Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:15   #1
Cliff Cargill

Clarion Ledger Story On Gun Seizures...please read.

This is today's Clarion Ledger story about "gun seizures". They had a qoute from me in there. Please, I want all of you to share your thoughts on the forums page which is attached to the story page.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...NEWS/709260372

Let em' hear the Mississippi Glockers roar!

www.nrams.com
Cliff Cargill-Mississippi Glocker #112
NRA Firearms Instructor (1992) (Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Safety, Personal Protection)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Life (1991)
USPSA Life (L-1610) ICORE Life (LMS1972)

Last edited by Cliff Cargill; 09-26-2007 at 09:56..
Cliff Cargill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:10   #2
PARAGON

Specifically, the police chief of Jackson being quoted as saying "Police Chief Shirlene Anderson said the department hopes to persuade legislators to make a change in the concealed weapons law to make it tougher for underage residents to carry loaded firearms in their vehicles. State law allows anyone over 18 to carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle. Residents must be 21 to purchase a handgun.

Anderson said police at roadblocks often find young people with loaded handguns in plain view. If it's not stolen or if the driver does not have a felony record, there is nothing police can do. "You just have to give it back to them," she said.

If the chief would make this city a safer place to drive through, then maybe people would not feel the need to drive around with loaded handguns by their side. Quite frankly, what reason does the chief have to bother the law abiding citizen simply because they have a loaded handgun in plain view.... which is accepted under state law. If they had a knife in plain view, do they check to see if it's stolen or if the driver has a felony record?

Of course there is nothing the police can do because there is nothing they should do. They are not breaking the law. What the JPD should do is concentrate on when the laws ARE broken and on those that choose to do so.

This comment by Anderson is one of the most absurd comments made by a person in this position (besides Frank Melton). The reason is, that it is determined that one has become adult status at 18. Only you defend yourself at that age. You can own personal property and can defend yourself within that personal property. Arbitrarily changing the law just due to another law's age requirement show's a lack of understanding of the system of laws Ms. Anderson has been appointed to uphold. This, along, with many other things in the recent past, points to a systemic problem with the Chief's inability to properly run a Police Department.

Infringing on the honest and law-abiding citizens to simply make it easier on the Police is not acceptable. The citizen has a right and the necessity to protect themselves and their family.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:05   #3
trbaldridge

I have a question about this. It is plainly stated that someone has to be over the age of 18 to have a handgun in the car. Does that mean "young people" can have a handgun in the car one day after their 18th birthday or does it mean they have to wait till their 19th birthday? (I have always hated the term "young people" and still get a wrinkle when I see it used, I guess it causes flashbacks to some of the worst of the high school teachers I had to endure, or had to endure me depending on where you were sitting.)

terry
trbaldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:33   #4
Cliff Cargill

Terry, be sure let the readers of the CL forum know what you think. Others from here a have.
NRA Firearms Instructor (1992) (Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Safety, Personal Protection)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Life (1991)
Old 09-26-2007, 11:16   #5
NoloContendere
OAF Lawyer

"We're going to continue to aggressively pursue persons who are possessing firearms."

This says it all right here. Why not pursue the felons in possession rather than just "persons?"

"Ward 3 City Councilman Kenneth Stokes said the gun interdiction unit is working.
To aid the police, Stokes said Mississippi needs to have stricter gun laws. "I believe the gun shows and these pawn shops diminish the achievements of these unit," he said. "We get just as many guns put back on the streets ... than the Police Department gets off the street."

The laws do need to be changed. You shouldn't need a permit to carry a gun, period. Gun shows and pawn shops... Have you read the law as it is now? I bet you haven't. Not just *anyone* can buy a gun at a gun show or a pawn shop. THE SAME LAWS APPLY. Rolling Eyes

"Anderson said police at roadblocks often find young people with loaded handguns in plain view. If it's not stolen or if the driver does not have a felony record, there is nothing police can do. "You just have to give it back to them," she said."

Chief Anderson; We, the people, do not live in a police state. If someone is NOT BREAKING THE LAW, then leave them alone. What do you want police to do? Let me ask you the same question as Stokes. Have you read the law?

"The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, a Washington-based gun control lobbying group, gives Mississippi a grade of "F" for what the group called the state's loose regulation of gun sales."

And they give California an "A-". There have been 600+ gun homicides in Los Angeles so far. Wow. Great credibility guys.

"Alabama, for instance, requires firearms to be unloaded and "in a bag, box or securely wrapped package" when transported in a car."

Alabama, for instance, has one of the easiest conceal weapons permits to obtain. You go to the sheriff, pay him $25, and get your permit. End of story.

There does not need to be any new gun laws. And Chief, you should be ashamed of yourself and your department for harassing people that legally exercise their right to keep and bear arms.
Old 09-26-2007, 13:58   #6
lumberjack
One of Many

Send a message via AIM to lumberjack
Terry, 18 years old to the day is well enough.

I believe you can carry a rifle or shotgun at 16.

Alabama isn't a shall issue state, the state requires the applicant be at least 18, most Sherriffs require the applicant to be 19.

Stephen, do you happen to have the gun induced homicide figures for our state this year? I'd think it is under 600...
lumberjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 15:47   #7
NoloContendere
OAF Lawyer

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjack

Stephen, do you happen to have the gun induced homicide figures for our state this year? I'd think it is under 600...
Carl,

I *think* Jackson is sitting around 57'ish???? It's WAYYYY under 600.... I know you were talking about all of MS...
Old 09-26-2007, 18:59   #8
PARAGON

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjack
Terry, 18 years old to the day is well enough.

I believe you can carry a rifle or shotgun at 16.

Alabama isn't a shall issue state, the state requires the applicant be at least 18, most Sherriffs require the applicant to be 19.

215 Homicides in 2005, 70% commited by gun. 223 in 2006 but I'm unsure of the gun usage.

I don't think total MS homicides have exceeded 400.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:02   #9
para40
curmudgeon

New Mayor,new Chief---Just a thought!
Old 09-27-2007, 12:14   #10
Cliff Cargill

Quote:
Originally posted by para40
New Mayor,new Chief---Just a thought!
I just agree!

NRA Life (1991)
Old 09-29-2007, 20:32   #11
Ballyhoo

In addition to new judges and more jail space. Round em up, lock em up, and lose the key.

Old 10-03-2007, 22:46   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by PARAGON
215 Homicides in 2005, 70% commited by gun. 223 in 2006 but I'm unsure of the gun usage.

I don't think total MS homicides have exceeded 400.
With David Williams, Daniel Cummings and whoever shot Rodney Lockhart, the murder rate up here in Oxford seems to have gone up a bit in the last year or so.

Is it just me or is it strangely, morbidly, and a little humorously poetic that the number of murders in 2006 was 223?
Chris
2126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 19:44   #13
NRA_guy
Unreconstructed

I read through that article and did not see any mention of what the city does with confiscated guns.

At one time LEO folks were a great source of firearms. They kept them and would sell you one really cheap (or give you one) if you were their friend.

I have seen some places destroy them with a metal chop saw or torch.

I have seen pictures of Australia dumping them in the ocean.

Does anybody know what Jackson does with all those guns?

Sort of strange to me that the "investigative reporter" didn't ask.

I have second hand knowledge what they do with stolen cars. They released a recovered stolen car from the impound yard to somebody who presented a Xeroxed title with a Whited Out and typed over VIN number that matched the impounded car.

Conservatives have faith in individuals; liberals put their faith in the government.
NRA_guy is offline   Reply With Quote