Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-30-2007, 22:58   #1
xd45acp

Switch Blades

Does anyone know why a cpl holder in michigan cant carry a auto knife and who and what can we do to try to change this ? i want a microtech
Old 08-31-2007, 00:00   #2
Trebor

The Concealed Pistol License is only for *pistols*. It has nothing to do with any other weapons. It does not grant the holder any additional privileges when it comes to carrying knives or any other weapons.

Switchblades are illegal to carry under Michigan law. There is one exception, and you could arrange it so you could carry under that exception, but I don't think you'd like the process...

As to changing the laws, their doesn't seem to be any outcry to change our knife laws. Contact your state reps and start a pro-knife group if you want to work on changing the laws.
CCW classes and private instruction in the Metro Detroit and Lansing areas
Trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:05   #3
Warhorse

Quote:
Originally posted by Trebor
The Concealed Pistol License is only for *pistols*. It has nothing to do with any other weapons. It does not grant the holder any additional privileges when it comes to carrying knives or any other weapons.

Switchblades are illegal to carry under Michigan law. There is one exception, and you could arrange it so you could carry under that exception, but I don't think you'd like the process...

As to changing the laws, their doesn't seem to be any outcry to change our knife laws. Contact your state reps and start a pro-knife group if you want to work on changing the laws.
Whats wrong with becoming an LEO in MI? They can have switchblades with department permission.

I know...you are refering to the one armed law
Sig Sauer Club #814
Rimfire Club #814
J Frame Snubbie Club #814
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:05   #4
deadite
Groovy.

According to the law, what exactly is a switchblade? I carry assisted opening folders all the time. I'd hate to think I'd get in trouble for it.

deadite
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 14:48   #5
zbusdriver

Quote:
Originally posted by deadite
According to the law, what exactly is a switchblade? I carry assisted opening folders all the time. I'd hate to think I'd get in trouble for it.

deadite
Michigan - 750.226a. Pocket knife opened by mechanical device...
Any person who shall sell or offer to sell, or
any person who shall have in his possession any knife
having the appearance of a pocket knife, the blade or
blades of which can be opened by a flick of a button,
pressure on a handle or other mechanical contrivance shall
be guilty of a misdemeanor... [Also, concealed carry may
be charged as a felony under 750.227.] The provisions of
this section [750.226a] shall not apply to any one-armed
person carrying a knife on his person in connection with
his living requirements.
Old 08-31-2007, 16:11   #6
deadite
Groovy.

You know, what the hecK difference is there between a regular pocket knife and an assisted one anyway? It's not like the blade shoots across the room and kills people. It's just an easier way to getthe blade out.

deadite
Old 08-31-2007, 20:39   #7
G30MI

Quote:

deadite
I don't think the statute applies to spring-assisted knives. I interpret the 'mechanical contrivance' provision as referring to moving parts that assist the blade in opening.

Last edited by G30MI; 09-01-2007 at 11:40..
G30MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:34   #8
JellyBelly
Meat Popsicle

Quote:
You know, what the hecK difference is there between a regular pocket knife and an assisted one anyway? It's not like the blade shoots across the room and kills people. It's just an easier way to getthe blade out.

deadite
It is based in ethnic bias. Think of who carried switchblades when they were banned in Michigan.

(Back when there society felt there was a difference between the Irish and Italians, and they weren't all lumped in together as "whites".)
When a man abandons the upbringing of their children to their wives, a big loss is suffered by themselves. For what they lose is the possibility of growth in themselves for being human, which the stimulation of bringing up one's children gives.

Ashley Montague, Anthropolgist, 1964
JellyBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:45   #9
Punctilious1

I read about a case where a judge held that a spring-assited knife was tantamount to a switchblade. It's a grey area. I'll see if I can find and post it.
Old 09-01-2007, 14:53   #10
john_glock_mi

Why bring a knife to a gunfight?

Old 09-03-2007, 04:36   #11
Generalcarry
NRA Member

Quote:

deadite
If they are not allowed in Mi according to our laws of state, why do most stores carry the Kershaws? It would seem the lawyers for these stores would have fully researched that issue before they were put out for sale.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:32   #12
deadite
Groovy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Generalcarry
If they are not allowed in Mi according to our laws of state, why do most stores carry the Kershaws? It would seem the lawyers for these stores would have fully researched that issue before they were put out for sale.
That's right. I hate how ambiguos the laws are.

deadite
Old 09-13-2007, 06:23   #13
NailShooter

Quote:
Generalcarry

.....If they are not allowed in Mi according to our laws of state, why do most stores carry the Kershaws?......
Kershaws FINISH OPENING themselves in a semi automatic mode only after you have begun to open the blade (manually) a given amount. That is not the same as the operation of a switchblade. A switchblade opens TOTALLY on its own with only the push of a button. It can be hard for some to wrap their minds around this distinction, but it was a brilliant read of the law by a knife designer.
Many (myself included) have opined that the Kershaws actually open faster than a true switchblade. I have played with both and find this to be true--for me. Just searching for the magic button on the swichblade takes more time than giving the thumb stud a flick on the Kershaw.

The Kershaws appear not to violate the switchblade laws as far as the *exact wording* of what constitutes a "switchblade". Whether Kershaws violate the intent of the law is likely where a few court cases have been argued.

I agree it's just silly that we can't carry an auto opener. Our "CPL" license needs to be changed to a "CCW" license.

Nail
NailShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 17:59   #14
Punctilious1

Quote:
Originally posted by NailShooter
Kershaws FINISH OPENING themselves in a semi automatic mode only after you have begun to open the blade (manually) a given amount. That is not the same as the operation of a switchblade. A switchblade opens TOTALLY on its own with only the push of a button. It can be hard for some to wrap their minds around this distinction, but it was a brilliant read of the law by a knife designer.
Many (myself included) have opined that the Kershaws actually open faster than a true switchblade. I have played with both and find this to be true--for me. Just searching for the magic button on the swichblade takes more time than giving the thumb stud a flick on the Kershaw.

The Kershaws appear not to violate the switchblade laws as far as the *exact wording* of what constitutes a "switchblade". Whether Kershaws violate the intent of the law is likely where a few court cases have been argued.

I agree it's just silly that we can't carry an auto opener. Our "CPL" license needs to be changed to a "CCW" license.

Nail
I have a Kershaw Onion pocket knife and that baby completely opens with one push of my index finger. I am afraid it will fit the legal description of a switchblade.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:21   #15
TFin04

Quote:
Originally posted by Punctilious1
I have a Kershaw Onion pocket knife and that baby completely opens with one push of my index finger. I am afraid it will fit the legal description of a switchblade.
Even if it doesn't fit that bill, will whatever cop you're talking to understand that? Do you want to be the test case?

There are much better knives in that price range that open and close smoothly and quickly, are built better and have much better materials.

I don't carry a knife for self defense (+1 on the knife in a gun fight comment), it is merely a tool that I use every day. I don't need gimmicks or a knife that will open a half second quicker.

Spyderco is what will reside in my pocket until the day I die. I may even write a request to be buried with one.
TFin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 15:22   #16
xd45acp

the thing is why cant we carry what ever we want to wether it be a auto or manual. why are we (cpl holders. i know its a concealed pistol licence) limited to handguns only ? why can cops an milatary carry what ever they want ? that was the point of this post and maybe we should try to change this. all of us know if it can down to it we would not pull a knife in a gunfight
Old 09-17-2007, 16:12   #17
Walter45Auto

Send a message via Yahoo to Walter45Auto
Re: Switch Blades

Quote:
Originally posted by xd45acp
Does anyone know why a cpl holder in michigan cant carry a auto knife and who and what can we do to try to change this ? i want a microtech
I can't count how many times I've asked the same about Texas. "We trust you with as many loaded, chambered handguns as you can hide, but you can't carry a club, switchblade, bowie knife, etc..... You might cause trouble with those."

Old 09-17-2007, 17:00   #18
TAC-GLOCK

Quote:
Originally posted by NailShooter

Nail

That didn't work either. When I had my "Unrestricted CCW" in Michigan, I could still not carry concealed, or in my vehicle, certain knives, loaded rifles, loaded shotguns, black jacks, expandable baton, Police Grade MACE, etc.
TAC-GLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 19:20   #19
JellyBelly
Meat Popsicle

I've got a nice Benchmade auto but I don't dare take it out of the house.Michigan Glockers
When a man abandons the upbringing of their children to their wives, a big loss is suffered by themselves. For what they lose is the possibility of growth in themselves for being human, which the stimulation of bringing up one's children gives.

Ashley Montague, Anthropolgist, 1964
JellyBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 22:48   #20
xd45acp

so is there anything we can try to do i am sure there are alot of people just like us. i just dont know where to start