Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-28-2010, 19:29   #761
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic78 View Post
My two tours in Iraq made me see that I never wanted to be a disarmed civilian with no way to protect myself or my family(future). I hate the feeling for being unready or unprepared for when certain things happen.

BTW, Patronus, I dig your picture of Porter Rockwell. I did a book report on him when I was in the 8th grade.
Thanks, combatmedic78. I dig Ol' Port as well.

And thanks for your military service. Here's to your fallen brothers and sisters in arms this Memorial Day weekend.
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 19:56   #762
Jeepnik

Wow, it was so long ago, almost thirty years, I really don't have a "defining" moment. It was more like I could so I did. Funny thing, the potential need for it was, at least in my opinion, really not there back then. And, I'll admit that there have been periods when I just didn't even though I could. Today, I actually, think there is a demonstrable need. So, there's my story, short and boring as it is.
Old 05-28-2010, 20:16   #763
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepnik View Post
Wow, it was so long ago, almost thirty years, I really don't have a "defining" moment. It was more like I could so I did. Funny thing, the potential need for it was, at least in my opinion, really not there back then. And, I'll admit that there have been periods when I just didn't even though I could. Today, I actually, think there is a demonstrable need. So, there's my story, short and boring as it is.
Not boring. That's just how it goes for many.

When I was in high school, I knew that CCW was an option (as an adult) but never considered carrying. When Damn Yankees came to Salt Lake City in '92, I listened to Ted Nugent talk at length about the RKBA during a radio interview that morning, and then at the concert, but the concept still didn't sink in.

But when it eventually sank in for me, it sank deep.
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 20:34   #764
ranger1444

No real defining moment, although there have been times where I would have liked to have it, before I got it.

In the past, there were times where in the line of work I'm in I see past "customers" around, and it would be nice to know that I had another tool in my toolbox.
ranger1444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:45   #765
hackinpeat

The short version:

I was attacked by 3 gangster wanna bes about a year ago who were high on drugs and drunk. It was a case of mistaken I.D. and they were out for my blood. Knives were pulled on me and I subdued them with pepper spray and some martial arts. I ran before they could see again. I suppose I got some minor fame with the street crowd in my town for having the guts to take them on but I have no pride in it. I just did what I needed to do and I'd do it again.

I wouldn't have been likely to even pull a gun if I'd had my permit to carry one back then, so I still carry pepper spray as a primary defense. It is effective, at least in some cases.
hackinpeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:56   #766
FM12
I need AMMO!

Too much of a coward not to, to tell the truth, but mostly for my families protection (pretty wife and 2 really pretty daughters)
Old 06-06-2010, 16:25   #767
Glocknut101
skeptic

Last edited by Glocknut101; 01-17-2011 at 21:24..
Glocknut101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 16:30   #768
Batesmotel

I knew the legislator who co-sponsored the Shall Issue law for Utah and I did some of the statical research for him. I got my application the day the new law went to effect.
Old 06-06-2010, 22:12   #769
blackbmw

I got mine because of people like me. I was an idiot and an ass when i was 17 to 20, I would have ran ya over and wouldnt have cared less. Now, im 31, great job, first newborn son, and ill tell you what, I did some really really REALLY stupid crap when i was at that age, so im deathly afraid of people just like me. look the abercrombie and fitch, act the al capone way. thank god i leveled out and realized that i was about to be shot by some poor sap, and i have taken all my experience of being a tool to good use, as i am a successful man now. thats why i ccw, cause of *******s like me when i was 20yrs old.
blackbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 13:15   #770
chromedomepinoyboy

I decided to CCW because I bought my first firearm last year and then realized that I could do so legally and it only seemed right.

But several things got me to the point of finally purchasing one. In 2006, a couple of events really had me pretty concerned about self protection. 1st, a friend's sister was carjacked with her boyfriend and she was subsequently sexually assaulted and murdered along with her boyfriend. A few months later, a girl I worked with was murdered by her ex-boyfriend. So I was in a pretty paranoid state which still wasn't enough to get me to purchase any kind of firearm. The budget was tight and I never really discussed it with my wife.

Fast forward to 2009. A burglar breaks into my neighbor's place while she is home. The burglar assumed that no one was home because they only have one car and the husband was out. Well, I happen to hear the commotion but didn't realize what was happening. I go to check on both front and back doors and don't see anything since luckily she was able to get away and run to a neighbor's place further down. Minutes later, I'm walking my dog and that's when the police show up. One week later I purchased my first firearm, an XD45 (and since, have added a shotgun and a Glock 23). 2 months later I have my CCW.

Doing so much research on firearms introduced me to CCW and it only seemed natural. I never planned on it but now can't imagine no CCW.
chromedomepinoyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 13:28   #771
Loansharkxpin

Send a message via ICQ to Loansharkxpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiakk View Post
My defining moment to carry a gun was probally when I was born a red blooded American.
Thank you.

Agreed. Mine was when I turned 21 and was eligible to obtain a carry permit in Florida.

Since then, I attribute my ability to carry a firearm to have saved my life twice.

I'll leave it at that. Suffice it to say, things may not have turned out the way they did had I not been armed in those two instances.

I'll also say, I've had my share of backing away and leaving situations that could have escalated.

We should all take the responsibility of carrying a firearm very seriously.

It's not as cavalier as some would portray it. The bravado and talk is all balogna when you have to draw down on someone.
Loansharkxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:15   #772
ElectricZombie

I decided to carry for several reasons.

1. It's the responsible thing to do.
2. Only sheep run about unarmed.
3. I've had a few occasions where I really wished I had a gun, but didn't. It's not a good feeling.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:51   #773
ashecht

I CCW because carrying a cop is TOO heavy. Because I have seen several friends become victims of random violence, in the nicest parts of town, in broad daylight. I CCW because I want the playing field to be even if it every comes down to it
ashecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 15:21   #774
KTM950S

Defining moment that led me to CCW? Hmm, there never really was one.

All I know is that I have deeply ingrained childhood memories of being taught that I was responsible for my own personal safety, and when I turned 18 my parents gave me an old Colt Mustang Pocketlite .380. They told me to carry it at all times and that's just the way it was.

Although mom and dad were educated (mother was an academic), upstanding, law abiding citizens, I know they didn't pay much attention to whether or not the authorities gave me permission.

Now what I can do is show you the defining moments when I discovered the importance of CCW.

And here they are...the smug look at 2:42, and that stupid elitist smug smirk at 4:55.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1u0Byq5Qis
KTM950S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 18:27   #775
bmylesk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiakk View Post
My defining moment to carry a gun was probally when I was born a red blooded American.
Amen brother!
1) also i was born in Alabama, so guns are a passion.
2) if we don't exercise our freedoms and right, they'll be taken
3) im a veteran of the Airforce, therefore i will protect my fellow citizens abroad and here as well. (cops cant be every where at once)
4) when i was younger, my mother, sister, and grandmother were robber by ignorant "thugs" at gun point. thankfully they took off afterwords, and nothing else.
bmylesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 15:54   #776
RedRyder21

My first experience was when I was about 12. My parents and I were at my grandmothers house, which is very rural. My grandmother one day, while we were visiting, got a phone call from one of her old lady friends in town, who always had a scanner on.

Her old lady friend told her the Sheriffs Departments was in pursuit of an inmate who had escaped the (po-dunk) county jail and was spotted near her house! A few minutes later she called back and told my grandmother the man had got a hold of a boat and was going down the river which is about 500 yards from the house.

At this point my mother got a little worried, and woke up my father who was taking a nap. I remember we locked the doors, and later that evening heard they had caught the guy.

I remember being worried because all we had in the house, was an ancient single shot .410. I will never forget the feeling of being that young, and worried about what might happen if the inmate had made it to the house and got inside. I will never forget standing at the windows and watching the fields for an inmate being chased by L.E. on foot coming up through the fields from the woodline where the river is.

I have had very minor indent's since then, but that was the first time I truly thought about my safety and the fact L.E. was a long ways away. This was also in the days before 911.

I now conceal carry EVERYWHERE!

Last edited by RedRyder21; 07-14-2010 at 15:59..
RedRyder21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 18:10   #777
homeyclaus

I carry because of how much I dread the idea of standing at the pearly gates with my family and having to explain why I did not defend them. I am glad to live in a country that allows me the reasonably effective means of doing so.

Low post count != lack of experience
homeyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:35   #778
heehaw

I don't drink so turning 21 wasn't a big deal. In missouri you must be 23 years of age to obtain the CCW permit, so that's what I did!
heehaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:51   #779
cole9x19

I am new to glocktalk, but already a big fan.
anyways, my defining moment came when I was around 16.
Me and a friend were skateboarding in the parking lot of a local
Tom Thumb grocery store. I wasnt paying much attention to traffic or
anyone but my skating until I heard someone yell hey. I looked up to see
about 4 guys in a car and the back drivers side passenger lifted up and pointed
out the window at me what now I believe was at least a .45.. I remember looking right
into the barrel and not knowing what to do.. he just laughed and they took off. but since then Ive wanted to carry. I own a g 19 I just havent had the opportunity to get my license yet.
cole9x19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:21   #780
ImpactBlue

I'm also new to the forums, and shot a handgun (g17) for the first time last summer with a close friend of mine from high school. He got me hooked and I've been shooting glocks at the range ever since.

I guess I've had a few defining moments.

My best friend and team member (I race cars with a tight knit group of friends in the summer) lived in Minneapolis, MN back in late 2007 and 2008. It was in a pretty bad part of town. I heard gun shots more than my fair share of times sitting on the porch there.

I went to the gas station one night to pick up some pop once at about 10pm only to almost get jumped over a quarter. He ripped my car door open and got in my face. Not that a gun would have helped me in such a situation...but it happened more than once, and I wasn't always in my car.

My friend that owned the house was driving home and was shot at by people in another vehicle about 2 blocks from the house.

I've just seen too much bad stuff happen to good people, and although my incidents aren't too exciting or dangerous per se', this thread has blown me away with some of the stories I've read. It's enough for me to smarten up and prepare myself.

I pick up my gen 4 glock 19 tomorrow. Then it's off to the range to hone my skills before I sign up for my permit class.

Last edited by ImpactBlue; 07-22-2010 at 01:22..
ImpactBlue is offline   Reply With Quote