SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:42   #1
xring04
On the Right.

yella sv650 no more! Hello Honda

Well After six months and six thousand miles I gave up my sv650. I had no plans on getting a new bike. Last weekend I took suzie on a 300 mile trip from Sevierville to the Dragon, across the skyway and back home.

I loved suzie, she was my first love and always treated me well. I planned on being with her forever.

All that changed on tuesday 8-7-06. My father in law found a deal on a 2002 vlx 600 for my mother in law to learn to ride on. Being the good son in law I am, I agreed to bring the little 600 home.

As I was waiting for them to get the title, I walked around the showroom. In a corner tucked away sat a cute little new 06 honda 919. Neglected, unloved and desperately needing a good home, I looked at the poor creature and my heart went out to it.

The salesman said, "boy we can make a deal on that". Then I remembered my little 04 sv.

Well I ended up getting the 919 for $5800 and they gave me $3600 for my sv. So I think I did pretty good.

I love this bike, smooth, much better suspension and more power! Took it to the dragon this weekend with the wife on the back and we had a ball.

Sorry for the really crappy picture. I am out in the sticks right now and I won't have high speed internet for another month or so. but as we all know nothing exists without pics so here it is.

Moto Club
A dog had his chain reduced one link at a time, every few days, until his chain was so short he could barely move. He never resisted because he was conditioned to the loss of his freedom slowly, over time.
xring04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 15:39   #2
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Sweet. There is a 919 at the dealer I go to that they told me they could make a deal on too (it is new though). I thought about it, but I can't get visions of an FZ1 out of my head. It did feel pretty comfy though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 19:01   #3
NotAMonte86

Welcome to the club!

I like sv650's but I have no clue why people pay for them when the 919 is basically the same thing but better all around and they are found at the same price. Congrats on the new ride.

Moto Club
NotAMonte86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 20:13   #4
Lone Wolff
Tire World...

I'll toss mine in for good measure!

Moto Club

I need to get a better pic. Not too exciting just sitting in the garage.
Lone Wolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 21:31   #5
Bevo1

Quote:
Originally posted by NotAMonte86
I like sv650's but I have no clue why people pay for them when the 919 is basically the same thing
Same thing?
Being a SV1000S owner, I have to say that the only comparison of the SV 650/1000 to the Honda 599/919 is that neither sell well on this side of the pond and they are both motorcycles.
Other than that they are completely different.
The biggest difference obviously is the V-Twin of the SV.
Both the Suzuki and Honda are great bikes and the fact that they don't sell well makes it easier when purchasing (up until this summer you could still find 2003 and 2004 SV's and 2004 599/919's at great prices), but harder when trying to re-sale.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:21   #6
DaisyCutter

The 919 is one of my favs, along with the ZRX1200 and the FZ1.
DaisyCutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:33   #7
ranger88
CLM Number 130
Charter Lifetime Member

I'd say that the OP got a pretty good deal. He's only out $2,200 and came out ahead on two up comfort.

Way to go!

Old 08-13-2007, 16:06   #8
Carlitos

I think those are great looking motorcycles!

-Mahatma Gandhi

Call the anti-gun, "Violence Policy Center" shill group, "American Hunters & Shooters Assoc." and tell them to go to heck! (202) 315-3370
Carlitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 00:25   #9
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

XWing,

I think that you'll regret getting rid of the Zuke. The 919 is a good bike and it has some serious oomph, but I'd rather take the SV650 with its distinct personality and maneuverability over the 919 any days.

What you should have done was to keep Ole Yeller and got the Honda too. Put the wife to work on overtime.
Old 08-14-2007, 00:37   #10
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Quote:
Originally posted by fnfalman
XWing,

I think that you'll regret getting rid of the Zuke. The 919 is a good bike and it has some serious oomph, but I'd rather take the SV650 with its distinct personality and maneuverability over the 919 any days.

What you should have done was to keep Ole Yeller and got the Honda too. Put the wife to work on overtime.
Admit it. The Honda has too many cylinders for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 20:46   #11
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally posted by epsylum
Admit it. The Honda has too many cylinders for you.
'Tis true. I prefer two big jugs over four little ones.
Old 08-16-2007, 17:12   #12
Infallible

Quote:
Originally posted by NotAMonte86
Welcome to the club!

I like sv650's but I have no clue why people pay for them when the 919 is basically the same thing but better all around and they are found at the same price. Congrats on the new ride.
Uh what? Show me where I could pick up a brand new 919 for %5000. As for being better all around, I think thats subjective, the SV handles much much better.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:40   #13
NotAMonte86

Sorry, I guess I should have added that I prefer the 919 all-around vs. an sv650. They do run the same prices used, and I couldn't find an sv650 without a scratched up fairing or dented tank (I was wanting one before looking into 919's). In this area, they had all been victimized by squids.
NotAMonte86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:37   #14
xring04
On the Right.

Well still lovin the 919. I 've put 3000 miles on er in less than two months.

Added a corbin seat and a fly screen.

As for the sv handling better?

I dont know, I went with my buddy up to deals gap, and the 9er felt much more composed and just as flickable with my heafty @$$ on it, than his sv.

I love the smooth, almost electric like motor of the 919, but I still kinda miss the bumping and grunting v-twin. All that goes away when I open the throttle and the 919 does her song.

919>sv650
A dog had his chain reduced one link at a time, every few days, until his chain was so short he could barely move. He never resisted because he was conditioned to the loss of his freedom slowly, over time.
xring04 is offline   Reply With Quote