Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-26-2007, 14:38   #1
barmen9122

Florida - Newbie Question

I shoot at the range at least every two weeks. But what I would like to do is some target practice at various things such as a phone book, water jugs, ply wood, sheet metal, etc...gain some first hand experience on the interaction of my 40 cal. rounds on different materials and settings. Some range masters suggested I find some private property with alot of land and get permission from the owner. Not sure where to begin.

Can anyone here in Florida fill me in on where I go or whom I could talk to.

Any info would be of great help.

barmen9122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 14:52   #2
john in jax

Where in Florida are you? There are state operated ranges scattered accross FL where shooters are on the (no)honor system = no range masters. You are supposed to only use the approved targets and frames, but the ranges are commonly littered with all sorts of trash and debries irresponsibel shooters have used as targets and left behind.

I have no problem with people wanting to shoot cans, bottles, phone boks or whatever, but they should at least pack their trash in the nearest trash cans when they are done.

Here's a website showing where the public ranges are:
http://myfwc.com/huntered/ranges.html

Call ranges near you see if any offer IDPA shooting. IDPA is a real blast, you'll really enjoy it. And it is much better training than shooting phone books.

FL residents check out: http://flaguns.com/phpBB3/index.php
john in jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 14:55   #3
sidewinder6

Where in Florida are you?
sidewinder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 14:57   #4
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Sorry, can't help with Florida, but I will advise that if you find a place, be sure to clean up after yourself!

Leaving broken bottles, dead phone books, food wrappers or any other trash (like empty cartridge cases) behind is one of the quickest ways to get a shooter barred from a good place to shoot.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

U.S. Army-MNNG 73-83 95 Bravo
NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 15:16   #5
INFI

Quote:
Originally posted by john in jax
Where in Florida are you? There are state operated ranges scattered accross FL where shooters are on the (no)honor system = no range masters. You are supposed to only use the approved targets and frames, but the ranges are commonly littered with all sorts of trash and debries irresponsibel shooters have used as targets and left behind.

I have no problem with people wanting to shoot cans, bottles, phone boks or whatever, but they should at least pack their trash in the nearest trash cans when they are done.

Here's a website showing where the public ranges are:
http://myfwc.com/huntered/ranges.html

Call ranges near you see if any offer IDPA shooting. IDPA is a real blast, you'll really enjoy it. And it is much better training than shooting phone books.

I think I am going to head to one of the Osceola ranges this weekend. Thanks for the info even though it was another person who asked the question. Too bad our weekends got too busy to meet up and shoot last week. We will have to find some time to go to the gun gallery. -Jeff
Glock 20(The King)
INFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 15:26   #6
INFI

Also, it says target frames must be used. I know what a target frame is, and have used them before. But, is there a specific frame you must have? Or can you just go get some 1x2"s and build your own? I haven't shot at an outdoor range since I lived in California and that has been several years.
Glock 20(The King)
INFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 18:46   #7
barmen9122

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewinder6
Where in Florida are you?
I live in the Tampa Bay area, across the bay in Clearwataer.

And about cleaning up after youself, I have always been pretty strict on myself about taking with you what ever you brought. I think it's just habbit after doing scuba for so many years.

Thanks for the info on the state outdoor ranges. I'll have to check some out.

barmen9122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 19:28   #8
packinaglock
John 3:16 <><

I wish everyone had your additude about cleaning up, I hate litter!