Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-24-2007, 19:26   #1
IDA77

Gun Shop Etiquette

Just a quick question on gun store etiquette. I recently went to a store in the pocono area in Monroe cty. called Weavers. I was with a friend who does alot of busines there. Also I bought a Bushmaster from this shop last summer so the owner knoes who I am.
I told him I was there to purchase two b.u.g 's. I work in armed security. When one of his employees started to show me a few he ran over shouting at the guy. The owner said his policy is not to let a customer work any action on a new auto or revolver. He embarassed the new employee, making him look like an idiot. Personally I will not buy any firearm if I cant examine it.
This owner knew I was there to buy.Instead I walked out and spent $600.00 about 1 mile up the road. How about basic safety rules ? I always check any firearm handed to me. This owner only wants you to look. How common is this? Any other similar experiences?
IDA77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 23:08   #2
gaboonviper85

Send a message via AIM to gaboonviper85 Send a message via Yahoo to gaboonviper85
i would have said the guy is an ass!!!! I would never even step foot in a shop if they will not let me inspect the action! who in there right mind would even buy a gun if they are not aloud to cycle it once or twice.

now when i cycle an action i do it slowly and im gentle on the weapon with muzzle always pointed at the floor....i never had anyone even give the the dreaded eye by doing this so i have no idea why the guy would even flip out like that.
gaboonviper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 17:14   #3
deputy tom

That guy is not a businessman or a safe person.I worked in a sporting goods(gunshop) store for a lot of years.I ALWAYS opened the action and checked the chamber prior to handing the firearm over to the potential customer.I let them check out the action/dryfire in a safe direction and I always re-opened and checked the chamber prior to replacing said firearm into the display case or wall rack.I would take my business elsewhere as you have done.tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cel The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 21:20   #4
n3hcp
Paranoid Member

Re: Gun Shop Etiquette

Quote:
Originally posted by IDA77
The owner said his policy is not to let a customer work any action on a new auto or revolver. He embarassed the new employee, making him look like an idiot.
OK...that's just stupid! At that point I would have told the owner so and left, vowing never to return and do my best to see that no one I know ever darkens his doorway. Guys like that really frost my...well you get the picture!
Old 07-26-2007, 21:24   #5
Vitamin G
Got G?

Send a message via AIM to Vitamin G Send a message via Yahoo to Vitamin G
There's a guy in the Pitt/Harrisburg gunshows that has the same policy. I wonder if its the same guy. His rationale was that he sold only "Brand new, Never Used" guns. If someone worked the action, it was no longer "Never used".

I guess all his guns exclude the test firing
Old 07-27-2007, 18:25   #6
IDA77

gun shop etiquette

This owner uses the same reasoning. He told me people want new firearms and he has people argue that the display gun is not "new" if it has any marks from handling.

Well anyway I went on up the road and bought a Taurus Ultralight & a keltec. Both very easy to conceal. I wear the Taurus in a holster on my body armor and the Keltec in front left pocket
IDA77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 18:43   #7
ki4dmh
Glock Lover

I have a family member that works at a gun shop. They were unpacking a shipment of new firearms a while back. Low and behold one of the new autoloaders(I want name the brand)had a round chambered. You better believe that I am going to check every firearm out that I pick up at a gunshop or I will not be buying anything there.
Scott
Old 08-08-2007, 12:49   #8
Pro2A

Send a message via AIM to Pro2A Send a message via Yahoo to Pro2A
I buy from Blue Mountain in Chambersburg and they are very polite people. They let me handle the gun before I purchase it. I don't know what this guys problem is, but most places I go they will let me handle the gun. Looks like you just had a bad encounter.
Pro2A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:21   #9
kawalerzysta

Re: Gun Shop Etiquette

Quote:
Originally posted by IDA77
Just a quick question on gun store etiquette. I recently went to a store in the pocono area in Monroe cty. called Weavers. I was with a friend who does alot of busines there. Also I bought a Bushmaster from this shop last summer so the owner knoes who I am.
I told him I was there to purchase two b.u.g 's. I work in armed security. When one of his employees started to show me a few he ran over shouting at the guy. The owner said his policy is not to let a customer work any action on a new auto or revolver. He embarassed the new employee, making him look like an idiot. Personally I will not buy any firearm if I cant examine it.
This owner knew I was there to buy.Instead I walked out and spent $600.00 about 1 mile up the road. How about basic safety rules ? I always check any firearm handed to me. This owner only wants you to look. How common is this? Any other similar experiences?
Owner of that store often posts on this site and even had few sales just for Glock Talk users. I bought my G19 and nobody stopped me from checking action on the gun.
Old 08-16-2007, 22:06   #10
warners surplus

Re: Re: Gun Shop Etiquette

Quote:
Originally posted by kawalerzysta
Owner of that store often posts on this site and even had few sales just for Glock Talk users. I bought my G19 and nobody stopped me from checking action on the gun.
Hello kawalerzysta,

I think you may have confused me with Weaver's
If I would have known when I opened that we would occasionaly be confused with them, I would have come up with a different name.

I see no problem with customers working the action of a firearm, to me it shows they know the proper way to handle a firearm.

Rich
warners surplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:03   #11
kawalerzysta

Re: Re: Re: Gun Shop Etiquette

Quote:
Originally posted by warners surplus
Hello kawalerzysta,

I think you may have confused me with Weaver's
If I would have known when I opened that we would occasionaly be confused with them, I would have come up with a different name.

I see no problem with customers working the action of a firearm, to me it shows they know the proper way to handle a firearm.

Rich
Duh
Well, I thought that this post referring to you so i did attempt to defend your shop. At least I had good intentions
Now, I try to figure out where Weaver's is. Only place I can think is that is located near Brodheasville/Effort on RT 715. Remember passing gun store fewtimes en route to dealership. So now I wonder if that strore on 715 is Weavers.
Old 08-19-2007, 17:21   #12
PAKrazee

yeah, Weaver's is in brodheadsville, its not on 715, but the sign is.

I do buy from Phil at Weavers, and never had an issue. BY FAR, the best prices in the area with a great selection.