Lifetime Membership
Inertia Bound

CDC says breastfeeding rate is UP, but not exclusivity

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,291878,00.html

Quote:
CDC: Almost 75 Percent of New Mothers Breastfeeding
Thursday, August 02, 2007
By Marrecca Fiore

More women are breastfeeding, but the percentage of mothers choosing to breastfeed exclusively is still far short of national objectives, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday in its weekly Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

Almost 75 percent of new mothers are now choosing to breast-feed, but far fewer are choosing to nourish their babies exclusively with breast milk. The CDC defines exclusive breastfeeding as an infant receiving only breast milk and no other liquids or solids except for drops or syrups consisting of vitamins, minerals, or medicines.

"The increase in mothers choosing to initiate breastfeeding is good news because it provides health benefits for women and decreases the risk of some early childhood diseases among infants," said Dr. William H. Dietz, director of CDCs Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity, in a news release. "But it is still quite alarming that mothers and infants are not receiving the full health benefits most associated with exclusive breastfeeding."

This type of breastfeeding, officials say, has a stronger protective effect against lower respiratory tract infections, middle ear infection, eczema, and childhood obesity. It also is associated with health benefits for women, including decreased risk for type 2 diabetes, and ovarian and breast cancers, the CDC said in its report.

The findings come from a CDC analysis of data from the National Immunization Survey (NIS) on trends in breastfeeding initiation and duration for infants born from 2000C2004, and from sociodemographic characteristics for infants born during 2004.

About 74 percent (73.8) of women chose to breastfeed though not exclusively in 2004, up from 70.9 percent in 2000. That percentage falls just short of the national objective of 75 percent.

But rates of exclusive breastfeeding for infants through age 3 months in 2004 was 30.5 percent, about half the government's target of 60 percent. The rate of breastfeeding through age six months was just 11.3 percent for the same period, far short of the government's target of 25 percent.

By sociodemographic characteristics, rates of exclusive breastfeeding through age 3 months were lowest among black infants (19.8 percent) and for young mothers (16.8 percent), as well as for mothers with a high school education or less (22.9 percent and 23.9 percent, respectively), are unmarried (18.8 percent), reside in rural areas (23.9 percent), and are poor (23.9 percent).
I am slowly falling apart - I wish you'd take a walk in my shoes for a start. You might think it's easy being me ... Sometimes I find myself shaking - In the middle of the night. And then it hits me and I can't - Even believe this is my life
(The Wreckers; "Stand Still; Look Pretty")
MB-G26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 17:17   #2
Mrs. VR
Administrator

Mel, you know I have pretty strong feelings on this issue. I'd like to see a LOT more education in this country about breastfeeding.

90/9/1

Mrs. VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 23:29   #3
Nephilim
Lifetime Membership
Baby Face Off

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. VR
Mel, you know I have pretty strong feelings on this issue. I'd like to see a LOT more education in this country about breastfeeding.
I do too.

I see the world and tend to think in large patterns... and I see the low rate of breastfeeding in this country the same as I see the low rate of literacy. Breast feeding if free and the best choice for your child... given them thousands of life long benefits. Putting your kid on your lap once a day and reading to them is also free... and is almost a bullet proof guarantee that they will develop solid reading habits. No amount of in school exercises for instance can even begin to equate having a parent that consistently reads to you.

Anyways... my daughter was breast fed until she weaned herself around a year and a half. Then she moved on to eating entire livestock in a single sitting
"I am no one special, just a common man with common thoughts. I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me, and my name will soon be forgotten. But in one respect, I've succeeded as gloriously as anyone who ever lived. I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and for me, that has always been enough." from The Notebook
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:34   #4
c-mama

A lot has to do with the pediatricians. Mine encouraged me to supplement with formula.

I think they they are so afraid of leaving the feeding completely in the mother's hands, so they want moms to supplement with formula.

I think that the education needs to start with the pediatricians. They should be made to work side-by-side with La Leche League.
c-mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 23:47   #5
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Inertia Bound

+1 gazillion
and
+1 gazillion
and
+1 gazillion !!

Kiddo received my milk exclusively to 12-13 months. heheh It drove a lot of people crazy - but not *us*, and that's what mattered

We were a nursing couple for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg time, in fact, for a length of time that I suspect is virtually unheard of in this country/culture

While I could not and would never condemn any mother for either chosing not to nurse or having severe enough difficulties that nursing was not an option, I will take my last breath deeply treasuring our nursing years.

m
Formerly a card-carrying member of LLL and known to other mommies as a "Militantly Nursing Mother"
I am slowly falling apart - I wish you'd take a walk in my shoes for a start. You might think it's easy being me ... Sometimes I find myself shaking - In the middle of the night. And then it hits me and I can't - Even believe this is my life
(The Wreckers; "Stand Still; Look Pretty")
MB-G26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:24   #6
kcb
Southern Lady

I've seen a couple of news segments recently where they have stopped giving formula, and replaced it with encouragement to new mothers to breast feed their babies! Apparently, they will give formula upon request but first advocate breast feeding instead!

Even though I had to go back to work after my babies were born, I chose to breast feed mine, and supplement during the day, for as long as my babies let me do that!

Karen
kcb is offline   Reply With Quote