Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:37   #1
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Send a message via Yahoo to Glockrunner
How Smart Are You??

There are 18 questions, get a piece of paper, and write down the answers. Then check the bottom of this page for the correct answers. No cheating.

Question #1. There's one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contestants do. What is it?

Question #2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

Question #3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?

Question #4. At noon and midnight the hour and minute hands are exactly coincident with each other. How many other times between noon and midnight do the hour and minute hands cross?

Question #5. What is the only sport in which the ball is always in the possession of the team on defense, and the offensive team can score without touching the ball?

Question #6. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

Question #7. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

Question #8. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters "dw". They are all common. Name two of them.

Question #9. There are fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name half of them?

Question #10. Where are the lakes that are referred to in the "Los Angeles Lakers"?

Question #11. There are seven ways a baseball player can legally reach first base without getting a hit. Taking a base on balls, a walk is one way. Name the other six.

Question #12. It's the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh. What is it?

Question #13. How is it possible for a pitcher to make four or more strikeouts in one inning?

Question #14. Name six or more things that you can wear on your feet, that begin with the letter "s".

Question #15. Find the English word that can be formed from all these letters: PNLLEEEESSSSS

Question #16. How many times can you subtract 2 from the numeral 9?

Question #17. If you take two apples from three apples, how many apples will you have?

Question #18. If you are standing on a hard floor, how can you drop an egg three feet without breaking the egg?
>
>
>
Question #1. Answer: Boxing.

Question #2. Answer: Niagara Falls. The rim is worn down about 2 and a half feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.

Question #3. Answer: Asparagus and rhubarb.

Question #4. Answer: Ten times (not eleven, as most people seem to think).

Question #5. Answer: Baseball.

Question #6. Answer: Strawberry.

Question #7. Answer: The pear grew inside the bottle. The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small, and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the whole growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.

Question #8. Answer: Dwarf, dwell, and dwindle.

Question #9. Answer: Period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotation marks, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.

Question #10. Answer: In Minnesota. The team was originally known as the Minneapolis Lakers, and kept the name when they moved west.

Question #11. Answer: Batter hit by a pitch; passed ball; catcher interference; catcher drops third strike; fielder's choice; and being designated as a pinch runner.

Question #12. Answer:Lettuce.

Question #13. Answer: If the catcher drops a called third strike, and doesn't throw the batter out at first base, the runner is safe.

Question #14. Answer: Shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, snowshoes, stockings, and so on.

Question #15. Answer: Sleeplessness.

Question #16. Answer: Just once. Then you'd be subtracting 2 from the numeral 7, then 2 from the numeral 5, and so forth.

Question #17. Answer: You will have two apples.

Question #18. Answer: Hold the egg more than three feet above the ground when you drop it.
Old 07-31-2007, 21:30   #2
Navy HMC

I got all 18. I are smyrt!!!
Navy HMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 22:22   #3
daveycrockett

I got a few of them. For number 11 there are 8 ways, an error!
Old 07-31-2007, 23:58   #4
Juliet Lima
Hawaiian Guy

I've read and reread the last one and just don't get it.

maybe i is one idiot, but i aint understand it
Juliet Lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 00:27   #5
Navy HMC

Quote:
Originally posted by Juliet Lima
I've read and reread the last one and just don't get it.

maybe i is one idiot, but i aint understand it
Question #18. If you are standing on a hard floor, how can you drop an egg three feet without breaking the egg?

Think about it: Hold the egg 4' off the floor, when the egg has fallen 3' it is still intact/unbroken. It will only break when it hits the floor 1' later-4'from where it was dropped.

clear as mudd?

-4' () -0' from where dropped

-3' () -1'

-2' () -2'

-1' () -3' from where dropped egg still unbroken

-floor "splat"

Last edited by Navy HMC; 08-01-2007 at 00:30..
Old 08-01-2007, 00:29   #6
daveycrockett

If you drop the egg from 3 feet it will hit the floor and break at 3 feet. If you drop the egg from say 3 1/2 feet it will drop for more than 3 feet and will break at 3 1/2 feet!
Old 08-01-2007, 00:31   #7
Navy HMC

I beat you by 2 minutes davey...

and I added graphics

Old 08-01-2007, 00:47   #8
daveycrockett

Yeah and your answer was more clearly stated, Oh well,
Old 08-01-2007, 13:19   #9
EAJuggalo

Send a message via AIM to EAJuggalo Send a message via Yahoo to EAJuggalo

for number 11 an Intentional Base on Balls. I fail to see how a passed ball would put a runner on unless it was ball 4 which would be a walk or strike 3 in which case it would be a dropped 3rd strike.

And for number 5 I believe cricket would work as well.
Updated 3-22-13
EAJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 19:36   #10
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Old 08-07-2007, 21:25   #11
vafish

Re: How Smart Are You??

Quote:
Originally posted by Glockrunner

Question #4. At noon and midnight the hour and minute hands are exactly coincident with each other. How many other times between noon and midnight do the hour and minute hands cross?

Question #4. Answer: Ten times (not eleven, as most people seem to think).

I count them being coincident with each other (besides noon and midnight) at 1:05, 2:10, 3:15, 4:20, 5:25, 6:30, 7:35, 8:40, 9:45, 10:50 and 11:55.

That sure seems like 11 to me.

Ooops,

Just tried it on a clock. The little hand doesn't stay on the hour. It is only 10 times.
educate children." -- Confucius

Last edited by vafish; 08-07-2007 at 21:38..
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote

« A blonde.... | Pool »