Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-16-2007, 21:13   #1
chowchow

Anyone here hunted wild pigs in Philippines

I remember visiting the Bataan SHrine with the big cross atop the hill in 1993. Looking towards the north side is thick virgin forest going all the way to Subic Naval base. Someone told me theres plenty of wild hogs roaming in that thick rainforest. Other similar areas withe hogs abound are in Mindoro and Palawan. Wonder if some members here had experienced hunting Philippine Ilahas na Baboy . I bet the NPA rebels are taking all the fun huntng them, LOL.

I had the chance to hunt in 2000. This is a medium size feral hog taken somewhere in N Texas . Shot from 80 yds away with a .25 06 cal.

Last edited by chowchow; 09-16-2007 at 21:44..
chowchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 21:51   #2
CatsMeow

Wild pig hunting used to be fairly common in Negros, but I haven't heard of these lately; I'll ask around. Or perhaps if these hunters fail to find a wild pig then the first gray-colored domestic pig they find is fair game. You know, the practice of "manukmo".

Yesterday, at the range, I finally got to fire a .308 bolt action rifle; more recoil than an M14 but not so bad.
CatsMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 22:01   #3
chowchow

.308 caliber bolt action rifles are very accurate. Popular talaga yan dito na caliber. I was tempted to get one before a model Remington 788 but settled for a Remington 700 from a fellow club member.

Yeah, when as a kid I played with our neigborhood friends . One of them is a son whose dad was a former USAFFE vet. He owns a M 1 carbine. He goes to Camp Lookout in Mt Talinis and hunted deers. He had trophy heads mounted on their walls. Big time yun sila . Marami pang deers back in the 50s to 60s sa Negros. Oh well those were the days.
Old 09-16-2007, 22:02   #4
isuzu

Wild hogs are nearly extinct in Negros. We used to have a good supply coming from our farm which is at the foot of the mountains. Irresponsible hunting, trapping and deforestation clearly diminished the wild hog population in Negros.

There are moves to re-populate the remaining forests with wild hogs. IMHO, they and other wild animals should never be hunted again. They don't stand a chance to thrive if they were to hunted/trapped again because their habitat is shrinking.

Leave them for the future generations to see.

Samozaryadniy Karabin sistemi Simonova

Last edited by isuzu; 09-16-2007 at 22:04..
isuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 22:09   #5
jerrytrini

I have hunted wild boars in the mountains of Zambales during my HS days. My father, uncle, movie star Mario Montenegro, and I went hunting and were lucky enough to have brought down some wild pigs. I was told by some farmers and old friends that wild game is again plentiful in the Zambales mountains. However, people are still afraid due to the presence of certain groups of people whose behaviour are beyond acceptable.

Last edited by jerrytrini; 09-16-2007 at 22:15..
jerrytrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 22:18   #6
CatsMeow

Quote:
Originally posted by chowchow
.308 caliber bolt action rifles are very accurate. Popular talaga yan dito na caliber. I was tempted to get one before a model Remington 788 but settled for a Remington 700 from a fellow club member.

Yeah, when as a kid I played with our neigborhood friends . One of them is a son whose dad was a former USAFFE vet. He owns a M 1 carbine. He goes to Camp Lookout in Mt Talinis and hunted deers. He had trophy heads mounted on their walls. Big time yun sila . Marami pang deers back in the 50s to 60s sa Negros. Oh well those were the days.
One prominent gun club member here had an M-2 carbine. I was sorely tempted to reach over and surreptitiously flick the selector to auto so that he'd get a nasty surprise.

No wonder I never heard of wild pig hunting lately, and those who do, speak of it in a nostalgic tone...
CatsMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 22:24   #7
chowchow

Quote:
Originally posted by jerrytrini
I have hunted wild boars in the mountains of Zambales during my HS days. My father, uncle, movie star Mario Montenegro, and I went hunting and were lucky enough to have brought down some wild pigs. I was told by some farmers and old friends that wild game is again plentiful in the Zambales mountains. However, people are still afraid due to the presence of certain groups of people whose behaviour are beyond acceptable.
Tutuo yan the Mt Pinatubo area was very thick forest too. No body thought it was a dormant volcano until the day.
Old 09-16-2007, 22:27   #8
chowchow

Quote:
Originally posted by isuzu
Wild hogs are nearly extinct in Negros. We used to have a good supply coming from our farm which is at the foot of the mountains. Irresponsible hunting, trapping and deforestation clearly diminished the wild hog population in Negros.

There are moves to re-populate the remaining forests with wild hogs. IMHO, they and other wild animals should never be hunted again. They don't stand a chance to thrive if they were to hunted/trapped again because their habitat is shrinking.

Leave them for the future generations to see.

Grabe ang deforestation sa atin. Domestic livestocks na lang ang naiwan.
Old 09-17-2007, 00:40   #9
Glock_19_9x19
Toink!

Sa batasan pag may session marami nyan..
Band of Glockers Philippines.#80
The Wheelhouse...............#81
Niner's Club.................#120
G1 Niners....................#1700
Glock_19_9x19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:27   #10
enting

better hunt criminals, its a great help to the community. Kawawa naman mga wild boar.
enting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:27   #11
Duckman1975

Wild pigs are getting very rare due to deforestation, I suggest you hunt for cane toads. Those damn pest are everywhere during the rainy season, especially in Pangasinan, and you are doing the ecology a favor hunting them. I know its no substitute for big game but I can assure you it can be lots of fun, plus if you want to save on ammo you can shot them with airrifles just as effective.
Duckman1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:31   #12
charlie-xray
Gunpowder Adik

Send a message via Yahoo to charlie-xray
Done hunting of deers in Bicol Legaspi at times Tiaong way back early 90's had the Antlers preserved in Laquer and mounted on a frame.
charlie-xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:37   #13
low profile

just wild chicks for me
low profile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:39   #14
charlie-xray
Gunpowder Adik

Send a message via Yahoo to charlie-xray
Saaan yan bro low profile, masarap shoot...shootin

Quote:
Originally posted by low profile
just wild chicks for me
charlie-xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:28   #15
antediluvianist

Long time ago, I hunted wild pigs in Palawan. Around a place called "Del Pilar". Used to be (still is?) where San Mig got a lot of its sand for the bottles. There was a sandy airstrip.

Anyway, there were 3 ways of killing wild pigs : .22 rifles fired from a platform in a tree ; using shotguns, if you are on the ground ; and the best but least fun - "Pig bombs" - coconut husks that were hollowed out and explosive was put into them, with a detonating device (these things went off at night when the pigs foraged).

Don't know if there are many wild pigs left. Too many people.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:32   #16
Allegra

Wild animals here are almost extinct
Allegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:25   #17
chowchow

Quote:
Originally posted by Allegra
Wild animals here are almost extinct

Overpop na kasi ang bayan. WIth more babies and expats coming in(Philippines, a retirement place), more lands are loss to deforestation . Plus the problem of insurgency in the countrysides, the wild games are gone for good.

The island of Borneo (Inodnesis) is still known to be highly forested and full of wild hogs.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:25   #18
chowchow

Quote:
Originally posted by low profile
just wild chicks for me
Nako, ang dami kahat saan dyan huh. Magaganda pa.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:31   #19
chowchow

Quote:
Originally posted by Glock_19_9x19
Sa batasan pag may session marami nyan..
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapc...eref=rss_world

Could he be one ?
Old 09-17-2007, 16:12   #20
jerrytrini

In addition, the forest that has the most wild animals is the former US Naval Base Subic Bay. If you would notice the thick vegetation in and around this installation. Hunting was stopped since Subic Bay was developed into a military installation in the late 1900's. You can imagine the size of deer, pythons, boar etc. In the early evening hours, motorists can see different animals crossing the roadways in Binictican all the way to Kalayaan.

The creeks that cut across the golf course fairways are full of fish as well. I was playing golf one morning when I noticed several Aetas knee deep in water. They told me they were harvesting "Suso" (shellfish)and "Pako" (edible ferns). They would even sell you freshly cut bamboo shoots.
jerrytrini is offline   Reply With Quote