Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-21-2007, 13:19   #1
r2d4

question on NC carry laws.

I hope you all can clear up something for me about cc in nc. I am a non-drinker but, can I carry in a place such as TGIF? I just got my permit here and want to abide by the law. I have read them I am still not as clear as i would like to be.
r2d4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 14:32   #2
MrsKitty

Anywhere that serves alcohol is off limits.
Old 08-21-2007, 18:44   #3
concealedcarry

SERVES AND SELLS

Actually, in NC it is off limits to carry ANY firearm into any establishment that serves and sell alcohol including non-licensed premises such as bootleggers. This is per Reece Trimmer's video presented in the NC Concealed Handgun Carry Classes. (Trimmer is pretty much the authority in NC)
concealedcarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 21:11   #4
Glocks&Ducs

Re: SERVES AND SELLS

Quote:
Originally posted by concealedcarry
Actually, in NC it is off limits to carry ANY firearm into any establishment that serves and sell alcohol including non-licensed premises such as bootleggers. This is per Reece Trimmer's video presented in the NC Concealed Handgun Carry Classes. (Trimmer is pretty much the authority in NC)
I'm not sure if you meant for it to come this way. But it sounds like you are saying any place that sells alcohol is off limits to carry. And that isn't the case. The place must sell AND serve the alcohol.

And it isn't per Reece Trimmer's video. It's per NC criminal statutes.
Glocks&Ducs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 21:18   #5
Bogey
CLM Number 242
The Mouth®

Send a message via Yahoo to Bogey

Off limits in an establishment that sells alcohol by the drink.

NO restraunt carry if the places sells drinks.

Stoopidestist law in the freakin' world.
Bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:14   #6
r2d4

Thanks for the help. How about movie theaters?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:41   #7
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:
Originally posted by r2d4
Thanks for the help. How about movie theaters?
From my understanding. Nope. You can't carry to an assembly where a fee has been charged for admission.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:11   #8
r2d4

ouch. any legislation pending to update these restrictions?
Old 08-22-2007, 08:49   #9
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Also any School sponsored event,Dance/Sporting,that's off campus.Not to mention public transport,city owned property and Religious property.Most of the time a/n CCW is more trouble than it's worth.If you carry on any of the above having a/n CCW,it's a Felony.JMTCs.Be Careful.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 13:54   #10
r2d4

Sooo,its every useful for the out of state trips then.
Old 08-22-2007, 19:54   #11
concealedcarry

Re: SERVES AND SELLS

Quote:
[ including non-licensed premises such as bootleggers. This is per Reece Trimmer's video presented in the NC Concealed Handgun Carry Classes. (Trimmer is pretty much the authority in NC) [/B]
Duc
I meant it as I sent it. I DID say "serves and sell". Go back and read it again. Also, Trimmer includes the non licensed premises in his presentation. We all know it is law but the statute does not specifically state non-licensed ABC premises as a gun free zone. That is why Trimmer states it in the video. AND he still is the leading authority in the state when it comes to concealed carry laws.

It doesn't matter if you agree with me or not.
concealedcarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 22:16   #12
NC Bullseye

Quote:
ouch. any legislation pending to update these restrictions?
Yes there is. Check out NC LEG

Note H831 and S1094

There are others but these apply to your original question. Just a curious question. Did you get a copy of the red book from the NC Justice Academy when you took your CHP course?
NC Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:23   #13
Glocks&Ducs

Re: Re: SERVES AND SELLS

Quote:
Duc
I meant it as I sent it. I DID say "serves and sell". Go back and read it again. Also, Trimmer includes the non licensed premises in his presentation. We all know it is law but the statute does not specifically state non-licensed ABC premises as a gun free zone. That is why Trimmer states it in the video. AND he still is the leading authority in the state when it comes to concealed carry laws.

It doesn't matter if you agree with me or not.
If YOU go back and read. I'm wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with you. But you started off your statement saying "actually", as if what misskitty said was incorrect.

But let me get this straight. You are trying to interject that it is illegal to carry any firearm in a bootlegging operation or facility? I say so what. Whether you have a firearm or not. If you are caught in a bootlegging operation, you are done anyway.

And once again. Trimmer and his video isn't the basis for anything. The video was produced following NC statutes as the basis for the scenarios or what was being taught. I would make sure I was read up on the statutes, not on the someone else's video. Whether that person is an authority or not.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:25   #14
r2d4

NC bullseye thanks for the info and the link. As I understand the legeslation I will be able to carry in an eating establishment that sells alcohol on Dec 1 2007. I took my class a year ago and only recently got my ccw. Where can I get one of those booklets?
Old 08-23-2007, 12:36   #15
ConqSoft

Quote:
Originally posted by NC Bullseye
Yes there is. Check out NC LEG

Note H831 and S1094

There are others but these apply to your original question. Just a curious question. Did you get a copy of the red book from the NC Justice Academy when you took your CHP course?
Good info. Thanks
Old 08-23-2007, 12:47   #16
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:
... Where can I get one of those booklets?
It should have been the book you used to take the class.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:53   #17
ConqSoft

Quote:
Originally posted by Glocks&Ducs
From my understanding. Nope. You can't carry to an assembly where a fee has been charged for admission.
I wonder if I could skirt around this with the free tickets to pre-release movies we get from time to time? No one was charged to go to the movie...
Old 08-23-2007, 13:42   #18
NC Bullseye

Quote:
NC bullseye thanks for the info and the link. As I understand the legeslation I will be able to carry in an eating establishment that sells alcohol on Dec 1 2007. I took my class a year ago and only recently got my ccw. Where can I get one of those booklets?
You won't be able to carry in an establishment that sells alcohol for on site consumption unless one (or both) of these bills are passed into law. Right now it looks like we may have to wait another year since I believe they are in recess until next year (I may be wrong, just did a quick look at teh schedule). So no, don't just start carrying in Chili's or Outback just yet. As for the red book, it's called Concealed Carry Handgun Training and should have been given out at your CHP training. If you didn't get one, I'd contact the instructor and request one. I give one out in all of my training courses and it keeps me from having to answer the same questions over and over again. Just an additional note, they have updated the red book and the new copyright date is 2006 on the inside of the front cover.

As for the discussion on the Reece Trimmer video, please don't get wrapped up in a battle over semantics. Yes Trimmer does not make the laws, BUT he was deeply involved in the development NC CHP program and his video is used in the training of new state certified CHP course instructors. Heck you couldn't find a quality bow tie wearer unless he was in on the ground floor of the program. Lets just say that the video from Trimmer is used to impart the knowledge and get on with it? He does give lots of info that isn't written word for word in the course or law but very valuable for the legal insight. Don't forget the idea of adding an additional charge for concealed carry in a illegal drinking establishment is just another way of helping make the case against a bad guy. In the same light as the fact it's illegal to sell pot without collecting state and federal sales tax.
Old 08-23-2007, 13:50   #19
NC Bullseye

Quote:
Originally posted by ConqSoft
I wonder if I could skirt around this with the free tickets to pre-release movies we get from time to time? No one was charged to go to the movie...
You have to ask yourself if you REALLY want to have to pay for the lawyers and dedicate the time from work to make that point. You are still being charged admission, just the charge is a ticket and not cash since someone without the free ticket couldn't just walk in. I would think the good possibility of loosing your ability to own a firearm and loosing your concealed carry permit forever isn't worth seeing a movie. Shucks, save yourself a ton of hassle and wait for the DVD and head to Circuit City! While you're waiting though, start sending letters and emails to your state representatives. That is how things get changed to be more realistic.
Old 08-23-2007, 13:57   #20
ConqSoft

Quote:
Originally posted by NC Bullseye
You have to ask yourself if you REALLY want to have to pay for the lawyers and dedicate the time from work to make that point. You are still being charged admission, just the charge is a ticket and not cash since someone without the free ticket couldn't just walk in. I would think the good possibility of loosing your ability to own a firearm and loosing your concealed carry permit forever isn't worth seeing a movie. Shucks, save yourself a ton of hassle and wait for the DVD and head to Circuit City! While you're waiting though, start sending letters and emails to your state representatives. That is how things get changed to be more realistic.
No, this is a pre-release where NO ONE pays. It's a promotion that marketing companies do. We get them every now and then. So, it's truly a free event for all that are in the theatre.

But, it was just a theoretical question anyway.