Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-15-2007, 17:09   #1
97guns

ever pan sear then finish in the oven?

with most all the cooking shows ive seen they ALWAYS pan sear the protein and then finish it off in the oven. it doesnt matter if its beef, pork, chicken, fish, lamb or anything - they always use this method. ive never tried it myself, ive always either baked it all the way or pan fried it all the way. just wondering if the pan then oven method really makes a difference and what would i notice/gain from it. i am a miser at heart and it just doesnt make sense to use the stove and then fire up the oven to finish off a meal, but i am a food conosuer so i would indeed do it if gains were large.
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 18:02   #2
lethal tupperwa

last night

I marinated the steak for a day (in the fridge) in a mixture of

Olive Oil, Soy Sauce and fresh Lemon Juice. (in a zip-lock bag with

the air squeezed out it does not take all that much liquid and makes

it easy to flip over-several times while marinating.)

I cooked a 2 inch thick T-bone (birthday)I seared it (on both sides)

in a large stainless steel frying pan. (Cast Iron would also work

well)

Then popped it into a 450 degree oven for 30 minutes. (still in the

oven proof frying pan)

The results were Very good.

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER

Last edited by lethal tupperwa; 08-15-2007 at 18:08..
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 21:44   #3
Fanman55
Mad Meat Cutter

Send a message via AIM to Fanman55
great way to cook a thick steak if you dont wanna fire up the grill.
Fanman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 22:23   #4
hotlunch

It's an old restaurant trick. You see it on all these shows because most of the people on the shows have a background in a professional kitchen.

The reason for it is mostly because a restaurant kitchen has the ovens on as well as the "burners" (the gas range) and the broiler all night long. Not only does this method of tossing the pan into the oven help keep the meat/seafood/poultry from getting over-cooked on the outside it also frees up burner space on the range for other orders.

It's not really necessary for most dishes I will admit although I do it for a few things as I am kind of used to it from my youth spent in many a hot restaurant kitchen (sea scallops seared then tossed into my lil' toaster oven to finish at a "calm" pace--usually keeps them tender and moist). Chances are though that you won't find any appreciable taste difference in your protein with this method so don't feel like you are missing something.
hotlunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:36   #5
SouthernGal
What's Up Dox?

I made a chicken cordon bleu last month for the SO where the chicken was fried for 3-4 minutes on each side, then finished off in the oven.

I'd have thought it was going to turn out tough, but it didn't. It actually was pretty good.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:06   #6
K.C. Dia

I do it all the time in the winter when I am not grilling. It especially works for thick filets, because you can sear it on the outside and then put it in the oven to finish without over cooking. For filets, I like a very hot oven, about 425 for 5 to 7 minutes. For other items, like chicken breasts, fish, etc., I use a 375 oven.
K.C. Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:18   #7
Minuteman
Jeff Gannon???

It's great for things that need slow cooking to keep them from getting tough. Like duck, beef or venison.

You get a nice brown on the outside, but slow(er) cook the inside.

"The Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions...A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS, shall not be infringed" - Constitution for the U.S.A.
Minuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 23:28   #8
Remander

Filet mignon does very well that way.

I start it in a red-hot cast iron skillet, burner turned to full-high, with a little Kosher salt in the skillet and some cracked pepper on the steak. (This generates lots of smoke, so be ready to remove batteries from smoke alarm.)

After about 2 or 3 minutes per side, to get a good crust, I transfer the steaks to a foil-lined cake pan and slap it in a 450 pre-heated oven (with a pat of butter on top of each steak) until almost done to liking.

Take steaks out and let them rest under foil for 5 minutes.

Restaurant quality steak is the result.

The only trick is to not overcook it.
Remander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:27   #9
Michael Dean

Also the browning of the meat while searing does add a much different flavor profile to the meat, over just roasting in the oven.

If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat!
Michael Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 14:24   #10
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
Brown meat on both sides then bake. It seals in the juices and makes for a great flavor with all that caramelization!

Use a non-stick pan, cast iron, then de-glaze it with a simple Mirepoix.

Mirepoix

Quote:
Basic Mirepoix Recipe

1 c. diced white onion

1/2 c. diced carrot

1/2 c. diced celery

When dicing the separate ingredients, try to make the dices as small and uniform as possible, both because it is aesthetically more pleasing and because the small pieces will cook more uniformly.

So what's the deal? If it's that simple, why is it so important? Well, these three basic ingredients, in this perfect ratio, provide a deep, earthy flavor that gives so many French dishes the recognizable flavor that sets them apart from, say, Italian or Spanish cooking.

* Try stewing a chicken in a slow cooker or Crock Pot with just mirepoix and a sprinkle of Herbes de Provence.

* Use mirepoix to deglaze a pan after cooking pork chops. Pour the mixture over the top of the chops and serve.

* Roast veal bones and mirepoix in an oven until browned, then put the mixture into a stock pot, cover with water, and simmer (not boil!) for an hour. This makes indispensable stock that can be used in many, many dishes.

Last edited by Blitzer; 09-09-2007 at 14:36..
Blitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:58   #11
Glockerel
Got Mojo?

I am a chef and we do it all the time. Works especially well for thick cuts of fish.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:01   #12
K.C. Dia

Quote:
Originally posted by Remander
Filet mignon does very well that way.

I start it in a red-hot cast iron skillet, burner turned to full-high, with a little Kosher salt in the skillet and some cracked pepper on the steak. (This generates lots of smoke, so be ready to remove batteries from smoke alarm.)

After about 2 or 3 minutes per side, to get a good crust, I transfer the steaks to a foil-lined cake pan and slap it in a 450 pre-heated oven (with a pat of butter on top of each steak) until almost done to liking.

Take steaks out and let them rest under foil for 5 minutes.

Restaurant quality steak is the result.

The only trick is to not overcook it.
I'm going to try this tonight, i.e., the part about transferring to a foil lined pan. I usually just put the searing pan in the oven but I noticed that the latest issue of Cooks Illustrated suggests this method because it allows you to make a sauce while the filets are in the oven.
K.C. Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:46   #13
Remander

Quote:
the part about transferring to a foil lined pan. I usually just put the searing pan in the oven
I used to put the skillet in the oven, but the cast iron skillet is so hot (and retains heat so well) that with thicker cuts like a filet the steak is burned on the bottom before the inside is done.

This method lets you get the char/crust where you want it and then stop, letting the inside get done in the oven.

Enjoy!
Remander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:37   #14
PMY

This is the only way I cook a steak anymore. Get the Palm Restaurant cookbook, which has the perfect NY Strip recipe. It'll change your life!
PMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:22   #15
rhikdavis
U.S. Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to rhikdavis Send a message via Skype™ to rhikdavis
Quote:
Originally posted by PMY
This is the only way I cook a steak anymore. Get the Palm Restaurant cookbook, which has the perfect NY Strip recipe. It'll change your life!
Got a link?

Note to self: Stop coming to food forum when starving.
Old 10-16-2007, 16:04   #16
PMY

Sorry took me so long. Haven't had a chance to stop by in a while. Hope you haven't been starving in the meantime!

http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Restauran...2571286&sr=8-1

Also, give the creamed spinach a try. Its amazing!
PMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 13:05   #17
Singlemalt
In the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMY View Post
A HUGE +1 on that.
Old 10-26-2007, 23:32   #18
Cousin
Gambel's Quail

I use this method on thick cuts of meat, especially pork chops. The chops are seared first to seal in the juices and then baked to completion. Nice and moist throughout.