GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2008, 09:08   #421
whoflungdo
Senior Member
 
whoflungdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: MS
Posts: 6,407
I got my CCW because: I worked late one night and our offices were in a bad part of town. A homeless guy came in, stole my jacket and tools and ran out. It happened so fast that we couldn't do anything. A coworker and I took off after him in my vehicle. It was legal to carry a loaded firearm in you car at that time. We caught up with the guy and got my tools back as he dropped them when he saw us. He took off again. I would not have shot at him unless I felt threatened. I left my firearm in the car as at the time I did not have a permit and would have been breaking the law by carrying outside my home, place of business, or motor vehicle. I didn't want to be in that situation again.

The biggest reason I still have my CCW is because I believe if we do not practice a right, it can and may be taken away from us. I also believe it is my responsibility to protect myself and my family to the best of my ability.
whoflungdo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 18:36   #422
joeslide
Member
 
joeslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 29
I got my CCW because my 70 year old father married a 34 year old METH addict/prostitute and moved 2 doors down. No joke.
joeslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 20:06   #423
Travis Morgan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Wichita, Ks.
Posts: 175
Well, hell! I guess, if it makes him happy......... I just hope he doesn't squander his estate on her worthless ass. Wanna do something funny? Get her a bag of black jelly beans for EVERY gift giving occassion. She won't get it, no matter HOW bad the "meth mouth" gets!
__________________
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:40   #424
Bigboss86
Member
 
Bigboss86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 30
I live near a bad area, and drive down to miami for work. I can't have it on me at work, but if I need to stop at the gas station, its not the most friendly atmosphere. Lots of bums, some of them are unsteady so you never know what to expect.
__________________
G23
Kal-tec P3AT

"Would the boy you were be proud of the man you are?"
Bigboss86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 18:48   #425
winchester62
Senior Member
 
winchester62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,425


Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Morgan View Post
Once my back went completely to hell, and I had to give up shoeing horses, I figured hand to hand fighting was out, so I finally got serious about handguns. I even did IDPA for a while, and my range sessions were generally about 500 rounds a week. (I reload) Surprisingly, my wife never griped too much about the money I spent on shooting. I guess, since I hardly ever go to the titty bar, she thinks we're saving money, now. She even started shooting a little, despite being severely cross dominant, having huge boobs, and short arms.
Hmmm. Any relationship between these two thoughts?


Anyway-

I grew up shooting/hunting and my dad nearly always carried. I never remember him ever "needing" it, but I always felt safer because of his snubby in his belt. I started carrying shortly after turning 21. I've never "needed" it so far either, but in the few situations my ccw could have become useful, I was able to extricate myself from the situation before it got bad. One was being cased for a robbery outside a covenience store out in the country in broad daylight. I was able to get in the car and leave before the guy got the jump on me.

The other time was when a guy came walking toward me at a stoplight near the gas station I just left. He threw a rock that hit my passenger window. When I looked to see what the noise was and noticed him, he was coming at me with his hand in his waistband! I don't know what his issue was or if he was bluffing with his hand, but I was drawing my weapon when thankfully the light changed and the cars I was boxed in by pulled away. Needless to say, since he was on foot and I was in the car, I just hauled tail with the rest of the traffic! Hopefully this trend will continue! I try to never go to unsafe areas and always watch my surroundings, but you never know...
__________________
People who shop at Walmart get what they pay for.

Last edited by winchester62; 09-05-2008 at 19:26..
winchester62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 18:59   #426
Detectorist
Senior Member
 
Detectorist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 8,087
I used to live in the St. Louis, MO area. Lived there for 17 years. During that period I had 6 friends murdered. 4 by gun fire. Any questions?


John
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 21:33   #427
rico6787
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Arizona baby!
Posts: 56
its a right i posses and if i have that right i will take advantage of it, plus i would rather be safe than sorry, i dont want to look back and say "if only i had a gun".......
rico6787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 13:54   #428
Sam Haight
JARHEAD
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Liberty City
Posts: 90
Because I moved into a happy little place called Bridgeport, CT.
Sam Haight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 18:16   #429
Oneiros
Senior Member
 
Oneiros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
I used to live in the St. Louis, MO area. Lived there for 17 years. During that period I had 6 friends murdered. 4 by gun fire. Any questions?


John
What kind of friends were they? Not trying to be insulting, but I mean were they just average joe construction workers or lived in a bad part of town or what? That's insane!
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 19:10   #430
Detectorist
Senior Member
 
Detectorist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 8,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiros View Post
What kind of friends were they? Not trying to be insulting, but I mean were they just average joe construction workers or lived in a bad part of town or what? That's insane!
I can understand your question.

Robin and Julie Kerry College students. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_Gray Robin was a part-time server at Denny's. I used to give them a ride when it was snowing.

Joanne Lispcombe Police Officer. http://www.odmp.org/reflections.php?oid=165

Jennifer Dye - waitress. She lived behind my building. I heard her screams. Pretty young gal. She was a sweetie. Murdered by her husband.

Another friend was someone who played poker at my table. David Yang. We went out to a few bars and he never let me pay. He was known to carry lots of cash. Shot in his garage in a nice area. Nicest guy in the world.

Mike Tivoli. Mudered by his Uncle 3 days before graduating from college. One of my best friend's sons.

None of these were in the 'bad' part of town.

Last edited by Detectorist; 12-24-2008 at 15:48..
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 19:54   #431
Wags_G19
Member
 
Wags_G19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Smyrna, GA
Posts: 39


Wow, I feel like I just read a novel.
I have been following this thread for the last week or so and finally got through all the threads...

Well, here is the reason I applied for my GFL (Georgia Firearms Lisc.) three weeks ago.

I am listing 3 recent incidences...and one from a few years back. I have had some more over the last 25 years, but lived in Illinois and Ohio where I couldn't carry. I now live in Georgia and can carry!

First incidence...
May 2008 - 2:30AM...I am home in bed...sound asleep. I live in a nice area in the burbs of ATL. I have a security system but do not always turn it on at night. Well, this night I had not turned it on. I am a pretty sound sleeper and have a hard time waking up to my alarm clock, but this night I woke up instantly to the entry beeps from my alarm system. (When window or door is open...the alarm key pad has two beeps). I thought at first I was dreaming, but then I heard them again. I was up instantly. I laid there a minute and looked at the key pad on the bedroom wall...the green light went off again. I should have just called 911, but I jumped out of bed and started yelling, "Who's there!" I started turning on lights inside and out...I then called 911 and they LEO's were here within about 5 minutes. They walked around my place and we found someone had cut my rear screen door and tried entering through the sliding glass door. The burglar bar stopped entry.

Second incidence...
June 2008 - I was at a red light at about 1:00AM in my new F150. Very few cars on the road...and a car pulls up next to me. (I am in the right lane) I glance over and see 3 people in the car staring at me. I immediately looked strait ahead as I didn't want to be "eye balling" these thugs. When the light turns green I start to drive down the road and the car stays at my side or a little behind me in the left lane. I am approaching the Interstate and turn on my turn signal. The car to the left of me speeds up and cuts in front of me to get on the on ramp. As we are heading down the on ramp, the car speeds up a head of me...as I reach a speed of about 45 MPH the car slams on his breaks and stops. I slam on my to avoid rear ending him and stop about 20 feet behind the car. There are curbs to my left and right and tall grass on the on ramp. Then the back seat passenger jumps out of the car...I see his eyes and the look in them and then I see the gun. My instincts kick in and I floor it to the left of the car...the guy with the gun was on the right side. I hop the curb and start driving through the grass to pass the car. I get back onto the on ramp and floored it...In my rear view mirror I see the guy get back into the car. I got up to about 110 MPH on the interstate and could see the head lights behind me...I was hoping to get stopped by a LEO at the time. I drove about 7 miles on a deserted Interstate and got off at my off ramp...the car never got off behind me. Needless to say this really go my attention. Even if I had my G19 with me at the time, I would have done the same thing driving away...but this situation made me think more about my personal safety.

Third incidence...
August 2008 - 9PM (just after dusk)...went into local gas station about 1 mile from my home to pick up a pack of smokes (I know bad habit). When leaving, I saw a guy quickly approaching me. I moved a little quicker and jumped into my truck. When trying to shut the door, a hand grabs the door to hold it open. I looked at the guy and said "what the F are you doing"...he responded...I have transmission problems and you are going to help me...I replied...the h*** I am and said if he wants to keep his fingers he better get his hand off my door and then began to slam my door...he let go at the last second and started cussing at me and spit on my window. I was furious...drove about a block away and called 911. I ended up meeting with the LEO's and they told me the guy was on probation and had a long wrap sheet.

Incidence about 5 years ago - My cousin and his family were attacked in a home invasion at 3AM in his home...My cousin had to have 45 stitches and his wife had over 100 stitches from a knife attacking home invader...the bad guy got away after the fight...thank goodness they were not killed. My cousin had a gun, but it was locked in a safe and could not access it during the attack.

So, with these three recent incidences in the last few months and my cousins home invasion from a few years ago, I decided it was time! I was encouraged big time by two of my good LEO friends. Hopefully I will receive my Lisc. in the coming weeks!

Wags_G19
Glock 19
NRA Member
GCO Member (Georgia Carry.Org)
Wags_G19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:37   #432
B1rd
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags_G19 View Post
Wow, I feel like I just read a novel.
I have been following this thread for the last week or so and finally got through all the threads...

Well, here is the reason I applied for my GFL (Georgia Firearms Lisc.) three weeks ago.

I am listing 3 recent incidences...and one from a few years back. I have had some more over the last 25 years, but lived in Illinois and Ohio where I couldn't carry. I now live in Georgia and can carry!

First incidence...
May 2008 - 2:30AM...I am home in bed...sound asleep. I live in a nice area in the burbs of ATL. I have a security system but do not always turn it on at night. Well, this night I had not turned it on. I am a pretty sound sleeper and have a hard time waking up to my alarm clock, but this night I woke up instantly to the entry beeps from my alarm system. (When window or door is open...the alarm key pad has two beeps). I thought at first I was dreaming, but then I heard them again. I was up instantly. I laid there a minute and looked at the key pad on the bedroom wall...the green light went off again. I should have just called 911, but I jumped out of bed and started yelling, "Who's there!" I started turning on lights inside and out...I then called 911 and they LEO's were here within about 5 minutes. They walked around my place and we found someone had cut my rear screen door and tried entering through the sliding glass door. The burglar bar stopped entry.

Second incidence...
June 2008 - I was at a red light at about 1:00AM in my new F150. Very few cars on the road...and a car pulls up next to me. (I am in the right lane) I glance over and see 3 people in the car staring at me. I immediately looked strait ahead as I didn't want to be "eye balling" these thugs. When the light turns green I start to drive down the road and the car stays at my side or a little behind me in the left lane. I am approaching the Interstate and turn on my turn signal. The car to the left of me speeds up and cuts in front of me to get on the on ramp. As we are heading down the on ramp, the car speeds up a head of me...as I reach a speed of about 45 MPH the car slams on his breaks and stops. I slam on my to avoid rear ending him and stop about 20 feet behind the car. There are curbs to my left and right and tall grass on the on ramp. Then the back seat passenger jumps out of the car...I see his eyes and the look in them and then I see the gun. My instincts kick in and I floor it to the left of the car...the guy with the gun was on the right side. I hop the curb and start driving through the grass to pass the car. I get back onto the on ramp and floored it...In my rear view mirror I see the guy get back into the car. I got up to about 110 MPH on the interstate and could see the head lights behind me...I was hoping to get stopped by a LEO at the time. I drove about 7 miles on a deserted Interstate and got off at my off ramp...the car never got off behind me. Needless to say this really go my attention. Even if I had my G19 with me at the time, I would have done the same thing driving away...but this situation made me think more about my personal safety.

Third incidence...
August 2008 - 9PM (just after dusk)...went into local gas station about 1 mile from my home to pick up a pack of smokes (I know bad habit). When leaving, I saw a guy quickly approaching me. I moved a little quicker and jumped into my truck. When trying to shut the door, a hand grabs the door to hold it open. I looked at the guy and said "what the F are you doing"...he responded...I have transmission problems and you are going to help me...I replied...the h*** I am and said if he wants to keep his fingers he better get his hand off my door and then began to slam my door...he let go at the last second and started cussing at me and spit on my window. I was furious...drove about a block away and called 911. I ended up meeting with the LEO's and they told me the guy was on probation and had a long wrap sheet.

Incidence about 5 years ago - My cousin and his family were attacked in a home invasion at 3AM in his home...My cousin had to have 45 stitches and his wife had over 100 stitches from a knife attacking home invader...the bad guy got away after the fight...thank goodness they were not killed. My cousin had a gun, but it was locked in a safe and could not access it during the attack.

So, with these three recent incidences in the last few months and my cousins home invasion from a few years ago, I decided it was time! I was encouraged big time by two of my good LEO friends. Hopefully I will receive my Lisc. in the coming weeks!

Wags_G19
Glock 19
NRA Member
GCO Member (Georgia Carry.Org)
Wow, statistically you should be safe the rest of your life and a few others also.
B1rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 14:28   #433
Doc Blase
Member
 
Doc Blase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 69
An armed robbery, a friend murdered, and my job.

Back in high school a friend and I were walking over to his house when two odd-looking guys walked by us going the other way. A few seconds later a voice behind us ordered us to put our hands up and turn around.

We faced two runaway kids with a .45 and a knife. These two moved closer and relieved us of our wallets. I'll never forget the feeling of standing there at their mercy.

About a year later a co-worker of my mom's was ambushed outside of the Portland Oregon Taco House, kidnapped out to the woods, and shot dead because he wasn't able to open the safe inside the resteraunt.

I reacted by enrolling as a Law Enforcement major in college.

Now, 30 years later I'm a licensed professional investigator, I work alone doing accident and evidence photography, witness locates and defendant summons service. A few months ago, a PI was beaten to death in Colorado by a defendant who used a baseball bat to express his displeasure at having been served.

Though I sometimes carry a Taser or pepper spray, there are other times that the G21 feels more appropriate for the situation. My armed endorsement cost me about $350 in ammo, license and exam fees and was worth every buck.
Doc Blase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 21:38   #434
wbgolden
Senior Member
 
wbgolden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 141
Pretty simple. The criminals and their guns are getting closer it seems like daily to my home and surrounding area.

Avoid them at all costs, but be prepared if you can't, says I.
wbgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 16:42   #435
RonnyGunz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4
Why I carry.

About 3 years ago, I got a warning from our backup power system to let me know that the power had gone out at work. Being the closest to work, I had to go in and supervise the shut down of the non-essential systems. We do a lot of personal data, so it's important that the storage systems stay online, and that the backups don't just shut off

When I get to the area, there's about a three block radius that the power is out. No further than that, but there are no active street lights in the area. It's near black outside and the emergency lights are online inside, leaving huge gaps around the office. I drive a loop around the office, but I don't see any other cars or any indication that anyone else is there. I turn on my flashlight and navigate to the server room. I make sure that the essential systems are online, and everything else shuts down.

I'm starting to make a last rounds before I let my boss know that everything is good to go and I see a van outside. I'm freaking out because the alarm is turned off (since I was walking around) and I saw know one in the van. I pull out my knife and turn off my flashlight, and I see this light in the executive offices, I move in to see what he's doing and my heart is pounding. I turn on my light and give the guy a heart attack, after his face stops contorting, I recognize him as our late-night janitor. I'd met him only a couple of times before.

I apologized and moved on, and vowed that I'd never be in that situation again, without a weapon. It took me way longer than it should have, but I have my permit now, and my Glock 17 goes everywhere I go.

Thanks for your stories before, I don't seem to be alone in feeling the way I do anymore.
RonnyGunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 19:02   #436
Caustic Mopar
Senior Member
 
Caustic Mopar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Charles Town, WV
Posts: 213
1st defining moment was when i was 15, i grew up in a military family, Dad was AF and we got stationed in Myrtle Beach SC. Well one night after a week of 2adays (all day football practice) a buddie asked me if i wanted to come with him out to the pier and hangout. Wile walking to the pier as my buddie lived about 5 blocks away from the beach a mustang pulls up and 2 guys mid 20's get out and ask us how to get to a pier about 10 miles up the beach. Well us being 15 had no idea how to drive to that pier. they thought we were tourists and started to beet us up. I was able to get away and get help but my buddie was beaten and left in a ditch. cops were called but no arrests were made.

2nd defining moment was when i accepted a Job as a Special Police Officer at a Embassy in Washington DC.

I now have a G21 in a M.T.A.C. iwb and a surefire 6p that i never leave home without.
Caustic Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 17:53   #437
burnsoft
Member
 
burnsoft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 68
Send a message via AIM to burnsoft
Grew up in a terrible city only a few blocks from the getto, but the rest of the city was filled with gang violence. Since I was 11 there were a lot of times that I had to get from one place to another on my own, bus bike or walk. And I knew what went on in most of the city so I protected my self with every means that was legal to me at the time, martial arts, plus pocket knife till I was 14, which then I upgrade to throwing knives that were still legal to carry. Pretty much kept with the motto of “defend yourself or die trying.” Pretty much kept with that pattern ever since. 18 also bought a rifle, and at 21 bought a handgun.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Even though I moved to a nice place when I was 18, violence spreads like a virus and now in cities in my area are starting to remind me of things back when I was younger. Plus now I have to drive from place to place, I wouldn’t know if I drifted into a bad area of town until it was too late. Knives can only do so much from a distance, but I also have my family to protect as well now and it’s comforting to know that I can level the playing field is something occurred, that is if they are not packing a rocket launcher.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
But my wife just calls what I said above paranoia.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
burnsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:53   #438
BondGirl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 142
Last year I moved in with my sister we live a bit out in the country. Our nieghbor behind us is also a single Mom. One day she and her boyfriend get into it and he tried to choke her. She wound up running over to our house and leaving her 3 small boys in the house with him. After calling the police my sister and I go to her house to get the boys. Lucky for us he had left but it still took the police more than a half hour to respond. After that I learned to shoot and got my CCW. I would rather know how to take care of myself and my family then to have something happen.
The other reason is because I work back off a main road and the shift I work there is only 4 women on and no security and I leave at 11:30pm.
BondGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 15:15   #439
d3athp3nguin
Senior Member
 
d3athp3nguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 819
Wow- lots of great stories here!

Yea, being cautious after being victimized is totally acceptable in this society. Try to be prepared beforehand, and you're considered paranoid.
__________________
"The foolishness of that comment is so deep, I can only ascribe it to higher education. You HAVE to have gone to college to say something that stupid."
~Radio talk show host
d3athp3nguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:31   #440
LApm9
Senior Member
 
LApm9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 538
I am a little, sorta plump, middle aged guy, with a cheerful demeanor (and a bit of close quarters training). This spells "victim". After fending off two attempted strong arm assaults, I read a blog entry where a fellow wrote that it is our duty to exercise our right to go armed if we can, as, by doing so we make a show of our numbers. The second point the fellow made was that, by going armed, we make the bad actors of the world fearful that an armed citizen might be present when they make their move, and thus suppress crime non-violently.

Since that time (eight years) I have had three incidents, where the suspect abruptly withdrew when I grasped the grip of my weapon:

- A disheveled man rapidly emerges from the shadows and makes a bee-line for me as I fill up (only car) at a gas pump at night. He stops and rapidly goes back the way he came.

- While walking in a "nice part" of a high crime city, a chap on a bicycle passes by my son and I three times, giving us a looking over each time. He then goes past us and zooms behind a wall at a deserted gas station along our path...and doesn't come out. When we are about seven yards away, he pokes his head around the corner, notes that my gaze is on him, and jerks back. We hear the crash as he apparently drops his bicycle, and then he zooms away like a million fleas were after him.

- My wife and I emerge from a hiking trail on the edge of a medium size city and approach our car at the trail head. Ours is the only car. There is a scruffy looking chap, peeking at us, hidden behind our car. My hand goes to my weapon and I start moving laterally to cover and he flees on a bicycle.

Maybe nothing was going to happen, but perhaps due to the nonverbal signals an armed and ready man sends out, nothing did happen. This is a good thing!
LApm9 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:21.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,098
279 Members
819 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42