Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:52   #1
Ramblneer

IWB Retention Issues

I'm somewhat new to carrying concealed. I currently own a Comp-Tac Minotaur holster that I carry my Glock 9mms in. The issue I'm having is, despite backing out the screws, I just feel the retention is just too tight. Almost like my body is pushing on the leather which causes the holster to hold too tight. Do all IWB holsters behave this way? Any suggestions are welcome. I did buy a White Hat IWB holster for my brother recently and am considering purchasing one for myself.
Ramblneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:43   #2
NC Bullseye

This is where having 7 holes in a belt made specifically for supporting a carry gun comes in handy.

A well made belt designed to carry and distribute the weight of a firearm will let you to loosen the belt a bit so the pressure of the leather holster backing isn't going to make the retention prohibitive. The seven holes option vs the five gives you the ability to "fine tune" the tightness much better.

Check out thebeltman.net I've carried IWB daily with one of his belts for over 8 years with no issues.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:52   #3
HuntRocketMan

I'd contact the place you got it from.
Sounds like they got it wrong.
Retention is in the molding and is as much of an art as it is a science.

Belt tension should not affect it all that much.
HuntRocketMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:00   #4
Decutor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntRocketMan View Post
I'd contact the place you got it from.
Sounds like they got it wrong.
Retention is in the molding and is as much of an art as it is a science.

Belt tension should not affect it all that much.
Every kydex holster I own can be hampered by too much pressure.

Having a belt that's too tight or plain squeezing the thing will simulate having the screws tightened way, way too much.

I'm with the "get a belt that's larger than you need... then loosen it" crowd.
Decutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:51   #5
HuntRocketMan

The OP never said anything about having his belt too tight.
Sure, if you go to the extreme what can you expect?
It would be that way with any IWB holster.
But I don't think he's talking about that (I could be wrong).

If the holster is hard to pull with belt pressure (and this has nothing to do with adjusting screws), the kydex is not molded properly. period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decutor View Post
Every kydex holster I own can be hampered by too much pressure.

Having a belt that's too tight or plain squeezing the thing will simulate having the screws tightened way, way too much.

I'm with the "get a belt that's larger than you need... then loosen it" crowd.
Old 03-29-2015, 15:16   #6
4Rules

If you contact Comp-Tac they will offer to fix it for you.
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 15:37   #7
SJ 40

Comp Tac is very responsive and have excellent customer service,give them a call. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 19:53   #8
JKDmop

My Comp Tac was very tight to start off. I backed out the screws but also broke it in with lots of practice draws. I also may have used the gun in a plastic bag method like I would for a leather holster ( but it has been a while, so I can't be sure).

Love how unlike much of their competition I can get a good combat grip while the gun is still in the holster. Don't love the kydex clips.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 03-30-2015, 08:34   #9
Ramblneer

Thank you for all of your responses. For a minute, you guys had me convince I may be wearing my belt too tight (I have plenty of adjustment on my instructor belt). However, I tightened down the screws on the kydex and loosened the belt. Still same issue. I'm going to give it a few more weeks to see if it just needs a break in. After that I may considering something fully kydex that'll retain it's shape a bit better than a hybrid. I really like the look of some of the JM Customs.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:24   #10
fredj338

Too tight with the gun on or just pulling the gun in & out of the holster? I wear the same rig with my XD45c, goes in & out pretty easily. Make sure you got the right holster for the right gun. Example, XD is not the same as XDM.
The leather is new & stiff, it adds to the holster tension & as you wear the gun it will loosen a bit. If the holster is right & you want less tension, you can heat the kydex up with a hair drier, gun in place, tension screws backed out, it will loosen up. Then tighten the tension screws. BTW, I wear my belt pretty snug.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 03-30-2015 at 11:24..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 14:19   #11
Ramblneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Too tight with the gun on or just pulling the gun in & out of the holster? I wear the same rig with my XD45c, goes in & out pretty easily. Make sure you got the right holster for the right gun. Example, XD is not the same as XDM.
The leather is new & stiff, it adds to the holster tension & as you wear the gun it will loosen a bit. If the holster is right & you want less tension, you can heat the kydex up with a hair drier, gun in place, tension screws backed out, it will loosen up. Then tighten the tension screws. BTW, I wear my belt pretty snug.
The gun slides in and out of the holster when not wearing it just fine. My issues are only when I am wearing it. Maybe I'm just being impatient on the break in period.

Last edited by Ramblneer; 03-30-2015 at 14:21..
Old 03-30-2015, 16:28   #12
HuntRocketMan

Probably peculiar to that particular brand.

Give 'em a call and see what they say.
Old 03-30-2015, 17:00   #13
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblneer View Post
The gun slides in and out of the holster when not wearing it just fine. My issues are only when I am wearing it. Maybe I'm just being impatient on the break in period.
With most leather/kydex hybrids, the leather is unformed. When you wear it for awhile, it will start to take the shape of your gun. Then you'll actually have to tighten the retentions screws a bit. IMO, few gunfights are won with a hyperfast draw. The gun staying in place if you are running, jumping or fighting on the ground for your life is more important. Mine was stiff when I started, it is perfect after wearing it for several days.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 17:31   #14
First shot

IWB retention issues

I Have a Comp- Tac Minotaur/ Infidel Ulra for my M&P 45 C. It all fit like a glove right out of the box. It's as comfortable and accessible as my Galco King Tuk for my G 26. They have a good support line and return policy. If you can't work it out, call em. First shot.
First shot is offline   Reply With Quote