Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-19-2007, 22:18   #1
isuzu

Non-Restricted Firearms License

Completed my Non-Restricted Firearms License after two five-hour sessions last week. Our instructor and my practical examiner was an ex-Calgary policeman who is an avid hunter. He told me not to take the Restricted course and to just challenge it anytime I wish. I'd like to share some of my experiences when I took the course. This was very different compared to the "gun safety seminar" we took back home. The course was very ridgid, and if you didn't pass, you had to re-take the course. This is what we have to go through just to get a Possession and Acquisition License in Canada (PAL).

It was the first time I handled O/U and Semi-Auto Shotguns as well as Winchester Lever Actions. We are used to handling military-style long arms and pistols back home, but I really developed an interest in bolt and lever actions rifles during the course of the class.

Hornady has developed a relatively new polymer-pointed ammo (LeverRevolution) for the .30-.30 that doesn't drastically drop at 200 meters. Before Hornady introduced this ammo, .30-.30 ammo were either round or flat nosed to prevent possible ammo discharge with pointed bullets in a tubular magazine. This affected velocity and some ammo could drop by as much as 9 inches at 200 yards. Bullet drop for the LeveRevolution is only 0.2 inches. I'm now looking at the Marlin 336A with scope to hunt Whitetail deer. Second choice is a Mossberg ATR 100 in either .308 or 30-06.

One thing that he emphasized during the lectures is the .22lr. He told us never to underestimate the power of this ammo. He said that we can go shooting gophers at a farm of his friend during the spring and summer next year.

Taking the course was worth its time. I got to learn other types of firearms and ammunition that we never get a chance to own back in the Philippines.

Samozaryadniy Karabin sistemi Simonova

Last edited by isuzu; 08-19-2007 at 22:27..
isuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 23:38   #2
mikol

good for you bro isuzu, it's hard to find effective FA seminars dito sa pinas.kalimitan ang sinasabi ng lecturer e yung alam mo na rin(walang bago)
did he elaborate about the .22lr?
pros & cons, effectivity range through what barrel length?
type/brands of .22lr ammos that are most effective in any corresponding ranges? etc.etc..??
mikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 19:47   #3
isuzu

Yes, he did elaborate on the .22 LR because according to him, people take for granted this caliber, and you know what happens after that. We were also shown the effect of 40 ft lbs on an object (as compared to 90 ft lbs a typical 22 LR delivers). Quite scary.

As to the effectivity of the 22 LR, he told us that you have to experiment with your firearm to get the best accuracy and best velocity for your gun. He told us that it took him quite a while (and a lot of money) to find the best combination for his Tikka hunting rifle.

The classroom instruction was very thorough and rigid (unlike the gun safety seminars we took back home), and sadly, there were those who didn't make the written exams. After you pass the exams, they send a copy of the test results to Firearms Canada in Miramichi, ON. The successful examinee then passes a copy of the test results with the P.A.L. application which includes a guarantor on your picture plus two references which you have known for at least three years. And Firearms Canada really calls your references. They also do a criminal record check. What's good though, is you don't have a one-inch thick pile of documents that we usually fill up back home when we apply for a license. What was needed for our license application was the application itself, our test results, and a valid government ID (driver's license in my case).

When you purchase a firearm, you just bring your P.A.L. to the gunstore and the gunstore will call Miramichi and verify your identity. You can have your non-restricted firearm with you in about an hour's time. Restricted firearms need an Authority To Transport (ATT).

The P.A.L. is good for 5 years.

Old 08-21-2007, 00:32   #4
Django

What's in their list of Restricted Firearms?
Django is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:59   #5
PMMA97
MNSAmessdetail

Are civilians allowed to carry? Any restrictions?
PMMA97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:41   #6
isuzu

Quote:
Originally posted by Django
What's in their list of Restricted Firearms?
Canada Firearms Center website has a list of Restricted and Non-Restricted Firearms.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:43   #7
isuzu

Quote:
Originally posted by PMMA97
Are civilians allowed to carry? Any restrictions?
Civilians are not allowed to carry here.

Last edited by isuzu; 08-21-2007 at 06:46..
Old 08-21-2007, 12:39   #8
Mang Danny

I browsed the Canada Firearms Center website and wow, the firearms laws are really restrictive! Compared to you guys, we in California fare better.
Mang Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 15:45   #9
vega

Quote:
Originally posted by isuzu

Hornady has developed a relatively new polymer-pointed ammo (LeverRevolution) for the .30-.30 that doesn't drastically drop at 200 meters. Before Hornady introduced this ammo, .30-.30 ammo were either round or flat nosed to prevent possible ammo discharge with pointed bullets in a tubular magazine. This affected velocity and some ammo could drop by as much as 9 inches at 200 yards. Bullet drop for the LeveRevolution is only 0.2 inches. I'm now looking at the Marlin 336A with scope to hunt Whitetail deer. Second choice is a Mossberg ATR 100 in either .308 or 30-06.
Don't underestimate the Mossberg ATRs, with the right ammo and load you can make clover leaf shots.

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=684742

Here's a teaser for you on lever guns.
Winchester 94 pre 64 in 30-30, the real deal
and Marlin 1894 357/38.

Band of Glockers
BOG #005
vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 18:23   #10
isuzu

Vega,

The Mossberg ATR 100s are really value for money. The 4X4s are kinda radical in design, and I prefer the ATRs. Do you have a good ammo combo for the ATR?

There are still lever action Winchesters for sale here in Canada. Browsed through the website of Winchester and they don't make them anymore. Which is a more reliable mechanism, the Winchester's or the Marlin's?

Mang Danny,

It's true, firearms laws are very restrictive here, considering Canada is part of the Commonwealth. I could only envy my brothers living in Tennessee. Their state is one of the most gun-friendly states in the US.

Old 08-21-2007, 19:36   #11
vega

Quote:
Originally posted by isuzu
Vega,

The Mossberg ATR 100s are really value for money. The 4X4s are kinda radical in design, and I prefer the ATRs. Do you have a good ammo combo for the ATR?

There are still lever action Winchesters for sale here in Canada. Browsed through the website of Winchester and they don't make them anymore. Which is a more reliable mechanism, the Winchester's or the Marlin's?
I reload my own ammo for the ATR (30-06):
Bullet - Remington core-lokt 30 cal 150 gn soft point.
Primer - Winchester large rifle
Powder - IMR 4064 49.1 gn
I will increase it to 49.6 on my next batch.

I haven't shoot the Winchester that much to report reliability, I'm missing a screw for the rear band and I just tried it thrice just to see how it shoots. For the short time I shot it the forend moves forward everytime. The Marlin 357 gave me problem on feeding, I search some forums and it seems this is the problem for a new lever action in that caliber (for Marlin only). The chamber mouth is too sharp and it seems that it cuts through the casing which hampers feeding. The Marlin is smoother though.

If you can find pre64 Winchester 94 I suggest that you grab it fast.
BOG #005
vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 21:56   #12
isuzu

Vega,

I'll keep your reloading data in mind. BTW, what brass are you using for your loads? I've talked to several people who are just waiting for the hunting season to open, and a lot of them prefer Remington ammo. They say they're accurate and the Core-Lokt is an effective bullet. I'm pretty sure reloading is much cheaper compared to factory loads which run an average of CDN$32.00/20 round box here in Canada.

With regards to the lever actions, there are still some Winchesters being sold by Russell Sports (www.russellsports.com); probably the last batches before they stopped production of their lever actions. Wholesale Sports (www.wholesalesports.com) sells Marlin lever actions as well as ATRs.

There might be one more gunshow before the hunting season opens, and I'll see if there are still pre-'64 Winchesters. The last gunshow I've been to had a complete display of Winchester lever actions and a lot of M1 Garands also which were selling for about CDN$800.00.

Old 08-21-2007, 22:37   #13
Django

Quote:
Originally posted by Mang Danny
I browsed the Canada Firearms Center website and wow, the firearms laws are really restrictive! Compared to you guys, we in California fare better.
I did too.

All handguns are either restricted or prohibited.

Hmmm. . . .
Django is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:20   #14
jerrytrini

I still have my Marlin 336 CS which I used to harvest three Texas whitetails many many years ago. I bought this in a pawnshop for $175.00. No scope, no fancy bells and whistle just the good old stock model and a lot of luck.

You cannot go wrong with the Marlin 336.
jerrytrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 21:38   #15
isuzu

Quote:
Originally posted by jerrytrini
I still have my Marlin 336 CS which I used to harvest three Texas whitetails many many years ago. I bought this in a pawnshop for $175.00. No scope, no fancy bells and whistle just the good old stock model and a lot of luck.

You cannot go wrong with the Marlin 336.
Thanks for the info, JT. I'll be taking a serious look at the 336A or the 336W. If I ever get a 30-30 lever action, I most probably would load it with the Hornady 30-30 LeverRevolution. The ballistics on this ammo is awesome.