really paranoid (like I am) you can waste your time buying a product from a company that creates viruses, but I don't worry about it.

I use Thunderbird as a newgroup reader on my Mac...It is make by the same people that make Firefox and it is free. Unison is also good but you have to pay for it...