Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-28-2007, 14:39   #1
ArodJohns

MP or Infantry?

Hello, I've got a question or two about both of these MOS's. My recruiter was vague at best and bad mouthed MP's like they were the spawn of Satan.

First, if you could enlist again and start over (knowing what you know now) which one would you sign on for? Military Police or Infantry?

The recruiter stated that MP's are basically Infantry with a badge. Alot of the jobs (apparently things like checking ID's or guarding things) are done by both MOS's. While I realise that chances are I wouldn't start off driving a patrol car around base, what job specific things do MP's do?

I'm aware that the Marines and the Army are two different branches, but does the Army have the same problem with tattoo's that the Marines apparently have? I've got tattoo's on both upper arms and one side of my chest. None of them are below my elbow and none of them are subversive.

I found this part.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by ArodJohns; 08-28-2007 at 16:11..
ArodJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 15:31   #2
deadday

You can't spell wimp without MP ;-) (j/k I love you mudpuppies). Don't listen to the people that ***** about MPs being Buddy F'ers, they are just doing their job like everyone else. The MPs now are almost all deployed, recovering, or preparing, most of the Law and Order mission has been tasked to civilians, unless you get a post in Korea or Germany. They do many tasks on deployment that may be considered similar to infantry tasks i.e.: convoy security, cordon, search/destroy etc..

Don't let the recruiter pick your job, do what you want to do.

drew
deadday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 15:38   #3
ArodJohns

Quote:
Originally posted by deadday
You can't spell wimp without MP ;-) (j/k I love you mudpuppies). Don't listen to the people that ***** about MPs being Buddy F'ers, they are just doing their job like everyone else. The MPs now are almost all deployed, recovering, or preparing, most of the Law and Order mission has been tasked to civilians, unless you get a post in Korea or Germany. They do many tasks on deployment that may be considered similar to infantry tasks i.e.: convoy security, cordon, search/destroy etc..

Don't let the recruiter pick your job, do what you want to do.

drew
Nope, he wants me to be a tanker or a cav scout. I'm claustrophobic so tanks are out, and I'm not all that interested in vehicles so a cav scout is out as well.

However, don't take that to mean that I'd be anything less than completely honored to serve my country in any capacity. Hell, I'd sweep the floors if that's where they put me. I just have preferences as to what I'd like to do.
Old 08-28-2007, 15:48   #4
deadday

Quote:
Originally posted by ArodJohns
Nope, he wants me to be a tanker or a cav scout. I'm claustrophobic so tanks are out, and I'm not all that interested in vehicles so a cav scout is out as well.

However, don't take that to mean that I'd be anything less than completely honored to serve my country in any capacity. Hell, I'd sweep the floors if that's where they put me. I just have preferences as to what I'd like to do.
<-----Former Cav Scout, had a blast!

Scouts are a critical MOS right now, so the bonuses are probably pretty high. As a Scout you get to play with all the Armys toys except tanks and the things that fly (hell, we had some training on the little flying camera things, forget what they're called). I can answer more MP related questions if you have 'em, but I don't know much about the 11bang bang side of the house..

drew

drew
Old 08-28-2007, 16:10   #5
ArodJohns

Quote:
<-----Former Cav Scout, had a blast!

Scouts are a critical MOS right now, so the bonuses are probably pretty high. As a Scout you get to play with all the Armys toys except tanks and the things that fly (hell, we had some training on the little flying camera things, forget what they're called). I can answer more MP related questions if you have 'em, but I don't know much about the 11bang bang side of the house..

drew

drew
What kinds of day to day things do MP's do?
Old 08-28-2007, 16:25   #6
deadday

In garrison you may actually patrol, but you'll spend a good deal of time in the field training for deployment. They may have you sitting at one of the RCFs as a cage kicker.

drew
Old 08-28-2007, 18:49   #7
Currahee
NRA Member

I'm biased, I was infantry and loved it. The infantry has a long and proud history and it is cool to be a part of that.

But if think being cooped up in an armored vehicle sucks, wait until you are inside a Humvee and get hit by an IED. Any MOS these days you are going to be doing mounted patrols in combat. And an MOS is really no guarantee as to what kind of work you will do - some tankers and artillery men are doing dismounted patrols, I had soldiers (11Bs) acting as loaders on tanks. Just keep that in mind.
Old 08-29-2007, 14:25   #8
ArodJohns

Quote:
Originally posted by Currahee
I'm biased, I was infantry and loved it. The infantry has a long and proud history and it is cool to be a part of that.

But if think being cooped up in an armored vehicle sucks, wait until you are inside a Humvee and get hit by an IED. Any MOS these days you are going to be doing mounted patrols in combat. And an MOS is really no guarantee as to what kind of work you will do - some tankers and artillery men are doing dismounted patrols, I had soldiers (11Bs) acting as loaders on tanks. Just keep that in mind.
Thanks man. And here I was thinking that I wasn't going to get cooped up in one of those.

I'd love to do either MOS. I've always liked guns, and I've always wanted to be a cop. Either one would be cool in my book.

Next question, if I went in as an MP would I get straight to Missouri for combined AIT and Basic or would I start out in North Carolina? Same thing for Infantry. Would I start out in Georgia or would I start out in North Carolina?
Old 08-29-2007, 14:42   #9
deadday

I'm pretty sure you go straight to Lost in the Woods for OSUT (One Station Unit Training) which is a combination of your BCT and AIT.

drew
Old 08-29-2007, 15:05   #10
10-32
Here, hold this

Man, I hated Lost in the Woods. I was there for BCT in the winter time, and the weather hindered our training. We didn't get to do everything we would have otherwise done. Kinda sucked.
I hear that the summers there can be pretty cruel, but I'd rather have that than miss training. (My AIT in San Antonio was hot and humid, and we all survived).
So if you do go MP, try to shoot for a spring or late winter ship date.

We had alot of MPs in our reception battalion and they were all sent to a different basic training company (battalion, brigade, I don't know) than the rest of us. So I assume you'll likely do OSUT at FLW if you go MP, and likewise in Georgia for Infantry.

Last edited by 10-32; 08-29-2007 at 15:10..
10-32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 15:08   #11
Currahee
NRA Member

If you go infantry you will do your Basic and AIT all at Ft. Benning (called OSUT, it was 14 weeks when I was there). From there you will go to whatever other schools are in your contract, and then to your 1st duty station. If your duty station is not in your contract then you will be asked for your preferences and then sent to where ever the Army needs you. In other words you may or may not end up where you want to go.

If you are serious about signing up, make sure you get all the details before going to the recruiter and MEPs. Feel free to PM me or post here. How many years are you thinking of doing and where do you want to go?
Old 08-29-2007, 15:17   #12
ArodJohns

Quote:
Originally posted by Currahee
If you go infantry you will do your Basic and AIT all at Ft. Benning (called OSUT, it was 14 weeks when I was there). From there you will go to whatever other schools are in your contract, and then to your 1st duty station. If your duty station is not in your contract then you will be asked for your preferences and then sent to where ever the Army needs you. In other words you may or may not end up where you want to go.

If you are serious about signing up, make sure you get all the details before going to the recruiter and MEPs. Feel free to PM me or post here. How many years are you thinking of doing and where do you want to go?

If I go MP, I believe the minimum enlistment is 6 years. Chances are though, that barring some injury I'd probably make a career out of the military. Again, I've never had any real experience with the military so that may change but that's the goal.

As for where I want to go, I'm not sure about that either. I think Brazil would be an interesting place go and so would Germany, but again I'm not even sure which list to pick from.
Old 08-29-2007, 16:47   #13
GermanyBound
One Bad Monkey

Send a message via AIM to GermanyBound Send a message via Yahoo to GermanyBound
If you pick Infantry as your MOS and want to come to Germany, think about your clausterphobia. Most infantry units in this country are Mechanized. You'll be stuck in the back of a Bradley Fighting Vehicle. 9 people shoved into space only meant for 1 regular size and 1 midget.
Old 08-29-2007, 17:13   #14
deadday

Quote:
If I go MP, I believe the minimum enlistment is 6 years. Chances are though, that barring some injury I'd probably make a career out of the military. Again, I've never had any real experience with the military so that may change but that's the goal.

As for where I want to go, I'm not sure about that either. I think Brazil would be an interesting place go and so would Germany, but again I'm not even sure which list to pick from.

Minimum enlistment is 2 years plus your training time. My initial contract was 2 years 20 weeks.

drew
Old 08-29-2007, 17:20   #15
ArodJohns

Quote:
Minimum enlistment is 2 years plus your training time. My initial contract was 2 years 20 weeks.

drew
Is that for Infantry or MP?
Old 08-29-2007, 17:36   #16
xxiv
NRA Member

Send a message via ICQ to xxiv Send a message via AIM to xxiv
If you want to be a cop, just be a cop.

I don't care what anybody says, MP's do not actively perform the same movement to contact/recon patrols that Infantry does. They, nor any other MOS in the Army, are "just like the Infantry" and the people saying this are (surprise!) not 11B. Recruiters are also unabashed liars for the most part, few out there are honest.

Sounds harsh, and I guess it is. I don't look down on any MOS in the military but it rubs me the wrong way when I hear the "I'm pretty much Infantry" from people trying to convince themselves of it.

Your ink will be fine also.
Old 08-29-2007, 17:50   #17
ArodJohns

Quote:
Originally posted by xxiv
If you want to be a cop, just be a cop.

I don't care what anybody says, MP's do not actively perform the same movement to contact/recon patrols that Infantry does. They, nor any other MOS in the Army, are "just like the Infantry" and the people saying this are (surprise!) not 11B. Recruiters are also unabashed liars for the most part, few out there are honest.

Sounds harsh, and I guess it is. I don't look down on any MOS in the military but it rubs me the wrong way when I hear the "I'm pretty much Infantry" from people trying to convince themselves of it.

Your ink will be fine also.
Fair enough, I was worried about my tattoo's.

I just PM'ed you as well.
Old 08-29-2007, 17:55   #18
xxiv
NRA Member

Send a message via ICQ to xxiv Send a message via AIM to xxiv
Quote:

Six years is not the minimum. If he's telling you that I would bet he's being dishonest.

Sign up at www.armyparatrooper.org and after posting an introduction about yourself in the civilian subforum start talking in the recruiters forum, the moderator there while sarcastic is very honest and will not steer you wrong.
Old 08-29-2007, 19:07   #19
deadday

Quote:
Is that for Infantry or MP?

That was for 19D Scout....And I was XXIV, if he is telling your 6 years is the min. he is not being truthful...

drew
Old 08-29-2007, 19:19   #20
Currahee
NRA Member

Do NOT sign up for 6 years. I think 3 years is the best first enlistment term. The 2 year contracts require a further commitment to the Guard or Reserves.

If you want Germany, make sure you get that in your contract. When you go to MEPS and talk to the "career counseler" they will try to steer you into whatever MOS' they are short on. They will tell you that slots for infantry are not available etc. Just tell them nicely but firmly that if you don't get what you want you will walk away and you will get the MOS you want.

Honestly about the claustraphobia - being cooped up in the back of a Brad is WAY better IMO than being in a Humvee when you are rolling down the MSR and getting hit by IEDs and/or taking fire. There is not much room in a Humvee anyway.

My advice is to go infantry for 3 years. Try to get Germany. If you like the Army you can re-up and try to get into the Rangers or SF, or reclass. If you don't like it, you can get out. 3 years means 1 or 2 tours in Iraq. 6 years means 3-4 tours. F---- that.
Old 08-29-2007, 20:19   #21
Sam White
Silver Membership
I miss you bud

Good posts above. I just want to add one more post to say "get it in the contract." Like the saying goes, "if it's not in the contract you're not going to get it." Be aware that your MEPS career counselor (and your recruiter) has his/her own interests to look after when you enlist. They want to fill MOS slots, etc. They'll also have their own biases about career fields. Right now is your chance to do for yourself before you join the Army. You don't have to sign up for 6 years. 6 years is too long for a first contract in the Army, IMO, for reasons stated above.
Sam White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 20:49   #22
ArodJohns

After some research (actually the fast few hours believe it or not), I've come to a conclusion.

These are the three that I would like to do 11B, 19D, 31A

Yes, Cav Scout's in there. I called a co-worker of mine whom I know did something with Armor, but I never found out quite what. This young man's been out of the Army almost a year now. He was a Cav Scout, and gave me information on day to day life and such. It doesn't seem that bad and it'll be easier to get where I want to be if I add that MOS to the list of possibilities.

I would really like to have that Ranger tab, so I figure that if my plan goes right it should go something like this:

First enlistment for either 11B or 19D with some type of specification or clause in the contract for Airborne. After jump school, just bide my time and if I can at all tolerate the Army re-enlist in the same MOS but with a designation for Pathfinder or Ranger school. Both of those would be pretty interesting and I think I'd like to give them a shot.

What say all of you? Possible? Not possible? Shouldn't even bother with the specialties because I'll get laughed out of MEPS?
Old 08-30-2007, 01:01   #23
Norcal911

It's been a few years since I got out but I'll offer my opinion anyway. Infantry all the way. There are plenty of other good MOS's but why? I'll assume you are going there to blow S&%t up and kill things, may as well get the good training. Other MOS's (at least when I was in) got SOME infantry type training and thought they were combat ready. Being a professional means training day in and day out, not going to the qual range once a quarter, doing some PT, and spending the rest of your time in an office or something. Get an 11B contract with Ranger battalion, 82nd, something light infantry, that way you don't end up in a vehicle (meaning in the motor pool 3 days a week). Then you will be assured there will be tough training and good guys. Be prepared for some extremely difficult, but very rewarding times. Get it in writing and get what you want, or walk away. Your recruiter will try to put you where he needs the numbers, not where you want to go. I maxed out the ASVAB and I told them I wanted a Airborne Ranger contract, they said no, my ears weren't good enough. Same with EOD, ears weren't good enough (go figure, EOD!). Anyway, went intell for 3 years, hated it. Went to OCS, got infantry, did the airborne ranger thing (tab only, no time in 75th, big difference) etc etc. Proudest days of my life (at least at the time) were earning a tab, wings, and then an EIB. I don't regret one moment of it. Do it while you are young and the body can stand up to the punishment. You can re-class later to something a bit softer or go real hardcore and go to battalion, RRD, SF, CAG etc. Go Infantry, train hard, and you will not be dissapointed. I don't want to start an MOS bashing here because all are needed, but you are combat arms or you are a REMF. When I was a REMF, I hero-worshipped the combat arms guys, I wanted to be like them, I wanted to jump out of airplanes, I wanted to earn a tab, etc, so I went and did it. I'm twice the man today because of it-Norcal911
Norcal911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:23   #24
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
My $.02 worth.

Go missile electronics/battle field RADAR tech.

You will find a better paying job once you get out with electronics tech training. You could work at a military depot on the same gear overhauling stuff as a civilian.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:51   #25
Currahee
NRA Member

It is quite realistic to expect to get an infantry contract with airborne school in it.

They will probably give you 2 choices - infantry with airborne school or infantry with the duty station of your choice. Getting airborne school is no guarantee that you will end up in an airborne unit (or even a light infantry unit).

You will not have to re-enlist to get Ranger school. After you've done a combat tour and proved yourself, there are typically plenty of slots for hard charging young soldiers who have a strong interest in the Army. Getting what you want in the Army is all about having good relationships with the people around you. This is definetly not the same thing as kissing ass. But if you are good at your job, try hard everyday and admit readily that you've screwed up, your 1SG will notice you and want to help you get the things that you want out of the Army.

The Army is like most things in life - you will get out of it what you put into it. You can get ALOT from 3 years in the infantry. I did infantry school, airborne, Korea, Kuwait, Iraq and then time at Ft. Carson (and the basic NCO academy but that was terrible). So in 3 years I got a chance to do it all. In Iraq I got a chance to do all the things I had enlisted for in the first place. It was the best and worst year of my life. The reason I got out of the Army was because the only time I liked my job was when I was in Iraq. I hated garrison life. I would never do it again voluntarily but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

If you do decide to enlist, make you get what you want in your contract at MEPS. Do not settle for something else or a longer contract because of a bonus. Only idiots do things in the Army for money. It just ain't worth it and that money won't get you through the tough times. Only a true desire to serve will help you when times are tough.

Lastly, if you do enlist, post back here and let us know the details so we can fill you in on basic training etc. Take care and best of luck