Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:34   #1
venenoindy

Mag cap??

I would like to give my cousin a couple of mags since he just purchuse his first AR but Im not familiar with OH and specially Cincinnati mag cap restrictions, he actually lives in a suburb of Cincinnati any help will be welcome thanks!
venenoindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:26   #2
Brian Dover

Back in March, Ohio passed statewide preemption of all local gun laws (except for zoning regs and discharge of firearm in city limits, etc.) so any local ordinances relating to magazine capacity are history. (Although Cleveland is being its normal big filthy babyish self and trying to fight this. But I digress).

The only state restriction would be on magazines of over 30-31* round capacity. In short it's legal to buy, sell, or possess them, they become illegal when you put them together with the firearm they're made for.

But it's a rarely enforced, little known statute. Many stores in Ohio sell 40+ round mags for ARs, AKs, etc. on a regular basis, in fact I'm told they're even available at the National Matches going on at Camp Perry. And, going by the word of prosecutors I've known over 25 years of competition, no one has ever been charged with violating just this law, it seems to be used only when "piling on" charges against someone accused of multiple serious crimes.

*The wording of the law in question is so strange, it's hard to figure out what the "magic number" really is. In fact it once used to read "over 36 rounds" as memory serves.

Hope all this helps.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:11   #3
firedog978

Re: Mag cap??

Quote:
Originally posted by venenoindy
I would like to give my cousin a couple of mags since he just purchuse his first AR but Im not familiar with OH and specially Cincinnati mag cap restrictions, he actually lives in a suburb of Cincinnati any help will be welcome thanks!
I'm in a Cincinnati suburb and he's ok with anything under the 31 round magazine. Heck, after that it's tough to conceal the HG anyway. If anyone feels better with more rounds just carry spare magazines.
Old 08-14-2007, 13:20   #4
thorn137
Walther

The current state law says that a mag is illegal if it allows your gun to hold more than 31 rounds WITHOUT reloading.

So. Assume you have a 31-rd mag. You load the gun, and chamber a round. Pull the mag and "top off" back to 31 rounds, and re-insert the mag.

You're still legal, because you reloaded.

However, something like a 33-rnd Glock mag is definately illegal anywhere in Ohio. Possibly not a law that's usually enforced, but i'd rather not be a test case.

BTW, as others stated - Cinci's own local mag cap restrictions are now voided by recent law.

thorn