SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:21   #1
GUNZEALOT
Up all night

Iron cross

Why is the iron cross popular with the cruiser type bikers? I did a little research and the iron cross is a medal given to the german army during war time. It is not a nazi symbol, but was used by them just like it was used by germans prior to that era. Reason I ask, is that I was looking through a motorcycle catalog and there are numerous items with the iron cross.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:34   #2
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Back in the halcyon days of the Hells Angels and the Mongols, you ain't a badass unless you wear Nazi panaphernalia and it spills over nowadays. That's why you see the badass wannabes wearing Maltese crosses and Nazi style helmets.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:18   #3
Batesmotel

Don't know why they wear it but the Maltese cross goes back to the middle ages not just Germany.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:31   #4
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Quote:
Originally posted by Batesmotel
Don't know why they wear it but the Maltese cross goes back to the middle ages not just Germany.
So does the swastika, but I wouldn't suggest wearing it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:53   #5
whogasak47
JPFO-GOA

Re: Iron cross

Quote:
Originally posted by GUNZEALOT
Why is the iron cross popular with the cruiser type bikers? I did a little research and the iron cross is a medal given to the german army during war time. It is not a nazi symbol, but was used by them just like it was used by germans prior to that era. Reason I ask, is that I was looking through a motorcycle catalog and there are numerous items with the iron cross.
The Warrior's Cross ,easily purchased,(not earned)like the H.O.G. three piece patch to imply( billy-bad-ass )in the modern cruiser circle. Sometimes was used in the 1960's and 70's as a Surfer's cross with a surfer image brazed over front of iron cross. Good Luck and Ride Safe

http://www.netpages.free-online.co.uk/gms/sinister.htm
Rule #1 Watch out for Number 1.
Rule #2 Remember your Number.

There is nothing wrong with a little shooting, as long as the right people get shot.
whogasak47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 21:44   #6
ndbullet500
Unmutual

Re: Re: Iron cross

Quote:
Originally posted by whogasak47
The Warrior's Cross ,easily purchased,(not earned)like the H.O.G. three piece patch to imply( billy-bad-ass )in the modern cruiser circle.
The featured Marque at the AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days this year was the HD Sportster. Hmmmm, ok. Last year was MV Agusta - pretty comparable choice.

Anyway, so there were a lot of H-D fans there, which is obviously fine, but a rather different crowd than the usual folks into vintage Euro and Japanese bikes. It never failed to make me laugh seeing guys all dolled up with non or minimally functional leather and wearing their H.O.G. "colors" on a sleeveless denim vest. Maybe I'm just easily amused.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:52   #7
oldgraywolf
NRA, SAF

Re: Re: Re: Iron cross

Quote:
Originally posted by ndbullet500

Anyway, so there were a lot of H-D fans there, which is obviously fine, but a rather different crowd than the usual folks into vintage Euro and Japanese bikes. It never failed to make me laugh seeing guys all dolled up with non or minimally functional leather and wearing their H.O.G. "colors" on a sleeveless denim vest. Maybe I'm just easily amused.
I'm a long-time Harley rider and I am also amused by the "uniform" all the Harley individualists wear. I see more of the Japanese cruiser afficionados getting into the same get-up, but the vests/do-rags/turtle-shell helmets, etc. are still mainly the province of Harley riders. Gotta have the "bad" look. I know a very successful CPA who goes from a conservative business suit to his bad biker uniform every weekend.

I don't fit at all, with my Shoei X-11, FirstGear Ranger jacket that's NOT black, armored jersey, armored jeans, and zero tatoos. But I was riding before many of them were born and also don't believe that H-D is the one and only motorcycle.
oldgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 13:51   #8
wolfy692005
pro tinkerer

Send a message via Yahoo to wolfy692005

having hung around "biker clubs" of the not so leagle type i can say this. At the time i was around (keep in mind most fixing bikes) the cross was tattoo'd on a person for "sending a soul to heven or hell" each cross was worn as a badge of honor. Also the same as a tear drop. I have not witnessed any such action, just was told about them. Anyone having such a tattoo was held in higher reguard.
1911 club member,Florida Glockers Club,
Sig Club and Ruger Club, all the same # 692005
wolfy692005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 16:51   #9
Carlitos

My understanding is that the first "biker gangs" were largely made up of WWII combat vets who, for one reason or another, failed to integrate back into American society like normal people & they became the sort of legendary mis-fits you would expect to start biker gangs. The brought back all sorts of crap from the war - including German helmets (bike helmets were largely non existant in the 40s) and crosses.

I think war often causes psychological trauma & drifting around on a harley or indian was one symptom.

-Mahatma Gandhi

Call the anti-gun, "Violence Policy Center" shill group, "American Hunters & Shooters Assoc." and tell them to go to heck! (202) 315-3370
Carlitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 16:46   #10
tshadow6

"Iron Cross"

Don't all the people wearing the nazi stuff relize they LOST. Not only did they lose, the people they tried to exterminate built a thriving democracy in the desert, their leader committed suicide, and the thousand year reich lasted less than twenty years. Just ride people, and shoot Glocks legally.
tshadow6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 22:18   #11
HollowHead
Firm member

It was all about attention and pissing society off. Kind of like hip-hop culture with saggy jeans and Accords with fart cans. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 13:19   #12
G21novice

History of the Iron Cross.

It's design came from the mists of antiquity in German tradition, probably being patterned upon the Black Cross adopted by German Crusaders between 1074 and 1270.
Iron Cross.
Originally created in 1813 by King Fredrick III during Prussia's period of 'blood and iron' - their struggle for survival against Napoleon.
It was intended to replace other traditional awards during times of war, such as the Order of the Red Eagle or the Pour le Mèrite (known as the Blue Max during WW1).
In practice, all other medals were issued as well as the Iron Cross.
All 1813 medals had the upper central letters "FW" for Frederick III (Friedrich Wilhelm)
The Iron Cross was re-issued during the Franco-Prussian war (1870-71).
All 1870/71 medals have the central letter "W" for Wilhelm I
It was revived for the 1914-18 war
all 1914/18 medals have the central letter "W" for Wilhelm II
Hitler (who had been awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class in WW1) reintroduced it in WW2
All 1939/45 medals have the swastika in the central position.
In 1957 the banned "nazi" Iron Crosses were re-issued in a de-n

-courtesy of diggerhistory dot info
G21novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 13:26   #13
minuteman32
NRA & GOA Life

Looking @ the political climate today, on not only the federal, but also the state & local level, I am not at ALL suprised that "Nazi" symbols are "in vogue"! It only seems natural. (the left want to take our guns & other freedoms, the right wants to take other freedoms & sometimes our guns)
minuteman32 is offline   Reply With Quote