SouthernGal
What's Up Dox?

We're Number One!!!

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...violent-crime/

Memphis leads U.S. in violent crime
But police director says city showing 7% decline in 2007
By Christopher Conley (Contact)
Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Memphis metropolitan area, after coming in second last year, tops this year's ranking of metro areas by the rate of violent crime -- homicide, rape, aggravated assault and robbery.

In 2006, according to crime numbers released by the FBI, the eight-county Memphis metropolitan area recorded 1,262.7 violent crimes per 100,000 residents, the highest rate in the nation.

Last year, the Florence, S.C., metropolitan statistical area had the highest violent crime rate in the country. Memphis came in second with 1,197 violent crimes per 100,000 residents. And that was up from 1,132 in 2004.

The Memphis metro area includes Crittenden County in Arkansas, DeSoto, Marshall, Tate and Tunica counties in Mississippi, and Fayette, Shelby, Tipton counties in Tennessee.

But the people are concentrated in Memphis and Shelby County. And so far in 2007, violent crimes inside the Memphis city limits have dropped by about 7 percent, according to Memphis Police Director Larry Godwin.

Overall, the serious crimes that are reported to the FBI -- which includes both crimes against persons and property crimes -- are down this year by just over 6 percent.

Memphis-Shelby Crime Commission head Michael Heidingsfield wasn't surprised by the most recent numbers.

In fact, the poor numbers for 2005 were part of the impetus for Project Safe Community, an effort to bring all the local law enforcement and other sectors of the community together in a comprehensive crime reduction plan.

When looking at what's happening in Memphis, it's important to consider what other factors set the area apart from places with lower rates of crime, he said.

"Memphis doesn't enjoy the typical suburban affluence that other areas do, and that could set us aside," Heidingsfield explained.

"As there is re-gentrification in the inner cities, you see a change in crime rates," he said.

New York is probably the best example, where they have seen several decades of rebuilding. Violent crime, and street crime generally, are typically displaced by an influx of wealth.

Also, the numbers released by the FBI reflect only what has been reported to them by local communities.

Not all communities report the same way, despite the conversion in 2000/2001 to NIBRS (National Incident-Based Reporting System), an attempt to standardize crime reporting nationwide.

Other nearby cities didn't fare well either on the FBI numbers this year: the Little Rock metro area registered 905.5 violent crimes per 100,000; Nashville-Davidson MSA had 857.7.

Jackson, Miss., was well down the list with 456 violent crimes per 100,000.

-- Chris Conley: 529-2595

Violent crime

Memphis topped the list of 311 metro areas in its 2006 rate of violent crime -- homicide, rape, aggravated assault and robbery. The top 10 and selected others (violent crimes per 100,000 residents):

1. Memphis 1,262.7
2. Sumter, S.C. 1,244.0
3. Shreveport, La. 1,187.9
4. Florence, S.C. 1,160.6
5. Saginaw, Mich. 1,089.8
6. Alexandria, La. 1,067.4
7. Gainesville, Fla. 934.1
8. Anchorage, Alaska 932.3
9. Flint, Mich. 929.6
10. Salisbury, Md. 907.6
12. Little Rock 905.5
13. Jackson, Tenn. 879.2
20. Nashville 857.7
59. Chattanooga 599.5
74. Jonesboro, Ark. 561.9
106. Knoxville 513.5
131. Jackson, Miss. 456.1

Source: crimetrends.com
Old 09-27-2007, 15:18   #2
swatmed4

Re: We're Number One!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SouthernGal

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...violent-crime/

Memphis leads U.S. in violent crime
But police director says city showing 7% decline in 2007
By Christopher Conley (Contact)
Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Memphis metropolitan area, after coming in second last year, tops this year's ranking of metro areas by the rate of violent crime -- homicide, rape, aggravated assault and robbery.

In 2006, according to crime numbers released by the FBI, the eight-county Memphis metropolitan area recorded 1,262.7 violent crimes per 100,000 residents, the highest rate in the nation.

Last year, the Florence, S.C., metropolitan statistical area had the highest violent crime rate in the country. Memphis came in second with 1,197 violent crimes per 100,000 residents. And that was up from 1,132 in 2004.

The Memphis metro area includes Crittenden County in Arkansas, DeSoto, Marshall, Tate and Tunica counties in Mississippi, and Fayette, Shelby, Tipton counties in Tennessee.

But the people are concentrated in Memphis and Shelby County. And so far in 2007, violent crimes inside the Memphis city limits have dropped by about 7 percent, according to Memphis Police Director Larry Godwin.

Overall, the serious crimes that are reported to the FBI -- which includes both crimes against persons and property crimes -- are down this year by just over 6 percent.

Memphis-Shelby Crime Commission head Michael Heidingsfield wasn't surprised by the most recent numbers.

In fact, the poor numbers for 2005 were part of the impetus for Project Safe Community, an effort to bring all the local law enforcement and other sectors of the community together in a comprehensive crime reduction plan.

When looking at what's happening in Memphis, it's important to consider what other factors set the area apart from places with lower rates of crime, he said.

"Memphis doesn't enjoy the typical suburban affluence that other areas do, and that could set us aside," Heidingsfield explained.

"As there is re-gentrification in the inner cities, you see a change in crime rates," he said.

New York is probably the best example, where they have seen several decades of rebuilding. Violent crime, and street crime generally, are typically displaced by an influx of wealth.

Also, the numbers released by the FBI reflect only what has been reported to them by local communities.

Not all communities report the same way, despite the conversion in 2000/2001 to NIBRS (National Incident-Based Reporting System), an attempt to standardize crime reporting nationwide.

Other nearby cities didn't fare well either on the FBI numbers this year: the Little Rock metro area registered 905.5 violent crimes per 100,000; Nashville-Davidson MSA had 857.7.

Jackson, Miss., was well down the list with 456 violent crimes per 100,000.

-- Chris Conley: 529-2595

Violent crime

Memphis topped the list of 311 metro areas in its 2006 rate of violent crime -- homicide, rape, aggravated assault and robbery. The top 10 and selected others (violent crimes per 100,000 residents):

1. Memphis 1,262.7
2. Sumter, S.C. 1,244.0
3. Shreveport, La. 1,187.9
4. Florence, S.C. 1,160.6
5. Saginaw, Mich. 1,089.8
6. Alexandria, La. 1,067.4
7. Gainesville, Fla. 934.1
8. Anchorage, Alaska 932.3
9. Flint, Mich. 929.6
10. Salisbury, Md. 907.6
12. Little Rock 905.5
13. Jackson, Tenn. 879.2
20. Nashville 857.7
59. Chattanooga 599.5
74. Jonesboro, Ark. 561.9
106. Knoxville 513.5
131. Jackson, Miss. 456.1

Source: crimetrends.com
It is the only thing Memphis will ever be number one at. Look at there leadership, or the lack of it.
swatmed4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:45   #3
WIMPY

But our fine city is led by a King. King Willie.
WIMPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:43   #4
NRA_guy
Unreconstructed

Gee. High crime in all those big cities.

Now what could the common denominator possibly be?

Hmmmmmmm. I just can't put my finger on it.

Can't be poverty, because people in lots of rural areas are as poor but don't have the high crime rates.

Can't be race, because we are all equal.

Maybe if the pollsters and statistics examiners would take a stroll through some big cities late at night they could figure out a cause.

Conservatives have faith in individuals; liberals put their faith in the government.
NRA_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:34   #5
Akita
gone

Quote:
Originally posted by NRA_guy

Can't be poverty, because people in lots of rural areas are as poor but don't have the high crime rates.

Maybe if the pollsters and statistics examiners would take a stroll through some big cities late at night they could figure out a cause.
And the REALLY sad thing is that we cant speak our minds about what the obvious cause of this is. Even here at GT. That wouldnt be PC.
One day its gonna blow. Be Ready to defend yourselves.
Akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:54   #6
SouthernGal
What's Up Dox?

I'm watching the Mayorial election now and I'm just wondering if maybe there's some glimmer of hope. Polls are showing Chumney and Herenton in a statistical dead heat. I am also wondering if the current leadership is going to try to pull a slick one and possibly try to dig up some dirt on Ms. Chumney in the 11th hour. Guess this makes me one of the "haters".

Quote:
I invite you to click that link and look at some of the posts the CA readers put on that article. Go ahead, you'll be amused.

It's not difficult to answer this one. The guy has driven the city into the dirt and yet he still finds deragatory things to say about North MS on TV every single night.
Old 09-28-2007, 22:07   #7
armed
lefty power!

It sucks, but Willie will probably win again. If only Herman or Chumney would step aside, Willie would get clobbered, but it won't happen. BTW, Heidingsfield, the crime commission head, is a nut job. Everybody thinks he's such a hero because he went to Iraq for a year. How much did that gig pay?
Old 10-01-2007, 21:42   #8
tercel89

I am from Clarksville but my wife and me went down there to Memphis to just look around and shop and stuff .Well we went out to eat and the food went right through me just as we were passing through the bad part of Memphis I pulled into a gas station , gave my wife my Glock and went inside and took the quickest poop of my life!!!!! It was like a war zone there . No gunfire but there was lots of questionable looking people roaming around. After that we got the hell outta there.
tercel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:54   #9
NRA_guy
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally posted by tercel89
I am from Clarksville but my wife and me went down there to Memphis to just look around and shop and stuff .Well we went out to eat and the food went right through me just as we were passing through the bad part of Memphis I pulled into a gas station , gave my wife my Glock and went inside and took the quickest poop of my life!!!!! It was like a war zone there . No gunfire but there was lots of questionable looking people roaming around. After that we got the hell outta there.
As I said above:
Quote:

Some folks can't see the jungle for all the trees.

Conservatives have faith in individuals; liberals put their faith in the government.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:27   #10
SouthernGal
What's Up Dox?

Quote:
Originally posted by armed
It sucks, but Willie will probably win again.
That is my big fear as well. I just wish that somewhere, there was someone who could put this guy out of office and start to clean this city up...starting with city hall.

The other big problem is the same problem that's been around for years, and I've talked about it here before. We've got kids having kids, not finishing school and they think that robbing and stealing is a good way to make a living. The breakdown of the family has led to a good portion of the problems here. Until that problem is solved and parents start being parents and teaching values and morals AT HOME none of this is ever going to change.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:52   #11
Akita
gone

Its a Cultural thang, and we're losing our culture in this country.
Demographics will be our death.
Old 10-02-2007, 20:43   #12
armed
lefty power!

Quote:
Originally posted by tercel89
. No gunfire but there was lots of questionable looking people roaming around
They were probably our elected representatives.
Old 10-02-2007, 20:47   #13
armed
lefty power!

off topic

Hey Akita, you ready to sell me that 9mm AR? I need it here more than you do!
Old 10-03-2007, 10:03   #14
Akita
gone

9mm's are for Playing. And with ammo prices the way they are, I wouldnt even Think of selling it!
Please dont tell me you dont have a Homeland Defense(terror comes in all shades) AR in either 223, 308 or 6.8! That'd be unamerican.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:14   #15
SouthernGal
What's Up Dox?

Re: off topic

Quote:
Originally posted by armed
Hey Akita, you ready to sell me that 9mm AR? I need it here more than you do!
I'm glad I don't have to buy ammo for any of the SO's full-auto stuff. It eats too much too fast.

Hold on to your seats! Election day is tomorrow!
Old 10-05-2007, 08:15   #16
SouthernGal
What's Up Dox?

Re: Re: off topic

Quote:
Originally posted by SouthernGal
Hold on to your seats! Election day is tomorrow!

Well, King Willie has once again guaranteed the growth of DeSoto and Fayette Counties in the next few years:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...he-loyal-hits/

There are rumors circulating that he will not complete out this term, and that all that is required for him to draw his current salary for the rest of his life is to serve 2 years of his 4-year term. Sounds just like a typical "Herentonism"...

And notice the majority of voters did NOT vote for Herenton in this election.
Old 10-20-2007, 13:12   #17
SMSTRICK
"WE THE PEOPLE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA_guy View Post

Race IS a key factor and is a common denominator in the Memphis murder rate. I do not mean to sound racist,....but stats are stats. I am from the inner city of Birmingham , Alabama. I never got around to "celebrating " diversity. I had to "overcome" diversity by leaving the city of Birmingham due to the incredibly HIGH rape, robbery, murder, home invasion, drive by shooting (crime) rate, perpetrated primarily by the blacks (who still claim to be the oppressed minority even though there are no whites left to oppess.)
I'm sorry for negative vibes,.......but I still think that you would be amazed if you7 really look at the racial break down statistically in the metro cities with the highest murder rates.
SMSTRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:29   #18
NRA_guy
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSTRICK View Post
Race IS a key factor and is a common denominator in the Memphis murder rate. I do not mean to sound racist,....but stats are stats. I am from the inner city of Birmingham , Alabama. I never got around to "celebrating " diversity. I had to "overcome" diversity by leaving the city of Birmingham due to the incredibly HIGH rape, robbery, murder, home invasion, drive by shooting (crime) rate, perpetrated primarily by the blacks (who still claim to be the oppressed minority even though there are no whites left to oppess.)
I'm sorry for negative vibes,.......but I still think that you would be amazed if you7 really look at the racial break down statistically in the metro cities with the highest murder rates.
My comment was tongue-in-cheek. You and I both KNOW what the problem is, but society (and GT) will not allow that discussion.

It is not unlike the Pope disallowing Copernicus to debate his theory about the Earth rotating around the sun. It simply was not allowed--even though he was right and he could prove it. Not unlike Hitler, Stalin, and radical Moslems disallowing discussion of opposing views.

And not unlike the Thought Police in Geo. Orwell's "1984".

We allow both sides to make their case in all other situations (e.g., cold fusion, big bang, global warming) and even such controversial subjects as abortion and sex with children.

Even if you disagree with someone's conclusion, there should be room for debate about the hypothesis.

But not regarding racial differences. One cannot talk about it if he disparages the minority group. This was demonstrated last week by the British guy who won the Noble prize in medicine (he commented about Africans). He immediately had to retract his comments and apologize. Nevertheless, he was fired and banished:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,302836,00.html

DNA Discoverer: Blacks Less Intelligent Than Whites

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/19/sc...ml?ref=science

“Nobel Winner Issues Apology for Comments About Blacks”

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsO...44930820071019

“Lab suspends scientist Watson over comments on race”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dan-ag...-_b_68953.html

“How Not to End a Career: The Racism of James D. Watson”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by NRA_guy; 10-21-2007 at 05:33..
Old 10-21-2007, 06:11   #19
Norman
CLM Number 32
Non nobis

Shocking to see Gainesville, FL on that list.
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:29   #20
Thick45

I'm sure most on here understand who is responsible for a majority of the violent crimes in the inner cities, and once again, I agree with SouthernGal in that the breakdown of the family is a strong contributing factor.

As shooting enthusiasts, what do you do if you are at your local range, and someone from this 'group' shows up?