Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:37   #381
B1rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags_G19 View Post
Wow, I feel like I just read a novel.
I have been following this thread for the last week or so and finally got through all the threads...

Well, here is the reason I applied for my GFL (Georgia Firearms Lisc.) three weeks ago.

I am listing 3 recent incidences...and one from a few years back. I have had some more over the last 25 years, but lived in Illinois and Ohio where I couldn't carry. I now live in Georgia and can carry!

First incidence...
May 2008 - 2:30AM...I am home in bed...sound asleep. I live in a nice area in the burbs of ATL. I have a security system but do not always turn it on at night. Well, this night I had not turned it on. I am a pretty sound sleeper and have a hard time waking up to my alarm clock, but this night I woke up instantly to the entry beeps from my alarm system. (When window or door is open...the alarm key pad has two beeps). I thought at first I was dreaming, but then I heard them again. I was up instantly. I laid there a minute and looked at the key pad on the bedroom wall...the green light went off again. I should have just called 911, but I jumped out of bed and started yelling, "Who's there!" I started turning on lights inside and out...I then called 911 and they LEO's were here within about 5 minutes. They walked around my place and we found someone had cut my rear screen door and tried entering through the sliding glass door. The burglar bar stopped entry.

Second incidence...
June 2008 - I was at a red light at about 1:00AM in my new F150. Very few cars on the road...and a car pulls up next to me. (I am in the right lane) I glance over and see 3 people in the car staring at me. I immediately looked strait ahead as I didn't want to be "eye balling" these thugs. When the light turns green I start to drive down the road and the car stays at my side or a little behind me in the left lane. I am approaching the Interstate and turn on my turn signal. The car to the left of me speeds up and cuts in front of me to get on the on ramp. As we are heading down the on ramp, the car speeds up a head of me...as I reach a speed of about 45 MPH the car slams on his breaks and stops. I slam on my to avoid rear ending him and stop about 20 feet behind the car. There are curbs to my left and right and tall grass on the on ramp. Then the back seat passenger jumps out of the car...I see his eyes and the look in them and then I see the gun. My instincts kick in and I floor it to the left of the car...the guy with the gun was on the right side. I hop the curb and start driving through the grass to pass the car. I get back onto the on ramp and floored it...In my rear view mirror I see the guy get back into the car. I got up to about 110 MPH on the interstate and could see the head lights behind me...I was hoping to get stopped by a LEO at the time. I drove about 7 miles on a deserted Interstate and got off at my off ramp...the car never got off behind me. Needless to say this really go my attention. Even if I had my G19 with me at the time, I would have done the same thing driving away...but this situation made me think more about my personal safety.

Third incidence...
August 2008 - 9PM (just after dusk)...went into local gas station about 1 mile from my home to pick up a pack of smokes (I know bad habit). When leaving, I saw a guy quickly approaching me. I moved a little quicker and jumped into my truck. When trying to shut the door, a hand grabs the door to hold it open. I looked at the guy and said "what the F are you doing"...he responded...I have transmission problems and you are going to help me...I replied...the h*** I am and said if he wants to keep his fingers he better get his hand off my door and then began to slam my door...he let go at the last second and started cussing at me and spit on my window. I was furious...drove about a block away and called 911. I ended up meeting with the LEO's and they told me the guy was on probation and had a long wrap sheet.

Incidence about 5 years ago - My cousin and his family were attacked in a home invasion at 3AM in his home...My cousin had to have 45 stitches and his wife had over 100 stitches from a knife attacking home invader...the bad guy got away after the fight...thank goodness they were not killed. My cousin had a gun, but it was locked in a safe and could not access it during the attack.

So, with these three recent incidences in the last few months and my cousins home invasion from a few years ago, I decided it was time! I was encouraged big time by two of my good LEO friends. Hopefully I will receive my Lisc. in the coming weeks!

Wags_G19
Glock 19
NRA Member
GCO Member (Georgia Carry.Org)
Wow, statistically you should be safe the rest of your life and a few others also.
B1rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 14:28   #382
Doc Blase

An armed robbery, a friend murdered, and my job.

Back in high school a friend and I were walking over to his house when two odd-looking guys walked by us going the other way. A few seconds later a voice behind us ordered us to put our hands up and turn around.

We faced two runaway kids with a .45 and a knife. These two moved closer and relieved us of our wallets. I'll never forget the feeling of standing there at their mercy.

About a year later a co-worker of my mom's was ambushed outside of the Portland Oregon Taco House, kidnapped out to the woods, and shot dead because he wasn't able to open the safe inside the resteraunt.

I reacted by enrolling as a Law Enforcement major in college.

Now, 30 years later I'm a licensed professional investigator, I work alone doing accident and evidence photography, witness locates and defendant summons service. A few months ago, a PI was beaten to death in Colorado by a defendant who used a baseball bat to express his displeasure at having been served.

Though I sometimes carry a Taser or pepper spray, there are other times that the G21 feels more appropriate for the situation. My armed endorsement cost me about $350 in ammo, license and exam fees and was worth every buck.
Doc Blase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 21:38   #383
wbgolden

Pretty simple. The criminals and their guns are getting closer it seems like daily to my home and surrounding area.

Avoid them at all costs, but be prepared if you can't, says I.
wbgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 16:42   #384
RonnyGunz

Why I carry.

About 3 years ago, I got a warning from our backup power system to let me know that the power had gone out at work. Being the closest to work, I had to go in and supervise the shut down of the non-essential systems. We do a lot of personal data, so it's important that the storage systems stay online, and that the backups don't just shut off

When I get to the area, there's about a three block radius that the power is out. No further than that, but there are no active street lights in the area. It's near black outside and the emergency lights are online inside, leaving huge gaps around the office. I drive a loop around the office, but I don't see any other cars or any indication that anyone else is there. I turn on my flashlight and navigate to the server room. I make sure that the essential systems are online, and everything else shuts down.

I'm starting to make a last rounds before I let my boss know that everything is good to go and I see a van outside. I'm freaking out because the alarm is turned off (since I was walking around) and I saw know one in the van. I pull out my knife and turn off my flashlight, and I see this light in the executive offices, I move in to see what he's doing and my heart is pounding. I turn on my light and give the guy a heart attack, after his face stops contorting, I recognize him as our late-night janitor. I'd met him only a couple of times before.

I apologized and moved on, and vowed that I'd never be in that situation again, without a weapon. It took me way longer than it should have, but I have my permit now, and my Glock 17 goes everywhere I go.

Thanks for your stories before, I don't seem to be alone in feeling the way I do anymore.
RonnyGunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 19:02   #385
Caustic Mopar

1st defining moment was when i was 15, i grew up in a military family, Dad was AF and we got stationed in Myrtle Beach SC. Well one night after a week of 2adays (all day football practice) a buddie asked me if i wanted to come with him out to the pier and hangout. Wile walking to the pier as my buddie lived about 5 blocks away from the beach a mustang pulls up and 2 guys mid 20's get out and ask us how to get to a pier about 10 miles up the beach. Well us being 15 had no idea how to drive to that pier. they thought we were tourists and started to beet us up. I was able to get away and get help but my buddie was beaten and left in a ditch. cops were called but no arrests were made.

2nd defining moment was when i accepted a Job as a Special Police Officer at a Embassy in Washington DC.

I now have a G21 in a M.T.A.C. iwb and a surefire 6p that i never leave home without.
Caustic Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 17:53   #386
burnsoft

Send a message via AIM to burnsoft
Grew up in a terrible city only a few blocks from the getto, but the rest of the city was filled with gang violence. Since I was 11 there were a lot of times that I had to get from one place to another on my own, bus bike or walk. And I knew what went on in most of the city so I protected my self with every means that was legal to me at the time, martial arts, plus pocket knife till I was 14, which then I upgrade to throwing knives that were still legal to carry. Pretty much kept with the motto of “defend yourself or die trying.” Pretty much kept with that pattern ever since. 18 also bought a rifle, and at 21 bought a handgun.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Even though I moved to a nice place when I was 18, violence spreads like a virus and now in cities in my area are starting to remind me of things back when I was younger. Plus now I have to drive from place to place, I wouldn’t know if I drifted into a bad area of town until it was too late. Knives can only do so much from a distance, but I also have my family to protect as well now and it’s comforting to know that I can level the playing field is something occurred, that is if they are not packing a rocket launcher.<o:p></o:p>
But my wife just calls what I said above paranoia.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
burnsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:53   #387
BondGirl

Last year I moved in with my sister we live a bit out in the country. Our nieghbor behind us is also a single Mom. One day she and her boyfriend get into it and he tried to choke her. She wound up running over to our house and leaving her 3 small boys in the house with him. After calling the police my sister and I go to her house to get the boys. Lucky for us he had left but it still took the police more than a half hour to respond. After that I learned to shoot and got my CCW. I would rather know how to take care of myself and my family then to have something happen.
The other reason is because I work back off a main road and the shift I work there is only 4 women on and no security and I leave at 11:30pm.
BondGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 15:15   #388
d3athp3nguin

Wow- lots of great stories here!

Yea, being cautious after being victimized is totally acceptable in this society. Try to be prepared beforehand, and you're considered paranoid.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:31   #389
LApm9

I am a little, sorta plump, middle aged guy, with a cheerful demeanor (and a bit of close quarters training). This spells "victim". After fending off two attempted strong arm assaults, I read a blog entry where a fellow wrote that it is our duty to exercise our right to go armed if we can, as, by doing so we make a show of our numbers. The second point the fellow made was that, by going armed, we make the bad actors of the world fearful that an armed citizen might be present when they make their move, and thus suppress crime non-violently.

Since that time (eight years) I have had three incidents, where the suspect abruptly withdrew when I grasped the grip of my weapon:

- A disheveled man rapidly emerges from the shadows and makes a bee-line for me as I fill up (only car) at a gas pump at night. He stops and rapidly goes back the way he came.

- While walking in a "nice part" of a high crime city, a chap on a bicycle passes by my son and I three times, giving us a looking over each time. He then goes past us and zooms behind a wall at a deserted gas station along our path...and doesn't come out. When we are about seven yards away, he pokes his head around the corner, notes that my gaze is on him, and jerks back. We hear the crash as he apparently drops his bicycle, and then he zooms away like a million fleas were after him.

- My wife and I emerge from a hiking trail on the edge of a medium size city and approach our car at the trail head. Ours is the only car. There is a scruffy looking chap, peeking at us, hidden behind our car. My hand goes to my weapon and I start moving laterally to cover and he flees on a bicycle.

Maybe nothing was going to happen, but perhaps due to the nonverbal signals an armed and ready man sends out, nothing did happen. This is a good thing!
LApm9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 16:03   #390
Torontogunguy

Kudos to you my friend. If I myself could carry 24/7 I would do just that in this crazy world of today, but I cannot. Firstly I am living at present in Canada where one can only transport a restricted weapon with an Authorization and only to a range, gunsmith or border point. NO CARRYING. It's gotta be unloaded and well locked up in the trunk.

What is even sadder is that I am an American (and Canadian) citizen. And I can only carry in a limited number of states and must be careful of what and where I carry. I have actually had a safe installed in my minivan rear to lock up my handgun when I am in a non-permitted state or area. The saddest part is that there are a growing number of states that will only issue to their own residents or to residents of another state.... so it matters not that you are a citizen in good standing.. you are discriminated against by virtue of your residence (sic). Our second amendment rights are not yet free and clear; there is much work yet to be done.

The point of this post? If you are able to carry 24/7 then DO IT. Please. It only takes ONE incident to make the difference between life and death. We have had our home invaded twice (once successfully, once not) and have had several "incidents" that would have been a whole lot more comfortable with a handgun in one's pocket. I have even had a HUGE revolver stuck in my nose in the middle of the street in broad daylight in Orlando Florida, which, as it turns out, is now in the top 10 for violent crime in the USofA (believe it or not).

So, I say, if you can carry 24/7 then do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LApm9 View Post
I am a little, sorta plump, middle aged guy, with a cheerful demeanor (and a bit of close quarters training). This spells "victim". After fending off two attempted strong arm assaults, I read a blog entry where a fellow wrote that it is our duty to exercise our right to go armed if we can, as, by doing so we make a show of our numbers. The second point the fellow made was that, by going armed, we make the bad actors of the world fearful that an armed citizen might be present when they make their move, and thus suppress crime non-violently.

Since that time (eight years) I have had three incidents, where the suspect abruptly withdrew when I grasped the grip of my weapon:

- A disheveled man rapidly emerges from the shadows and makes a bee-line for me as I fill up (only car) at a gas pump at night. He stops and rapidly goes back the way he came.

- While walking in a "nice part" of a high crime city, a chap on a bicycle passes by my son and I three times, giving us a looking over each time. He then goes past us and zooms behind a wall at a deserted gas station along our path...and doesn't come out. When we are about seven yards away, he pokes his head around the corner, notes that my gaze is on him, and jerks back. We hear the crash as he apparently drops his bicycle, and then he zooms away like a million fleas were after him.

- My wife and I emerge from a hiking trail on the edge of a medium size city and approach our car at the trail head. Ours is the only car. There is a scruffy looking chap, peeking at us, hidden behind our car. My hand goes to my weapon and I start moving laterally to cover and he flees on a bicycle.

Maybe nothing was going to happen, but perhaps due to the nonverbal signals an armed and ready man sends out, nothing did happen. This is a good thing!
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:17   #391
Gary1911A1

I'm retired from a Maximum Security Prison where my life was threaten so many times I can't remember them all. Most Inmates are losers, but dangerous none the less and some will be out on the streets again to commit other violent crimes.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 13:59   #392
Grovenator

In 1983 I turned 21 years old and I went out and bought a used 5 screw S&W Model 10 .38 with a heavy barrel, my first handgun. Two months later I had my CPL. Never gave it a second thought! Could'nt wait to get my first handgun. And why have one if I could'nt carry it?
Old 10-13-2008, 23:25   #393
singlespeed20

Well everyone in my family owns atleast one gun. Well everyone in my family that I respect. (It's funny how that works, that honestly the family members that do own a gun are the ones that I'm closest with, while the other members that do not own and are against guns are actually people that I don't want to be around. Not simply because of their view on guns but because the way that act and treat everyone else.)

I've also been raised around guns my entire life, when I was 3 my dad was in the Air Force and I even remember going to the gun range with him. I know gun safety and proper handling of a gun due to the way I was raised. I also know that they are a tool for self defense. So when I turned 21 I took the CCW class.

I haven't had any one experience that has turned me to CC. I just don't plan on letting one instance make me think I should. I'd rather be prepared from the beginning. I know that there's plenty of rotten people in the world.
singlespeed20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 00:54   #394
Shadow Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsoft View Post
But my wife just calls what I said above paranoia.

yeah thats funny, my ex wife said the same thing about my suspicions on her cheating, till i caught her, lmao,

as far as me, growing up in west philly area you tend to be in the wrong places at the wrong time a lot. been shot at a few times when i was younger by crack heads and such.
Shadow Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 19:10   #395
D-GLOCK17
GLOCKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgunnut View Post
Last April (2006), I nearly became a stabbing victim in a Wal-Mart parking lot, and that was my wakeup call that I am responsible for my own safety and well being.
Wow. There are so many posts in response to this thread. There was no particular moment that I can remember, which could be listed as the reason but I will give one reason why I am glad to have my concealed carry permit.

I will probably come back and reply again to this thread. It's a good one.

Funny that AKGUNNUT should mention Wally World. Several years ago, when I was in college, a female friend and I made a late night Wal-Mart run. I guess it was somewhere around 2 a.m. After walking out of Walmart, and on the way to my vehicle, we encountered two young men. At first, it appeared to us that they were customers also, making a late night Walmart stop. Anyway, were walking in the opposite direction kind of paralled to us. Then the B-lined right to us. They were headed straight for us, at this time, it was unmistakable that they were also staring at us. One of them said to the other something to the effect of, "I'm going to do it". The partner was like, "OK". When the two guys were probably 10-20 feet from my female friend and I, the "more sensable" guy must have changed his mind and urged his pal to, "nah, let em go". When they turned and went towards the inside of Walmart, I hauled tail! I do not recall looking back, to see whether they actually went inside or got into a vehicle in the parking lot.

This event was several years ago, it was a nervous incident for me. I really don't know what their plans were. Some people are simple minded trouble makers. You never know, they could have just been taunting me and just trying to intimidate....or worse.

Notes:
1.Ok. I had a pocket name but it was in my vehicle which was probably 100 feet away, so I was unarmed.

2. Pocket knife in vehicle.

3. Was with a female, so I would not have expected her to help.

4. It was late night.

Anyways, afterwards I realized the severity of the incident. Yeah guys, I don't know what they were up to but my senses tell me that they were going to assault and/or rob me. I had never seen these guys before, so that made it more alarming.
Old 10-23-2008, 20:14   #396
Gear Up

It was the week before Christmas in 2007. Several cars in my area were broken in to.
also, in a neiborhood close to mine, a lady was killed the same night. Needless to say that did it.
Gear Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 17:50   #397
ronin308

No defining moment. Just exercising my inalienable right.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:21   #398
skankpile
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

-10 yrs ago at A&M college station (whoop) my house got robbed 2 times in 3 months
-now in my new Sugarland home there are home invasions in the neighborhood
-its popular for kids to act like a thugs and carry glocks like in rap videos, and have no concept of social contract
skankpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:02   #399
joe2golf

For me, it was probably that time when a guy stuck a revolver in my face and took my wallet. There really is such a thing as "bad breath distance." In hindsight, I feel it was actually a blessing. It has changed the way I live and look at the world around me.
joe2golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:12   #400
dusten

Send a message via MSN to dusten
Mine was when i started a family. I grew up around guns, and onboard ship in the navy worked extensivly in the armory. So i had familiarity with handguns, and how to use them. I never really had an experience that pushed me to own one though. In September of 2007 i got married after 2 years of dating. Shortly after my wife was pregnant. I now felt that I had a responsibility to my family. I bought a remington 870 for the house, and the wife bought me a G21 for myself. This summer i bought a G23 to carry, as i am away from home alot, and I now leave the 21 at home with the wife. She knows how to strip it and clean, load it, and can shoot a small enough circle that i trust her to drop someone that gets passed my rottie.
G21 - The faithful range companion #0745
G23 - The faithful concealed companion
dusten is offline   Reply With Quote