Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:16   #561
Glock19_11

I carry because i refuse to become a victim when I have the power/tools to prevent it. I don't want to be another statistic.
Glock19_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:19   #562
advdes45

The Columbine tragedy and the way the Clinton administration exploited it before the kid's bodies were even cold. That's when I bought my first gun.
advdes45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:51   #563
lineoffire

i was working at a car rental agency in Miami...without notice a group of local dirtbags held my office at gunpoint and a 9mm at my head while i cleane dout the cash drawer. Long story short, nobody got hurt and cops were there in minutes...but i refuse to be taken out by some punk with an itchy finger. i have a family now, and i know that push comes to shove and my life or theirs is on the line..there will be no hesitation.
lineoffire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:20   #564
_JR_
JR is the name

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineoffire View Post
i was working at a car rental agency in Miami...without notice a group of local dirtbags held my office at gunpoint and a 9mm at my head while i cleane dout the cash drawer. Long story short, nobody got hurt and cops were there in minutes...but i refuse to be taken out by some punk with an itchy finger. i have a family now, and i know that push comes to shove and my life or theirs is on the line..there will be no hesitation.
I like how you think and this is very true.
_JR_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:33   #565
turksteelman

Was in the Jack in the box drive thru a month or so ago. There was a car in front of me going to order with 2 cars in front of him. The guy that should be ordering decides he wants to leave. I can't back up because there are 2 cars behind me. He is ranting and raving and finally the 2 cars behind me back out and I did likewise. That wasn't enough for this gang banger kid about 28 yrs old. He pulled up next to my car which is now trapped in the line, got out of his car and is screaming and hollering for me to come out so he can kill me. I ignored him but felt totally vulnerable to his threats. I will never, ever, feel that way again. Where I go, my Glock 19 goes. If he would have broken in my window there was little I could have done as he was a big dude. This will never happen again. Since then I am in training mode with my Glock.
turksteelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 18:16   #566
mikegun

nothing very dramatic made me start carrying a gun, it happened the frist day i became a Calif cop,and i had no choice in the matter, i was ordered to carry a gun 24-7, those were the rules, i have carried a gun everyday for almost 30yrs.... i used my gun three times in all that time....

Last edited by mikegun; 06-26-2009 at 18:18..
mikegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 19:25   #567
FrogWithAGlock
Girl with a Gun

I have always been pro2A (and the rest of the Constitution, Bill of rights, etc), but never thought I'd have a gun. Shot them a few times, no issues, just never thought about it. In recent years, started considering it, if I could keep my kids safe first and foremost.

Last November, hubby asked if I wanted a gun for Christmas. I jumped on it and said yes, then went out and bought my Glock 19. Hubby figured it would be stored in the attic, just so we'd have one, if they became outlawed.

I, however, do not believe you should have a gun, and not be trained to use it. SO I started training, joined a range, etc. Got my CCL, and have started carrying. It's been an evolution, not a "defining moment".

I have had to physically defend myself a few times in my life (pre-gun days). I fortunately had the element of surprise (and the hairs on the back of my neck warning me), and was able to throw my attackers off guard in each case - and they were not armed.

I don't expect to always be as fortunate, and with kids, prefer not to leave that the ONLY "ace up my sleeve". So I carry a gun, as another layer of safety.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"peaceful societies do not need general gun bans and violent societies do not benefit from them." Don B. Kates
FrogWithAGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 14:39   #568
U-phorik407
'Night Michelle

Send a message via Yahoo to U-phorik407
I bought my first gun right after 'Obamessiah' took office, I figured they can pry it from my cold dead hands... but honestly right after I moved out of the People's republik of NY, I decided I should arm myself to protect me because I work in a not so nice part of Orlando, but also the fact that I've had some instances where my families life was threatened. Right after my dads car was robbed and my parents house was 'looked over' I also thought it would be a good idea to have something for the house also... I am still trying to talk my folks into arming themselves...
Florida Glockers #131
U-phorik407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 16:08   #569
silentstorm

simple. this crazy world.
silentstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 21:01   #570
SAVChippewa04

Always liked guns, and in Michigan here there is a stigma about handguns, it seems there are a lot of hoops to jump through to own one. Never gave this issue a whole lot of thought until last Sunday. Basically I was at an intersection with a pickup directly across from me and he was not signaling to turn left. Light turns green, this guy turns left right in front of me, I slam on my brakes and motion with my hands upward saying "what are you doing?" No profane language, no profane gestures, just looking for simple courtesy. Well, this turkey stops and tails me through two intersections and I am will admit I was intimidated because he is rough looking and obviously knows what he is up to. I decided not to flee, to obey all traffic rules until I reach my destination, and I keep my eye on him like a hawk. While this is going on, I know I have my 357 MAG in the glove box, if needed. Long story short, he pulls up along side of me and we stare at each other for about 2-3 seconds, he turns right, peels out and I decompress (believe me, I just wanted to go fishing with my basset hound!). Anyway, I am glad I have my permit, I sold my 357 MAG this week, and picked up a g26 for everyday carry, and keep the g17 at home in case some goofball decides to home invade. Unfortunately, there are just too many creeps out there looking to take advantage of folks.

SAVCHIPPEWA04
Old 07-31-2009, 06:56   #571
ConroeTxCCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVChippewa04 View Post
Anyway, I am glad I have my permit, I sold my 357 MAG this week, and picked up a g26 for everyday carry, and keep the g17 at home in case some goofball decides to home invade. Unfortunately, there are just too many creeps out there looking to take advantage of folks.

SAVCHIPPEWA04
True. That's what g18 mags are for :-D
Old 08-08-2009, 18:21   #572
16-17

This has been a very enlightening thread. It’s taken be the better part of the day to read all the way through it.

Maybe I’m just a little slow but the “defining moment” came very slowly. When I was 13 my folks shipped me off to military school. So at 13 I was carrying and learned to use an M1 Garand. As others have pointed out, it was a different time and and I never considered it a big deal to be carrying a rifle everyday at school. In the late sixties the country went through one of it’s less proud moments with riots and cities in flames and I thought it prudent to be armed. A relative sold me an rarely used 16 gauge that is still with me. Over the years I would occasionally go out and smoke some clays with it and it was always kept handy for “bump in the night” duty. Living in NY at the time I witnessed the snatch and run stuff that went on in the subways and even a shoot out between a liqueur store owner and a BG that spilled into the street. I astutely took cover behind a car so as not to become collateral damage. I even had an ex wife who had been robbed at gun point before I met her. But hey, it was NY, this stuff went on all the time. So the 16 gauge was just always there and taken for granted. Last year, my friend of 47 years was killed in a bicycle accident. We had gone through the military school together and it was he who I most often went out to shoot clays with. It got me thinking about the shotgun again. And that got me thinking about guns again. And then the November election happened. I went and qualified at the county trap range and stated thinking that it might be important have more assets than the 16 gauge could provide. I took an NRA handgun safety course before buying a Glock 17. I started going to the range at least once a week to become proficient. I still hadn’t made a conscious decision to get a CHP. Then, a few weeks ago, we had a call from my girlfriends son. His girlfriend, a doctor, had been attacked in her office at the hospital. She was working after hours, though it was only 6:30 PM. A BG, a repeat offender, had come through he hospital kitchen picking up a 13 inch butcher knife on the way. He robbed and attempted to rape her. Amazingly, even after being stabbed, she was able to fight him off, get possession of the knife, and inflict wounds to him before he fled. He was captured a day later. The “defining moment” happened. I have filed for my CHP!
16-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:46   #573
mr.z28
learning...

ive wanted a ccl since forever...i couldnt wait to turn 21...that added to the fact that ive had a gun pulled on me a couple times....added to the fact that baton rouge is the 12th most dangerous city in the US and new orleans is number 1 and only a 45 minute drive away...louisiana is number 1 on the gun-death chart....baton rouge is number 7 on the murder chart per-capital...new orleans is number 1...it could be argued that louisiana is one of the most dangerous regions in the US...since we have 2 cities on the most dangerous list top 15 within an hour of each other...not too many other regions can make that claim...added to all that i dont live in the best neighborhood...within the last 5 weeks weve had 5 murders ON THE SAME STREET!!!...which is like 3 streets over from me...added to that, ITS MY RIGHT AS A LAW ABIDING CITIZEN!!!...
Sub Club #525

Quote:
Don't be embarassed, we all had to start somewhere.
mr.z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:46   #574
cwag
ApendamenTindey

It's an odd story, my best friends had gotten in financial trouble and the repo agent was way overzealous. He knew the vehicle wasn’t on the property, knew the he was at work on nights and she was home alone with the kids living in a rural area sorta secluded area. They had already seen him once scouting the property. Then one night after I left, I get the call that the dogs are going crazy and she see’s someone in the backyard. So I come back and actually pass his truck pulling out of the back field. I had already wanted a pistol, had been saving the money for one so once I bought it I figured I might as well carry it.

GSSF Lifetime Member
NRA Life Member
cwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 13:51   #575
Messenger
American Made

I carry because it is the ultimate equalizer. My work takes me all over the US. Thankfully I have never had to defend myself with a firearm. When conceal permits became available, I got one. Kind of hard to protect yourself when you pistol is locked in your truck. I was always bothered by the vague laws and what would happen if my truck was ever searched and the pistol wasn't in plain sight. Now everything is legal. Since the election of the "Obomination", I have been steadily aquiring firearms and ammo, not to mention non perisible food and water. Make no mistake.....It's coming.

You should only be allowed to vote if you
are a legal, working, tax paying AMERICAN
Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 14:02   #576
Lady Glock

Send a message via ICQ to Lady Glock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
I carry because it is the ultimate equalizer. My work takes me all over the US. Thankfully I have never had to defend myself with a firearm. When conceal permits became available, I got one. Kind of hard to protect yourself when you pistol is locked in your truck. I was always bothered by the vague laws and what would happen if my truck was ever searched and the pistol wasn't in plain sight. Now everything is legal. Since the election of the "Obomination", I have been steadily aquiring firearms and ammo, not to mention non perisible food and water. Make no mistake.....It's coming.
I get so preturbed when I'm traveling and have to lock up my protection because of going through IOWA. I shouldn't have to be unprotected at ANY time...just because it's my right as a citizen of the USA

Trust in God...Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!
Lady Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 18:45   #577
Klipper
Not Assimilated

First, thanks to all who have posted in this amazing thread. Finding GT has been a great education. I'm very fortunate not to have a personal bad story to share.

No specific event for my CCW. My wife was very determined no guns in the house. She was concerned about kids and the storage in our home. This from the women who, when she was younger was robbed and mugged at knife and gun point several times in Boston. Then about 4 years ago her friend who was leaving a tennis house a couple miles away in a marginal area downtown was robbed at gun point by a couple young "ganstas" who debated killing her as she lay faced down in a parking lot. Thankfully they didn't shoot her. Those events still wouldn't convince her to change her mind about a gun.

Hurricane Katrina's aftermath finally allowed me to convince her we needed the abiltiy to defend ourselves. She agreed at that point a hand gun was ok. I didn't act immediately, in fact I let the issue lapse until a few months ago when one of my friends asked if I was interested in attending a CPL class.

I reflected on the local economic situation (bad and getting worse) in the greater Detroit and SE Michigan and decided I would be more comfortable knowing I had a license to CCW to protect my family and or friends. My friend was unable to take the class - so I took it and got my CPL in July.

Purchased my G23 a couple weeks before the license arrived. I want to add another soon, perhaps a G27 ...!

Last edited by Klipper; 08-09-2009 at 19:13..
Klipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:56   #578
dugo

Susprised at literary references?

[[ Please tolerate this diversion as an aside, and in response to a good poster who was pleasantly surprised at an obscure reference from "Les Miserables".

Fully understanding such preconceptions, please continue to notice that gun carriers come from all walks of life, and may even balance towards being the more -- not the less -- educated of citizens (especially taking into account the sad limits of mere academic education).

Do not be surprised to find poets, playwrights, graduate level educators and other folks of academic force and acclaim on the side of personal rights, and in these pages.

We ain't necessarily the stereotypical uncivilized hillbilly's that have been painted by those opposing the issue. (Ok, heck ...I admit it .. I am! But a lot of these folks are not.) ]]

Last edited by dugo; 08-18-2009 at 10:06.. Reason: shorten
dugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:50   #579
dugo

Oh yeah, defining moments...

Wasn't really one moment. Grew up in some rough places, so I knew violence was possible. Personal safety is always a question. Had a CCW a long time ago, but moved out of that state.

Then, I lived for a while in a state with an uncivilized outlook, where regular people were not trusted. Except for police, only bad guys generally carried guns. Slightly scary.

Then, moved to a more civilized state, where regular people were expected to behave like adults. Very refreshing. Good guys can legally carry. I felt safer.

I figured if I was going to benefit from that safety, I should contribute to it, so came back to the fold.
dugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:03   #580
odg

I am getting older(59) and not in the best of shape. Bad knees and can't run much. So decided I need an equalizer in a Glock 39 (45 GAP).
odg is offline   Reply With Quote