Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-29-2007, 16:30   #1
osiruscyn
Broken Member

Clark County LVMPD Process

Went today to drop off my app.

Got there about 8:15 AM and the parking lot was, for the most part, empty. Thought, great, this is going to be quick. It was for the most part but not as quick as I had hoped.

Went in and told them I was there for a CCW. They gave me a 300 number and i went in and had a seat in the lobby.

There were 7 people ahead of me (I could tell because of the numbers).

When your number is called, you go over to the side windows. I believe window number 4 is the CCW window. There was only one window open for CCW's.

After you give them your app and sign the 2 forms in front of them, you give them your blue cards, Drivers license, and money order/cashiers check. They create a file for you, get your receipt and then fill out a sheet that you then take with you to window number 6. You don't wait to be called, you just walk up to it.

So you go up there and they ask for your ID and number again. They also ask if you have had a work card or CCW before. I had a work card so they were able to pull up my SCOPE. He went off that, wrote some stuff on the sheet they gave me at the first window then scanned my thumb (I assume as a verification measure). Then they told me to go to the back and have a seat and wait for them to call my number for the fingerprinting and photo.

After waiting back there for about 20 minutes, they called me up, asked for my ID again and asked to see my hands. Then they scanned my fingerprints and told me to have a seat for the photos. I waited another 10 minutes and then they called me up for my photo. I had to show my ID again and then had to stand behind their podium and look ahead at the camera. After they take the picture, you sign on the pad that scand your signature into the computer that will be on your CCW permit card. After that they tell you to go have a seat in the main lobby and wait for your number to be called to window number 10.

After sitting out there for 20 minutes and counting 13 other people waiting for the same thing, they finally started calling numbers up. They called me, asked for my ID, and told me my card came out okay and that they would send it out after the background comes back clean and that i was free to go. Literally about 20 seconds.

So i ended up getting out of there at 10 AM. Not too bad but not nearly as quick as i thought. The reason is because after you get called to the CCW window, you are in the flow with the rest of the people there for work cards, child care cards, and other stuff. That is where the slow down comes. They only had 2 fingerprint techs working and had 3 fingerprint stations unmanned out of 5. One person taking photos as there is only one place for the photos. We'll see how long it takes for the cards to come.
osiruscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:19   #2
RepairMan
MSgt

Wow, that's a long process... I thought the half hour and then 2 and half week wait in VA was crappy. I guess that's nothing compared to buying a handgun in NJ.

I'll get to go through it once I get out there in the spring.
Old 09-03-2007, 16:48   #3
crazypilot
ERAU Alumni '05

That's correct. I went in at 9am and left around 1130am. They had one window open for CCW and all the fingerprint stations going at the time. Once I got past the first window, it was down hill from there. By the way, I received my CFP in 5 weeks.
crazypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:36   #4
momwithaglock

Definitely set aside 2 - 3 hours for your CCP at the Metro substation. It is frustrating to only have one or two windows open for this service! My permit then took over 60 days to arrive, but I was told there would be a delay due to the fact that my birthdate was initially put in incorrectly by the person at the first window.

Adding a weapon to your permit is a shorter wait because they don't need you to go back through fingerprinting and photos. You just make one stop at the CCW window and the revised permit is sent (got mine in 10 days).
momwithaglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:40   #5
Barcroft

At my CCW class yesterday the instructor said that the current wait is only 32 days for the initial issue.
I'll turn in the forms tomorrow tomorrow (Monday) and let you know if Metro tells me anything about the time involved. When the CCW does arrive, I'll post the time it took.
From the sounds of things, maybe it's a good idea to take a good book along for the wait at Metro.
Barcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 14:04   #6
Barcroft

UPDATE!
After arriving before the 8AM opening, the longest wait was spent, well, waiting.
Had all the same things happen as did Ocyruscyn, but the total time spent inside from entry to exit, was only 1 hour, nine minutes.
And this was today, Monday. I had expected to wait much longer.
Very nice surprise!
Old 10-09-2007, 10:09   #7
MikeDawg

Well, you guys lucked out, I had to stop in the LVMPD at my lunch break, probably close to 2:00 PM, and the place was packed, although there were only maybe 5-8 people in front of me for CCW; there were all kinds of other people there. I spent probably an hour waiting to get to the CCW window alone. After that, headed back to the fingerprinting station, and probably waited close to 45 minutes - 1 hour for the finger prints, and then probably another 30 minutes for the photo. After that, i waiting around for another 30 minutes for them to call me up to the window and tell me that everything checked out ok, and that I would be mailed my CCW.

Overall, it took a lot longer that I thought it would, and I ended up being at the LVMPD for about 3 hours.

Mike
MikeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:32   #8
Law Talkin' Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Barcroft
At my CCW class yesterday the instructor said that the current wait is only 32 days for the initial issue.
I'll turn in the forms tomorrow tomorrow (Monday) and let you know if Metro tells me anything about the time involved. When the CCW does arrive, I'll post the time it took.
From the sounds of things, maybe it's a good idea to take a good book along for the wait at Metro.
32 days!? I call BS. I submitted mine August 17 and I am still waiting for it to arrive.
S&W 642
Remington 870 Marine Magnum
Law Talkin' Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:40   #9
MikeDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Law Talkin' Guy
32 days!? I call BS. I submitted mine August 17 and I am still waiting for it to arrive.
Ahhh man. . . I just finished up at the LVMPD about a month ago, and I'm finally starting to get anxious about my CCW showing up; and now you broke all those dreams.

Well, at least, I applied for my Utah CCW as well, and they supposedly finish all requests within 60 days (not sure if this applies to out-of-state applicants as well).
Old 10-15-2007, 10:42   #10
Law Talkin' Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeDawg
Ahhh man. . . I just finished up at the LVMPD about a month ago, and I'm finally starting to get anxious about my CCW showing up; and now you broke all those dreams.

Well, at least, I applied for my Utah CCW as well, and they supposedly finish all requests within 60 days (not sure if this applies to out-of-state applicants as well).
I hate to shatter more dreams, but UT out-of-state permits are running about 6 months! They have a "status" here:

http://bci.utah.gov/

I mailed my UT the same day I dropped off my NV permit application. This waiting sucks.
S&W 642

Last edited by Law Talkin' Guy; 10-15-2007 at 11:30..
Old 10-15-2007, 10:45   #11
MikeDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Law Talkin' Guy
I hate to shatter more dreams, but UT out-of-state permits are running about 6 months! They have a "status" here:

http://bci.utah.gov/

I mailed my UT the same day I dropped off my NV permit application. This waiting sucks.
You could have kept this a secret, and let me just keep dreamin'. . .
Old 10-15-2007, 11:26   #12
crazypilot
ERAU Alumni '05

My UT CFP took 5 1/2 months.
Old 10-15-2007, 17:23   #13
osiruscyn
Broken Member

well it looks like the wonderful CCW detail is falling behind more and more back to their good old usual time of well over 120 days (average was 140-160 days even though state law is 120 days). I'm going on day 48 and nothing. Submitted my paperwork 8/29/07.

Last edited by osiruscyn; 10-15-2007 at 17:26..
Old 10-15-2007, 17:51   #14
Law Talkin' Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by osiruscyn
well it looks like the wonderful CCW detail is falling behind more and more back to their good old usual time of well over 120 days (average was 140-160 days even though state law is 120 days). I'm going on day 48 and nothing. Submitted my paperwork 8/29/07.
When I was at the CCW detail dropping off my paperwork, the guy in the next booth over asked about typical wait times. The lady told him times were getting longer, 60-90 days at least now. She mentioned that they actually had 120 days by statute. I was hoping she was exaggerating on the current times. I guess not.
S&W 642
Old 10-21-2007, 19:31   #15
SinCityGlocker

Mine took 93 days. Obviously when my renewal comes up in about two years I will apply about 4 months ahead of time so as not to have a lapse between my current card expiring and the new one arriving. I was at the fingerprint/ccw office for about 20 minutes, but my wife works for Metro so I breezed right through...
Old 10-23-2007, 03:36   #16
crazypilot
ERAU Alumni '05

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityGlocker View Post
Mine took 93 days. Obviously when my renewal comes up in about two years I will apply about 4 months ahead of time so as not to have a lapse between my current card expiring and the new one arriving. I was at the fingerprint/ccw office for about 20 minutes, but my wife works for Metro so I breezed right through...
At least someone saved some time. I'll be doing the same thing when my time comes. I like to keep my gun close by in LV.
Old 11-01-2007, 17:22   #17
Law Talkin' Guy

76 days for me. Mine arrived today.
S&W 642
Old 11-01-2007, 17:26   #18
MikeDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Talkin' Guy View Post
76 days for me. Mine arrived today.
Uggh. . . I'm only on day 41, so I still have quite a bit of time to wait. . .
Old 11-01-2007, 17:29   #19
osiruscyn
Broken Member

I'm on day 64.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:58   #20
MikeDawg

Looks like the whole Utah BCI is cruisin' right along on their applications for conceal carry. As of today, at 10:00 AM PST, the websites shows they are processing applications for 9/1/2007.

I think I submitted mine, and got my check via my bank around 9/26, so hopefully they will process my application soon.

Mike
Old 11-08-2007, 12:01   #21
Law Talkin' Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDawg View Post
Looks like the whole Utah BCI is cruisin' right along on their applications for conceal carry. As of today, at 10:00 AM PST, the websites shows they are processing applications for 9/1/2007.

I think I submitted mine, and got my check via my bank around 9/26, so hopefully they will process my application soon.

Mike
They really have picked up the pace.

I mailed (via priority mail) my UT permit the same day I applied for my NV permit, August 17. My UT should be coming soon, I hope.

ETA: I added my new G20 yesterday to my NV permit. I was in and out of the fingerprint bureau in a shocking 10 minutes! A lot better than when I first when in there to get my CCW.
S&W 642
Old 11-08-2007, 13:11   #22
osiruscyn
Broken Member

still waiting for my NV CCW on day 71
Old 11-12-2007, 23:23   #23
osiruscyn
Broken Member

73 days, Finally got it.
Old 11-12-2007, 23:42   #24
crazypilot
ERAU Alumni '05

That was long. It took me about 35 days. What did you do? However my UT permit took 5 1/2 months.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:06   #25
Barcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by osiruscyn View Post
73 days, Finally got it.
Hopefully, mine isn't far off; my app went in 12 days after yours.