SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-19-2009, 19:54   #581
LLL

my defining moment......

1. 911
2. when I realised that you cant depend on someone else to save your butt.
3. When I became a Father.

LLL
LLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 14:44   #582
ROSSO Z

I got my CCW license:

1. To exercise a right... (political statement)

2. So I would not have to worry about how to carry guns, ammo, etc. when driving to the range.

Old 09-03-2009, 19:52   #583
TWS G26

9-11 got me thinking about it. A year later, my family and I were nearly wiped out by a crazy trucker who stalked us on a remote SC highway for several miles. I got the permit a few months later.
Old 09-10-2009, 18:44   #584
Powpow
Double Tap!

Never owned a handgun before....the Beretta and Benelli shotguns were for HD besides the last few decades of hunting waterfowl and pheasants.

My friends and relatives were taking the CCW and I procrastinated until one night I had an encounter downtown. On occassion, my hobby but soon to be profession takes me downtown at night. I was being followed by a group of drunks or drug addicts who kept calling out profanities for me to stop. I was lucky enough to walk real fast to a busy street and get away.

Even with CCW, I would flee again and try to be more aware of my surroundings, however you never know....
Powpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 16:45   #585
Misty02

Itís been over a year since I purchased my first firearm. It was picked up on 9/9/08 after the required 5 day waiting period; I had applied for my CWL at the time but was not yet in possession. I took the class on 8/14/08 and sent the application in on 8/22/08. I started going to the range weekly and using rentals a couple of weeks before attending the class.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
To this day I am unable to answer the question posed by those around me who learned of my change of stance on firearms. Prior to July of 2008 I had a very strong opinion on firearms that is totally contrary to the one I hold now. I was never anti-gun, just didnít want them in my house. I had no problems with others owning or carrying. I do not recall reading any stories or being informed of anyoneís personal incident that would have affected my opinion either. I have absolutely no clue what made me change my mind in such a short time span. One month I was maintaining my ďthere will be no guns in this houseĒ and the next I was researching which gun to buy. <o:p></o:p>
For a while it was very troubling to my husband who insisted something happened to me and I was refusing to talk about it. His assumption was that someone threatened me in some way and I didnít want to worry anyone thus I opted to obtain the means to defend myself. Taking in consideration that Iíve rarely changed my mind for as long as heís known me and the fact that I plan nearly everything I do to the most minute details, it was not irrational for him to be puzzled and question my motives. It took a bit before he believed that nothing had happened and there were no motives other than the realization that we were responsible for our safety.<o:p></o:p>
Iíve had no wake up calls. Being of the mindset I am today and taking in consideration how far I take safety and preparedness in other areas, I cannot comprehend what took me so long to realize that I had not addressed the safety of my family and my own at its most basic level. <o:p></o:p>
Discovering that going to the range is not only fun but extremely relaxing has not hurt either, a little late to discover this since Iím 47, but better late than never. <o:p></o:p>
(still reading the thread, very interesting and eye-opening stories here)<o:p></o:p>
.<o:p></o:p>

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Misty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 17:01   #586
OneEyedDrunk
RAZOR

Defining Moments - What made YOU decide to CCW?

Defining moments? I think I have several.....

I was carjacked Halloween night of 1994 in Sacramento, CA. Car was taken at gunpoint, and was found six days later two miles away. Needless to say the perpetrators attempted to get me to go with them, but I basically refused to do so in fear of being shot. I'm sure if I went with them then I would not be here today.

I worked a CO in the state of Nevada for a while, and started carrying concealed at that time. Yes, in 1996-1998 the policy of the Nevada Department of Prisons(later changed to Nevada DOC) was that this was not permitted by policy, but was allowed by Nevada Revised Statutes. I didn't care about that. I remember walking through a grocery store in Reno, NV with my wife and daughter, and seeing a former inmate from the prison. He
looked at me, looked down at the larger than normal fanny pack on my waist, and turned down a different aisle. Yes, he knew I was packing, and did not want any issues. Good thing for him.

Pursuit suspect was found hiding in the back yard next door to my home. I was walking outside one morning to take my daughter to school, and was told to get back inside by the highway patrol. At that point I was went inside and waited for him to come over into my back yard, but apparently he was arrested in time. He almost got Glocked.

Those are pretty much the things that have shaped me to who I am today. I have carried a firearm for most of my adult life, even when it was not allowed in that particular state(yes the statute of limitations is up by now).

Local insurance agency in the DFW area. A $10 Academy giftcard for all Glocktalk members that
sign with us, or refer a non-Glocktalk member who does:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
OneEyedDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 17:26   #587
Crossfit1981

1.I'm a probation officer.

2.Back in 2005, while working as a meat cutter at a local grocery store, two masked robbers stormed in. One of the gunmen came back to where I was and stuck a glock in my face and ordered me to the ground.
Crossfit1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 23:00   #588
Daimyo

Several reasons:

1) Being in a wheelchair limits my options in an altercation.

2) Too many gunshots in the "nice" neighborhood where I live.

3) Economy and current President.

and most importantly,

4) LOVING the smiles of my wife and daughter and keeping them safe so I can continue to enjoy them for a LONG time.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 14:47   #589
liquidsniper

Send a message via AIM to liquidsniper
a friend and I were jumped, beaten, and robbed by a group of 5 people while I was changing a flat tire on my car late at night in a deserted parking lot.

The story:
My friend and I stopped at said parking lot due to a flat tire. I was in the process of changing the tire on my lexus. My friend was hanging out by the trunk area, when we saw an older white BMW that was 'ghetto pimped' out. The car stopped in the middle of the lot about 30 feet away from us. 5 males and one female got out of the car and approached us. We had no weapons save for the tire iron I was holding in my hands.

When they were about ten feet away, one of them asked if I had seen so and so and when I turned my head to answer "I did't know what they were talking about," 2 of them rushed me and I caught it out of the corner of my eye. It was too late tho and before I could bring the tire iron up to defend myself they were already on me. I accidentally dropped the tire iron and started to fight off the two attackers with my hands (tire iron was pretty much useless since it was a "phone booth" fight at this point). I was struggling with the attacker who was in front of me and was trying to grapple me and throw me to the ground. I threw a couple low punches (I used to box) and I heard him moan in pain after I connected a couple times and pushed him away from me. I knew attacker number 2 was to my left. I turned to face him and thats when everything went black.

I still remember waking up as if slowly coming out of a fog to the sounds of shouts and curses and realizing that my attackers were now kicking me as I lay on the ground. I shielded my face and neck as best I could until the beating stopped finally. At that point I felt hands slip into my pocket and snatch my wallet, phone, and car keys. I laid on the ground for a minute and my head and vision was very fuzzy. The left side of my face was numb and felt wet, which upon touching I realized was blood. I looked around for my buddy and he was approx 25 yds away and walking back holding his shoulder. He walked back up and immediately noticed my face. He said the area just below my left eye looks like "hamburger." I then noticed he had blood all over the shoulder he was holding.

All in all, when the cops showed up and we finally pieced together what happened. When I got rushed, the 3 others rushed my buddy who turned and tried to outrun them. He didn't get far as they pushed him to the ground and beat him and one stabbed him with a small pocketknife in the shoulder. I received the worst of it though, when I was knocked unconcious it was because one of the BG's had picked up the tire iron I dropped and when I fended off attacker number one, number two hit me squarely in the head right below and to the outside of my left eye. I was very lucky to not have lost my vision or had severe head trauma.

In the aftermath of this incident, the perps were never caught and I still have a visible scar on the left side of my face on the eye socket. It's not very noticeable luckily since its in the eye socket and the lines around me eye conceal it. However, I can still feel the scar there whenever I put my finger there.

What did I lose? My wallet, a couple credit cards, $20, a set of car keys, and my view on the world as a secure place. The city I live in is a relatively quiet city. There are much worse areas in South Florida, but it doesn't mean it can't happen in nice areas.

This happened a few years ago, but I just recently picked up my CCW after putting it off. I did carry a gun in my cars glove compartment after that incident though.

What could I have done differently? Well to be honest I'm not sure. Letting the BG get that close to me was mistake number 1, dropping my weapon was mistake number 2. In the end I could go on and on about what I coulda shoulda woulda done, but I take it as a lesson and have a scar to remind me to never let that happen again.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:07   #590
Sidewayz

I've had a Mossberg 12ga for home defense for several years. I guess I just never realized that I needed to have protection outside my home until my son was born two years ago. The day (or night-12:06am) he showed up it just hit me out of the blue. Honestly, before that I didn't have any idea that is was legal to carry a firearm. Once I figured that out I felt like an idiot for not knowing earlier.

In a nutshell...my new son is the reason.
Old 09-22-2009, 13:02   #591
smoffett87

After being shot once, stabbed once, and jumped in a parking lot by 2 mexicans at a Meijer at 3 am. I decided that's not happening again. After I turned 21 I took the class and I'm just waiting on the permit.
Old 09-22-2009, 19:04   #592
jo3ys2008

There is no clear cut line that make me say "hey, this is why i choose to defend myself." To make a long story short, WATCH THE NEWS!!
Old 09-23-2009, 00:14   #593
tedwhite

I was an LEO in Kalifornia. Now I live in South East Arizona, in comparison a walk in the park. But mental memory is like muscle memory. I never leave home without a piece. I would feel quite stupid if a situation developed and my Kimber was home in a drawer.
tedwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 18:43   #594
amd4me
Coffee Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
I can understand your question.

Joanne Lispcombe Police Officer. http://www.odmp.org/reflections.php?oid=165
I just read this on ODMP, it made me tear up.
Quote:
JoAnne, I remember the tragic night as if were yesterday. I also remember we spoke a few days prior to that and you were the same professional Cop with a great sense of humor...

Before I left Missouri in 2003 I visited BlackJack park. There was a ray of sunlight shining on one particular bench so I decided to sit there. Out of 20 or so benches the one I choose was the one dedicated to you. You got me again. RIP
Old 09-26-2009, 07:49   #595
StoneRaven

I did not have defining moment, so to speak. My father often carried when I was young, and I simply grew up with the idea that it was normal to be prepared to defend you and yours against those intending harm.

I did have a "reaffirming moment" many years ago. It was Christmas 1986 and I was 25 years old. My young family (wife 26yrs; son 3yrs; daughter 2yrs) and I had traveled to middle Tennessee to visit our families for the holidays.

After a two day trip including multiple stops to visit parents, in-laws, grand parents, and grand parents-inlaws, we were loaded down with gifts. As we headed out of town to return to our home in Atlanta, we stopped in the parking lot of a shopping center, near the interstate, to better situate the overflowing load of gifts in the back of the 1984 Chevrolet Blazer.

Back then, hardly any businesses were open during the Christmas Holidays, and the parking lot was completely empty. We had barely come to a stop when an old, beaten station wagon came screeching to a hault about 30 yards away from us on the passenger side of my vehicle. Two men immediatly exited the vehicle and began approaching the passenger side of the Blazer where my wife was seated. One was holding a baseball bat.

At this time in my life, I had no knowledge of the Awareness Color Codes, but in hidsight my mind went from code yellow to orange to red in a split second. I exited my vehicle while telling my wife to lock the doors. I stepped around the front of my vehicle and unholstered my weapon, a Taurus PT92AF. I held the pistol at low ready and took the safety off. Both men immediately stopped, and the empty handed one put his hands in the air. The one with the bat gave me a haunting grin, as if to say "well played", and then they simply turned around and walked to their still running vehicle. They both got in and were gone almost as quickly as they had shown up.

It took 100 miles for my blood pressure to get back to normal.

I now carry daily and have not since had the missfortune to have to draw my firearm with the intent to defend myself with lethal force.
StoneRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:49   #596
Torontogunguy

One has an immediate gut reaction to say that you should have held them for the police... only problem is that they had done nothing wrong and you would have been charged with forcible confinement or worse. Well played.

We have had TWO home invasions. One successful. They ran as soon as we screamed like little girls and took our pots and lamps with them. Go figure. High as kites?

Second home invasion; prepared myself for an entry but they were ultimately taken down by police at gunpoint and taken away. They were using prybars to try and gain entry..... high as kites? Our doors are half glass (albeit reinforced).

Third time lucky. Orlando Florida just a couple of years ago. Home of Mickey. Guy doesn't like the way I am driving or my Ontario Canada plates and comes over with a revolver strapped on (open carry) and pulls it out and sticks it right in my nose. Wife and kids sleeping. Light turns green and I floor it and leave him eating dust and he fortunately does NOT open fire.

When I am stateside and permitted to carry legally I do so 24/7/365 without fail. I would rather forget my wallet than my protection.

You don't have to go looking for trouble. It will find you. We have depended on GPS for our travels for many years now and sometimes it takes into areas that we would rather not be. You know them at a glance. It is comforting to know that you have an equalizer on hand.

You handled your situation with great aplomb and did what was right. The old saying "Johnny, Johnny, run away... come back and play another day" should be an ingrained rule in your mind. If you have an escape route, take it. I have heard too many stories of legitimate shootings where the good guy spends $50K on his or her defense and loses their permits and guns either temporarily or permanently. It is all about training. And knowing as early as humanly possible what is going on around you at all times so you can foresee what is going to play out. I never sit with my back to the washroom or entrance in a restaurant for example. And when I go to orange or yellow my hackles go up and I am prepared... my chair is moved back, I make sure I have a clear escape route for family and myself, etc.

One last thing. YOUR FAMILY should know the colours of the rainbow as well. Have a talk with them about things like moving away from you, moving to cover, diagonal movement, distancing and running like hell. We initially went with code words but decided that it was simpler to simply say, "heads up" or "take cover" or "run like hell somethings going down". My wife did not like the talk at all. AT ALL! But afterwards said she felt much more comfortable knowing that we were better protected than the average Joe and that we at least had some sort of action plans in place.

Training. Training. We never wear anything fancy or gold, etc., when travelling. We dress down. Way down. And so on. Like I said, you don't have to go looking for trouble, it will come to find you. Be prepared. Stay safe.

And never go without protection; and while some feel that it means that your calibre needs to start with a "4" that is not true. Better to be able to place shots well than to have a round go through two walls and kill someone watching TV as has happened so often. I carry a 9mm, .40 and .45 as my situation dictates - and try to carry the larger calibres when I am able (i.e. if I am wearing a suit I will carry a larger .45). And I use only the latest and best engineered rounds for self protection and carry three 10 round magazines and sometimes one in the tube depending on how I am carrying. If I cannot avoid doing it I will carry my 9mm Glock 26 with ported barrel and know that my shots will be well placed until the threat is stopped. And I visit the range regularly to play IPSC/IDPA. No sense shooting at stationary targets unless I am setting my sights or just checking out my handgun. You need to be practicing while on the move and you need to be moving diagonally and away from your bad guy and perhaps towards cover if available close at hand. But... be moving. It messes them up and FBI and LE studies have shown that your chances of avoiding a hit increase by 70 percent if you are doing so. And especially so if you are in reaction mode as reaction lags action.

Stay safe. I'm off my soapbox. I guess you can tell how strongly I feel about the matter and it just pains me to no end being up here north of the 49th. and unable to protect myself in public, although, to be honest, the violent crime rate (although increasing contrary to popular opinion) is still very very low. Toronto, for example, a city of several million people only had something like 50 something murders all of last year. We have been in cities stateside where that is a monthly number on top of all of the survived shootings, stabbings, rapes, armed robberies, home invasions, etc. It is just a different society for now... but as the bad guys realize that pickings are easier up here guess where they are going to be coming? Like Orlando FL, Compton CA, etc. Easy pickings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneRaven View Post
I did not have defining moment, so to speak. My father often carried when I was young, and I simply grew up with the idea that it was normal to be prepared to defend you and yours against those intending harm.

I did have a "reaffirming moment" many years ago. It was Christmas 1986 and I was 25 years old. My young family (wife 26yrs; son 3yrs; daughter 2yrs) and I had traveled to middle Tennessee to visit our families for the holidays.

After a two day trip including multiple stops to visit parents, in-laws, grand parents, and grand parents-inlaws, we were loaded down with gifts. As we headed out of town to return to our home in Atlanta, we stopped in the parking lot of a shopping center, near the interstate, to better situate the overflowing load of gifts in the back of the 1984 Chevrolet Blazer.

Back then, hardly any businesses were open during the Christmas Holidays, and the parking lot was completely empty. We had barely come to a stop when an old, beaten station wagon came screeching to a hault about 30 yards away from us on the passenger side of my vehicle. Two men immediatly exited the vehicle and began approaching the passenger side of the Blazer where my wife was seated. One was holding a baseball bat.

At this time in my life, I had no knowledge of the Awareness Color Codes, but in hidsight my mind went from code yellow to orange to red in a split second. I exited my vehicle while telling my wife to lock the doors. I stepped around the front of my vehicle and unholstered my weapon, a Taurus PT92AF. I held the pistol at low ready and took the safety off. Both men immediately stopped, and the empty handed one put his hands in the air. The one with the bat gave me a haunting grin, as if to say "well played", and then they simply turned around and walked to their still running vehicle. They both got in and were gone almost as quickly as they had shown up.

It took 100 miles for my blood pressure to get back to normal.

I now carry daily and have not since had the missfortune to have to draw my firearm with the intent to defend myself with lethal force.
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:17   #597
dabestbank

I live in New Orleans and I bought my first gun while evacuated for Katrina. My dad taught me to shoot and I shot in competitions with him before but always borrowed his guns. With everything going on back home I didn't feel safe without one. A couple of months after that there was two events that finally lead me to get my CCW. First my neighbor was outside one night working on his car and someone came up to him with a gun and and forced him into his house and robbed him. We lived in what I thought was a safe gated neighborhood but after the storm everything wend down hill. We eventually moved into a better neighborhood. The second event happened about a week later my wife's grandpaw was riding his bike in his neighborhood, which he has done everyday for the last 20 years, and was robbed at gunpoint. After the I got my CCW and have been carrying for the last 4 years.
dabestbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:16   #598
bend2jam

Very specific defining moment: I had a neighbor's pit bull jump through a window and come after me while I was on a riding mower. I was able to keep it between me and it but, it proved, stuff can go sideways in an instant! I decided that day that I'd much rather "have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

I went out the very next day and purchased a Glock 23. Switched to a 27 within six months for concealability/comfort.

Bend
bend2jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 17:02   #599
Torontogunguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend2jam View Post
Very specific defining moment: I had a neighbor's pit bull jump through a window and come after me while I was on a riding mower. I was able to keep it between me and it but, it proved, stuff can go sideways in an instant! I decided that day that I'd much rather "have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

I went out the very next day and purchased a Glock 23. Switched to a 27 within six months for concealability/comfort.

Bend
I swear I had a muscle spasm in my groin after reading this one. This one wins hands down (at least for all the guys reading it).
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 19:45   #600
40 glock

I'm a father, husband, and red blooded american. What other reason do I need?