Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-04-2007, 21:35   #1
Big-V316

How is Krav Maga for self defense?

I am wanting to get into some type of self defense training not interested in sport at all. How is Krav Maga as far as self defense is concerned? Is it a realistic form of combative? I have seen some of these so called realistic combat arts trying to get a guy my age (44yrs) to do high kicks and jumping kicks and that just ain't gonna happen!
Any info would help.

Big-V316
Big-V316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 18:42   #2
ltgibson2001

Send a message via AIM to ltgibson2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ltgibson2001
The highest kick I have seen taught in Krav is to the midsection. You can do a search on here and find some of what your wanting to know or try http://12.107.28.178/ for specific technique related questions.

Me personally I think it's great for self defense because that's what it was made for and has no sport application. I do think some ground training would be a good supplement to it. Krav has ground work in it and more is constantly being added, but the main focus of krav on the ground is to be able to get off the ground asap. Which isn't a bad idea but if your unable to get off the ground you need to be able to fight there. As far as it being realistic it has worked for the Israelis nd it's constantly being tested for real over there. No gi, no katas, just whip ass.
Old 09-06-2007, 21:41   #3
K-DOG

It is better than nothing. But it is not the be all end all in self defense. My problem with Krav is that it is based in theory on how the human body reacts. You spar with a compliant opponent. I personally think someone would be better off with training in boxing/kickboxing and wrestling then add Krav or Kung fu San Soo training. Find a boxing gym and a wrestling club and you will be good to go.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:56   #4
Big-V316

Does it depend on who teaches it as to how realistic it is? K-DOG said that the training partners he has seen were compliant. Is that specific to each individual instructor or school or is how the style is taught. I have boxed in the past but gym closed down for financial reasons. I also took Uechi Ryu karate ( back when still healed quickly) they emphasized body conditioning but again the training was not dynamic except for when you sparred. A friend of mine is taking Krav not far from where I live and he loves it but this his first experience in martial arts and he has nothing to compare it to. I suppose I need to go and check out a class and see what they do. I just want to make sure that whatever I get involved in is more defensive that ART. I don't have the time or patients for ART.
Big-V316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:44   #5
gr81disp
Bushbot v1.0

Send a message via AIM to gr81disp
I have done a little bit of research lately and from what I can tell, it depends on the instructor. Some are good and teach self-defense and others are LARP*-tastic RBSD** shysters. Look for a school that spars full-contact.

I do have one gripe about KM and it is more about the internet guys. They always put down "sport" fighting, like BJJ, Muay Thai, and MMA as self-defense because those MAs were not specifically tailored for "teh 5TR337" like KM. Any Martial Art that spars at or near full-contact is good for self-defense, because if you get a knife pulled on you or multiple opponents, the best martial arts are run-jitsu and glock-fu.

*LARP=Live-Action-Role-Playing
**RBSD=Reality Based Self Defense

If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory.
gr81disp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 22:29   #6
Islander-11
Meat detective

You won't find this Krav Maga guy putting down other martial arts. To each his own. Find something you like and stick with it.
I boxed for a long time. The problem is, IMHO, that boxing alone won't get the job done.
If you need to find something to get you quickly to a point where you could successfully defend yourself, then I would strongly recommend Krav Maga.

Tag along to a class with your friend. I suspect that you will like it.