Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:25   #1
dberry

may get deployed to iraq?

I may be going to Iraq in January. I was just wondering what I should expect. I have two toddlers and a wife. WHat should I prepare them and me for. Realize question is gerenal any info would help.Thanks
Old 09-19-2007, 06:18   #2
Currahee
NRA Member

What MOS are you? What kind of unit are you with? Iraq is a completely different experience based on what kind of job you do over there.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:17   #3
deadday

Quote:
Originally posted by Currahee
What MOS are you? What kind of unit are you with? Iraq is a completely different experience based on what kind of job you do over there.
Definately.

As to the family, well, there's really no way to prepare them for your absence. The toddlers will handle it much better than the wife, though try not to be upset if they treat you as a stranger when you first get back. Make sure you tie up any legal, finnancial, or other matters before you leave so that your wife doesn't have any added stressors. Make sure your wife knows how to contact your units Rear-d as well as any support channels she may need (red cross, FRG, etc.). A bit on the morbid side here, but make sure that you have a Will written up, make sure your emergency contact info is up to date, and that your SGLI info is current. Make sure that your wifes name is on all the accounts that she would need access to for payment and to resolve issues (phones, cable, gas, electric, bank accounts, etc.). Just a few things that come to mind, I'll shoot you some more when I think of them...

drew
deadday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 14:18   #4
dberry

may get deployed to Iraq

I forgot to tell that my units main mission is convoy security but my MOS is 45B small arms repair.Thanks
Old 09-19-2007, 18:41   #5
xxiv
NRA Member

Send a message via ICQ to xxiv Send a message via AIM to xxiv
Has your unit had any training in reacting to contact while mounted?
Old 09-19-2007, 18:53   #6
Currahee
NRA Member

Well I am sure that a lot has changed since I got back in August 2005.

The best advice I can give you is to really pay attention to your NCOs who have been there before and especially the unit that you relieve. When you get there you will probably do "left and right seat drives" with the unit you replace and that will give you a chance to learn from them. Take everything they say very seriously.

One mistake I think a lot of guys that are new make - things seem quiet so they assume it is safe. In Iraq, there is really no pattern to when you will make contact so you can never let your guard down. You are always being watched. The units that look prepared and alert are attacked less. Alertness is critical, although no one can be alert 100% of the time.

Make sure that you train up on everything commo related - how to fill a radio, set the time on a network, install a radio, etc. Your radio is your lifeline, more important than your weapon. Obviously train up on everything you can beforehand.

Make sure that you tell your family that "no news is good news" when they don't hear from you all that often.

Anyways will post more later but the wife is yelling at me to come to bed. Good luck!
Old 09-19-2007, 22:55   #7
Flinter
Hornady Fan

DBerry, I am in the same Brigade that you are in. I got back just over a year ago, and we are heading right back to the same area. Don't spend your remaining time with your family worrying about the upcoming trip, and do your best to ease your spouse's fears. Concentrate on the positive around your family and ALWAYS point out the fact that you have at least that 99% chance of coming home alive. Vehicle travel in this country is as dangerous as a combat tour. Anyway send me a PM and we can discuss more specific information. Are you with the 113 FSB? I'm with the 1-152 RSTA.

Deadday gave you good advice regarding you family support plan.

Last edited by Flinter; 09-19-2007 at 22:58..
Flinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:03   #8
deadday

Quote:
Originally posted by Flinter
I'm with the 1-152 RSTA.

Glad to see I'm not the onl Scout on the board

Radios are most definately your savior. Your radio will bring your QRF to you, it will get the CAS overhead, it will get you home.

Why are they sending a support unit in to do Convoy Ops? What in the ---- is wrong with this Army? (I'm not saying that your unit will not perform admirably, you will all serve with Pride and Integrity, but Convoy Ops are bread and butter for Scouts, MPs, and some Infantry units..Hell, the 88Ms do plenty of convoy training..)

drew
Old 09-21-2007, 16:06   #9
shabz1319

I have done the Convoy Security Mission 3 out of the last 5 years - I am a 1SG currently in the 18th Fires BDE, located at Fort Bragg, NC... It's has changed a lot since last year - we have more IED counter measures and they have more IED employing measures... As long as your unit is trained you will be fine... Like someone said earlier - do not spend the last months arguing with the family (because that's what tends to happen)... Enjoy your family - kick ass and come home...
shabz1319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 22:34   #10
nothing
Advertisement

It will be different with any unit, but I would imagine as a 45B you will spend most of your time on the FOB. You will probably be stuck with boring mundane tasks like tower/gate guard, guarding hadji workers and other you know what details when you aren't working on weapons. I do remember our 45B's coming out to the patrol base to guage our crew serve a couple of times.

Even if you are going to be spending a lot of time outside the wire try not to spend much time worrying about it. Train hard and listen to the guys you replace. you will learn more from them than anyone else. Enjoy your time at home.
nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 22:07   #11
Jeff82
CLM Number 237
NRA Benefactor

Quote:
Originally posted by deadday
Why are they sending a support unit in to do Convoy Ops? What in the ---- is wrong with this Army?
Geez! The Air Force is now sending units to help the army run convoy security!! They are getting several weeks "army" training in Buloxi, MS and then crossing the water.

ETA:
How do I know this? I read military.com which had an article announcing this new "mission" several months ago and my wife (Lisa82) is a Realtor in the area (around Langley AFB) and just sold a house to an AF aviation maintenance E-8 who thought he was going to retire next year and instead has been extended to be the NCOIC of one of these new units. Not only are these guys not anything close to "combat arms" they're not even in the army! These guys are aircraft maintainers!

I told him to come back safe and we'll have a house warming party, he left a few days after they closed on the house and his wife and family weren't even moved in all the way before he had to leave.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." B. Franklin, 1787, outside Independence Hall

There's not "good" or "bad" muslims, only those true to their book and those that aren't, yet...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Jeff82; 09-28-2007 at 22:13..
Jeff82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 14:29   #12
Sam White
Silver Membership
I miss you bud

After I got to the Air Guard I started talking to different people about their deployments. My base has had whole squadrons assigned to the Army in Iraq and working on convoys. It's happening enough now that our base is doing some rudimentary IED drills. I worked with a Tsgt last month that had been in the Army before the Air Guard and hadn't gone anywhere but deployed a few times with the Air Guard to Army assignments.
Sam White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 23:21   #13
.40 caliber

The advice deadday gave you is priceless. I am on my tenth month over here. I also did convoy security for a while. One thing I learned is when the Army needs bodies to fill in, they will pull any one regardless of their MOS. I had guys who were cooks on the road with me and they did an outstanding job. Just keep your eyes and ears open, trust the guys around you, and know how to use that radio as someone already stated. Good luck, stay safe and come home safe.
I am counting down the days, I leave in 1 week for R and R. Then come back for 7 more months.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:46   #14
deadday

Quote:
Originally posted by .40 caliber
The advice deadday gave you is priceless. I am on my tenth month over here. I also did convoy security for a while. One thing I learned is when the Army needs bodies to fill in, they will pull any one regardless of their MOS. I had guys who were cooks on the road with me and they did an outstanding job. Just keep your eyes and ears open, trust the guys around you, and know how to use that radio as someone already stated. Good luck, stay safe and come home safe.
I am counting down the days, I leave in 1 week for R and R. Then come back for 7 more months.

Head down, chin up brother...

drew