Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-02-2008, 14:40   #481
mnorton
nom nom nom nom

Being in a liquor store that was robbed later the same day. Clerk was killed and two customers were shot. As far as I know, they never caught the guy.
mnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:20   #482
Roofuss
Roofuss

Wife and I both work at the same place,and drive together late at night on a rather long ,lonely and dark highway. The road we used is lightly traveled at night, and have seen too many nutty things happen over the past 14 years while traveling. Made the decision to both get our ccp's last year, and carry all the time now. She has a Taurus M85 .38 spec. with a Crimson lazer, I carry a Glock 27 . 40 S/W . She felt more at ease with the " wheel gun " and is a damn good shot, ta boot !
Roofuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:47   #483
newjerseybt
NRA Member

My defining moment was in 1975 when I was face to face with three armed men during a 1001 Auto Parts robbery in Elmwood Park, N.J. When that 12 gauge swung in my direction, my knees instantly turned to jello and I hit the floor with about 25 other patrons.

Since that time I wanted a CCP but it was/is off limits in New Jersey. I had to have a special permit to even purchase a BB pistol which must be signed by the Chief of Police!

I have since moved to PA and have decided to never again be in a position to be executed. Just got my G19 and the CCP is in the works for this coming week.
newjerseybt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 19:05   #484
Scared_of_zombies

I can't believe after reading the 20 pages of stories (which took several hours and really got me depressed) that no one has made the wise crack "Because carrying a cop would be too heavy."

I turned 21 and am constantly being sized up by the real and fake gangsta's (of all colors). I have also never been in a situation where i wished i didn't have my gun but have been in many where i didnt have one (i was too young) and wanted one.
Scared_of_zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:37   #485
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjerseybt View Post
My defining moment was in 1975 when I was face to face with three armed men during a 1001 Auto Parts robbery in Elmwood Park, N.J. When that 12 gauge swung in my direction, my knees instantly turned to jello and I hit the floor with about 25 other patrons.

Since that time I wanted a CCP but it was/is off limits in New Jersey. I had to have a special permit to even purchase a BB pistol which must be signed by the Chief of Police!

I have since moved to PA and have decided to never again be in a position to be executed. Just got my G19 and the CCP is in the works for this coming week.
Welcome to Glock Talk and to the fraternal order of armed citizenry, newjerseybt. As Standing Wolf says: May you always have a gun close to hand, and may you never need to use it.
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:01   #486
boricua

Primarily, because there might be a few disgruntled former employees walking the streets that may want to take a whack at my head. Second, I work downtown and I'm exposed to all kinds of punks, wannabes and routine city crimes.
boricua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:46   #487
Facejackets

Well I have wanted a CCW since I found out they existed when I was 16. I thought it was "cool" at the time.

Fast forward 5 years, now I work in a kind of shady part of town. I own a Glock 17. I keep it locked in my car, since it is legal here. But my store has had a lot of thefts, and we are a high dollar retailer, and at times I have up to or more than $4000 in my cash drawer, and I don't feel like being robbed and not being able to protect myself. I KNOW it is going to happen to. Especially the way things are going with the economy, people in the neighborhood of my store are getting more and more desperate.

And, I need to get my CCW for the police academy...hopefully I'll get in!
Facejackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 21:57   #488
southernreign

My brother made me! Seriously. I bartended at my parents wedding/ sports bar club in PA. It was not in the best of neighborhoods. My brother said he wanted me to go through the training, he would feel better about 'me armed there'
I was glad I did, because one night we had some locals tell us about our place about to be 'hit', we had two thugs sure enough come in one went to the back of the hall as a 'look out man', the other came right up to me at the bar, I knew what was about to happen, he walked up to me at the bar, pulled a gun and pointed at my head, and said, 'give me your money!' My brother was sitting at the bar and had his .45 pointed right at his head and inch away, and said, 'boy, you stepped into the wrong place.' At the same time, the guy in the back of the room flinched, he had three guys on top of him before he knew what happened.
My brother had a habbit of having every employee armed in that place. We had 8 guys just in that room waiting. Praise the lord I did not die that night.
I was glad I was armed, still, I felt helpless, did not even have a chance to be in a defense position.
Well, here in Charlotte, NC, home invasions are at an all time high, I hear record high nationally. But do not know if that is true. I had a Police officer encourage me to get re-licensed (Which I thought was strange-and self telling). He said crime was far worse than what is stated on the news.
I let my license expire in 2002 after I moved to NC, and have had to re-apply now and am waiting for it.
It is Day 4!
southernreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 22:01   #489
southernreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjerseybt View Post

Yeah, Jersey is a safe place to be a criminal, kind of like Illinois, and DC.

Welcome to PA. Nice place to live.
Old 12-14-2008, 22:33   #490
southernreign

State where you live too all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NsMoBoy View Post
Yesterday we learned at our Neighbors son was carjacked at gunpoint around 1:30AM. Things similar to this have been occuring around the neighborhood.

With all thats going on here, and across the country as a whole, I'm feeling more compelled to get my carry permit.

Have a lot of research to do, no clue what to get, what is a good gun, etc.

Great stories, but many lacking where they happen (state-town) and where they are getting there Carry license at.
Old 12-25-2008, 16:43   #491
PriapismSD
Free Sarcasm

There were a couple moments that were important:

I was out dancing at a bar, think it was called The Jug, and this girl I met named Linda. Then in walked a man, with a gun in his hand and he was looking for, well, you know who. He made fun of my blonde hair and told me that was his woman there, he does in fact care, and this might be all for me.
Well I was scared, and pretty much just shaking, as he was big and mean, big and bad, and pointing his gun at ME! So I explained to him, wait a minute sir, I didn't even kiss her, so I asked if he could allow me one favor. I figured if I had a short head start, maybe only a few steps, that would be the last he would see of my. But I can tell you, after staring down that big hole in the barrel (it had to be a .44), they could hear me screaming from a mile away as I ran for the door.

The second time, I met a few people that seemed nice. One was an actress, one a college professor, one a pretty simple farm girl, and a well-to-do elderly couple. We decided to take a little boat ride outside the harbor with the ship's captain and first mate, and it was only supposed to be a 3 hour tour.
A three hour tour.
I can't go into the details, but it wasn't for the actions of the fearless crew, the boat would be lost. Thank Gawd everyone packed dozens of changes of clothes and neverending batteries to power the radio.

We did get to meet the Harlem Globetrotters, though.
Consult your physician to see if the 'Pism is right for you. Symptoms may include euphoria, smugness, moistness, and increased sarcasm levels. Discontinue use if you experience nausea, vomiting, or a condition lasting longer than 4 hours. Your mileage may vary, first time buyers are welcome, and wait at least 30 minutes before swimming. See our ad in this month's Cosmo, net weight before cooking.
PriapismSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 17:20   #492
rvrctyrngr
Senior Moment

Don't quit your day job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
-Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes Brown v. United States, 1921
rvrctyrngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 17:51   #493
ExtraTitanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriapismSD View Post
I can't go into the details, but it wasn't for the actions of the fearless crew, the boat would be lost. Thank Gawd everyone packed dozens of changes of clothes and neverending batteries to power the radio.
I'm guessing pirates tried to plunder your booty.
ExtraTitanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 18:23   #494
doublehorse

I got a CCW because I moved from Kommiefornia to Nevada
doublehorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 19:29   #495
Poppa Bear
CLM Number 45
Protective G'pa

Because at the time it was a wife and a daughter. Now it is a wife, 2 daughters, 2 sons, and 3 grandchildren.

That is the reason for my user name, Poppa Bear can be very dangerous if you want to hurt his mate or his cubs.
"The Second Amendment is not about duck hunting, and I know I'm not going to make very many friends saying this, but it's about our right, all of our right to be able to protect ourselves from all of you guys up there." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp, appearing before Representative Charles Schumer's committee hearings on the assault weapons ban
Poppa Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:33   #496
AmbulanceMonkee
Medic

Send a message via AIM to AmbulanceMonkee
Defining moment? About the time the one skell who was already in my face as I was trying to get myself and my girlfriend into my car and leave looked at the other skell sitting in the truck parked next to me and said "Hey, (whatever), get the gun." As I never saw it, and they left when I called the police, I figure they didn't actually have a gun, but I would have felt a bit better about the situation if I had one of my own. I'm don't believe I would have done anything different if I was armed, but I really didn't like the feeling of wondering what the hell I was going to do if they did produce a gun, as I stood there with only a folding knife clipped to my pocket.

The girlfriend from that story remained anti-gun after that incident and eventually became an ex. I've since met another wonderful woman, and have been seeing her for about a year. I applied for my pistol permit here in NY about a month after breaking up with the first girl, and the new girlfriend turned in her own application a few months ago. She has her eyes on a S&W 642 for her carry gun, and she'll be getting one for her birthday in July, assuming she has her permit by then.
AmbulanceMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 19:32   #497
kingd

Defining moment was for my wife last night and re enforced moment for me,

I pulled up to the atm at our bank and the wife jumped out to make a deposit while I waited in the car(no one around and she was in plain sight),Then a car came up quickly and a guy jumped out and headed towards the my wife fast.He did not see me until I opened my door and jumped out,as soon as he seen me he turned around and ran back to his car and took off.

As far as I can tell This guy must have thought that she was alone and an easy target.

Shook her up a bit.
kingd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 20:07   #498
g23md

I'm a pretty passive guy, and though I grew up hunting and can handle a rifle and shotgun as well as the next fellow, I had never owned a handgun. I recently built a car wash, and am often there late at night working (after my day job). There were just too many guys wandering around who looked like they had no business being there. My wife is no fan of guns, but she worried about me working late at the car wash, and when I told her I was thinking of getting a concealed carry permit she blew me away by essentially telling me to do it, and do it now. A Glock 23 and a Crossbreed IWB later I'm feeling much better. I've got the hardware, now I'm working hard on improving my skills. Maybe that's reverse order, but I'll get there.
g23md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 20:23   #499
Poppa Bear
CLM Number 45
Protective G'pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by g23md View Post
I've got the hardware, now I'm working hard on improving my skills. Maybe that's reverse order, but I'll get there.
There is no wrong order, what is important is you recognizing that you need the extra training to better understand the legal issues and the skills issues of carrying a firearm. There are too many out there that carry with little or no training in the use of weapons either mentally or physically.

Everyone does not need to drop a couple of grand on the premier schools just to become qualified, but taking the time to read up on the subject and take at least a couple of simple classes dealing with the legal issues or marksmanship training cannot hurt.
"The Second Amendment is not about duck hunting, and I know I'm not going to make very many friends saying this, but it's about our right, all of our right to be able to protect ourselves from all of you guys up there." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp, appearing before Representative Charles Schumer's committee hearings on the assault weapons ban
Poppa Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 20:35   #500
ragu1macrider
Deceased

Send a message via AIM to ragu1macrider Send a message via Yahoo to ragu1macrider
Just turned 21, 42 years ago, Had my 1st really good job at WT Grant Dept Store. Manager and I used to take the deposit to the bank every nite, he carried, I didn't. Eventually he allowed me to take the deposit to the bank...told me to get a gun. I got an old German Luger 7.65 from my FIL and made a shoulder rig for it.
I have carried every day that I lived in PA since then. I moved to OH for 2 years. didn't carry on my person for those 2 years but always hay a gun with me at home, in the car, or at work.
In all these years I've only had 4 occasions where I felt threatened enough that I was happy to have my gun on me. 3 times with my wife present, multiple thugs acting foolishly, just had to show the gun holster and that deminished the threat. 1 time alone in the car a punk pulled up beside me and held up a 25 auto, the windows were down, I said "that's cute", and held up my 4516. and he peeled rubber. I turned in his license number but never heard anything.
ragu1macrider is offline   Reply With Quote