Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:00   #781
robert91922

Better be judged by twelve than carried by six

...because I believe the right to self-defense is not just my legal right it is furthermore and mostly my natural right

(I have already posted the same text elsewhere on GT, but now I saw this sticky thread and repeated)

But there was no particular moment in my life for this decision, just needed to feel safer and to know that I am the one who decides about my right to live, not some bad guy

Last edited by robert91922; 02-13-2011 at 02:04..
robert91922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:34   #782
Dr. Leaky
Know-It-All

I worked in San Francisco when the 1989 earthquake hit. Stuck in some bad areas with some bad people and no cops got my attention. When the Rodney King riots started in 1992 I worked in downtown Oakland. Watching that guy get dragged out of his truck and nearly being beaten to death plus seeing footage of the anarchy in the streets made it real hard to go to work the next day. Of course a CCW in California is not an option for most people and I'm not saying I carried illegally for a few days. As soon as I was financially able to get out of CA we moved to Arizona and one of the first things I did was to get to Gunsite and get my permit. Don't need it here as much as there, but I don't go unarmed any more.
Old 03-13-2011, 00:11   #783
hockeybrianboy

Send a message via AIM to hockeybrianboy
Yea

A few days before my sophomore year of college I was sitting outside a friend of mines sorority house. It wasn't a bad neighborhood or anything; it was maybe midnight on a weekend, and it was on campus. Sure, midnight on a weekend at a college campus the week before school starts it's going to be a lot of people out, there's no one stupid enough to try robbing anyone. We got robbed at gunpoint by 2 kids who couldn't have been older than 17. As scared as I was I can still remember how shaken up she was. And it was in Illinois where it's against the law to carry a gun.

From that point on I decided I wasn't going to leave my life in the hands of whatever punk, crack head or otherwise happened to pass me on the street. You can make all the laws in the world you want and have all the cops in the world you want; some people don't follow the law and the sad truth is the cops can't always get to you before bad things happen.

Your life and the lives of your loved ones should be worth enough to protect, I know mine is. Unfortunately in some states they don't allow you do to so. I've lived in Illinois almost all my life (one of the worst states for gun rights. Those gun laws really seem to be doing a lot of good for all the people getting shot in Chicago every year).

Last year in Chicago 52 people were shot and 7 killed IN JUST 3 DAYS!!!! That is absolutely insane. Funny thing about gun laws; they just leave those that actually follow them more vulnerable. If anything it encourages BG to carry guns because they know good people aren't carrying.

So after college I decided to move to a place where you're allowed to protect yourself (the exact same reason 3 of my friends from Illinois already moved there). I just purchased my first gun (glock 19 3rd gen) and am looking to go through the carry permit process immediately.

Who wishes they were carrying a gun now?

Last edited by hockeybrianboy; 03-13-2011 at 00:16..
hockeybrianboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 22:55   #784
TheCounselor

I've been lucky so far in that I have never been exposed to a serious crime or any serious violence...with that being said, the more I mature (I'm a college student), the more I come to realize just how many screwed up people there are in this world--many of which will kill you over practically nothing. I hope and pray that I never, ever have to use a weapon to defend myself...but I don't plan on being caught unprepared. I just can't get over the kinds of sick sh!! human beings are capable of.
TheCounselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 23:08   #785
ScottieG59

My less dramatic reasons

I always was a handgun guy as far back as I can remember. I grew up in a rural area in Pennsylvania. My friends and I were too young to get real handguns and cut our teeth on black powder cap and ball revolvers, since they were not considered real firearms. I did not carry back then, but a friend regularly carried a 36 Cal Colt replica.

In my mid 20s, I did a lot of range time and my father recommended a concealed carry permit to avoid problems on route to the range. I did not have any particular feeling about needing to be armed. Once I was legal, I started to carry because I could. The most likely issue would be a rabid critter and eventually, I became aware of the human threat and the inability of police officers to be near when needed.

Once I moved into town, I became more aware of crime and drug use. When I grew up, we did not lock doors and we could drive the family car with out the keys if it were unlocked. I had to adjust my understanding of what people were capable of doing to their neighbors. Eventually, I carried all the time. My choice was a Beretta 92 SB Compact 9mm normally, or a Ruger Speed-Six .357 Magnum.

In the family business, I often made deposits of over $100,000 due to some very large cash (yes, they were legal) transactions. In most cases, the employees knew I would make deposits. I was very careful not to have a pattern such as time or path traveled. Also, the employees never knew when I was going. I was determined not to get into an armed conflict on the trip. On one very large bank run, my father reminded me to be armed and a couple of the secretaries overheard. Up to then, nobody knew I was armed on the job except family. It was easy to conceal since I always wore a suit.

I had some situations that tested my discipline with concealed carry, but in most cases, I either did not have to draw the weapon or I was about to draw and fire, but got as far as unsnapping the strap before the bad guy ran off. In that case, I resnapped and went on with my business (Today, I would be more nervous).

Another time, I was visiting my parents country home late at night. I was with my son, who was about six. There was a loud crashing sound and it sounded as if someone broke in. I drew my 9mm and held it in one hand with my other hand firmly on my son. I found the intruders in the attic, and they turned out be be extremely loud and rowdy squirrels knocking things over.

Over the next 20 years, I carried less as I lived ovseas and worked for others. Also, I often went to New York and New Jersey and only criminals are allowed to be armed there. I let my Pennsylvania permit expire while living overseas.

Now, I live in a rural area in Kansas. There is crime here and homes have been broken in around here. The tipping point was a dog attack on one of our pets outside. When my wife called me, I had no idea what was up and I ran outside unarmed. I was faced down by a dog that had just killed our beloved family cat. The stand off lasted for about fifteen minutes and my only protection was my belt. I felt so helpless and unprepared. I kept a loaded gun in the homuse, but I no longer was in the habit of carrying. After this standoff, I was reminded of why I should carry all the time.

The incident got my thinking about family protection again. We had stopped going on walks due to feral and vicious dogs. Anyway, I now have my concealed carry permits (one for Kansas and one non-resident Florida permits which adds a few additional states). I also started to train again and got some newer guns. There are many more concealed carry guns available today. I primary carry is a Glock 27 with night sights.

My wife is not happy with me packing, but properly concealed, she does not see that I am armed. That keeps both of us happy.

Last edited by ScottieG59; 03-28-2011 at 23:10.. Reason: Typos
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 17:28   #786
CrimsonMKII

Send a message via AIM to CrimsonMKII
My wife made me do it!

A couple of months ago our house was burglarized. Some time between the morning hours of 10:00 am and 3:00 pm she arrived home with our kids to find the front door kicked in. She backed out of the driveway, called 911, and asked the neighbor to watch our kids.

Despite having barking dogs (a jack russel terrier and american bull dog puppy) it didn't stop them from violating our home.

We are insured, so the $3000 in items and perhaps double that in home damage means little to us. The safety of my wife and kids got me to thinking what if this happened while we were home. God forbid there is a next time and we are home.

My CCW class is Saturday. My wife will be following suit come this summer. We are teaching our boys about gun safety and I hope to continue shooting with them as they become old enough to join me at the range.
CrimsonMKII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 17:59   #787
joseywhales

After realizing the way the world seems to be going, if they or when they crash the dollar I expect the Zombies will be coming out looking for den den, if my movie logic is correct it's requires a head shot to rid them, so I practice alot!
joseywhales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:55   #788
Kith

Like some others in this thread, my decision to carry and following through with it were some time apart.

While I was growing up, in boy scouts I always figured that when I hit 21 i'd get my License, because it was one of my rights as a citizen. It really didn't have as much to do with protection as it did with 'because I can'.

Well, as soon as I was old enough to get my driver's license, I did. By this time i'd had plenty of practice driving, and as far as skill level goes, I was a good driver.

Spent about two years racking up speeding tickets, paying lawyer fees to plead 'reckless driving' charges down to 'careless driving', jumping my insurance rates. Got into some accidents, and still thought I was a 'good driver' because I could puch the edge of what the vehicle could do.

The lesson of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" was a hard one for me to learn. There's a certain level of responsibility that goes into making any decision, and that was somethign I didn't quite understand yet.

By the time I turned 21, I had realized that I wasn't responsible enough to get my driver's license when I did, and thankfully no one was injured or worse while I figured that out.

I didn't think it would be a good idea for me to go get my license, because I didn't trust my ability to responsibly carry a firearm at the time. Driving a car is one thing, shooting a gun is much, much more serious.

By this time, some of the kids I grew up with in scouts had fallen victim to senseless murders in Philadelphia. In every case having a firearm would've either prevented or given a fighting chance to those poor souls.

As much as I wanted to help prevent myself from becoming a victim by equipping myself with the tools necessary to contribute to my survival, at 21 I didn't feel I was in control of myself enough to do so. This realization certainly told me I was getting there, though.

I was still prone to temper tantrums, not trying hard enough to choke back my anger and letting it out just to get it out. I was never so out of control that I hurt anyone, or endangered the safety of another, I could never live with myself if that happened. One of the reasons why I thought I was okay with that lack of self control was because the only person who ever suffered from it. As childish as it was to do so, there is at least that.

Turning 21, and denying myself the right to exercise my 2A for the reasons cited above, was a huge landmark on my quest for self-dicipline. I worked very hard on controlling my emotions, and figuring out how I wanted to conduct my life.

It took me until I was 24 until I was sure I had enough self control and discipline to not do something inexcusably rash and stupid. I'd much rather risk my own safety then that of someone else, and not carrying in a place with a murder statistic as high as mine was an indisputable risk every day I didn't carry.

Personal accountabilty, taking responsibility for your actions, and honesty are 3 things that i've held in high regard my whole life. In being honest with myself, I decided that if it took me 3 years for me to think I was ready to shoulder the responsibility of carrying a firearm, then I was going to wait another 3 years before I did.

Part of that decision was because if I thought I was ready, then I should prove it to myself first. Part of that decision was also a punishment for not being a better person sooner.

At the end of the calendar year that I turned 27, I assessed the situation and determined that I proved I was ready, and immediately got the ball rolling on obtaining my license to carry.

Since then I feel a lot better that I have chosen to take more responsibility for my safety, and I am personally very proud of myself in the way I went about it.

As much as it's a right that shall not be infringed granted to me by being a citizen of this country, I feel like I earned it on a personal level by what I voluntarily put myself through before exercising it.

I also have a much more vested interest in the self-confidence that carrying a firearm brings, because my carrying it to me is a mark of personal growth and development that reminds me of my success in becoming a better person.

As for the exact moment I decided beyond a shadow of a doubt that not carrying was negligence towards my personal safety - it was standing over the casket of my third close friend who was a victim of senseless violence that may have been prevented by his carrying.

I made a silent promise to him at that viewing that I would carry, so that I could continue to live and keep his memory alive longer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
That's what I like about the Internet. It's safe to be among idiots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi
Indignation leads to itself. Education leads to solutions.
Kith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 23:16   #789
cangler
Republican!!

Just a couple years ago a female friend of mine was assaulted by few guys (that she didn't know) more then once and it really bothered me.
It made me realize that anybody can be a victim and it's a good idea to be prepared, that was the beginning of my firearm obsession... didn't really care about um prior to that.
Old 04-03-2011, 19:49   #790
retiredmarine

Send a message via Skype™ to retiredmarine
To carry or not to carry

First, I hope clicking reply was the right thing to do. I was thinking of starting a new thread. I have been thinking about this and would like other peoples opinion. I've had a pistol permit for quite some time but because of all the squirrly people around that I read and hear about I went for my concelled carry permit and got it last December. I have a hand me down colt 38 police special that is a nice piece but not quite what I want for carrying. I bought a Glock 26 9x19. I've only fired 200 rds. through it so far. (wife has been pretty sick for some time and hard to get time to shot) I joined USCCA and down loaded about 5 of the information pamplets they sent me. Reading them brought me to wonder if carrying is what I really want to do. One article said that I should contact a lawyer that is familar with gun laws and is pro-gun. That way if I had to use the weapon in a life or limb situation I would know right away who to call. It said that when the police come be sure to tell them that you felt your life was threatened, point out witnesses and say that because of the tence situation that you would prefer not to answer any questions at that time and would like to contact your lawyer but be sure to say that you felt that your life was threatened. It also said NOT to run off at the mouth because it would come back to haunt you in court. Another said "if you draw your pistol your life will change even if you don't fire a shot". Now I plan on defending myself and family or friends and not to become a victum but this information I received makes me wonder. Has anyone run into a situation where they needed a lawyer or went to court??? Thanks for any information you may give.
retiredmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 19:55   #791
retiredmarine

Send a message via Skype™ to retiredmarine
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredmarine View Post
First, I hope clicking reply was the right thing to do. I was thinking of starting a new thread. I have been thinking about this and would like other peoples opinion. I've had a pistol permit for quite some time but because of all the squirrly people around that I read and hear about I went for my concelled carry permit and got it last December. I have a hand me down colt 38 police special that is a nice piece but not quite what I want for carrying. I bought a Glock 26 9x19. I've only fired 200 rds. through it so far. (wife has been pretty sick for some time and hard to get time to shot) I joined USCCA and down loaded about 5 of the information pamplets they sent me. Reading them brought me to wonder if carrying is what I really want to do. One article said that I should contact a lawyer that is familar with gun laws and is pro-gun. That way if I had to use the weapon in a life or limb situation I would know right away who to call. It said that when the police come be sure to tell them that you felt your life was threatened, point out witnesses and say that because of the tence situation that you would prefer not to answer any questions at that time and would like to contact your lawyer but be sure to say that you felt that your life was threatened. It also said NOT to run off at the mouth because it would come back to haunt you in court. Another said "if you draw your pistol your life will change even if you don't fire a shot". Now I plan on defending myself and family or friends and not to become a victum but this information I received makes me wonder. Has anyone run into a situation where they needed a lawyer or went to court??? Thanks for any information you may give.
If you have a baseball bat, that's great but a bullet really, really hurts.
retiredmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:28   #792
Poppa Bear
CLM Number 45
Protective G'pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredmarine View Post
One article said that I should contact a lawyer that is familar with gun laws and is pro-gun. That way if I had to use the weapon in a life or limb situation I would know right away who to call. It said that when the police come be sure to tell them that you felt your life was threatened, point out witnesses and say that because of the tence situation that you would prefer not to answer any questions at that time and would like to contact your lawyer but be sure to say that you felt that your life was threatened. It also said NOT to run off at the mouth because it would come back to haunt you in court. Another said "if you draw your pistol your life will change even if you don't fire a shot". Now I plan on defending myself and family or friends and not to become a victum but this information I received makes me wonder. Has anyone run into a situation where they needed a lawyer or went to court??? Thanks for any information you may give.
I shortened your statement by a bit.

Forget the gun issue and think of it as a life changes issue.

Have you or a family member ever been involved in a serious car accident? Possible even some fault on your part?

Have you had some form of an injury because either you or something slipped because you were not paying attention, or due to an outside influence like being on the receiving end of another action?

Stuff happens and you need to be prepared for it. An acronym I learned from Massad Ayoob is CYA, Can You Articulate. Why did it happen? What part did you play in the situation? What part did others play in the situation? Where did it happen? What lead up to the situation? What happened immediately afterwards, 1 minute later, 5 minutes later......?

Answer these questions as best you can to yourself and in your own mind. You need to be cool calm and collected before you make any verbal or written statements that might come back to haunt you.

You cannot plan for everything that life will throw at you but the more you can plan for in advance the easier it will be to deal with what is thrown at you.

A gun friendly attorney is a plus as long as the attorney is also very capable. My primary attorney, I do not know what her feelings are about guns. I do know she is very good at what she does in the courtroom, and very good at listening to what we have to say.
"The Second Amendment is not about duck hunting, and I know I'm not going to make very many friends saying this, but it's about our right, all of our right to be able to protect ourselves from all of you guys up there." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp, appearing before Representative Charles Schumer's committee hearings on the assault weapons ban
Poppa Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 13:34   #793
amorican88

A couple different reasons for me -

First - Iowa becoming a "shall" issue state renewed an interest in carrying that I had thought about for years.

Second - My wife's ex-husband was in prison when we met and got married. He was released soon after we were married, and began sending letters, emails, and posting videos on the net about my wife and I and the custody dispute that was going on. He is the biological father of my wifes children. We hired an attorney to terminate his parental rights after he had failed to pay child support and comitted several more crimes, then fled the state. It took eight months to terminate his rights and for me to adopt the children. When he found out his rights had been terminated he came back to the state, robbed a bank and hotel at gunpoint. He was arrested the next day coming out of a hotel two miles from our house. I have no doubt he was planning us a visit. I've prepared myself to protect myself and my family because it's my responsibility. That series of events made me much more aware of how vulnerable we were.
amorican88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 19:19   #794
mtnglocker

28 years as a LEO instilled in me the need to protect myself, my family, and those around me.

My wife and I have state carry permits. I also have the federal authorization HR 218 as a retired LEO, and qualify with a local PD, on their course, once a year to comply. I became an NRA Pistol and Rifle Instructor over a year ago and volunteer my time to teach firearms classes, sponsored by local organizations.
Patriot Guard Rider...Support our Troops!
mtnglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:27   #795
Dr.Midnight

I'm a new member, and this will be my first post. I'm really looking forward to reading about everyones experiences here and learning a few new things along the way.

I'm just an Indiana country boy, and have had some type of firearm since I was a kid. I never really felt the need to take a firearm off the property until a few years ago. One morning I went to get a haircut. The barber I go to opens at eight. I got there fifteen minutes early, so I parked on the side of the street and waited for him to open up. As I was scanning though the paper, a guy came walking down the sidewalk past my truck. He didn't look like what I would consider a bum, but something about him just didn't sit right with me. He walked past my truck, but stopped about ten feet past and turned around to look at me. I had my window down, so being polite I said, "How are you doing this morning?" Without a word, this guys runs around the front of my truck and tries to open my passenger door. I started up my truck and took off around the block. I called the police to let them know what happened, but that's the last I heard about the incident.

I live in a small town, and crime isn't too bad where I live, but this incident really opened my eyes and made me realize that you never know what someone is capable of doing. I wasn't going to let myself get in the situation where someone burned out on drugs is going to injure me in some way.

Last edited by Dr.Midnight; 04-06-2011 at 03:28..
Dr.Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 19:05   #796
El Rubicon
Counter BG team

Didn't really think about it until I got out of the military (SFG-5, Ft Campbell, the Legion). All the robberies, car jackings, etc made me think twice and now I carry 24/7. The biggest difference I found between active wartime fighting and civilian mindset is a different set of laws to follow. In night drills you fire at the sounds, but in civialian life, you have to identify the target (and what's behind it) before firing. There is a whole mindset that needs to be kept separate for military and LEO when acting as a civilian or on off-duty, that includes strategy you use and all the implications of your actions. Anyway, carrying fulltime as a civilan just makes sense and is a right we should be honoring.
El Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 13:47   #797
Hogan123

Because of Fluffly

My defining moment was after being abducted by aliens in the 1990s. I was walking my dog, Fluffy, on summer night when a bright light appeared in the sky. I was transported to a spaceship, leaving poor little Fluffy all by himself. I had a .45 caliber in my house but did not CCW yet. My first thought was, man if I had my gun, I would plug these guys right between the eyes. But it was hard to find the middle of their eyes, because they had 17 of them. Anyway, after what felt like days, they let me go, unharmed… physically… sort of…

Fortunately my beloved Fluffy was waiting for me when I returned. I went the next day to get my CCW and carried ever since. Next time this happens, I’m ready!

OK, my defining moment didn’t really happen like that, but just saying “because of all the muggings in my neighborhood” just wasn’t as fun to write…
Hogan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 13:47   #798
texanbo

When I found out the wife and I would be having twin girls. I wanted to be able to protect them or at least give us a fighting chance.
texanbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:30   #799
ARJeff

My story is slightly long-winded, and is full of childish irresponsibility, with a sense of definite personal growth thrown into the mix. I was 16 years old, and had been drinking with a group of friends one night. We all went out to a local Steak and Shake, mind you I'm very much drunk at this point. While having our meals, we were all (6 of us) joking, and all around having a good night out basically. My memory isn't FLAWLESS of this night, but I can at least get the vast majority of parts out there, and I remember a group of people walking in, one of which was wearing a t-shirt that stated 'Soulfound Is A Rock Band'. To this day, I remember it so vividly. I play in a metal band myself, and had just started the group at 16, so I started blurting it stupid, drunken remarks, about how I was just like him, was in a rock band too, etc, etc. Just the typical 'drunken moron' behavior. This is where things get really fuzzy. I don't think I said another thing to him for the rest of the night. Whether or not my friends said anything I have no clue. Basically, the next thing I remember, was paying my bill, saying good night to the waiter (I went to that place a lot at night typically), and leaving with the group of friends I was with. I got into my friend's vehicle, and the other 4 people packed into another friend's car. The vehicle I was in started up, and my friend backed out of the parking lot. Just then, the man with the Soulfound shirt jumped up, and ran out front to his own vehicle. He spent a few seconds in, and then brandished a semi-auto. He was roughly 4 feet away from the vehicle I was in, and pointed it right at me, AFTER cocking it once (whether or not a round was actually in, or a magazine was even in I don't think I even care to know at this point). I just remember so vividly seeing that gun being pointed right at me. I completely froze up - I didn't think of anything, I didn't say anything, I was just stone cold. The next thing I know, I hear the sound of tires screeching, and my friend who's car I was in was peeling out of the parking lot. We drove for a few minutes in dead silence, and I just remember him saying 'did that really just happen?'.

That entire event was basically a wake up call, in more ways than one. Since then - yes, of course I've drank alcohol. However, if I've gone out in public, I've kept my mouth shut. I'm an incredibly sarcastic person, and unfortunately many times when people drink they don't realize that their sarcasm comes off as a flat out insult, and I refuse to take that chance anymore, thankfully. I'm now 20 years old, and personally I feel that I've grown exponentially since then. I've graduated high school, gotten a REAL job, performed sold out shows to a venue full of people, and have spent the past 4 years thinking back on that one night that I was on the receiving end of a barrel. My mother was shot at 15, and is now missing her right pinky, along with having her entire hand 'rebuilt' to say the least. I learned to shoot at 9 years old, using a 1980's model Ruger .357 Magnum revolver. I was brought up with the responsibility of living in a firearm-protected household. The night when I was 16 really showed me just what COULD have happened, worst case scenario obviously.

I know this post has been huge, but I literally have waited for my account to be activated to post here in this thread. I've never published my account of that night in a public forum, and it feels good to share my story. If there are any people who tend to have a 'drunken mouth', I truly hope that they can learn from this story, and not make the same stupid mistake I have.

In short, I hope to be a contributing member of this forum, and I can't wait to jump into the Glock world, as the model 31 I have currently is absolutely great. I couldn't be happier.
ARJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:40   #800
Erayzer

Why I CCW!!

Simple....to protect the family!!!!
Erayzer is offline   Reply With Quote