SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-19-2007, 20:14   #1
Ender
ComfortablyNumb

the proverbial green card.

the chick at the police station has told me a couple of times to "keep and laminate my green card," because if i lose it they'll have to do the 'safety inspection' all over again.

is it true? i thought that after you had the green card, it basically made it easier to prove you owned the gun, but didn't really have to keep it...

"We'll meet again...don't know where, don't know when; but I know we'll meet again, some sunny day."
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 20:38   #2
MakeMineaP99
Got SIG?

4. I lost my Michigan pistol registration (Safety Inspection Certificate). How do I go about getting another one?

MCL 28.429 You should contact your local law enforcement agency, where you currently reside, and request they re-register your pistol. Confirmation of prior registration can be made by that agency with the Michigan State Police, Firearms Records Unit, in Lansing. Another corresponding License to Purchase must be completed, unless you have a valid Concealed Pistol License.

Source:

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...se____Transfer
MakeMineaP99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 14:19   #3
john_glock_mi

I keep my deck of green cards in the safe. I scanned them all into my computer. I shrunk them down and printed them on both sides of 1/2 sheet of paper. I keep that folded up in my wallet.

Last edited by john_glock_mi; 08-20-2007 at 14:23..
Old 08-20-2007, 16:08   #4
gsbell
Consumed

Good idea to have it on file to prove you've obeyed the law. It is not required to be on your person. If I lost one I'd probably redo it just in case. Otherwise I'd be the sorry SOB unable to prove that I've complied with the law.

The cadets doing it my local PD have said that I should laminate and keep it with the pistol at all times. Every time I challenge them and suggest that they not give out incorrect legal info. Dorks!
Old 08-20-2007, 20:30   #5
Letner

I would think they could just do a search on your serial number and provide a new card. I registered a gun and was given someone elses card and noticed it several hours later then I went back and they said they hit the wrong button and simply gave me the correct card.

I have asked several diff Leo if I needed to keep my green card with my ccw and some say yes some say no and others say they don't know

So just to keep out of trouble I keep my green cards (inspection card) with my blue card (CCW) and then I have it if someone needs to see it
Letner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 21:27   #6
COBRA90GT

If you have with you, great, if not, no big deal (unless LEIN was down, but even then that's a moot point because of the CCW permit).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
COBRA90GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 14:23   #7
MR. TWISTER

I lost one of my green cards once, I went to local police shop where they looked up my name and asked me which one I was missing. They then printed me a new card, no cost & no fuss!
Brandon
1911 Club #89
MR. TWISTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:17   #8
mac66
Plant the seed

There is no legal requirment to have a green card in your possesion and there is no legal requirement to get another if you lose one. The need to keep the card is obsolete considering computer data bases.

There is a change in the law pending to eliminate the green card altogher. There really is no point to it.

I have pistols I bought 20-30 years ago and it would take me quite a while to find the green cards if I could find them at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by mac66; 08-22-2007 at 09:20..
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote