Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:21   #1
aerod1
NRA Life Member

Garland Public Shooting Range in danger (UPDATE)

The Garland City Councilman of district #1 has ask the
council to review the appropriate use of the property now owned and
operated by Garland Public Shooting Range. He thinks the land use may
be "too intense for the area".
This range has been open since 1969, which is before it was
annexed by the city of Garland. At that time the city "grandfathered" the range as a "legal, non conforming, land use". Now, all of a sudden, a council person wants to close it.
The Councilman sights, lead contamination, safety, and noise as being factors which may be too intense for the area. When this range was built, it was considered to be out in the country (rural). Now people have built homes around it and some want it closed....much like building close to an airport and complaining about airplanes flying overhead. It is hard for me to sympathize with those people.
He wanted to put it before the Board of Adjustment which could
instantly close it down.
This sounds like an anti gun agenda to me.
At the council work session Monday evening 4 of the council
members talked against putting it before the Board of Adjustment and
in favor of letting the gun range continue. The mayor, then using his
power, put it before a council committee for "review". This is surely
going to come up again in the very near future and my councilman
will let me know the date.
There is no lead contamination at the sight and they run a
very tight ship when it comes to safety. As for the noise, I know
someone who lived the first street up from the range and said there was NO noise issues.
This is just an attempt to close the range. It wouldn't
surprise me if there was a developer involved, seeing as the Hwy. 190
corridor is coming through that area. There are certainly more pieces to this puzzle than lead, safety and noise.
I shoot there a lot and don't want to see the range closed!
I'll try to keep everyone updated. I have already contacted
TSRA.
If you live in Garland, TX please contact your city council person and express your thoughts. Please remember politeness and decorum are always appropriate. If you don't know your council person, I can let you know who they are and how to get in touch with them by phone or email.
We are running out of good places to shoot and ranges are closing down all over Texas.
Thanks, for any help you can give.(Update) (Update)
Recreational Reloader
Veteran, U.S. Navy (U.S.S. Midway)

Last edited by aerod1; 09-26-2007 at 11:23..
aerod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:59   #2
bno762

That sucks. I live down Rowlett rd. from there. Even though I havent shot at that range yet I dont want it closed just because people are stupid enough to build by a range and then complain about the noise. Maybe only people like me that enjoy the sound of gun fire in the back ground need to live out here. Now its not loud and you won't even notice unless you try to hear it.
Old 08-12-2007, 19:09   #3
Keoking

aerod1,

I shoot at GPSR every weekend and have probably seen you a dozen times. I live near the range but unfortunately live in Rowlett, so I have no juice with the city council.

I spent 30 minutes talking to the folks at the range today about all of this. They are saying that the situation is a 50/50 right now. 50% chance that nothing will happen, and a 50% chance that the shotgun range or the entire range will be closed permanently.

They also said that Sachse is very interested in annexing the range if they could convince Garland to let them go. They said that the range is nearly a $2 million dollar a year business, and generates something like $400,000 a year in business taxes. Those numbers are a lot higher than I would have expected, but what do I know. I do know that even with temps at 100F, you better get there early on the weekend to guarantee you get the bench you want.

They also said that the owner hasn't raised the range price in 12 years because he wants the range to be readily available to everyone for training and education.

What a screwed up situation, huh?
Springfield Loaded (Black SS)
Sig P220 Stainless Elite
Keoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 19:15   #4
sdsnet
CLM Number 43
NRA Member

Hopefully enough people will call their councilmen about it and prevent closure. One thing you mentioned concerns me though.

"We are running out of good places to shoot and ranges are closing down all over Texas"

Where else in Texas are gun ranges closing ?
Ham Shack Club # 1995
Walther Club # 1995

-My username has nothing to do with Students for Democratic Society-
sdsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:26   #5
aerod1
NRA Life Member

To name two recent closings just in the Dallas area, Collin County Gun Range in McKinney and Backwoods in Prosper (just east of Denton). Gibson's Outpost in Mesquite is having encroachment pressure also. I hear the same thing is happening in other areas of Texas as well.
A previous Garland City Council prevented DFW Gun Club from opening a very nice facility on I-30. The Council at the time stated they did not want tattoo parlors, beer stores and gun stores in south Garland. Well guess what, they now have tattoo parlors and beer stores. The only thing they don't have is a nice indoor, family oriented, shooting facility like DFW Gun Club was going to build, in south Garland.
If they close down Garland Public Shooting Range and Gibson's Outpost, we will have a condsiderable drive in order to shoot at an outdoor range!
You do not have to live in Garland in order to express your opinions to a Garland City Councilman. They don't have a clue where your email originates and would not take the time to find out. Garland is still in America and you still have a voice. You can get their email addresses off the City of Garland webpage.
Thanks for your interest and concern.
Recreational Reloader

Last edited by aerod1; 08-13-2007 at 08:32..
Old 08-13-2007, 19:25   #6
bno762

I'm thinking I gonna go up there this sunday morning. The wife and kids are going out of town so I'll be shootin. If any of yall decide to go up there this weekend give me a yell. bno762@aol.com
Old 08-28-2007, 17:03   #7
RaisinKane

Is TagetMaster still open ? I used to live in Garland in 96 - 97 and would go over there and shoot sometimes.
RaisinKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:48   #8
bno762

yes its still open.Target Master is where I have been shooting at most of the time lately.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:41   #9
aerod1
NRA Life Member

We won on all three issues, which were noise, public safety and lead contamination!! The comittee meeting was at 3:30 yesterday. There was several of us at the meeting and they had to move the meeting to a larger conference room because we had to many concerned gun owners at the meeting.
The committee voted to recommend the city NOT pursue any action against Garland Public Shooting Range!!
It's amazing what can happen when ordinary citizens get involved!!
Recreational Reloader
Old 09-26-2007, 12:28   #10
Walter45Auto

Send a message via Yahoo to Walter45Auto
That's GREAT!!!!