SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-15-2010, 22:22   #726
Spen84107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willieboy View Post
Growing up on the south side of Chicago where violence reigns supreme.
It only took driving through the south side of Chicago ONCE for me to feel justified in carrying a gun. And, then it was reaffirmed when I accidentally took the wrong exit and ended up in GARY, IN.
40 S&W Club #8410
Kalashnikov Klub #5
Spen84107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 15:13   #727
Getwild2
Mac Aficionado

I thank God I haven't had any major instances in my life causing me to CCW, I was simply born and raised in Flint, Michigan and I hear about threats and lives lost on a daily basis in and around our city. I currently live in an upper-middle to upper class suburb of Flint, though crime can occur anytime, anywhere as it is no respecter of persons.

I decided to obtain my CPL just over 3 years ago. I haven't had a lot of experience with guns, in fact, my first was a Glock 17C bought used. I started going to the range and thoroughly enjoyed the sport. One day I stumbled upon GT and started reading a lot of your posts, I found myself in the "Carry Issues" sub-forum and from there began to learn about my opportunities. As a kid or teen I had always thought "it would be cool" to have my "CCW", but now, an adult see a real need and responsibility to my family. I realized the responsibility to protect myself so I am around for my family, in addition to my immediate and extended family and friends, whomever I'm with.

Since obtaining my CPL I can count on two hands the number of times I haven't carried in over 3 years, and those were simply times when it wasn't lawful for me to carry. My EDC is as a part of me as anything else. I am thankful for the right to carry, it has changed my life. Being that myself and my family hadn't really had the gun exposure, my family thought I was strange when I decided to get my CPL and start carrying. They didn't disagree but rather asked, "why would you want to carry a GUN anyways?". As I type this my dad is an avid surfer of GT as well as my brother, both of which now have their CPL's and carry daily and/or often. I was also able to convince my brother (the pastor of my church) to allow a CPL class for members desiring to take that step. Nearly a dozen took the class and almost 10 have followed through with obtaining their CPL.

I ponder scenarios daily, read GT daily, read Massad Ayoob's materials and watch all of the crime shows on TV (mostly non-fiction) to learn all of the possibilities in which I may have to defend myself. I also plan on taking 4 different advanced classes this summer/fall to strengthen my skills as well as begin participating in IDPA. I hope and pray sincerely that I have carried this weapon on my hip for no reason whatsoever. I pray I completely wasted my time, money and energy and never need to use it, however if one day I do, I'll be glad to have had it and been trained to use it.

Thanks for all of your great posts!

Edited to add:
I'm not sure who wrote this but I've seen it here and there on the internet in different forums. I also haven't seen it yet on this thread, perhaps it is already here and if so, I'm sorry for the repost. I'd love to know more background on the author.

Why I carry a gun...

I don't carry a gun to kill people. I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry. I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.
S&W M&P 9c, 40c
Ruger LCP, 22/45 Mark III

Last edited by Getwild2; 02-16-2010 at 15:20..
Getwild2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 23:12   #728
Ewalk

First Post Ever!!!

After much consideration I chose to join the GT community.

in regards to the subject of this thread,
I went into a store to buy an energy drink and when i cam out there were two guys standing next to my truck. One stuck a gun in my face and demanded my keys and wallet. I gave him the wallet and he told me to get in the car and drive. His partner ran to a waiting car with another person in it. I then realized that this was not going to be a simple robbery. As I was preparing to get in the car the armed robber became very nervous and I believe accidentally discharged his weapon in my direction. I retrieved the .40 cal I had under my seat (I had just come from the range or i might not of had it). The robber saw what i was doing and shot me in the stomach. I fired two rounds one missing and the other striking him on the lower left side of his body. He opened the door to my truck and fell out. The owner of the store began to shout that the police were en route. The two other robbers grabbed their friend and sped off.

That pretty much was my defining moment.
Ewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 20:12   #729
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewalk View Post

I went into a store to buy an energy drink and when i cam out there were two guys standing next to my truck. One stuck a gun in my face and demanded my keys and wallet. I gave him the wallet and he told me to get in the car and drive. His partner ran to a waiting car with another person in it. I then realized that this was not going to be a simple robbery. As I was preparing to get in the car the armed robber became very nervous and I believe accidentally discharged his weapon in my direction. I retrieved the .40 cal I had under my seat (I had just come from the range or i might not of had it). The robber saw what i was doing and shot me in the stomach. I fired two rounds one missing and the other striking him on the lower left side of his body. He opened the door to my truck and fell out. The owner of the store began to shout that the police were en route. The two other robbers grabbed their friend and sped off.

Welcome to GT. Glad you are still with us to tell us the story.
Desert Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:38   #730
kshutt

Many reasons!

The general crime rate is just too high for me. I want to have a fighting chance in the event that I'm attacked or my family is attacked.
kshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:57   #731
DasBulk

Quote:

Thats just about the best reason there is.
Glad to have you with us.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:11   #732
Delta-x
Silver Membership
NRA Member

Watch the news any day , and some poor sob got car jacked, robbed, beaten, murdered, raped, or stabbed.

I dont want to be a defenseless victim. My chl helps avoid it. Doesnt prevent it but helps.
Big Dawgs #1945 /1911 Club #5491/Sig Sauer #1945
Lone Star Glockers #1945 /Black Rifle Club #1945

"The sword of justice has no scabbard"-Rival
Delta-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:05   #733
Ewalk

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am glad to still be here as well. I recently purchased a Glock 22 RTF2 and i just took my qual class to add it to my ccw. I cant wait to carry it.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:49   #734
tedwhite

Glock 22? That's a big 'un to schlep around for concealed carry! Same size as a G17.
tedwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 18:23   #735
Ewalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedwhite View Post
Glock 22? That's a big 'un to schlep around for concealed carry! Same size as a G17.
Yeah I know but I am used to carrying a full sized gun. I have 4" guns on my CCW permit with the exception of my 2" .357 Rossi. I just feel more comfortable with a full sized handgun. I know smaller would be more concealable and comfortable but I am more confident with the larger framed guns.
Old 02-22-2010, 18:50   #736
tedwhite

Good for you, Ewalk. I wish I felt comfortable carrying a g17 or a g21 (same length, but fatter grip), but I'm not a big guy (5'9", 150#) so big guns 1) weigh me down somewhat, and 2) are harder to conceal. So I generally carry a Chiefs Special or a Kimber UCII with a 3" barrel.
tedwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:22   #737
ScuddyG-19

After getting out of the Marine Corps I moved to Houston, TX 2 years ago and figured that I should get my CCL. I put it off for a while because Texas adopted the "Castle Doctrine" so I always had my pistol with me in my car. While driving throught the 3rd Ward (bad part of town) on my way to school (University of Houston) some thug pulled out in front of me without so much as a look to see if anyone was coming. I honked and he flipped me off as I drove by. The road had a median in the middle and he came flying around me at the next stopsign and blocked both lanes on our side of the road. He proceeded to get out of his car and start walking back to mine screaming and cussing and raising hell. I rolled the window down just enough for him to see my Glock 19 barrel protruding from the crack. He changed his mind real fast about wanting to fight. I wonder what would've happened had I not had my gun with me that day. I also wondered what would've happened had I not been in my car and therefore not been able to carry my gun. Needless to say I was in a CCL class the next weekend and my Glock goes everywhere with me now. Except to school which could be another thread in and of itself.
ScuddyG-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 18:56   #738
Bumpy Jonas
Brooklyn Bounce

Hey Retired LEO, Grew Up In Brooklyn NY, Patrolled In Brooklyn NY, Still Live In Brooklyn, Easy Choice To Glock It (G26) As CCW.....

Brooklyn Anti-Crime
Snubbie Club 5071 The Wheelhouse 5071
Bumpy Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 19:08   #739
Mad Man 666

I have not had any thing happen in my life that made me want to CC. But I have been around guns most of my life (hunting mainly), last year (29th B-Day) I ordered my 23 (first hand gun) as a gift to my self. After a few months I went and got my CPL, at first I did not plan on CCing I got it as to have something that says I know what im doing with my gun.. in case something ever happened. But not long after getting it I started CCing.
Mad Man 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 21:21   #740
forsythglock

I took my family (wife and two sons) camping in the North GA mountains about 18 months ago. We had tornadoes in the area and we ended up just leaving all our gear and driving home. I went back the next day by myself to pack everything up, and there was NOBODY around. I had been packing stuff up for about an hour, and a pickup drives up with some "Deliverance" looking guys. They ask me if I have seen their dog and I tell them no. They come back about 30 minutes later and act very suspicious and ask if anyone is with me, etc. I realized that nobody would see or hear anything if they decided to shoot/rob me. I had never felt so vulnerable in my life and I decided that I would never be in a position like that again. I bought my first handgun (G26) the next weekend and thought I would just carry while camping. I found an indoor range about 2 miles from my house and found out I like shooting and that I am pretty good at it. I now carry everywhere that is legal, and I shoot about 200 rounds per week and compete in GSSF and IDPA. My favorite gun is still my G26, but I also have a G34, LCP, PF-9, and full sized RIA Tactical.
forsythglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:08   #741
Getwild2
Mac Aficionado

Quote:
Yeah I know but I am used to carrying a full sized gun. I have 4" guns on my CCW permit with the exception of my 2" .357 Rossi. I just feel more comfortable with a full sized handgun. I know smaller would be more concealable and comfortable but I am more confident with the larger framed guns.
Ewalk,

Glad you're still with us, first of all. Second, would you mind giving us a few lines on the aftermath immediately following the shooting such as what occurred between the shooting and your hospital stay? I'm always curious about the LEO aspect of a self defense shoot, there's always a lot for us to learn in that area.

Thanks so much and stay safe!
-GW2
S&W M&P 9c, 40c
Ruger LCP, 22/45 Mark III
Getwild2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 20:06   #742
05_psd_erik
\/ Why I Carry

Hello All! New here and love this thread! I should be the proud owner of my first Glock (G30 od) by this weekend!

I, thankfully, have never had a 'moment' that just made me 'know' I need to CC. But with having just gotten married last year and now awaiting the arrival of our daughter, I decided now was the time to become proactive in my and my family's safety. The best way I have seen this expressed is this; "<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CKrystal%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->'The True Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton
05_psd_erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:11   #743
ubersoldat

I was told I was coming to America.
ubersoldat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:26   #744
Wastelander
NEVER BACK DOWN

I use to think that I didn't "need" a ccw in my neck-o-the-woods. About two weeks ago a coworker told me that his roommate was walking back from his girlfriends house late at night/early morning when he was jumped, beaten, and robbed by two "thugs." That really opened my eyes to the world I live in. It's not a fear, but rather a real strong dose of "it can happen anywhere." I have since enrolled in a ccw class next month and I plan to carry when I can afford an compact or subcompact gun.

G21C, G22, G33
Wastelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:26   #745
PrimitiveBeasty

Being nineteen years of age, I have about a year and a quarter until I am legal to get a permit to carry concealed. I am set on getting it as soon as possible. I have the "moment" given below, which solidified a resolve I already had to get a permit, and this thread has managed to strengthen that resolve even further.

My defining moment didn't happen to me, so to speak. I managed to run across the video of the death of Deputy Kyle Dinkheller. The video image itself isn't so disturbing or upsetting, I would say - it's the sound. I've never heard anyone scream like that man did as he was killed, and hope I never hear anyone else scream like that again. The man that killed him was a plain whack job. It illustrated vividly for me that there are people out there that will do crazy, senseless, and violent things, for no reason that the rest of us can see. I couldn't imagine trying to fend off a lunatic like that (who did have a gun - M1 carbine, so the various sources say) with only a knife or a baton or what have you. I would have a gun if I ever ran into someone like him. I resolved to never die in such an unfortunate manner as Kyle Dinkheller, nor let any of those around me suffer the same fate. I think what happened to him was horrible, and wish it hadn't happened (as we might feel about all such crimes), but it is certainly something for us to learn from.

Having fully recovered from watching the video (it did screw with me pretty bad, for about a week), I could say that I would rather have watched it than not, given what it taught me about life and this world. That said, I will not watch it again for a long time, if ever. And I strongly caution anyone who might watch it - it is disturbing and upsetting. Any person it doesn't affect I would say is either a rock or the same kind of nutcase criminal in the video. As for the repulsive being that did the killing, he was caught two days after the crime, and is currently on death row, having failed in a series of attempts to change his sentence.

Last edited by PrimitiveBeasty; 04-08-2010 at 08:27..
PrimitiveBeasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:30   #746
MacG22
CLM Number 213
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimitiveBeasty View Post
Being nineteen years of age, I have about a year and a quarter until I am legal to get a permit to carry concealed. I am set on getting it as soon as possible. I have the "moment" given below, which solidified a resolve I already had to get a permit, and this thread has managed to strengthen that resolve even further.

My defining moment didn't happen to me, so to speak. I managed to run across the video of the death of Deputy Kyle Dinkheller. The video image itself isn't so disturbing or upsetting, I would say - it's the sound. I've never heard anyone scream like that man did as he was killed, and hope I never hear anyone else scream like that again. The man that killed him was a plain whack job. It illustrated vividly for me that there are people out there that will do crazy, senseless, and violent things, for no reason that the rest of us can see. I couldn't imagine trying to fend off a lunatic like that (who did have a gun - M1 carbine, so the various sources say) with only a knife or a baton or what have you. I would have a gun if I ever ran into someone like him. I resolved to never die in such an unfortunate manner as Kyle Dinkheller, nor let any of those around me suffer the same fate. I think what happened to him was horrible, and wish it hadn't happened (as we might feel about all such crimes), but it is certainly something for us to learn from.

Having fully recovered from watching the video (it did screw with me pretty bad, for about a week), I could say that I would rather have watched it than not, given what it taught me about life and this world. That said, I will not watch it again for a long time, if ever. And I strongly caution anyone who might watch it - it is disturbing and upsetting. Any person it doesn't affect I would say is either a rock or the same kind of nutcase criminal in the video. As for the repulsive being that did the killing, he was caught two days after the crime, and is currently on death row, having failed in a series of attempts to change his sentence.

That video really affected me as well. This book in this thread mentions it as well (briefly) but made it really hit home for me. Before you start carrying you may find some value in the book:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...tions+violence
Old 04-08-2010, 11:50   #747
cousin15

I was always in to firearms, and had planned on getting my CPL in MI. The defining moment that accelerated the process was having my home broken into while I was working and my girlfriend was grocery shopping.

The feeling of being violated and unsafe in my own home was a big motivator. This is most important when I come home from work. What if I had walked in on them and they were armed? Now I am always armed and ready.
cousin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:41   #748
Mrs.Cicero
Wayward Member

I was packing in the backcountry in Glacier National Park in summer of '95 when I was stalked by a cougar, and I decided as I was heaving rocks at his snarling, creeping self that I would never backpack again without a very large gun...

Mrs.Cicero, not lunch for cougars or cannibals

"Oh bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mrs.Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 17:52   #749
HemiR/T

The impetus for me buying my first handgun and applying for my CCW is as follows. I live in town where a man going through a nasty divorce decided to take it out on his wife's attorney and walked into his office and proceeded to shoot two lawyers, the receptionist, and a mailman who happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. The youngest lawyer and the mailman did not survive. He holed up in the office and SWAT had to take him out. A shock to a small community where a bunch of country lawyers used to keep their doors open to all, a shock to my wife and our friends who work in either the district attorney's office or the courthouse and knew the victims personally, including the mailman who was also a pretty talented guitarist and played locally. My wife decided not to apply for her CCW which is her choice although it makes me worry, but I have tried to make her familiar with my S&W 642 in hopes she changes her mind. Needless to say I'm around LEO's and probation and parole officers a lot, and I get lots of free and sound advice on handguns, ammo, and personal defense and safety.

Jack
Old 04-21-2010, 05:03   #750
23owner

I didn't really have the moment of fear like many of you had to, Thank God, but basically I think I just came to my senses.
My wife has wanted a security system in the house for years. We live in a very small town and there's really no crime here, so I keep saying we don't need it.
One night a couple months ago, I woke up dead awake in the middle of the night and said to myself, "If someone had just broken into my house, what am I gonna do about it?" Looking around the room, there wouldn't have been anything I could have done. I didn't have so much as a large knife around.
This was the impetus for purchasing my G23. A firefighter buddy of mine carries 24/7, even to church :-). After talking to him and a few other friends that have encouraged me for a while to get armed, I realized that it's too easy to get a CCW permit to do without.
Now I'm just trying to convince my wife to learn to shoot my G23 and get something she can carry daily. I hopefully can replace the fear of entering the house alone at night with confidence to ward off an intruder if she had to.
23owner is offline   Reply With Quote