Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-02-2007, 18:53   #1
NoloContendere
OAF Lawyer

US Senate 2008!

Hey everyone,

I wanted to let everyone know that I will be running for United States Senate in 2008 against Thad Cochran.

www.stambo2008.com

One of my biggest issues is to completely abolish the ATF and repeal all gun control legislation.

The website is not 100% yet, but it will give you an idea of what I'm running on.

Any support would be appreciated!

Stephen
Old 09-03-2007, 19:06   #2
NRA_guy
Unreconstructed

Good luck! That's a big mountain to climb.

Is the election this November? [shows my ignorance]

Will you run as an independent or with party affiliation?

Thad has actually been pretty good. He voted against the amnesty for illegal immigrants bill (unlike Trent Lott).

And NRA likes him, too.

Conservatives have faith in individuals; liberals put their faith in the government.

Last edited by NRA_guy; 09-04-2007 at 05:07..
NRA_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 20:00   #3
MidnightJMC

I'll be checking out your website regularly for updates. You're gonna have your hands full with this one buddy. Congrats on deciding to run!
MidnightJMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:30   #4
NoloContendere
OAF Lawyer

The election will be next year. I'm busy doing all the prequalification stuff.

My biggest gripe with Thad has been that he hasn't done enough. I know he's rated an A by the NRA, but that is going to seem like an F once the NRA "rates" me.

He's been in since 78'ish? Maybe it's just time for some new energy to come in.

I will be seeking the Republican nomination. Thanks for the support! I will be using the internet a lot and asking for all of your help once I get signs and other stuff made.

Stephen
Old 09-04-2007, 10:40   #5
BuLC86

GOOD LUCK n You know that you will be getting all of my votes
BuLC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 23:03   #6
Lobo
Who farted??

Website looks nice and is easy to navigate. Congrats to you for taking this on.

Chris
#9 Mississippi Club

#520 Smith & Wesson Club

#520 Browning Hi Power Club
Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:09   #7
lumberjack
One of Many

Send a message via AIM to lumberjack
Looking good Stephen, you're right, Thad isn't and hasn't done jack in the past 30 years, heck not even a sex scandel.

One thing I love is the tax brackets but equal voting rights. I had to pay 1/3 of my income last year in income tax alone, because I'm self employeed with minimal write offs, yet my vot counts the same.
lumberjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:21   #8
slewfoot
Random Mayhem

Good Luck Stephen.
slewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 17:17   #9
K.C. Dia

How old are you? You don't look thirty!
K.C. Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 20:12   #10
NoloContendere
OAF Lawyer

Quote:
Originally posted by K.C. Dia
How old are you? You don't look thirty!
I will be by then.

I finish my 3rd year in law school in December... and take the bar February.
Old 09-08-2007, 21:01   #11
K.C. Dia

What district do you live in? Have you considered a run for congress instead. A congressman would be easier to take down than a senator with 30 Plus years of seniority. Your chances of defeating Cochran are zero. I repeat, zero.
Old 09-08-2007, 21:40   #12
NoloContendere
OAF Lawyer

Quote:
Originally posted by K.C. Dia
What district do you live in? Have you considered a run for congress instead. A congressman would be easier to take down than a senator with 30 Plus years of seniority. Your chances of defeating Cochran are zero. I repeat, zero.
Thanks for your vote of confidence. I will not entertain a Congress seat run, and I'm not doing this because it's easy.

Your the first person, out of hundreds that I've spoken to, that has expressed a zero chance of me winning. And this is on a gun board. Amazing.
Old 09-09-2007, 15:25   #13
PARAGON

Re: US Senate 2008!

Quote:
Originally posted by NoloContendere
Hey everyone,

One of my biggest issues is to completely abolish the ATF and repeal all gun control legislation.
I won't vote for you.

2 wrongs don't make a right.
PARAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 15:30   #14
PARAGON

Quote:
Originally posted by NoloContendere
Thanks for your vote of confidence. I will not entertain a Congress seat run, and I'm not doing this because it's easy.

Your the first person, out of hundreds that I've spoken to, that has expressed a zero chance of me winning. And this is on a gun board. Amazing.
course, I'm not the person running for a seat. But wouldn't someone that's running need know that the Senate is part of the United State's Congress? Therefore, you are, indeed, stating your intention to run for Congress.
PARAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 16:18   #15
NoloContendere
OAF Lawyer

I understood what the person was referring to.

What do you understand to be a wrong? How is abolishing one of the most unconstitutional agency's a wrong? Am I missing something?
Old 09-10-2007, 04:59   #16
NRA_guy
Unreconstructed

For some reason (and it is something I have wondered about for decades) US Represenatives are referred to as "Congressmen"; i.e., Congressman Chip Pickering, Congressman Bennie Thompson, etc.

But US Senators are refrerred to as "Senators"; i.e., Senator Trent Lott, Senator John Stennis, etc.

It is true. Both houses are part of Congress, but Senators are never referred to as Congresmen.

I'm not sure why.

PS: To you unbelievers---Nolo is young. Thad is old. Most Mississippi voters don't know diddly about candidates. They vote based upon name recognition.

They go in the poll booth and say, "I've heard of this guy. Click."

Nolo is not stupid or naive. He is most likely planning for the long term, not the short term.

Conservatives have faith in individuals; liberals put their faith in the government.

Last edited by NRA_guy; 09-10-2007 at 05:02..
NRA_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:27   #17
NoloContendere
OAF Lawyer

Quote:
Originally posted by NRA_guy

PS: To you unbelievers---Nolo is young. Thad is old. Most Mississippi voters don't know diddly about candidates. They vote based upon name recognition.

They go in the poll booth and say, "I've heard of this guy. Click."

Nolo is not stupid or naive. He is most likely planning for the long term, not the short term.
Old 09-10-2007, 19:17   #18
haras
Glock revolver?

Senator, I think you're missing a good publicity opportunity if you pass on my idea of organizing clean-up of remote local ranges.

This is a résumé' item that won't cost much. The idea is for you to organize the people here (and from wherever you can get them) to meet at one of these rural ranges to clean it up. I'll even donate the garbage bags.

Everyone doesn't have to cross the entire state but could help with ranges within reasonable driving distance to them. No-one has to make every trip.

Carpooling is also an option. Throw some rakes and work gloves in the trunk then pile in for a road trip. Talk guns and shooting on the way there and complain about sore backs on the way home. Before heading back we all could eat lunch at some local establishment (talk more guns).

The local guys would be responsible for disposing of what is collected (that may include appliances if my suspicions are correct). A picture should be taken before and after so a story could be told at some point.

Yeah, the ranges will get trashed again but the helping hand gives the locals a chance to catch-up on the trash. A notice could be posted explaining what was done to clean the place up. It wouldn't be a bad idea to let the property owners know what was done.

You could start a movement......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by haras; 09-10-2007 at 19:20..
haras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 19:43   #19
K.C. Dia

Quote:
Originally posted by PARAGON
course, I'm not the person running for a seat. But wouldn't someone that's running need know that the Senate is part of the United State's Congress? Therefore, you are, indeed, stating your intention to run for Congress.
I wasn't "dissing" you, but in order to defeat Cochran, you will have to beat him in the republican primary. The primaries are controlled by political bosses, and they won't we willing to ditch a 30 year plus senator for a new face. They will pour more money into the campaign than you can overcome. On the other hand, I think that some of the congressmen are vulnerable. Mississippi keeps reelecting their senators until they die are retire, which ever comes last!
Old 09-10-2007, 20:32   #20
NoloContendere
OAF Lawyer

I understand what you are saying KC, I just have to try. That's all I can do right now. Money might have bought every previous election, but I need to show people that we can do it with little money expended.

Haras,

I like your idea, and will work on that.

Stephen