Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-14-2007, 19:47   #1
lwt210

Anyone affiliated with Blue Gray Rifle and Pistol club North Bama?

Anyone?

Complaints? comments....thinking of joining and would sure like to hear about experiences....good or bad.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-15-2007, 21:43   #2
FM12
I need AMMO!

I was, about 25 years ago when I lived in Albertville. Shot there this past July with a buddy of mine from Grant who is a current member. A really good place to shoot, they have the occasional match or two. If I lived close by I'd re-join.

i read your profile, where are you a police officer? I policed in both Albertville and Guntersville.

Last edited by FM12; 08-15-2007 at 21:46..
FM12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:40   #3
lwt210

Quote:
Originally posted by FM12
I was, about 25 years ago when I lived in Albertville. Shot there this past July with a buddy of mine from Grant who is a current member. A really good place to shoot, they have the occasional match or two. If I lived close by I'd re-join.

i read your profile, where are you a police officer? I policed in both Albertville and Guntersville.
Huntsvegas (Huntsville).......the land of the engineers.

Actually, I need to change my profile job description to "human behavior engineer" to fit in.

I did time at Montgomery PD also. I was parolled from MPD in 1998. Been here ever since.

Reckon I ever met you at Keller shell dropping you one off?

Thanks for the info on the range. Looking for someplace nice and quiet to teach my eight year old marksmanship and finally drag some of my centerfire rifles out for playtime.
Old 08-16-2007, 15:35   #4
FM12
I need AMMO!

I think you'd be really pleased with the B&G...go on days when you'll probably be the only one there!

Did you ever work with Billy Ware at HPD, or gary Cartee at either HPD or MPD? How about Gene Wiggins at MPD? These are some guys I know that worked those jurisdictions.

I have a brother in an assisted living facility on Baily Cove road over in Hville... I used to work at Larrys Pistol & Pawn on my off days from Albertville PD. Larry knows me as "Captain Ken".

My buddy @ Grant that belongs to the B&G is a retired State Fire Marshal, I'm still employed by them.

The last time I shbot there was 1980 or so in a pistol action match with Paul Yox from Madison SO, might call him and see whats up. I know the club expects you to work so many hours yearly to assis t in keeping up the range.

When you join you get access to the range and there is a building on the grounds where targets, frames, etc are kept. There are also concrete shooting benches and a covered pistol firing area. I believe youd be pleased there.

Good to talk to you, Ken
Old 08-16-2007, 19:32   #5
lwt210

Ware? Yox?

Oh yeah, I know all those names. I knew a guy named Higgins at MPD.

And I been shopping at Larry's for years. I am sure that you probably sold me a thing or two there.

There used to be this grey bearded guy that worked Saturdays a bunch and was retired PD. If that was you I appreciate the math on purchases.

Yeah, I am going to go ahead and join. Probably get my check in the mail tomorrow. I have to update my NRA membership too.

I live pretty close to Hobbs Island road so I can run that road over to 431 and then on south to the range. I figure it is 18 or 20 miles total. I'll take enough .22 lr to make it worth the trip.

My son is looking forward to it as well. And like you say, we will probably be there bright and early on Sunday mornings or late Sunday afternoons (got church at 1100) and on Mondays during the summers.

We did all sorts of fishing this summer down at the river. This will give us more to do.

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-16-2007, 19:37   #6
Brass Nazi
NO BRASS FOR U!

Where is this facility located?
How much is a membership?
I am getting tired of driving all the way out to Swan Creek.
Brass Nazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 19:42   #7
FM12
I need AMMO!

Billy Ware was my shift seargent when I was the Captain at Albertville PD. He went with HPD and I to the fire Marshal's Office in late 1986. he was one of the best officers I ever worked wiith, a really intuitive investigative type. I dont know Yox other than that one time I shot beside him at B&G.

Charlie Mickel and Jim ? went from Albertville PD to the Drug unit in Madison County about 1987 or 88 if i remember correctly. REALLY good j]guys.

That wasnt me with the beard, probably Jim Harmon @ Larry's. He knew more about guns than any man I ever knew. I didnt do realy well working theree, I always spent my paycheck with them!!

Good for you for going to the range in addition to church, the Lord comes first on Sunday.

Also, there is a Rocket City USPSA pistol club over there if I'm not mistaken, also a club out of Arab. Check on them.

Stay in touch. I'm pleased you're bring up your son in church and the range. Stay in touch, Ken (FM12)
Old 08-16-2007, 19:46   #8
FM12
I need AMMO!

Brass Nazi: Located on US 431, south of the Madison/Marshall county line, take the turn off to Guntersville/TVA Dam site. First road (I think) to the left, on the left. Closed by a locked gate with a combination lock. When you join yuou get the combiunation so you can come and go at your lesiure, unless there are matches slated for that day. Really good people when I was there in the 1980s. No reason to think any different now! FM12
Old 08-16-2007, 19:56   #9
Brass Nazi
NO BRASS FOR U!

I just found their website: http://www.bgrpc.org/

I may look into joining. I live very close to the facility. Unfortunately I live on the other side of the river. It would still beat going to Swan Creek.

Another place that I like to go to is Dan Cooper's place past Boaz. The only bad thing is that it is a long drive.
Old 08-16-2007, 21:22   #10
lwt210

Quote:
Originally posted by Brass Nazi
Where is this facility located?
How much is a membership?
I am getting tired of driving all the way out to Swan Creek.
http://www.bgrpc.org/

Facility is located at the TVA off of 431 South south of Owens Cross roads. If you go to the link, there is a mapquest map.

Membership is 50.00 per year with five hours of time required in range maintenance or other range activities. You must also be a member of the NRA.

There is a link to download an application. The rules and schedule of shooting events are also posted.

It seems like it will be much more conducive to safe shooting than Swan Creek. I have heard horror stories about that place.
Old 08-16-2007, 21:25   #11
Brass Nazi
NO BRASS FOR U!

Quote:
Originally posted by lwt210
[url]
It seems like it will be much more conducive to safe shooting than Swan Creek. I have heard horror stories about that place.
There are many people at Swan Creek that are safe but I have been around some people there that make me want get up and leave immeadiatly.
Old 08-16-2007, 21:26   #12
lwt210

Quote:
Originally posted by FM12

Stay in touch. I'm pleased you're bring up your son in church and the range. Stay in touch, Ken (FM12)
Yeah, he is doing really well. Loves school, loves to go to church, tithes some of his allowance, is in his second year of guitar lessons.......

Loves to read, is kind to others, loves to tussle with his dad....

Wish I had a dozen more just like him. I am getting him a Marlin 915Y Little Buckaroo .22 bolt rifle for his birthday and he is looking forward to shooting at the Blue Gray.
Old 08-16-2007, 21:28   #13
lwt210

Quote:
There are many people at Swan Creek that are safe but I have been around some people there that make me want get up and leave immeadiatly.
Yeah, that is what I have heard.

And I live on the south end of town so Blue Gray is probably closer for me than Swan Creek.

And they seem like they have a really good thing going. That website is pretty informative.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:27   #14
FM12
I need AMMO!

BrassNazi: My in-laws live in Albertville. When we visit them I try to go to Capt. Dans range. I've been shooting there since the 1980s when all he had was a 50 yard range down in the gulley right before you get to the current range. Ask him about it!
Old 08-20-2007, 14:06   #15
Roro

Send a message via AIM to Roro

Quote:
When do you go to swan creek? Usually when I go there are 2 maybe 3 other people there. Spread it out over the four ranges and it's not bad at all.

The only horror stories I have from Swan would be the idiots I avoid upon setting up. Now, at Larry's I've been down right scared inside the range.
Old 08-20-2007, 15:06   #16
Brass Nazi
NO BRASS FOR U!

I was shooting a rifle at the covered rifle range once. I heard a guy start cussing two other guys that were shooting clays near the adjacent corn field.

"you shot my truck you ****** ******."

Evidently one of the two guys shot their shotgun in an unsafe direction and peppered the mans truck.

Not wanting to witness a homicide I promptly picked up my stuff and went home.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:57   #17
W Turner

You have to have your guard up at Swan Creek. I've been given the stink eye a few times by people at the 25 yd pistol range until they figured out I was squared away.

I much prefer my private club over in the Shoals, but it's a longer drive.

Bull
Kalashnikov Klub #0511
W Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 14:45   #18
lwt210

Quote:
Originally posted by Roro
When do you go to swan creek? Usually when I go there are 2 maybe 3 other people there. Spread it out over the four ranges and it's not bad at all.

The only horror stories I have from Swan would be the idiots I avoid upon setting up. Now, at Larry's I've been down right scared inside the range.
Them other three at Swan Creek are probably hating on you. "Here comes that Steak out queen who can't hit anything. Let's pack up and go to Larry's"

When you going to sign up with the city so you can be my rookie and I can abuse you?