Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:23   #1
kiwibird1
Loadmaster

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwibird1
State requirements?

Does any one know what the state requirements are to open up gun shop would be?
kiwibird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:37   #2
sidewinder6

Im guessing that this would be more a local zoning issue depending on where you want to locate. I havent read there are 'State' issues other than transactional ones. County and City ordinances will be your first place to research. Then your FFL gets nailed to that.

Mind you, I havent gone down this road. My comments are from Gutmachers book of rules.
sidewinder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 18:06   #3
Gmountain

Re: State requirements?

Quote:
Originally posted by kiwibird1
Does any one know what the state requirements are to open up gun shop would be?
Same as opening any other business.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 20:29   #4
kiwibird1
Loadmaster

Re: Re: State requirements?

Quote:
Originally posted by Gmountain
Same as opening any other business.
I have never opened any other business. That is why I asked the question. I figured this particular section of this particular forum would be the apropriate place to ask this particular question.
Old 09-12-2007, 20:58   #5
Gmountain

Go to your county administration building. You'll need to get an occupational license. You may need a city occupational license. You should incorporate. You'll need a federal tax ID number, and a Florida Dept of Revenue sales tax number.

You will need to get a lease or buy a building. You'll need to get an FFL. You will need a baqnk account; the bank can get you set up for credit cards.

You ought to talk to a lawyer who handles business law. It would help in a lot of areas.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:19   #6
kiwibird1
Loadmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Gmountain
Go to your county administration building. You'll need to get an occupational license. You may need a city occupational license. You should incorporate. You'll need a federal tax ID number, and a Florida Dept of Revenue sales tax number.

You will need to get a lease or buy a building. You'll need to get an FFL. You will need a baqnk account; the bank can get you set up for credit cards.

You ought to talk to a lawyer who handles business law. It would help in a lot of areas.
Thanx for the help. That was helpful.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:36   #7
sidewinder6

I have a number of businesses, so I can advise you to a degree. The limit being that our place is not a gun store. That said, we had some pecularities about our sight because we run a satellite earth station which, on the scale of things finding a place where the locals will allow you to have large antennas is possibly more difficult than finding one which allows the sales of firearms.

Gmountain is largely correct. I might suggest using a realtor to help you secure a place for your business that is properly zoned for this type of business and also a good location so your business wont fail in 2 months because nobody likes finding your store.

When you make an offer to lease, make it contingent on local government approvals. You will have to build out the place before you can open, and you will have a lot of inspectors running around.

Since your starting a new business, it is easy to set up a corporation online. This can be accomplished in a day. Then you need to establish what type of corporation your going to run, (C, S, LLC) and obtain a Tax ID number from IRS. When you have those, you can set up the bank account and apply to the government for your FFL at that location. I read there are issues if the business is the FFL versus if YOU are the FFL. You need to decide how you want to resolve that.

The rest depends on how much money your putting into the business to get it started because you will not likely obtain any commercial funding in the form of loans or consignments of inventory.
sidewinder6 is offline   Reply With Quote

« 9/11 | Fl Nfa? »