SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:27   #401
McCleary.11
Skeet Skeet!

Send a message via AIM to McCleary.11
I posted this in the normal carry forum as well.

My defining moment:

I would just like to share with you a situation I was in today that made me say. "I wish I had my gun."

I am a college student who has a part time job working with the newspaper. My job requires me to collect money from local businesses who sell the paper. At the end of each day I have to go to the bank to count my money or checks and deposit them. This is where the situation takes place.

I finished collecting my last account and pulled into the Huntington bank parking lot and get my cash ready to take in. Before I can get out of my car a full size pickup truck screeches in behind me (which blocks me in) and the driver gets out. He looks to be in his 40's wearing a ball cap and a golf polo. At this time another car pulls in quickly from the same direction. The guy driving the truck yells at the person in the car, "Why the F are you following me?!?" The guy in the car yells back, "Because you Fing cut me off you mother Fer!" The truck guy yells back and says, "Why don't you get out of your car and see what happens!" Truck guy turns away thinking its over and heads back to his truck.

I am obviously watching the situation intently and started thinking it was over when he headed back to his truck. The guy in the car must have taken it as a challenge because he gets enraged. He opens his car door and pulls out a baseball bat and slams it against the ground twice. This is when I said "I wish I had my gun."

Disclaimer: I am NOT saying that I would have done anything unless he started beating the guy. I am just saying I would not have felt as incompetent If I had it.

At this point I am dialing 911 while hoping he doesn't see me doing this (thinking he could turn on me being only 10 feet away). He then runs at the truck guy who turns around thinking he has a fight. The car guy, wearing an un-tucked white button down shirt, takes two swings at the truck guy (both misses) and loses his balance a little. The truck guy runs back to his truck and starts to drive away, but can't because of oncoming traffic on the road. The car guy gets back into his white Nissan Ultima and pulls in behind him and they both drive off quickly.

I am telling the dispatcher exactly what is happening and give him the license plate number, make/model, and driver description to the dispatcher. I tell him the cross roads where the bank is located and I tell him what direction they were headed. The dispatcher then asks, "Have both parties left unharmed?" I told him "Yes." Then he says "Okay, thanks for calling."

First let me say that I don't have my Ohio CCW yet. I HAVE taken the class and am waiting for the call from the Sheriff's office. I will not carry illegally and a trunk gun would not have helped in this case.

During the event I remember asking myself, "What am I going to do if he starts hitting this guy?" I can't take on an enraged motorist with a baseball bat. I didn't like this helpless feeling. Also, I can't believe how fast the adrenalin came into effect for me. I could feel myself getting jittery as I talked to the dispatcher and it remained after the 2 were gone.

Do you guys think the dispatcher called this in to a police unit? It didn't sound like he was going to.

All in all, I think the situation turned out as best as it could. no one got hurt and I think I was a good witness. This is what I would call my defining moment and I don't want to have to say "I wish I had my gun" ever again!

Last edited by McCleary.11; 08-06-2008 at 22:37..
McCleary.11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:37   #402
tc2

I knew 2 people killed in New Orleans,stopped a home invasion when I was 13 yrs old with my deer rifle, several of us once had a .45 pulled and pointed in our direction when we were in our teens by a drunk patron of a drive in. And this was from 1962 to 1968, and the world has gotten a lot more volatile and unsafe. I guess it's the old saying " an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
tc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:56   #403
Glock21sf-miami

+1 Barmen9122

I live in Florida and we get hit by hurricanes often enough. I am starting a family and if we are without power after a storm I don't want to have to go into hand to hand combat with a mob to protect my family and home.

I keep enough ammo at home so I can deal with any threat to my family. I wouldn't use us it we are not in grave danger (meaning somebody stealing something from my car or stealing a lawnmower), but I wouldn't hesitate if BGs invade my home and my family is in harm's way.

Last edited by Glock21sf-miami; 08-07-2008 at 11:00..
Glock21sf-miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:42   #404
Z1232K
CLM Number 260
Heavy Hauler

It's 4:30 Am, , and I made it to post #315 , needless to say, This has turned out to be a GREAT thread!!

But I'm too exhausted to read anymore.

There have been several defining moments throughout my life, none really as interesting as what I've been reading for the last 2-3 hours, but here are some of the most recent ones....

Carry Issues

Carry Issues

Carry Issues
I have an 8 year old son as well, but being a new father to a baby girl has given me a much, much, much greater sense of responsibility for my children's safety.

God bless our children.
Z1232K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 16:02   #405
Travis Morgan

Congratulations! Being a Dad is one of the coolest things I've ever gotten to do.
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 16:42   #406
melbourneman400

Great pics..

Good luck!

Mel
melbourneman400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 17:06   #407
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1232K View Post
It's 4:30 Am, , and I made it to post #315 , needless to say, This has turned out to be a GREAT thread!!

But I'm too exhausted to read anymore.

There have been several defining moments throughout my life, none really as interesting as what I've been reading for the last 2-3 hours, but here are some of the most recent ones....

Carry Issues

Carry Issues

Carry Issues
I have an 8 year old son as well, but being a new father to a baby girl has given me a much, much, much greater sense of responsibility for my children's safety.

God bless our children.
Funny how that happens, isn't it? I'm pretty much in the same place in life, and I have to say that I think about mortality more now than I ever did.

Frankly, it was the impetus to get my CCP. It has also been the driving force behind my new prepping.

It gives me a sick feeling to think of not being able to protect or feed my 2 kids.

Beautiful addition BTW!
Old 08-10-2008, 07:27   #408
Thebes

Yep, just handed our 4-month-old over to my my wife to breastfeed (the look he gives me every time I hand him over to her is always so non-plussed, like he's thinking "OK, why don't you have boobies, too? You are woefully ill-equipped here, dude."

I lived in Portland, Oregon during a time of pretty intense skinhead activity, not too long after the murder of Mulugeta Seraw by some White Aryan Resistance (WAR) thugs. The synagogue I had occasionally attended had also been sprayed with gunfire. I was doing a lot of work in the area of human rights and figured, much as I believe in fairness and equality, there are predators in this world who will always see reality as a zero-sum game; they see equal rights for some as less rights for them and will take your rights forcibly and violently - including and especially you right to simply live. They will never stop unless they are forcibly stopped and the police will seldom be around to help.

As a life-long martial artist, I also knew that there are limits to the degree that hands, feet, knees, elbows, teeth and fingernails can protect you. Sadly, there are too many martial artists (especially in the women's self-defense movement) who subscribe to this orthodoxy of "my body is my weapon". Yes, it's one weapon, but not the only one, not necessarily the best, and certainly not adequate depending on the threat.
Thebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 18:28   #409
EAGLESFANPHILA

I live in Philadelphia, PA. In 2006, there were 380 murders by handgun in the city, I believe the total was surpassed in 2007. Some of the victims were robbed and shot/killed for no reason at all. I'm not sure of the totals this year, but for this reason I carry my Glock 19 or 26 daily.
EAGLESFANPHILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 21:43   #410
Travis Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebes View Post
As a life-long martial artist, I also knew that there are limits to the degree that hands, feet, knees, elbows, teeth and fingernails can protect you. Sadly, there are too many martial artists (especially in the women's self-defense movement) who subscribe to this orthodoxy of "my body is my weapon". Yes, it's one weapon, but not the only one, not necessarily the best, and certainly not adequate depending on the threat.
I am NOT Bruce Lee. I WILL beat your ass with a fencepost, a jack handle, or whatever it takes, if it looks like I'm overmatched.

I don't look for fights, and I avoid bad places, other than the crappy neighborhoods where the indoor ranges are, but I will damn sure win, if there is any way at all for me to do so.

As for the skinheads and the like, when I lived near Bonner's Ferry, Idaho, (Ruby ridge) I couldn't believe how many of them there were up there. I was actually approached for recruitment by one of their head guys in Couer D'alene, and a friend was trying to get me to work for his buddy, making $1,500 a month, plus a house, a truck, and guns and ammo to take care of 50 head of purebred cows.
That smelled kinda fishy. Turns out, he wanted someone to keep the neighbors, at the Aryan nations headquarters, from stealing all of his stuff!

There's a reason I no longer live there.
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:00   #411
tedwhite

Sad to here about what's happened to that part of Idaho, Travis. I used to live near Kalispell, MT in the '60s and spent a couple of days in Bonner's Ferry (got snowed in) on my way to SF. As I recall, it was a sleepy little hamlet.
tedwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:55   #412
akgunnut

I am 23 years old, and a few of my friends think that I am trying to compensate for something by carrying a concealed handgun. When I was 11 years old, I dislocated my left hip joint, and its never healed right since. I can't joint the military, I can't become an LEO, and I can't practice martial arts, because I simply don't have the range of motion in my left leg. I can still walk well enough, but I can't run very long, so trying to outrun a guy hell bent on killing me may not be the best option. My only other choice is to stay and fight, and I'm not going to end up in the hospital with a dislocated and/or broken leg because I got into a scuffle. I will shoot the guy, and still be able to walk into the courtroom unharmed.

Better to be judged by 12 than be carried by 6.

Did I mention I live in a place where the human is not on the top of the food chain?

That is another reason I carry!

Last edited by akgunnut; 08-12-2008 at 05:58..
akgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:18   #413
NsMoBoy

Yesterday we learned at our Neighbors son was carjacked at gunpoint around 1:30AM. Things similar to this have been occuring around the neighborhood.

With all thats going on here, and across the country as a whole, I'm feeling more compelled to get my carry permit.

Have a lot of research to do, no clue what to get, what is a good gun, etc.
NsMoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:34   #414
tedwhite

A good first carry gun is the Glock 26. Small, 10+1 capacity, and easy to use. Just remove it from whatever type of holster you decide on, and pull the trigger. Read about it.

Good luck on passing the CCW course.
tedwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 18:17   #415
guru_I_aint
Young Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Morgan View Post
NsMoBoy,

DO NOT GET A GLOCK AS A FIRST CARRY GUN! I know this is Glocktalk, but it just isn't a good choice, in this instance.

Get a Ruger, Smith & Wesson, or Taurus J-frame revolver. Preferably with a 2 or 3" barrel. .357 would be a good choice of caliber for a new concealed carry gun. Personally, I'm considering a .44. I also don't really care whether or not anyone notices I'm carrying.

If you'd like further guidance on the subject, e-mail me.
Um... be prepared to talk to the police ALOT. You know in some states "printing" is considered brandishing. Even if it's not illegal, people's first reaction to seeing someone that might have a gun is call the cops.

Anyway, I'm sick of all this don't get an auto for your first carry gun. What but it's ok for your second? If you think about it, a Glock is just as easy to function as a DA revolver. Let's see, unholster and pull the trigger for both of them and provided there is a cartridge under the firing pin, they go off. Revolvers jam too. Granted not as often as autos but generally speaking, a new, reliable auto doesn't jam much either.

If you want to get a Glock for your first gun, go for it. They have higher capacity than revolvers (remember, J-frames only hold 5 rounds, not six), they are easier to reload than revolvers (at least without as much practice), and they are more concealable than revolvers (cause they're flat, and don't have a cylinder to bulge out).

Of course don't get me wrong, I love those little revo's. I am looking at buying a Taurus 605 2" in titanium in the near future and it will be carried as either a back up or shove in the pants gun (with a clipdraw). But I'm not carrying it because some said don't get a Glock, I'm carrying it because it's better in some situations than other guns. Just like if I can't wear a holster, I'll pack up my Kel-Tec P3AT in a pocket or ankle holster. Or if I need the absolutely thinnest handgun I own on me, my Sig P232 will be in it's Tuck This holster with a spare mag.

OK, now that that's out of the way, back to the original purpose of this thread. I carry because there are 17 page threads on why people carry. I don't go into what people would consider "hostile" environments but I do find myself doing unusual things like buying milk from the local quickie mart, or dropping off mail at the post office (I don't go in cause you aren't allowed to carry in there, like I care anyway, it's concealed right), or the always rare treat of driving to the city for whatever reason. And while none of these scenarios scream BRING A GUN (if they did, I'd bring a rifle), they are certainly all potentially situations in which I may find I need a gun. To all the people that witnessed or were involved in a bad situation, I sympathize, even though I myself have never been in one, I have had friends that were and let's just say, I never want to find out why I should have carried.

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories too, I can imagine it takes a lot of courage and strength to come through a hairy mess but just know that your struggles are persuading alot of people to pick up arms legally in the first place, so they won't have to go through it too. I mean really you could say that you've not only saved your life, but anyone else's that has read this thread.

Shoot until they can't say stop. :devilish:
guru_I_aint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:05   #416
ForceRecon67

I decided to carry about 6 years ago, when out jogging in my relatively nice neighborhood I happened to make a turn to a large street. As I was jogging by the Post Office I witnessed a drive by across the street. The passenger in a beat up compact car with Mexico plates ( I live in Phoenix ) triggered off 5 shots into an apartment complex. As the vehicle turned to speed away, the passenger unloaded another 8 shots into the air. The car was headed East to the freeway onramp, and I was jogging East, so he had a great shot of me as he passed. Had I been unlucky, I wouldn't be writing this. Had he been unlucky, I would have been armed and he would have taken a shot at someone.
ForceRecon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 13:12   #417
RussP

The purpose of this thread is to tell about what caused you to get your carry permit.

It is not for discussing the merits of the .22 vs. .44 magnum for self defense.

It is not for discussing the quality of training people receive.

Please stay on topic.

Thanks

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 13:09   #418
Furyataurus

Send a message via AIM to Furyataurus
I decided to carry because it's up to me to defend myself and to be able to protect others who can't defend themselves as well. Its also about RESPONSIBILITY also, I know I'm responsible for everything that pistol does when its in my hands as well as the bullets that leave the barrel. I feel I'm responsible enough to carry.
Marlin 336C 30-30
Furyataurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:20   #419
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

just wanted to share a wish i had my gun story,

I was out with a friend, driving around town, at around 12am.

i had just turned onto a small side street, when i saw somebody cross the street infront of me, i slowed down, and saw what looked like a staff in his hands... my friend was gawkign at him, thinking it was some kid that was mad at him, and didnt tell me to keep driving, so i continued to drive slowly for a few seconds. the guy(maybe 18years old) then grabbed thepassenger door, adn opened it. i then saw that it was a 10lb sledge hammer, not a staff.

he then asked where "sylvester"(have toclue who that is) was, and where he went etc. he reeked of cigar smoke, and alcohal. he may have been high of somethign as well.

beign in a stick situation i was kinda "tiptoeing" it was too late for me to just floor it, so i just "jumped to his side" and said somethign to the effect of "yeah, just up ahead, right past my high beams, went to the right! hurry!"
and then asked multiple times, if we could drive him up there, to find him, so i made an excuse about havign to go back the other way, "to pick of a friend, since sylvester owed him money" so i finally convinced the kid to move along. we then left.
earlyer in the day we had seen tons of cops around. now we couldnt find one. we didnt know the local police number, and weren't sure it would be ok to call 911 without an emediate emergency on hand.

so 45 mins passed without finding a cop anywhere, so we called it a night.
i still feel guilty that we didnt do more to have the kid caught.

i sure wished i would have been able to have my glock on the center console! but a feel i learned a little bit, in the valueble area of defusing a situation, even though at the time, he wasnt mad at my friend or i.
not to mention that driving around dark streets late at night isn't the most wise choice.
geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:12   #420
ssg_craven
Infidel

Send a message via Yahoo to ssg_craven
I decided to get my carry permit after returning from my second tour in Iraq. I had just developed a sense of security having a weapon on me 24/7 and felt naked without one. Now I never leave the house without one...of course Im usually stalking around the apartment with a pistol/rifle now too!
ssg_craven is offline   Reply With Quote